• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Overrated/underrated Pokemon shippings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musashi~

Fiery Destroyer! <3
Which shipping you think is underrated/overrated by the fan base?
[NO BASHING!!!!!]

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Can't promise you the mods will let this stay, but we'll see :3

Anyway, for me, the most underrated shippings happen to be my four favorites: Othelloshipping, Furthershipping, PokeSilvershipping, and Shalourshipping.

And the most overrated shippings are Pokeshipping, Amourshipping, Contestshipping, and Ikarishipping.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
If you ask me, I feel all Ash pairings are overrated. It doesn't matter how popular or obscure, he has to be the most paired up character in Pokémon--and possibly ever.

As for underrated, I have to go with basically every Misty pairing out there not PokéShipping, but it's mostly EgoShipping and OrangeShipping (and maybe GymShipping, but that kind of weirds me out a bit, personally). I dunno, there's something interesting about Misty getting along with either Gary or Tracey well enough that they could work out. Tracey especially seems to be much more plausible as the two are already pretty good friends that they still talk and do things together while Ash and Brock are/were gone. I honestly don't know if Brock and Misty still contact each other on their own time after D/P, so thus it's why OrangeShipping seems the more likely of the bunch. Buuuut then there's Daisy and Tracey (HandymanShipping), so maybe the two are just chummy with each other because Tracey's dating her sister. *shrugs*

Musashi~

Fiery Destroyer! <3
Overrated-Pokeshipping,Advance shipping,Pearlshipping,Amourshipping and Contestshipping.

Underrated-Negaishipping

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Overrated: all Ashxfemale lead shippings and ferriswheelshipping (I love ferriswheelshipping though xD)
Underrated: I guess Rocketshipping.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Well, I'm honestly not sure if RocketShipping's underrated, especially since NeoShipping's more underrated than that (which I think is on the same level as DiamondShipping, that has basically dwindled over the years). I like RocketShipping, I just didn't mention it earlier because I think it fits snug in between overrated and underrated due to the numerous fluctuations in its popularity. After all, RocketShipping was basically the first pairing outside of The X-Files to be recognized as a ship than simply a pairing (fictional characters have been paired up before in the past, but shipping names hadn't become a thing until Pokémon), and it's also most likely the only ship that has sects. Those sects can be considered underrated as RocketShipping itself is the most common, and thus most popular.

Sure, here on Serebii, RocketShipping may have fallen by the wayside, but elsewhere? Not exactly. At this moment, I think RocketShipping and PokéShipping are on the same level when it comes to popularity, but it still hasn't fallen off the radar for people to not recognize it. That's how I've always viewed it, anyway.

Shooti

Uber Trainer
Honestly, I was waiting for someone to create this. I hope this thread remains open and we don't get into a "vs ship argument" territory much. Now to my opinion, I'd try
to keep explanations short:

Category : Overrated Ships (Anime only ships in my opinion)

1. Ikarishipping (Paul/Dawn) : Lack of substantial hints, still has huge fanbase hence takes #1 spot.

2. Pokeshipping (Ash/Misty) : Many people on internet still believe that this is the "closest to canon" Ash shipping with some even believing that Ash loves Misty. In
reality the anime is trying it's best to have us forget about the existence of Misty in anime for nearly a decade. The anime is notorious for the way it neglects older
characters. Misty has been gone the longest without an actual appearance in anime.

3. Amourshipping (Ash/Serena) : It's my favourite shipping in pokemon anime but I do believe it's a bit too much overhyped. Some people believe it to be the driving
force of the anime when it clearly isn't. A rabid section of it's fanbase even harassed one of the XYZ writers on Twitter for not having Ash and Serena dance in the
infamous dance episode.

4. Pearlshipping (Ash/Dawn) : Hints for the most part only show the strong friendship between Ash and Dawn IMO. Dawn is only female who can rival Ash in terms of being oblivious to romance. I don't see either Ash or Dawn taking a step further to break the friendship barrier and dive into potential romantic relationship.

