• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Overrated Movies

List some films you believe were overrated.

For me
Star Wars

ugh I just can't stand these movies, they are impossible to get into, I absolutely hate them, the acting is horrible, Mark Hamill sucks, I don't know why they are just boring

Charaligatr

The Secret Rascal

For me
Star Wars

ugh I just can't stand these movies, they are impossible to get into, I absolutely hate them, the acting is horrible, Mark Hamill sucks, I don't know why they are just boring

Care to elaborate bud?

You have just ran into the biggest Star Wars fanboy in the ****ing universe

Sorry for stealing and modifiying your quote from the book thread XD Couldn't help myself. It was such a good responce that I felt compelled to use it.

But I can see where you're coming from. Star Wars is overrated. To me, this is not a bad thing. As I was practically raised on the films, it's hard for me to see them in a different light. There's too much nostalgia in my rose tinted view to see them as bad. I can forgive all its faults - The creaky special effects, the cheesy dialogue, the fact that Mark Hamill can't act. The originals that is. The prequels are just awful.

So yeah, they're overrated, but, IMO, good enough to warrant it. Kinda like FF7.

As for films that I find overrated AND don't like, it's mainly teen comedy things like Superbad. When that came out, everyone was going on about it - TV, radio, newspaper. I just couldn't see what the fuss was about.

Guess it's down to personal opinion on whether somethings overrated, which doesn't always mean that it's bad.

Oh but Titanic for sure. Just can't stand it.

XSilverStarboyX

For me
Star Wars

I loved the original 3 Star Wars with Luke Skywalker as the hero, but I thought the 3 movies with Anakin Skywalker as the hero were the ones that were overrated. I just think it didnt feel original plus it doesnt help I knew how it was going to end;152;

The Thrashmeister

<-- Made of awesome.
The Dark Knight was a great movie (one of my favorite movies), but honestly, it's not that great. And Heath Ledger was great in it, but his performance didn't "absolutely blow me away" like other people.

I'm really kind of confused as to why people are overhyping it so much. Hell, some people are even suggesting it in the "Best American Film Ever Made" thread.

Don't get me wrong. I love TDK.
But seriously? It's not that amazing.

The Dark Knight was a great movie (one of my favorite movies), but honestly, it's not that great. And Heath Ledger was great in it, but his performance didn't "absolutely blow me away" like other people.

I'm really kind of confused as to why people are overhyping it so much. Hell, some people are even suggesting it in the "Best American Film Ever Made" thread.

Give it some credit, people went in expecting something at Spiderman 2 level, we got No Country for Old men/American Beuty level. It can't compare to the greats (Kane, Godfather) but its still the best of the decade.

Ledgers performance was astounding, if your seasoned movie watcher, and you notice little things Dark Knight was a return to movie making at its best, old style, cinematography not special effects, great acting not big name actors. Original movie posters, not "theze dawgs got mad photoshopz zkills dawgs". You gotta admit, it was nostalgia, without the nostalgia it'll also make other movies better because it was a huge success, and Hollywood will hire more directors like nolan, and I doubt superhero movies are dissapearing anytime soon.

Give it some credit, people went in expecting something at Spiderman 2 level, we got No Country for Old men/American Beuty level. It can't compare to the greats (Kane, Godfather) but its still the best of the decade.

Ledgers performance was astounding, if your seasoned movie watcher, and you notice little things Dark Knight was a return to movie making at its best, old style, cinematography not special effects, great acting not big name actors. Original movie posters, not "theze dawgs got mad photoshopz zkills dawgs". You gotta admit, it was nostalgia, without the nostalgia

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
I know this is a One Liner but.

High School Musical.

Nuff' Said.

The Thrashmeister

<-- Made of awesome.

Ledgers performance was astounding, if your seasoned movie watcher, and you notice little things Dark Knight was a return to movie making at its best, old style, cinematography not special effects, great acting not big name actors. Original movie posters, not "theze dawgs got mad photoshopz zkills dawgs". You gotta admit, it was nostalgia, without the nostalgia

I am giving it some credit. I'm giving it lots of credit in fact. The Dark Knight was definitely one of the best movies of 2008. But I just sincerely wasn't blown away by it.

Like I said, Ledger's performance was great, but it wasn't astounding, as you say. At least for me.

