• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Overrated Pokemon

Overrated Pokemon:

Charizard (I know he's extremely overrated, but it doesn't change the fact that Charmander was my very first Pokemon!)
Blaziken
Rayquaza
Lugia
Salamence
Chesnaught
Greninja

(I actually think all the listed Pokemon above are great, to be honest, however I also believe that they attract a little too much attention)

Last edited:

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
Overrated Pokemon:

Charizard (I know he's extremely overrated, but it doesn't change the fact that Charmander was my very first Pokemon!)
Blaziken
Rayquaza
Lugia
Salamence
Chesnaught

(I actually think all the listed Pokemon above are great, to be honest, however I also believe that they attract a little too much attention)

I'd like to know how Chesnaught is overrated.

Chesnaught, along with Delphox, barely get any attention at all, especially in comparison to Greninja. From my perspective, at least.

Last edited:

❀Roselia❀

❀~Flower Artist~❀
I feel like Rayquaza is overrated. Whenever someone wants to brag about having a legendary, Rayquaza seems to be the top choice since it has a jet black shiny form and it gets V-Create to make it look more appealing to uber loving noobs. x-x

Especially since Alpha and Omega are coming soon, everyone will be wanting to know about Rayquaza availability and it will essentially be the most over hyped pokemon for the games since Groundon and Kyogre had new box art designs. <.<

I'd like to know how Chesnaught is overrated.

Chesnaught, along with Delphox, barely get any attention at all, especially in comparison to Greninja. From my perspective, at least.

You may not see Chesnaught as overrated, however, almost everyone I talk to online about X and Y chose Chespin as their starter.. Greninja also does have lots of attention, now that you mention it.. I'll put him on the list as well.

I feel like Rayquaza is overrated. Whenever someone wants to brag about having a legendary, Rayquaza seems to be the top choice since it has a jet black shiny form and it gets V-Create to make it look more appealing to uber loving noobs. x-x

Especially since Alpha and Omega are coming soon, everyone will be wanting to know about Rayquaza availability and it will essentially be the most over hyped pokemon for the games since Groundon and Kyogre had new box art designs. <.<

I agree with you, about how Rayquaza is one of the most overrated legendaries (if not the most). Although an overrated Pokemon, I would still be happy to see a third title in addition to Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire called Gamma Emerald or something like that (Groudon is still my favorite of the three btw).

Despite Charizard being my favourite Pokémon, I have to admit it recently got too much attention. However the most overrated Pokémon to me are Eevee and its evolutions. Most people just seem to like them for their (not very varying) design. What really spoiled my interest in them were people who praised the Eeveelutions, saying how ugly some Pokémon are I personally like. And stating nobody would like them. :/ I don't like how GF even supports this hype over and over again, offering events of them when there are so many other Pokémon.
Lucario is pretty overrated, too imo, but that's probably because it's always displayed as a very heroic Pokémon which appeals especially to the younger audience.
And most legendaries. If not all except for a few from gen 4 and 5.

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
I now change my opinion on overrated Pokemon... Its Talonflame. They're everywhere!

You are 99.98% more likely to run into a talonflame in Wifi or showdown and they are both predictable AND annoying as hell. Especially the god forsaken choice banded set that SOMEHOW one-shoted a Mega Aggron with a crit

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
Charizard. It's both overrated by the fanbase (it's the most commonly picked starter in fanfiction, as well as in the game, and is constantly mentioned as being one of the best Pokemon by a lot of fans) and by Game Freak themselves (two Mega evolutions, a tonne of merchandise and a lot of focus in the anime i.e. strongest Mega Evo episodes and Origins). I mean, I can sort of get why people like it, and I don't have a problem with it being people's favourite, but it is way overexposed, and IMO it should really step aside for a bit to give the other starters some of the limelight.

Maybe it's because I'm a diehard Delphox fan who wishes she was just as popular (seems like 90% of her fans are either girls or furries).

I may be both, but I like Delphox for different reasons rather than feminism/anthropomorphism. Personally, I actually think Delphox's design as a mage/sorcerer/whatever you call it is an enjoyable reference to the magic kitsunes sometimes supposedly wield. I kind of wish it was slightly better, stat-wise, but it's good for ingame.

