• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Overrated Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
In my opinion, it has to be Jellicent. It's a very good pokemon in the right hands, but I rarely get to put it to good use. It's great and all, but I never use it right I guess.

And jireh, the reason you can rarely beat Kyogre and Arceus is because they both annihilate your team, obviously. Kyogre can outspeed all of them with a Choice Scarf, and it then OHKOs Shaymin-S, Victini and probably Jirachi, whilst Arceus can just get an SD up on you and OHKO everyone on your team. It's your team that is the real problem, not Kyogre or Arceus. Palkia does a good job at walling certain Kyogre (Thunder Wave Lum Berry Kyogre is an issue for some), and Arceus Ghost is a fairly decent check to Arceus Normal.

psychonerderer

why cant i ever beat rotom online?

"Because you suck!"

o ya, thx

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
I personally find breloom over rated, I see why it should work and how but I personally can't manage to remember what it outspeeds which is probably the most important par of using it (for spore spam)

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
I personally find breloom over rated, I see why it should work and how but I personally can't manage to remember what it outspeeds which is probably the most important par of using it (for spore spam)

Just have a speed tier tab opened up for reference o_O

Zachmac

Pretty much all walls except Gliscor are outsped, and almost all offensive pokemon aren't.

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
I should do what John said and keep a tab up...

@ Zach; There's a couple other walls/ wall ish pokemon that can outspeed (Deo D, Jirachi, Tenta) and plenty of offensive mons that are outsped (Reun, Conk, Mag, Ttar, scizor) so that rule of thumb doesn't always work, but I see what your saying about that as most offensive mons are fast while defensive are slow. It's mostly the middle speed mons that I mess up when using Breloom and should just do what John says... But I'm lazy and am normally doing more than one thing while I battle, so that's a problem with me having the initiative to check while I'm distracted by something / someone

Zachmac

Bah, I keep forgetting how fast Tentacruel is...

But, for the most part, it only runs 20 speed EVs. A max speed Breloom should probably outrun it, unless you're using Adamant...

Jirachi can be offensive, which is when it usually runs speed. And the offensive pokmeon you listed are all more of tanks, besides Magnezone and Scizor. True, they are all still offensive....I should of been more specific.

Caluminousdugtrio

class on my back
I think Forretress is overrated. Sure, it learns all 3 forms of hazards and rapid spin, but its pitiful Speed, SpDef, and a 4x weakness to fire doesn't help. Whenever I use it, a Specially-based move pretty much immediately spells doomsday for it, limiting me for only 1 layer of hazards. Its also set-up bait for many special attackers, like Keldeo and Thundurus-T.
Lucario sucks for me, too. It has some great stat-raising moves, like Nasty Plot and SD. But its WAY. TOO. SLOW. AND. WAY. TOO. FRAIL. Its taken down by common threats like Volcorona, Salamence, Heatran, Venasaur, the list could go on forever.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
In my opinion, it has to be Jellicent. It's a very good pokemon in the right hands, but I rarely get to put it to good use. It's great and all, but I never use it right I guess.

And jireh, the reason you can rarely beat Kyogre and Arceus is because they both annihilate your team, obviously. Kyogre can outspeed all of them with a Choice Scarf, and it then OHKOs Shaymin-S, Victini and probably Jirachi, whilst Arceus can just get an SD up on you and OHKO everyone on your team. It's your team that is the real problem, not Kyogre or Arceus. Palkia does a good job at walling certain Kyogre (Thunder Wave Lum Berry Kyogre is an issue for some), and Arceus Ghost is a fairly decent check to Arceus Normal.

Though 4 of my Teams are OU capable, two of them are Ubers [shaymin sky can be substituted via land form].

While it is nice you gave the problem, despite that it insulted the way I built this team, it is quite a common thing for me. But seriously, why do many competitive battlers encourage [though often times comes from a small group] US NON COMPETITIVE AND SEMI COMPETITIVE PLAYERS to be all out competitive? As if does the high ladder rating meant like EVERYTHING?! I hope you're not encouraging me to e a competive battler. For I'd rather be a unique semi competitive player

Now I ask YOU this...
I already know those factors why I hated those guys, but if you could give me A REPLACEMENT for Manaphy, what Pokemon, that is good to use YET NOT Ubers, could it be? I wanted a pokemon that can perform the same role as a calm mind offense manaphy. Also, I wanted it to be a balanced pokemon when it comes to stats. Keep in mind aesthetics will also matter to me as well. So give me a cute yet deadly one much like my other team members.

