• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Overrated/Underrated Pokemon In You're Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychicPsycho

I used a crappy natured Sentret as my main for my recent playthrough of SoulSilver, and it worked great. It's really inaccurate to rate a Pokemon's potential based on how it works in game (Battle Tower excluded).
Yeah, I realize that. It's just sometimes I get the impression people think it's unusable, which I'm surprised at.

Although I may just be bias (though I try not to be).

pokechamp219

Scottish Octopuses:P
Bibarel. It's awesome with Thunder + Charge Beam + Surf + Curse. But everyone uses it like a HM slave..

FlyShyGuy

Neo-Geodude
For me Venomoth is a little underrated. Very useful Sleep Powder/status abuser, plus it's a great Quiver Dance + Baton Pass user thanks to B/W. Besides, I think it looks adorable in a wierd sort of way

As for overrated, I'd say Dragonite. Never liked using it, never found it that useful in-game despite all that power.. I personally think that Salamence is often the better alternative.

Last edited:

SugarFreeJazz

not present
OU=overrated, UU and below=Underrated

/thread.

Also, this has been done so many times before. I think this would be better suited for poke polls.

Minor details.

Surprisingly, Luxray seems like an underrated Pokemon. I used Luxray as my main Pokemon in my last run of Platinum (put Torterra in the PC after it evolved) and it has without a doubt been the MVP of my team. Charge + Thunder Fang has OHKO'd more Pokemon than I care to recount (many times it wasn't even super effective).

As for Pokemon I've yet to use (plan on using for future runs), Mothim, Chimecho, Delibird, Masquerain. I expect them to suck, but I care more about how my team looks than how strong my team is. Plus, they seem like great mascot Pokemon for teams.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
Underrated:

Blastoise (Coolest design ever!)
Emboar (Gets too much hate.)
Scolipede (Next to Excadrill, was my main lead in Pokemon Black. People don't like him cause of his typing.)
Early Gen Rodents (Raticate, Bibarel, and Watchog all have a certain charm to them. Raticate has those adorably tiny arms, Bibarel has that really cute face with wide eyes, a red nose, and buck teeth, and Watchog has a cool psychopathic look, plus huge puffy cheeks.)

Overrated:

Garchomp (Now that too many fours isn't here to tell me I'm not allowed to hate this piece of ****, I can complain about how much I hate Garchomp.)
Serperior (Pound for pound, he's TEN times uglier than Emboar. Why is he so popular?)
Scizor (Personality wise, it has about as much as a piece of wood.)
Gallade (I know this guy's an UU Pokemon, but he has a cult following him. Most people see a badass character with personality and elbow blades. I see... a stick figure. ...Yeah, a glorified stick figure. Really awesome. ...Really.)

Bibarel. It's awesome with Thunder + Charge Beam + Surf + Curse. But everyone uses it like a HM slave..

Bibarel will ALWAYS be more than an HM slave to me.

SugarFreeJazz

not present
Excadrill is pretty overrated. It has potential to be a cool Pokemon, but I just can't get over the fact that it looks like someone stuck in a mole suit. Maybe one day I'll appreciate it more.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Surprisingly, Luxray seems like an underrated Pokemon. I used Luxray as my main Pokemon in my last run of Platinum (put Torterra in the PC after it evolved) and it has without a doubt been the MVP of my team. Charge + Thunder Fang has OHKO'd more Pokemon than I care to recount (many times it wasn't even super effective).

Oh yes. I'm using a Luxray named Ampere on my Platinum right now, and its attack is so crazy it's not even funny. It's a real powerhouse. Now it has Wild Charge in fifth gen, which is amazing.

collapse

Banned
alakazam is overrated. other then high speacial defense and atack he's pretty screwy by gen 5 standerds [back in the early days he was king tho] so is gyarados, jolteon and arcanine infact most gen 1 pokemon are overrated

Last edited:

Gelatino95

Not a tool
alakazam is overrated. other then high speacial defense and atack he's pretty screwy by gen 5 standerds [back in the early days he was king tho] so is gyarados, jolteon and arcanine infact most gen 1 pokemon are overrated

I don't know about Jolteon or Arcanine, but Alakazam is a total beast in-game. It can OHKO pretty much anything that isn't dark type. Gyarados is a bit harder to use in the third gen games since most of its moves were special, but it's much better after the split.