What it boils down to is opinion, and my opinion is that The Dark Knight is a great movie, but still overrated.

And no, I'm not a "seasoned movie watcher."

Last edited:
yes i hate High School Musical.... i also thing that the 'movies' series is over rated too (epic movie, superhero movie) i just thought those were soo stupid, epic movie was the first movie and only movie i've ever walked out on

Shaymin~

Transformers. I'm really not sure how so many people could enjoy watching a bunch of giant robots pummeling the hell out of each other for 2 hours. And thanks to Michael Bay's horrendous directing, you can't even tell what the hell's going on; it's just a bunch of explosions and metal flying everywhere. Not to mention the dull characters and stupid plot. And to think they're making a sequel to this thing.....

And High School Musical is only overrated among preteen girls who will do anything Disney tells them to do.

Transformers. I'm really not sure how so many people could enjoy watching a bunch of giant robots pummeling the hell out of each other for 2 hours. And thanks to Michael Bay's horrendous directing, you can't even tell what the hell's going on; it's just a bunch of explosions and metal flying everywhere. Not to mention the dull characters and stupid plot. And to think they're making a sequel to this thing.....

And High School Musical is only overrated among preteen girls who will do anything Disney tells them to do.

yeah the transformers movie got old quick

Spire

soiya
bunch of giant robots pummeling the hell out of each other for 2 hours.
See, if you watch Transformers with this expectation, you'll enjoy it. If you watch Transformers with any higher expectations than that, you'll hate it.

The three original Star Wars were amazing, whereas The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones were terrible (Return of the Sith could be argued as a return to form.)

The Dark Knight was fantastic, and the person who came up with High School Musical should be publicly lynched.

EDIT: Yes, I know I like italics.

XSilverStarboyX

Thats really true I forgot about that. I mean, I love Transformers but I was never really a Transformers kid so that contributes a lot to it;152;.

cascade88

< go ask alice >
Spiderman 2. Dear god. No really, I love the first one, and pretty much just assumed I'd love the second one because of that, but no. And everyone was raving about it before it came out and a little while after the fact as well, but I still don't get what was so great about it. Like I said, the first one pwns, but it's sequal was just too long, too boring, and I really don't get why people liked it so much.

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
Pirates of the Carribean 2.

Oh, Lord. I went with my dad, even though he hadn't seen the first one. I explained the plot to him, and I said "It'll be good, trust me." Ugh. I was so bored at that movie. Not enough Johnny Depp, too much attack of the fish people. I was so put off by it that I haven't even seen the third one.

I know this is a One Liner but.

High School Musical.

Nuff' Said.

this will probably be the 1000th time in the thread we will mention this. The francise is just horrible.

transformers was aswome,you dont know what your talking about.

Last edited:

Nidogod

The Nightmare Before Christmas
Pirates of the Caribbean
Citizen Kane (I went there)
Transformers
Donny Darko
A Scanner Darkly
The Matrix

To name a few. These movies are all the same. They are very good movies with very creative ideas. I would rate these all at least 8/10. The thing is, they have a certain style that is unique to themselves. When people catch on to that style the movie becomes a bit of a fad (for a lack of a better term) and their advertising goes from commercials that may or may not seem interesting, to every single person who's seen the movie. Take the very recent TDK for example. Think sbout how many commericals you saw as opposed to people you heard say, "Oh my God I can't believe you haven't seen it. It's the greatest move ever, you have to go this weekend." They aren't bad, they just get blown up because they have a flair that makes them the hot thing of the week rather than another movie.

That's why I prefer to watch movies like this at least 2 years after they are released. Then I don't remember the hype and no one really cares anymore so I can watch it with no expectations and I can enjoy them for the movies they are instead of, "Well it was pretty good, but I don't know about 35 Academy Awards, 600 billion dollars in the Box Office, and the greatest movie ever created in this history of mankind.."

treespyro

Vintage much?
Overrated hmm..

Ironman, The recent Star Wars Movie (Episode 3) and maybe Pirates of the Carribean

pogo

Give it some credit, people went in expecting something at Spiderman 2 level, we got No Country for Old men/American Beuty level.
Lol what? With Christopher Nolan directing and Christian Bale etc starring I really don't think anyone expected it to be at a Spiderman 2 level.