Why do I ask this to you? If you see my team as the weakest force in Ubers, I may as well just hangout with OU instead.

Anyway back on topic, before in my early experience, I ranted in my mind that "AMOONGUS IS THE DEVIL OVERRATED VEGGIE!! Its Spore is too deadly!"

I mean it, I did not know how to beat it back then. But now, I have ways to deal with that pest (Camerupt use flamethrower. Cut this pun). Surprisingly though, it works on other tiers too to my surprise. Seriously, it somehow cowers at my Gardevoir possibly from synchronizing Stun spores [the toxic variant is rare]

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
While it is nice you gave the problem, despite that it insulted the way I built this team, it is quite a common thing for me. But seriously, why do many competitive battlers encourage [though often times comes from a small group] US NON COMPETITIVE AND SEMI COMPETITIVE PLAYERS to be all out competitive? As if does the high ladder rating meant like EVERYTHING?! I hope you're not encouraging me to e a competive battler. For I'd rather be a unique semi competitive player

I don't get it. All he was trying to do was trying to was trying to help your team become better. What does semi-competitive even mean? And who said that competitive players can't be unique?

Anyway, personally I think Ninetales is overrated. Game freak could've given drought to maybe Arcanine. Ninetales isn't really a strong offensive pokemon (without Drought) and its typing hinders it's defensive capabilities. I guess I'm saying this cos I can't use it all that well though.

Caluminousdugtrio

class on my back
Guys, lets not try to get into fights here. It will clog up the thread and people wont be able to post and get their thoughts in.
@T-Bolt Semi-competitive players are players who still play competitively but dont play as much as complete competitive players and dont care much about there rankings (some do though).
@Jireh AquasRegisteel was just trying to help xDD but I understand, I also used to be a semi-competitive player. And yes, Amoongus seems scary at first, but there are SOOO many ways to deal with it lol

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Guys, lets not try to get into fights here. It will clog up the thread and people wont be able to post and get their thoughts in.
@T-Bolt Semi-competitive players are players who still play competitively but dont play as much as complete competitive players and dont care much about there rankings (some do though).
@Jireh AquasRegisteel was just trying to help xDD but I understand, I also used to be a semi-competitive player. And yes, Amoongus seems scary at first, but there are SOOO many ways to deal with it lol

no objections then-- ohh, now I know that one pokemon that annoys me again. I believe it is UU.

Gligar with eviolite. I never even Ko'd a single one as of now. Too bulky to tough even if you got an Ice move.

But anyways, sometimes, I'm just very wary of other speakers ... no thanks to the amount of trolls in the net these days. Keep in mind I place both the good an bad elements for a medium agreement. I already know from the get go my recipient wants to help. I'm only asking him on which side he belongs to (whether a troller, an unfair bragger, or a player for fun) and what do I need to fix my team.

Speaking of Teams, Hitmontop is overrated in doubles. As if ... he's a so-so pokemon in singles. But once Double battles come to play, Hitmontop just suddenly becomes ... OU! Oh my gosh! Sudden tier shift?

I just need more security from ... ugh ... arrogant trolls. I encountered tons just this morning.

Now I remember trolls, I bid word to Latios as the most overrated pokemon I've ever fought in OU. Sure the stone tyrant of Johto can kill him and his sister. Just like my issues with ferrothorn and Heatra despie their great performance, I'm terrible at using him as well.

Zachmac

^I've used Latios before...and I found the results to be underwhelming, compared to it's usage. It's powerful an all, but I'll have to agree that it's overrated.
I think Forretress is overrated. Sure, it learns all 3 forms of hazards and rapid spin, but its pitiful Speed, SpDef, and a 4x weakness to fire doesn't help. Whenever I use it, a Specially-based move pretty much immediately spells doomsday for it, limiting me for only 1 layer of hazards. Its also set-up bait for many special attackers, like Keldeo and Thundurus-T.
Well, the problem with Forretress is that no one ever uses it right. I always see it on stall teams. It does not belong there at all; there are so many pokemon that can set up hazards better.

