• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Overused and Underused Pokémon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falthor

The Magma Incarnate
Overused and Underused Pokémon

Yes, this is a concept that puzzles me to the very end, and rattles my brain like crazy. Many people say that underused Pokémon will be a great issue when it comes to Fan Fiction because they are underused and not considered powerful enough to be given to a trainer, or even caught by one. Overused Pokémon are also a problem because they are overused and sometimes overrated, such as the so-called "almighty" Charizard. These Pokémon are seen in a lot of Fan Fiction, but also creates room for those controlling and abrasive personalities found in such Pokémon such as Scyther and Gyarados. However, it doesn't leave room for uniqueness and creativity because they are the common monsters seen in most teams.

So, when it does come to Fan Fiction, which is better: Overused Pokémon, Underused Pokémon, or a combination of the two?

PDL

disenchanted
To be frank, the very idea that there are such catergories for pokémon in fanfiction is completely ridiculous.

The reasons why certain pokémon show up in fanfiction alot is because writers like them, so include them in their storylines.

Writers shouldn't be bogged down by such things. They should use characters that they are most comfortable with.

Falthor

The Magma Incarnate
Well sometimes, that really isn't the case. Let us say my character has a Gyarados, Charizard, Metagross, Dragonite, Salamence, and Tyranitar. Most of these Pokémon are very overused, and even though I should feel comfortable with these Pokémon, it's hard for me to say that said trainer took all the time and effort to do that.

Sure, he may get a Dratini in the beginning of the fic, but...I really don't know if I should have him get such a rare Pokémon....you really don't think it will affect the fic at all?

The_Mighty_Medicham

It's electric!
Well, my fanfic has the four main characters as what I view as underused. It's partly the reason why I chose them.

PDL

disenchanted
Well sometimes, that really isn't the case. Let us say my character has a Gyarados, Charizard, Metagross, Dragonite, Salamence, and Tyranitar. Most of these Pokémon are very overused, and even though I should feel comfortable with these Pokémon, it's hard for me to say that said trainer took all the time and effort to do that.

Sure, he may get a Dratini in the beginning of the fic, but...I really don't know if I should have him get such a rare Pokémon....you really don't think it will affect the fic at all?

Overused how? I have yet to actually read a fic with such pokémon in them.

As long as the pokémon are reasonally developed character-wise, it shouldn't really matter what speices they are.

Falthor

The Magma Incarnate
Yes, I do know personality is important. So, it really does not matter at all what the Pokémon in a fic are, so long as their personalities are decent. Okay, makes enough sense to me. Any other advice?

Yami Ryu

Sigh.

Already a thread for over used, under used, personality, legendaries and etc.

http://serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=164342

There is a feature called search. Put in 'Overused/Underused' and 'Pokemon' and you will get what you want after a bit of searching. Yes I know it's hard but there's already been three other topics made before Orange made his, but atleast those all died by deletion/pruning.

And actually, imo Charizard, Scyther and Gyarados are all underused pokemon. The overused ones are Dratini, Bagon, Larvitar, Beldum, Eevee, the legendaries and D/P pokemon.

aaaaand Yami goes to report this thread.

Shrike Flamestar

Video Game Addict
Yami Ryu, that thread you linked to is too old now and past the 30 day limit... -_-

Falthor said:
Does he have a good reason for getting it? Really, the reason some people have such big problems with trainers getting rare Pokemon at the very beginning of a fic is because they're just handed the Pokemon, as if it's any other. As long as the trainer gets the Dratini because of a good plot-based reason, I wouldn't worry too much.

Yami Ryu

Yami Ryu, that thread you linked to is too old now and past the 30 day limit... -_-

Actually I've seen mods allow bumping of topics that are over so many days or months old, aslong as it's not spam and is a legitamet post. That and anything brought up here would already have been pointed out in that thread, or said, or discussed and etc/so forth. It's kinda stupid to keep remaking threads after 30 days of inactivity :/ that and there were alot better posts in it. Sorry, but it's the truth.

And to keep it from being spam;

As long as the trainer gets the Dratini because of a good plot-based reason, I wouldn't worry too much.

I've yet to see a good plot to allow a Dratini, that isn't cliche, weak, or sub par. But you are right, if the plot is good, the main human character isn't a mary sue, and there is a good reason for the Dratini being handed out, or anything, it is good.

But then I've already said and repeatedly said this in the other topic so yeah.

That rule doesn't apply in here because things move so slowly, it's three months THEN it's a no go. Please use the oher thread if you wiash to continue the dicussion, we don't need 700 of the same thing lurking in the depths.

Sandra

Status
Not open for further replies.