5. Egoshipping (Gary/Misty) : Similar to Ikarishipping, it has comparatively large fanbase when we take the lack of hints for it in anime into consideration.

Category : Underrated Ships (Anime only ships in my opinion)

1. Cavaliershipping (Gary/Dawn) : I believe it's not appreciated among fans compared to other Gary/Dawn ships like Pearl, Pallet, Ikari, Ego and Penguin.

2. Rocketshipping (James/Jessie) : The ship with most episodes, has no rival ship, is canon in manga adaptation. But still has lack of AMVs, discussion threads,
fan-arts and more kinda makes me think it is underrated compared to most "Ash-ships".

3. Orangeshipping (Tracey/Misty) : An alternative ship for Misty, needs to be taken more seriously in my opinion.

4. Negaishipping (Ash/Iris) : Only Ash x main girl ship whose discussion thread is dead on serebii, I guess it is underrated then compared to it's rivals.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Oh, allow me to add to my Overrated list Leafgreenshipping (Leaf x Gary). Actually, I think it's VERY overrated, almost as much as Poke and Amour. Not only do I think this couple would never work out, it is no less a nevermet than Furthershipping, yet it's almost as popular on ffnet as Ikarishipping :x

And I agree that Rocketshipping is not very underrated. Not overrated either though :3

Musashi~

Fiery Destroyer! <3
I love Rocketshipping but lack of hints since BW makes me feel that it's underrated now. It was very popular in the earlier times but now it's discussion thread on Serebii is pretty much dead.I don't think it's overrated.It should get the love it deserves as its already canon in the Manga and their relationship is very realistic and adorable.^^

Last edited:

AndStillISpin

Overrated from my view would go to the various largish ships that don't have a basis in the show: Advanceshipping, Pearlshipping, Ikarishipping and the like. Ash and May/Dawn were portrayed as people who clearly cared about each other, but it was never developed beyond mutual friendship which is something their respective fanbases sometimes like to believe otherwise through over analyzing benign moments that have no underlying meaning for either character in the ship.

In the same vein, while Serena's side clearly isn't, Ash's side of Amourshipping is fanmade and the writers have not only not developed it, but have suggested that Ash doesn't have feelings for her due to how he's acted in certain situations that were obviously set up as shipbait. In the same sense it's probably the most overrated part of any ship in the show.

Pikachu979

Sinnoh Champion
Overrated:

Pokeshipping: since most of the hints were Dub edits and i personally go with the Japanese version.

Amourshipping: since most of the hints are from Serena's side

Underrated

Pearlshipping: I feel people use the whole friendship argument to discredit their relationship. Most couples start off as good friends before they get in a relationship. Don't couples usually consider the love of their life their best friend, their best companion, the one person they share the most in common with? So i don't think its overrated just because its popular.

Contestshipping: Its not really overrated in the sense that there was actual canon hints from both sides.

Last edited:

HoundoomFan

shy shipper
Overrated:
1: amourshipping: one-sided crush are cute ok. But right now it's the most popular from it being one-sided while things that mostly happened with Serena happened with other pokegirls 'prove its two-sided.'

2. Pokeshipping: 4kidz blew this of proportion. Now nonstalaga is keeping this one strong. Really though even though with 4kidz's 'help' it was sibling-like at best imo. If Brock/Tracey was needed to stop their arguments and keep them on track, than I cant see them in no healthy relationship.

3.ikarishipping: Dawn focused very little on Paul, and Paul paid so little to her that he fogotten her. But yet people still try to prove they are in love with each other. And I see it as an easy keep away ship, even though dawn liked Gary due to being prof. Oaks grandson, and kenny's clear crush on dawn.