I find that an overrated Pokemon is definitely Talonflame. Sure, it may be 'good' online, but in the face if ANY Rock-type, even with Gale Wings, it's utterly pathetic! I can't count how many times my Mega Aerodactyl (which, in addition, isn't the most defensive Rock-type around) has survived a Brave Bird and counteres with Stone Edge. Everyone who complains about how good it is really don't think about how easily it can be defeated.

I'd put Aegislash on the list too, but it can actually be pretty good if you use it right.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Overrated threads are overrated.

Basically, ITT, let's say that Pokemon that work competitively are not that good competitively.

I don't really have much of an answer other than that.

Mudcat

Gyarados: One of the lower overrated Pokemon on my list. In fact he might make it off my list soon.

This is the only one I don't agree with. Gyrados only has one major weakness and high enough stats to walk it off if faced with faster electric Pokémon, and some solid attack/special attack plus a whole range of attacks for you to choose from. Some of those attacks make it a very viable Pokémon in counter type clashes.

I now change my opinion on overrated Pokemon... Its Talonflame. They're everywhere!

You are 99.98% more likely to run into a talonflame in Wifi or showdown and they are both predictable AND annoying as hell. Especially the god forsaken choice banded set that SOMEHOW one-shoted a Mega Aggron with a crit

I personally like Talonflame, despite originally thinking it would just be a Pidgey line clone. And in the right hands Talonflame is a good Pokémon, which is why I can't agree it's an overrated Pokémon. But I don't usually accept or issue challenges on the PSS, so I don't know how it is on online battles.

Last edited:

UbersSuck20

#FreeGenesect
In general, the most overrated Pokemon is Pikachu, for the simple reason that it gets huge attention from children watching the anime.

Competitively, the most overrated Pokemon in OU is probably Rotom-W. It's everywhere, yet it can't seem to do much besides spreading status and maybe scout. In Ubers, definitely Xerneas (talking about the Geomancy set here). EVERYONE tries to set up a Geomancy at any time and anywhere, even against Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor. Also, in my opinion ExtremeKiller Arceus (Swords Dance/ ExtremeSpeed / Shadow Force / Earthquake) is a better late-game cleaner. The mixed set is better, as well as the bulky one (with Aromatherapy), but I fail to understand why people continue to use GeoXern.

UbersSuck20

#FreeGenesect
Yache Berry is what pushed it over the edge. It could live any Ice Beam unless said user had STAB on it, and not even every Ice-type could OHKO it. Also, all ice-types bar Weavile and Froslass had to take a hit before OHKOing Chomp. Then add sand into the equation and suddenly Ice Beam gained the same accuracy as Stone Edge, which could prove to be fatal, especially if Garchomp also had Substitute.

Last edited:

The Hiker king

Non Sequitur
In general, the most overrated Pokemon is Pikachu, for the simple reason that it gets huge attention from children watching the anime.

Competitively, the most overrated Pokemon in OU is probably Rotom-W. It's everywhere, yet it can't seem to do much besides spreading status and maybe scout. In Ubers, definitely Xerneas (talking about the Geomancy set here). EVERYONE tries to set up a Geomancy at any time and anywhere, even against Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor. Also, in my opinion ExtremeKiller Arceus (Swords Dance/ ExtremeSpeed / Shadow Force / Earthquake) is a better late-game cleaner. The mixed set is better, as well as the bulky one (with Aromatherapy), but I fail to understand why people continue to use GeoXern.

I have to agree with your views on Pikachu and Xerneas. Pikachu was useable as a glass cannon for a few gens, but I thought it was always overrated in competitive battles. I find that Xerneas' geomancy set difficult to use effectively. I think people just use it because it is new, cool looking, and has a relatively strong typing in the tier.

I've always thought of Charizard being overrated. It was until it got 2 mega-evolutions.
As for now I'd say the Eevee evolutions are a tad overrated.

Symphony

Seasons, they turn..
I have to say Mewtwo. It used to be known as, 'the strongest Pokemon'' and it never appealed to me. Then they gave it two Megas. Why give an already powerful Pokemon Megas and neglect Pokemon that need real evolutions?