1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Overwatch Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by Manchee, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Manchee

Manchee extra toasty

Does anyone else here play Overwatch? My friend got me into it October 2016 and I play here and there when I get the chance. Been playing a lot more lately, and I've really been getting into the lore of it all and hoping some cool stuff comes out this year.

What are people's opinions on OW? Who do you main, what's your play style, etc. etc. :D

2. Cyberra

Cyberra pain in the ***

I know a little about it, mostly because someone I watch on DeviantART is a fan and Reinhardt fanart keeps popping up in my inbox.

It looks like an interesting game. My complaint about it is that it's purely online PVP. With all the backstory for the characters, you think they'd've been able to make a single-player campaign for those like me who despise PvP

3. Manchee

Manchee extra toasty

One of Overwatch's biggest downfalls is that the backstory and character biographies don't really mean anything in the end :/ The developers seem to care more about what it is at its base - a first-person shooter. I posted a topic on their forums once about how Torbjorn, their "Swedish" character, is a poor representation of Sweden, and so many people got mad that I brought it up and it basically came down to: who cares, it's just a video game? Which I do see the point to, but for a game that is this big and can tout that it has all of these diverse characters, some might hope that they would are a little bit more at being accurate. But in the end I truly do think that all of the backstory doesn't mean much to the developers, it just helps them make the game feel more believable to the fans.

4. reedcollins

reedcollins ReginaRegina

I completely agree, I wish there was a story mode in the game where you can play and learn more about the backstories and not worry about online play. I think having different levels where you played as different characters would be really fun and sometimes challenging and allow players to learn how to better play multiple characters. I main Mei right now, someone I never though I'd like playing so much!

5. Ironthunder

Ironthunder The Uncultured One

They tend to develop backstories and whatnot through out-of-game stuff and the odd PvE. There's been a lot of backstory development that you'd miss from just playing the game.

Also a solid chunk of the roster is literally just stereotypes given a personality.

6. MidnightMelody

MidnightMelody Degrassi Student

Just got the game and OMG the first match had such good people on my team. Not in the sense of skill but being nice and friendly.

7. Manchee

Manchee extra toasty

When I first got the game I thought it was really cool that they have all of these "diverse" characters, but the longer I play the more boring and plain they feel. There isn't much thought in them at all, but I guess you can't expect too much from a video game like this one. I'm just glad they finally have a Swedish hero who has lines in Swedish and is voiced by an actual Swede. Torb is a horrible representation, and not Swedish in the slightest.

8. Erron Black

Erron Black The Pretender

I primarily play OW on XB1 but I do have it on PC. I've peaked top 500 this season(was in the top 200) which felt nice until the Hanzo rework dropped and I went on a losing streak and nearly got stuck in Diamond.

I main Sombra primarily.(over 100 hours on her total.) She's getting buffs soon so I'm really excited for that.

Also on the topic of the above comments:

Honestly in the beginning ALL the heroes were bad stereotypes or just horrible representations. As the game has progressed though, most of the characters have had backstory and likable personalities develop.

Their post-release heroes have all been really good imo. Ana is a great and authentic representation for Egyptians and she's very unique since she literally shoots her teammates to heal them. Sombra(I love her so I'm biased) has a very fun playstyle and kit and her personality is either likable or something you can't stand which is how it's meant to be. She also gave the biggest theory board for every lore nut to analyze 24/7. Orisa was probably the worst release yet, but they've built upon her so much that she's lovable now. She was a new nobody with a stale personality, but she's now an innocent, protective robot that strives to do good by her creator. Doomfist is actually an interesting bad guy bc he thinks he's making the human race stronger and smarter by continually causing conflict. Also thank god he has a good African accent and isn't voiced by Terry Crews. Moira is awesome imo. She is obsessed with furthering mankind and basically forcing evolution through genetics. Which is why she aligns herself with Talon as that is what Doomfist intends to do.(Force mankind to evolve) Brigitte is probably the best release character-wise because we've known about her before and everything about her just makes sense and clicks. She has a distinct personality, she's great Swedish representation, and her lore just works with NQA.

We're due for a new hero in a little bit, so I'm hoping we get another good one.

9. Gamzee Makara

Gamzee Makara The Bard of Rage

Unfortunately, it is an Activision-Blizzard game, and thus PvP is(stupidly and short-sightedly)required, and their philosophy is "Single-Player is dead:"Live Services" is where it's at!"....greedy buggers.