4. Burningleafshipping: So in the games, kanto protags & B/W + B2/W2 have the other protag nonexistent once you choose your gender (correct me if I'm wrong?). So really, in games Red=leaf=red. So it's impossible for them to interact in the games. I guess people like self-shipping & that is fine. But personally I find this a bit weird. At best, this is incest, as there's no proof that the other lives in another place. So really, they had to come from the same mom... Usually people are very uncomfortable with incest. But burningleafshipping? Ok I get it, it's a protagonist shipping. In retrospect, people just like shipping protags. But still...

5. Rocketshipping: for the anime only. Since game=\=anime I hope we all can agree that manga=\=anime.

This ship may have dwindled a little. However besides all the other ash ships, I can't see how this isn't on top. It even has to be on top of contestshipping, as may & drew have been out the anime for years while jessie & James are still here, and there is no one else for them really.

However, even in the earlier seasons, James has shown to be HORRIFIED at the thought of marring Jessie, and Jessie only has used him and shown to care very little for his feelings. Could they develop feelings later on? Maybe. But there has been no romantic feelings or any kind attraction between them at all. They seem more brother-sister like than ash & misty.

Underrated:
1. negaishipping: Anything related to BW is hated/disliked by lots (ok excluding TRio), and this is no exception. Ignoring that IRIS was first to be asked by ash to join him, ignoring their... more than a real date than Serena's 'date' with ash. Nobody cares that their friendship grew like with misty's and Iris criticized him like misty (just less harshly). nor does anyone notice that they where close & similar like ash & dawn. People also dislike Iris and her "such a kid" line that is directed to ash, so they ignore everything good about it and hate this ship.

2. Brighttomorrowshipping: while boutiqueshipping isn't much better, it seems a bit more likes than this. It's not like people know calem exist, but he even had an extra line in which rosa didn't. I like both, but I just find this extremely underrated. Like go find fanart for it. It's like trying to find hay in a needle stack. I can at least find some for boutiqueshipping.

3. Firsttrainershipping: gold & red is pretty well liked. Not the most popular, but I'd say liked enough. I really don't give a rats ***** about red & Lyra as imo Lyra shouldn't exsist cuz WE HAD KRIS/CRYSTAL... But to point, very few things for this ship. It exsisted longer than burningleafshipping. They are both protagonist who can interact(ish) with each other. But it seems very few care for this.

4.loverivalshipping/newrivalshipping: yes I like hoennshipping. However this is extremely overlooked. While other rival shippings in the games are pretty well liked, this is very hard to find anything on ether of these ships. Yet weather whoever you choose they help Wally grow and Wally really looked up to him/her. Guess no one cares for Wally?

5. Sailorshipping: yes hardenshipping is where it's at right. Though AS really made archie & Matt connect a lot. And two buff guys is nice right?

raichu27

Overrated:

Amourshipping

Underrated:

Pearlshipping (It don't seem to be as popular as it used to be. Ash and Dawn seem to have the most in common together)
GymShipping (Brock x Misty; both are Kanto Gym Leaders that traveled with Ash)
ContestShipping
GeekChicshipping

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Well first off I'm an Amourshipper, so I don't hate the ship or anything. However sometimes it seems kind of overrated in the sense that Serena's shipping hints get over-analyzed to the extreme and even subtle things between her and Ash are thought of as important even when they might not be. I dunno, maybe I'm just kind of cynical however. ^^;

BlueDragonfangirl

I agree, all of Ash's pairings even Yaoi pairings are overrated except well Negishipping, I see that pairing get hated on a lot. No list in particular...

Ash X Misty : I guess it's died down a little since the AG days but the old fandom still is a live and sure knows how to kick a dog when it's down :/

Ash X Serena : I love love love this pairing but yah LOL.

I don't know what's more overrated of the two May pairings? Ash X May or May X Drew?

Ash X Dawn: Another favorite Ash pairing of mine but it was so popular, I think back than it was the most popular pairing in Japan.

Ash X Gary

Ash X Paul

Ash X Pikachu

Misty X Gary

Dawn X Paul : Forgot about this one, back in the D / P days, even though it was more of a back up option for other Ash fans pairings, safe net? Didn't make much sense to me, little interactions and all.