It's best for Volt Turn, actually. It guards the team from hazards with rapid spin, which is very valuable, without breaking Volt Turn's offensive pressure by hitting second with a volt switch and safely getting another pokemon in.
Speaking of Teams, Hitmontop is overrated in doubles. As if ... he's a so-so pokemon in singles. But once Double battles come to play, Hitmontop just suddenly becomes ... OU! Oh my gosh! Sudden tier shift?
OU and doubles are completely different. Fake out is poor is singles but and intimidate is okay, but in doubles, they're both amazing.
Anyway, personally I think Ninetales is overrated. Game freak could've given drought to maybe Arcanine. Ninetales isn't really a strong offensive pokemon (without Drought) and its typing hinders it's defensive capabilities. I guess I'm saying this cos I can't use it all that well though.
Who the heck uses Ninetales for it's offensive or defensive ability? The thing is a whimp, like Politoed, and everyone knows it.

The only reason it's OU is drought. Drizzle and Drought can be game-breaking, which is more then enough reason for Ninetales to be OU. How often do you see Ninetales without a Chorophyl user or a better fire type in the team?

jstinftw!

hey trainer

While i will admit that Hitmontop isn't the hardest Pokemon to play around, I wouldn't say Hitmontop is overrated. Find another Pokemon in Doubles that offers as much support as Hitmontop? Intimidate, PLUS Fake Out support, PLUS offensive pressure with moves like Close Combat (often Fighting Gemmed), Sucker Punch (sometimes Dark Gemmed), Mach Punch, and sometimes the random Bullet Punch (note, not all of these are always on the same set) or Drain Punch (which would, honestly, be very wise as it aids Hitmontop's staying ability), and then you have Quick Guard (on a predicted Bullet Punch or Fake Out, allowing your partner to take out or get a free switch in to those Pokemon), Wide Guard (protecting from common moves like Rock Slide, Heat Wave, Blizzard, Icy Wind, Surf, Muddy Water, and, recently, Earthquake) and even Feint, lifting the common Protect off of Pokemon that otherwise would have been safe that turn. Let's also not forget its formidable bulk; when fully invested defensively, Hitmontop is a Pokemon that will take a beating, as well as its Speed, a middling speed tier, allowing it to serve on Trick Room teams (very common), Tailwind teams (fairly common), and standard Goodstuffs (extremely common).

With Intimidate allowing your party to focus on its Special Defense, you can EV your Pokemon to take common Dragon Gemmed Draco Meteors from LATIOS, of all Pokemon, and still survive to hopefully KO that Latios (particularly in the case of Pokemon like Garchomp, Hydreigon, etc.). The fact that it also CAN run an offensive set, or even a mix of the two, leaves Hitmontop to be a Pokemon that you need to be careful for; if you mispredict it, it can easily spell the downfall of your team.

That's not to say Hitmontop is infallible. 220 Sp.Attk Togekiss can OHKO the Standard Hitmontop (252 HP/252 Attk). Expert Belt or Life Orb 196 EV Reuniclus OHKOs the standard Hitmontop as well. Unintimidated Pokemon with Acrobatics easily KO Hitmontop too (although good luck tricking your opponent to leave Hitmontop in on Pokemon like Crobat, Meinshao, Gliscor, or Scizor). And anything with Hurricane will likely OHKO Hitmontop as well, although I haven't run the calcs so don't quote me. Defiant Braviary is also a fairly good check to Hitmontop, ignoring Intimidate, OHKOing with Brave Bird. Not to mention Hitmontop's not really doing anything to defensive Special Attackers like Gastrodon (unless Hitmontop's running an offensive set).

