• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Overrated Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

UbersSuck20

#FreeGenesect
Damn, that gengar guy just got gangbanged for good. I call mercy.

Anyway, I think Vaporeon is overrated, despite having sheer competition with Jellicent, Gastrodon, Politoed, Tentacruel, & Rotom-W as a bulky water-type in OU:

Negatives:
  • In a rain team, you have Sp.D Rachi or even Chansey for a better wish support, reason is because of more bulk and useful steel type (Rachi)
    Vaporeon doesn't have to rely on Seismic Toss or parahax. It can fire off powerful Surfs and I've found its 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD spread to be surprisingly useful.
  • Breloom users get aroused when they see a Vaporeon on opposing team preview.
    Agreed. Same for Jellicent and Gastrodon
  • Ferrothorn enjoys setting up hazards while slowly taking Vaporeon's health.
    Agreed.
  • Defensive pokes just can't wait to click "Toxic" and poison the Mermaid cat.
    Agreed. Same for all bulky waters though
  • After grabbing a couple boosts, common Sweepers such as D-nite, Scizor, CM Latios, or Volcarona who often packs Lum berry will laugh at Vaporeon's attempt to get the burn/poison.
    Dragonite doesn't set up on Vaporeon, Ice Beam can 2HKO. Agreed with Scizor and CM Latios, but how can Volcarona set up on Vaporeon if SR is on the field?
  • Toxicroak enjoys draining the healthy & nutritious health from Vaporeon, since Vap can't do anything in return but throwing ice beams.
    Agreed.
  • Vaporeon gets 2hko'd by almost any heavy hitters in OU barring Gyarados, Heatran, & Infernape. (please correct me on this if necessary lol)
    +1 248+ Atk Gyarados Bounce vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 219-258 (47.3 - 55.72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
    Gyarados can set up for free on Vaporeon. Agreed with Heatran and Infernape.
  • After a wish, Protect is pretty damn obvious choice, so protecting itself while the opposing Pokemon is setting up more boost or switching out to something like Thundurus-T/Spec Latios/Virizion/Rotom-W/Breloom is often the most harmful & devastating maneuver for Vaporeon users.
    The same can be said for any Wish passer, just that it has different counters.
  • Specs variant is outclassed by: *insert list of OU water-types here.*
    Specs Vaporeon is not outclassed at all. Keldeo doesn't have Ice Beam, and Vaporeon is bulkier than most other water-types.

Positives:
  • Important defensive role in Batton Pass team: Acid Armor + baton pass
    Baton Pass teams fail. Completely.
  • Hydration in rain is indeed annoying, but don't you ever complain when your opponent manages to score a crit. Your vap was prepared for it.
  • nice 110 base Sp.atk.

Vaporeon does have its pros and cons, but I don't think it belongs in UU/BL. I can understand its low usage though, it gets a lot of competition.

Cosmic Potato

Sexy Trainer
I can never seem to use keldeo tomuch effect, it always gets walled by different things depending on its hidden power.

BlueWartortle

ぶル ワルとルツル
Rotom-W. Hydro Pump is too inaccurate, plus it's not that hard to get beaten, even with Volt Switch.
It may be me using it awfully, it may be it not working well with the team. It's just useless there.

Cloyster. While it is hard to stop if it gets a Shell Smash, getting a Shell Smash is easier said than done.

HeyI'mChubby

and (kind of) proud!
Cloyster. While it is hard to stop if it gets a Shell Smash, getting a Shell Smash is easier said than done.

I don't know about you, but I use Cloyster leading off with a Focus Sash to get setup. It normally doesn't stop unless the team has a priority move.

UbersSuck20

#FreeGenesect
But priority is Cloyster's main problem. Cloyster isn't very good as a shell smash sweeper because it doesn't have the special bulk to tank a powerful attack. And if it has a Focus Sash, then priority and entry hazards say hi. Cloyster needs heavy team support.

And never, ever, ever use Cloyster as a lead Shell Smasher. Even Gigalith of all things is better as an attacking lead than Cloyster.

But priority is Cloyster's main problem. Cloyster isn't very good as a shell smash sweeper because it doesn't have the special bulk to tank a powerful attack. And if it has a Focus Sash, then priority and entry hazards say hi. Cloyster needs heavy team support.

And never, ever, ever use Cloyster as a lead Shell Smasher. Even Gigalith of all things is better as an attacking lead than Cloyster.

Yes. Not to mention it is weak to both Bullet Punch and Mach Punch which are both common enough in OU. So its lack of bulk is bad enough but then it also doesnt have the best typing. Pretty hard for a Pokemon like Cloyster to stay alive very long against a good opponent when there is so many things it has to deal with ´ー`

KillerDraco

Yes. Not to mention it is weak to both Bullet Punch and Mach Punch which are both common enough in OU. So its lack of bulk is bad enough but then it also doesnt have the best typing. Pretty hard for a Pokemon like Cloyster to stay alive very long against a good opponent when there is so many things it has to deal with ´ー`

Not to nitpick, but it's only neutral to Bullet Punch.

Though a CB Scizor Bullet Punch is still a clean 1HKO with Stealth Rock up after a Shell Smash and a 2HKO with Stealth Rock before a Shell Smash on a standard 4HP/252Atk/252Spe Shell Smash Cloyster, so it's sort of a moot point.

HeyI'mChubby

and (kind of) proud!

Though it seems unorthodox, it still works and can clean off a team if you're in a common situation like boosting on Skarmory while you still have full health. After Bullet Punch or Mach Punch or whatever you'll still be around. It could polish off the rest.

But maybe that won't happen, so whatever.

Cloyster really is trash. Special attacks hit it hard and it isn't fast enough to outspeed relevant scarfers in ou after a shell smash. It is also walled by steel types such as magnezone or rachi that can just ko it.

HeyI'mChubby

and (kind of) proud!
Honestly, Cloyster even with a smash fails to get the OHKO on anything reasonably bulky that it isn't getting a SE hit on. It, however, does seem to get the most crits or anything without Serene Grace, which can really make it annoying.

That's because, statistically speaking, crits land once out of every sixteen times. Attacking five straight time would mean a 5/16 chance of landing that crit. Also, Razor Shell boosts crits to 1/2 of the time (8/16).

Cosmic Potato

Sexy Trainer
If I am running cloyster, I will give it explosion over rock blast because I can. Also water gem unless rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.