Underrated pairings

Ash X Iris : Due to Iris being the least liked out of any of the female cast, that out ways all the positives of the pairing I guess.

Misty X Tracey : The most canon Misty pairing yet it's not as popular as her other pairings, go fig.

Misty X Brock

Dawn X Kenny : Poor Kenny, I remember how least liked this pairing was. The thread on these forums back when D / P was still going it hardly was active.

Any BW pairing really.

Last edited:

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
Lets see. Hmm.

• Amourshipping - From all the hype it's been getting, no one can deny that it is overrated lets also try to not say that certain Amourshippers are really annoying and they turn me away from the ship with their immaturity.
  • Pokeshipping - I admit that Misty's crush is cute but 4Kids really pushed this pairing down everyone's throats, which really got annoying after a while. Also, it bothers when I see Pokeshippers claim that Ash is attracted to Misty even though the only girl he showed an attraction for was Giselle.
  • Ikarishipping - Paul hardly ever acknowledged Dawn's presence and people still wanna claim they're in love? Wake up and smell the coffee alreafy, will ya.
  • FerrisWheelshipping - Never saw the appeal in this ship and I still cannot understand how it got so popular.
I'm just doing overrated ships right now. I'll edit this post if any other ones come to mind.

Xadhoom

Xerbian Mutant
Overrated:

• OldRival - because of how neither one has expressed any kind of serious romantic interest in the other.
  • MangaQuest - because of how little concern Gold has exhibited for her safety (casual reminder that he, without any exaggeration on my part, treated her near-death-by-immolation as a joke).
Underrated:

• Frontier
  • Entourage
  • ... pretty much any two-person permutation between the first ten Pokedex Holders that isn't the mainstream few.

Ryousha

Overrated:

• OldRival - because of how neither one has expressed any kind of serious romantic interest in the other.
  • MangaQuest - because of how little concern Gold has exhibited for her safety (casual reminder that he, without any exaggeration on my part, treated her near-death-by-immolation as a joke).
Underrated:

• Frontier
  • Entourage
  • ... pretty much any two-person permutation between the first ten Pokedex Holders that isn't the mainstream few.

- Blame the detailed bios on Serebii saying that Blue blushed at Green during Saffron when she didn't. I have ViZ L-R, ViZ R-L, Scanlated versions of that incident and that never happened. It's false information and really needs to be removed off that bio page. Serebii is a resource site for a ton of people. Let's not start fake shippings that don't actually happen or scenes that didn't actually happen..

Underrated shipping:
  • Luckyshipping - It's just been neglected due to Specialshipping. Because Specialshipping took the spotlight, it kinda knocked out Lucky and MangaPoke. And then everyone shoehorned Blue to Green because they could and they rather not ship Chosen. But hey, thanks to FRLG and ORAS, Luckyshipping is having a huge comeback.

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
Underrated

• PreciousMetalshipping - This is a pairing that got overshadowed by MangaQuestshipping and I prefer this pairing to that one by a long shot. Gold always seemed to care more about Silver than he did for Crystal amd Silver could never avoid Gold. I will never understand why this pairing took a backseat to MangaQuest when it has more hints.
  • Mockshipping - This pairing is definitely underrated. Paul and Ursula have so much in common and they're a lot alike, if you ask me. How come this pairing never got popular?
  • Cavaliershipping - I will never understand why Ikarishipping has more supporters than Cavaliershipping does. For goodness skake, Dawn was fangirling over Gary and his poems. Do you need any more proof because I sure as heck don't think so.

ChloboShoka

Writer
I think there's a lot of shippings with Iris that I think are underrated, such as pendragon. This is understandable with the lack of canon interactions. I never understood why negaishipping never really got that popular since most shippings with Ash are always popular, especially with the main girl. I wouldn't consider wishfulshippping underrated though. I

Status
Not open for further replies.