• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Overrated Movies

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
The Dark Knight definitely. It was a great film, really interesting. But it wasn't as good as it was made out to be, people were saying it was the film of the decade but it wasn't that good. Acting was good and special effects, but it was so hyped up that when I watched it I expected this thing that I wouldn't keep my eyes off. I easily went to the toilet halfway through it!

Pearl's Perap

I'm in agreement with the Dark Knight. I don't think it would have gotten half the coverage and reviews it did if Heath Ledger hadn't have died. The hype for it was really big for something, well, mediocre.

Kipcha

You know people, just because Heath Ledger died, doesn't mean his performance as the Joker wasn't amazing. He stepped away from his regular acting and went into something fresh and new, and hit it spot on. He was amazing, and I'm not saying that because he passed away. I'm saying it because he was.

Anyways, I always found the Godfather overrated. Admittedly, never made it all the way through because I just found it so boring.

Theif

The King of Darkness
The Dark Knight definitely. It was a great film, really interesting. But it wasn't as good as it was made out to be, people were saying it was the film of the decade but it wasn't that good. Acting was good and special effects, but it was so hyped up that when I watched it I expected this thing that I wouldn't keep my eyes off. I easily went to the toilet halfway through it!
True well it was interesing but i too when to the toilet halfway trough it ^-^

Cipher

Nothing to be done
The Dark Knight is not overrated. I do believe it was mentioned earlier, but it's a return to form for films. It's not focused around shiny special effects, it's focused around the writing, the acting, the atmosphere. To the guy who said WB capitalized off of Ledger's death, you're wrong. Well before he died the Joker was already a heavily advertised aspect of the film, and he was a controversial choice that was garnering a ton of attention.
Look again. I loved The Dark Knight, but it is still absurdly overrated. No other film has managed to generate such record numbers of appalling hate mail every time a remotely negative review is published.

And yes, the writing, themes, and acting were all terrific for a populist action movie. But were they the word of god? No. People will tell you it's the deepest movie ever made because they've never seen an independant film or cracked open a book besides Harry Potter. It's a good movie, and I'm glad it exposed people to relatively intellegent cinema, but it is undeniably overrated.

Look again. I loved The Dark Knight, but it is still absurdly overrated. No other film has managed to generate such record numbers of appalling hate mail every time a remotely negative review is published.

And yes, the writing, themes, and acting were all terrific for a populist action movie. But were they the word of god? No. People will tell you it's the deepest movie ever made because they've never seen an independant film or cracked open a book besides Harry Potter. It's a good movie, and I'm glad it exposed people to relatively intellegent cinema, but it is undeniably overrated.

The Dark Knight is the worlds first Arthouse blockbuster it deserved every moment of press coverage it got.

Heath Ledgers acting was phenomenal, one of the best villains ever filmed.

And no it wasn't The Godfather, or Citizen Kane but it was the only film this year that could even be compared to those two..

That makes it great

Cipher

Nothing to be done
The Dark Knight is the worlds first Arthouse blockbuster it deserved every moment of press coverage it got.
I'd call it 80% blockbuster, 20% arthouse, and people are acting like it's the other way around.

And sure it deserved coverage. It's a great movie. It does not, however, deserve the amount of nerd rage that's being displayed even in this very thread.

That makes it great
And like many "great" movies, it is overrated. A movie can be terrific, but if people act like it's the second coming of Jesus, it's still overrrated.

No more on the matter.

Archimedes

Not Dead Yet
The Dark Knight - I really enjoyed it, and I'm inclined to like most things with Batman in them. But people take it way to seriously. I haven't seen populist philosophy that ham-fisted since...anything I can remember, really.

If you're starving for "deep-thinkey" Batman, read a copy of The Dark Knight Returns, or even The Dark Knight Strikes Again.

DKSA is Frank Miller taking what he popularized with DKR and Year One, namely GRIM GRITTY NOIR Batman, and beating it into the ground with bad writing, ugly, ugly art, and one of the worst color jobs I've seen in a comic. Even starving men shouldn't eat rotten apples.

For god's sake the villain is Dick Grayson.

Cipher

Nothing to be done
DKSA is Frank Miller taking what he popularized with DKR and Year One, namely GRIM GRITTY NOIR Batman, and beating it into the ground with bad writing, ugly, ugly art, and one of the worst color jobs I've seen in a comic. Even starving men shouldn't eat rotten apples.
He said before it was released that it would be a response to the dark era of comic writing he'd ushered in. The Dark Knight Strikes Again is supposed to be the polar opposite of DKR. It's flashy, it uses large images and incomprehensible digital art to show a media saturation far different from the talking heads of the former book. It's a book that discourages all that while nearly outright saying "Superheroes are supposed to be fun. Look up to us again." He could've done that by writing a campy silver-age romp, but instead he mixed it in with unsettling satire. This book was supposed to anger DKR fans, but to do so with a purpose.

For god's sake the villain is Dick Grayson.
Alright, so that was stupid. But it's not out of line with the surreal, Miller-having-fun mood of the book.

DKR and DKSA are very similar in spirit. They're both a massive "f*ck you" to the state of the comics industry at the time of they're respective releases, mixed in with social satire.