Hitmontop is not infallible, and standard Pokemon can beat it. But that doesn't make it overrated. Hitmontop does its job very well, and in the first place, nothing can do what Hitmontop does "better." You always have to give something up. Intimidate Gyarados can fill the intimidate support, offers Taunt and Thunder Wave, but you have to choose with Gyarados; do you want Bulk or do you want Offensive? It will always be lackluster in one aspect or the other. Mightyena offers Initimidate and Sucker Punch, but lets be honest. It's slow and frail enough to get OHKO'd by any neutral attack. Salamence exists, but it is not at all bulky, and it is weak to common Ice and Dragon type attacks, most of which are Specially based. And then there's Scrafty; good bulk, same attack stat, but slower. Facing other Hitmontop will result in either Scrafty getting Faked Out or its party getting Faked Out, leaving that first turn entirely to the mercy of your opponenet. Let's also not forget that it's weak to Fighting, a common offensive type common due to the prevalence of Pokemon like Terrakion and Tyranitar.

As for the support of Fake Out, Wide Guard, Quick Guard, and Feint? Only Hariyama and Meinshao. So why not Hariyama? Same reason as Scrafty, except without the bulk. Why not Meinshao? Mainly because it's frail, it's worse than Hariyama in terms of bulk.

Hitmontop is, however, outclassed offensively by a lot of Pokemon, but what it does bring to the table is what makes it valuable. Hitmontop is a great defensive pivot that is still capable of dishing out on the offense. Great ability, great stats and great support moves that allow it to serve on pretty much any team; how is it overrated?

Quick note: Before you start thinking that I'm like, one of those super competitive players trying to put you down, don't, haha. I am not super competitive, and I almost exclusively play Doubles. I'm not fond of standard mons, and I'm much less fond of standard teams, but I know a good Pokemon when I see it. Doesn't mean I'll use it, but I do see their advantages.

Caluminousdugtrio

class on my back
Yes, Latios is overrated to me too lol. It just doesnt do what I want it to do...and Kingdra. omfg. Kingdra. It's SOOO overrated. Its attacks pretty much do nothing, and even in the rain, it absolutely sucks. To me, at least :/

jeffdavid102

TSS Forever
two justins above me with the same avatar O_O.

Overrated...........I would have to say Gengar, or at least SubDisable Gengar. He is a nice troll, but outside of PP stalling, he has trouble hitting some opponents even with unresisted coverage. The moves it use are just not cut out for PP stalling either. Especially Focus Blast with a horrible 8 pp

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Blissey o_O, can't stand them. Haven't faced them competitively yet in game, but facing off against them in game via npc's is a pain in the rear. Don't like running into any Pokémon that can keep on using protect like moves, or recovery like ones either. That's a pain for anyone who might be on slower wi fi. There's a good chance that the battle might be dropped for taking so long -- due to the slow wi fi speed.

Orithan

Overrated...........I would have to say Gengar, or at least SubDisable Gengar. He is a nice troll, but outside of PP stalling, he has trouble hitting some opponents even with unresisted coverage. The moves it use are just not cut out for PP stalling either. Especially Focus Blast with a horrible 8 pp

Don't forget, SubDisable screws choiced mons over because then they will be forced to use Struggle after they break your sub (or even before, in some cases). Same with Torment. From the sounds of it, the combo sounds like a pretty good anti-revenge killer.

Ultimate Champion

The Great Pokémon Master

Actually, Arceus-Ghost by itself is not, in any way, shape, or form, a check to Arceus-Normal.

Orithan

Actually, Arceus-Ghost by itself is not, in any way, shape, or form, a check to Arceus-Normal.

Agreed. E-Killer carries Shadow Claw (or arguably worse, Shadow Force) to hit the ghosts that are immune to it's Extremespeed. You will want something that resists Extremespeed but is neutral to or resists the coverage move used to counter it. Skarmory, resisting Extremespeed and Shadow Claw/Force while being immune to Earthquake makes for a good answer for it because it can simply phase it out, forcing it to set up again. Levitate Bronzong can often take a hit and is able to set up Trick Room (to make it revenge-kill fodder for something like Dialga) on it, but it can't hold up for very long against +2 Shadow Claws/Force.
Edit: While getting obliterated by a +2 Shadow Claw, Prankster Sableye can cripple it with priority Will-O-Wisp (that's unless it carries a Lum Berry) but you have to be reliant on luck for it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.