Arcanine is overrated, for sure. There are better fire types out there, and I don't just mean the ones with dual typing - I mean the pure fire types. Gyrados is overrated as well - water/flying = bad typing. Very bad.

Umm, Linoone is now becoming underrated - it is quick, and has a huge move pool. And I actually have a soft spot for Armadalo - great pokemon, but barely ever mentioned.

DarkraiMiestro

something or other
Arceus is a bit too overrated, I am getting fed up of how overrated it is.

Moonlight_Tails

Nocturnal Trainer
Oh yes. I'm using a Luxray named Ampere on my Platinum right now, and its attack is so crazy it's not even funny. It's a real powerhouse. Now it has Wild Charge in fifth gen, which is amazing.

I love Luxray. Bred one with Ice Fang in HG to give him something against grounds.

overlordmewtwo

Supreme Overlord
Quote: Arceus is a bit too overrated, I am getting fed up of how overrated it is.

That's right. When I discovered how many people were using Extremekiller Arceus (both in my own battles and battles on YouTube), I was greatly upset. It's so cheap! It gets priority, and after a few Swords Dances, it's going to be killing everything with priority! ARRGH!

On an unrelated note: Jynx is somewhat underrated. It's rarely used, and can be quite dangerous if played properly.

pseudoman

Quote: Arceus is a bit too overrated, I am getting fed up of how overrated it is.

That's right. When I discovered how many people were using Extremekiller Arceus (both in my own battles and battles on YouTube), I was greatly upset. It's so cheap! It gets priority, and after a few Swords Dances, it's going to be killing everything with priority! ARRGH!

On an unrelated note: Jynx is somewhat underrated. It's rarely used, and can be quite dangerous if played properly.

Im sorry, how does this make him overrated? Maybe if people were overhyping it(like how rhyperior was prior to people finding out how he actually played), but even then its one of the best sets for arceus. In a matter of fact, only a few pokemon can single handedly best it and still be usable outside of that.

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
I feel that Charizard is grossly overrated as to me a pokemon with a 4X weakness and fairly lackluster defenses is not something to brag about. He is only liked so much because he is a dragon and he is among the first 151. An underrated pokemon is Walrein! It's HP makes up for its slow speed and mediocre defenses, but with a Defense Curl/Ice Ball combo along with STAB, it can tear through opponents. This probably goes without saying but, this is entirely in my own opinion.

UbersSuck20

#FreeGenesect
Overrated Pokemon:
Azelf - Everytime I use a UU team I run into a ton of these, and all of them are leads. However, Aerodactyl is better than Azelf at setting up SR.
Mew - It's so unpredictable. True. But that "unpredictability" makes it overrated.Sure it learns any TM and any HM, but it's outclassed at anything it does, besides maybe the Baton Pass set.
Haxorus - 147 Atk? Yes. Dragon Dance? Yes. Speed? NO. Haxorus is slow and pretty frail, it falls prey to any Salamence/Weavile/Mamoswine/Hydreigon while it's Dragon Dancing. Also, it's ugly.
Volcarona - Quad-weak to Stealth Rock, cannot take physical hits. It does get Quiver Dance but usually it only gets one chance to sweep due to SR.

Underrated Pokemon:
Dusknoir - I took down a lot of OU teams with Dusknoir. He's got Will-o-Wisp, Pain Split, Payback, Earthquake and the elemental punches to wreak havoc. I don't understand however how he did fell from OU straight to RU in Gen V.
Rhyperior - Quad-weak to Grass and Water, but he's got Solid Rock, massive HP and massive Defense to somewhat counter this weakness. He has Edgequake and 140 Atk to destroy you and Megahorn to punish Grass-types. Choice Band + 140 Atk + Stone Edge = ULTRA PWNAGE.

Casty

Overrated:
- nearly all Eeveelutions (especially Umbreon, which sucks at everything it tries to do)
- Charizard, among the circle of older ex-fans who think new Pokemon suck because they haven't seen them when they were kids

I can't think of any underrated pokes at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.