• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Overrated Pokémon

Räven Velish

black lives matter
Overrated Pokémon

I know there is a thread on here called Unloved Pokemon. This is the opposite. Here, you discuss the Pokemon you feel are overrated. Hmm, I think I'll start. We are all guilty of using some of these, but: Gardevoir, Gallade, Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence, Metagross, Flygon, Salamence, Garchomp, Hydriegon, Arcanine, Sawsbuck. The list could go on and on, but the rest are for you to talk about!

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Sawsbuck, I... I don't understand.

Metagross could be overrated, but as with many of your other examples, its overrated for a good reason. Metagross is really smashing with Meteor Mash.

Hikatoshi26

Metagross could be overrated, but as with many of your other examples, its overrated for a good reason. Metagross is really smashing with Meteor Mash.

Don't forget earthquake its a devastating Physical sweeper or a very effective wall for triple teams.

What's overrated to me are all Ubers. I don't use Ubers with the exception of Excadrill apparently.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Charizard for sure. I like him but I don't over love him unlike a lot of fans. The neck disturbs be however but that doesn't mean I hate him at all.

And I don't see how Sawsbuck is overrated.

Don't forget earthquake its a devastating Physical sweeper or a very effective wall for triple teams.

What's overrated to me are all Ubers. I don't use Ubers with the exception of Excadrill apparently.

Are you playing Random Matchups?

Last edited:

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
Well I suppose it depends on what sort of 'overrated' is being referred to, for battling or just general fandom?

Because if the latter, then there are several, Charizard, Lucario and Gardevoir spring to mind.

Elnava

The Successor!
Charizard for sure. He's alright and he's one of mah fire brethren but I never really understood why people went crazy about him. I get that he looks kinda cool but...

Elnava

The Successor!
Infernape as well. I never knew what people saw in him, I really never liked him much at all

Xionea

Half a centaur
Lucario is one of the most overrated Pokemon I've ever seen. It was one of the first 4th gen Pokemon revealed, it's in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, it had a movie of its own (and its not even a legendary!), I see it used in competitive battling all the time, and everyone geeks out over how early you can get it in the second gen 5 games.

It's just a Lucario, people.

pokemonjoe2000

Gotta Catch 'em All!
Lucario, mew, pikachu, the TM hidden power, and oshawott in the anime.

pokemonjoe2000

Gotta Catch 'em All!
Lucario, mew, pikachu, the TM hidden power, and oshawott in the anime. oh and of course castform.

Kurry

Lucario is one of the most overrated Pokemon I've ever seen. It was one of the first 4th gen Pokemon revealed, it's in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, it had a movie of its own (and its not even a legendary!), I see it used in competitive battling all the time, and everyone geeks out over how early you can get it in the second gen 5 games.

It's just a Lucario, people.

I've always felt like that Pokemon's popularity is ill deserved. Admittedly, I fell for it back in the 4th gen days when Lucario was shoved in our face. What with the movie and it replacing Mewtwo in Brawl. I actually thought it was cool. It feels like they tried the same crap with Zoroark but with less luck. :/

icebolt

Aerial Ace
Charizard
Eeveelutions, especially Umbreon
Lucario
Zoroark
Gardevoir (oh lord why does this abomination exist)
Absol
Mewtwo
Lugia
Blaziken
Darkrai

Everything is overrated for a reason though.

This is a highly subjective discussion.....

Overrated in the sense of what? There's no hard evidence here. It's purely arbitrary and there is nothing to really back many of these claims. The only way to concretely classify something as overrated is analyzing it's usage, and it's average number of KO's per faint. (this method is only truly viable for Offensive pokemon) It doesn't seem like the term overrated fits here. The Pokemon would have to fail to meet their reputation that precedes them from the perspective of the majority of informed battlers....

If we are talking about from the perspective of general fandom then many of the Pokemon listed are still highly debatable cases. In their respective games, most of the Pokemon listed are very helpful in making the game a breeze... especially the Pseudo-Legends.

I think a better term for this is most "Popular" Pokemon because I only see two Pokemon (Gardevoir & Charizard) that can be considered overrated from a battling perspective. Even then, those two are still highly debatable because very few battlers even utilize them on the servers that yield statistics.

If something is overrated for a "good reason" then it's technically not even overrated....

Last edited:

Golemite

Lucario is one of the most overrated Pokemon I've ever seen. It was one of the first 4th gen Pokemon revealed, it's in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, it had a movie of its own (and its not even a legendary!).

These are basically one reason. It was on the Super Smash Bros. likely because it had already gotten coverage: it was an early revelation and it was on the movie. And it was on the movie because it was an early revelation. :p

I can perfectly understand such a Pokémon becoming a flagship of its generation then. I love Lucario's design and its personality in the movie myself, so I still feel it's a great flagship. Even if you think of it as an overrated Pokémon, there sure are reasons for this. It was Lucario who marketed the Gen IV in the first place!

One could even argue that it's underrated, since it still wouldn't be as popular a mention as Pikachu is if you ask men-of-the-street! :rolleyes:

Pretty much every competitive battling tier has its overrated Pokémon in my opinion. Looking at every tier, the best players have narrowed down to pretty much the same species of Pokémon each. Obvious reasons though: apparently they are the best battlers of their tier.

I'd say the Pikachu clones are overrated in general fandom. I think the look-a-likes only take away from the original's appeal. Pichu was alright though since I didn't find their anime personalities that over-the-top and due time it began feeling like a natural pre-evo of Pikachu.

Have to mention the Vanillux line, sorry. Apparently it's pretty popular. I still don't get it though... It's ice cream; it should have nothing to do with being a Pokémon! (Oddly I don't feel the same with Grimer, Magnemite, etc. lines; they always felt like being part of the pack somehow, maybe because they were there in the first place when I jumped in and I wasn't this cynical back then. Anywho, waiting for someone to play nostalgy glasses cards and flame the crap out of this message. :p)

Last edited:

Räven Velish

black lives matter
Well I suppose it depends on what sort of 'overrated' is being referred to, for battling or just general fandom?

Because if the latter, then there are several, Charizard, Lucario and Gardevoir spring to mind.

Both. Charizard and Samurott are the most overrated starters IMO.

SimH8

Sawsbuck overrated? I thought I was the only one that liked it.

Anyways I think the following are overrated at least slightly: Lucario, Eeveelutions (Top of the damn list), Pikachu, Typhlosion (When comparing to the other Johto starters, Gliscor and Blastoise.

diakyu

Charizard the thread.

Ditto B1tch

The thread is about to post my personal opinion about the possible overrated Pokemon, then this is a piece of my list:

Gyarados
Milotic
Lucario
Volcarona
Krookodile
Salamence
Hydreigon
Samurott
Blaziken