Hope EU hits them with the Lootbox(Even Cosmetic crap, since it preys on addictive and completionist personalities) banhammer after they unban memes and parodies.

10. Erron Black

you don't even have to do PvP

there's literally vs. AI and you can spend all your time there, and they have two event modes that are PvE as well

also the lootbox thing is a non-issue. purely cosmetic. no advantages whatsoever. you can earn plenty just by playing the game. if you find it addictive, then it's you with the problem, not the game.

they're literally like trading cards, they both have no real life value, you're guaranteed a certain amount of rare or higher quality items within a certain assortment in the pack/box, and you more than likely need to get a bunch to get what you want

11. Gamzee Makara

1. Grinding =/= fun if full repeats, lazy recolors, excessive exploitation of addictive personalities and other toxic, anti-consumer practices are rampant.

2. Extra Credits fan, I see? Or are you afraid of "Es Jay DobbaEwes coming for yer gamez?"

3. And the advantage is given to Activision-Blizzard by inciting excessive spending and addiction from the have-nots who don't have the flashiest skin who will pay attention, be distracted by, play inherently worse as a result of and want one and all skins , despite not being able to afford all of them with no guarantee of a new or usable product every time.

4. They should just not make them gambling, make skins trade-able, remove repeats0 and in-game currency, turn lazy skins into free DLC, no season passes(it'll happen), no limited time on event skins being directly purchasable, no in-game currency, no pre-order or complete/premium/GOTY edition bonuses(make these available for everybody), removing gambling mechanics, and numerous other toxic practices that harm all but Activision-Blizzard.

5. Isn't exploiting addictive personalities a problem, even with them being "just cosmetic"? Or are you victim-blaming people with addictive personalities? Before you say "self-control", "Gamblers Anonymous" or "Jesus", you clearly haven't met someone with an addictive personality and/or an agnostic/atheist. I have, and I can certify that not only addictive personalities need this kind of protection from those who can and do exploit them because they have been EXPLICITLY referred to as "Whales", but forcing agnostics and atheists towards the latter, religious two is a insult and/or forcing theirs or your beliefs on somebody else.

6. Are you objecting to consumer welfare and/or protection from exploitative industry practices? Or do you have a religious and/or political reason to justify glorified illegal gambling?

12. Erron Black

1) grinding is literally in so many games ever and it's never done in a fun way, it's even less fun when it's for something usable in the game that actually affects your progress or abilities. this is purely cosmetic garbage, it's stupid to complain about.

2) a what now?

3) they're literally not? if they locked all the cosmetic stuff directly behind a paywall, then sure, i'd be up in arms as well. however, they've literally been making it more user-friendly as time goes on. 3 free boxes a week, no duplicates unless you've already unlocked everything of that rarity, double XP weekends, and other miniscule stuff

4) it's not gambling? unless you consider trading cards gambling. making items trade-able just ruins the point of trying to obtain them. there's nothing exciting about going "oh hey i'll trade this skin i hate to you for that skin you hate just so i can eventually get this skin i hate again" they've removed repeats unless you unlock every item of the rarity so there goes that argument. in-game currency literally helps you get more items, hello? everything is freely obtainable except for the Pink Mercy skin which the proceeds went to a good cause, unless you want to complain about charity work now? there's no DLC, literally everything post-release is free content there won't be season passes, lmao. seasonal items and events are literally there to keep players coming back, and for a game that is like Overwatch, that's important. you mentioned no in-game currency earlier lol. EVERY GAME DOES THOSE BONUSES LMAOOOO. there's no gambling mechanics. yes, they have so many toxic practices such as charity work, continually implementing systems to reduce bad behavior and toxicity within their game, continually pumping out free content for the game, listening to player feedback, etc...

5) it's literally a useless thing that will never improve your daily life and w/o it you won't be missing anything so no, it's not a problem at all. why the hell does anyone actually care about it so much? the game doesn't even revolve around these items.

6) my reason is that it's literally not illegal gambling or else it wouldn't be there, everyone that complains about this stuff is just upset that they didn't get a single stupid useless skin from a box they can get freely by playing

13. Gamzee Makara

I think you need to look hard at your empathy levels and willingness to kiss up to corporations who milk excessive money out of you and others.

14. Erron Black

well good thing I don't have 'empathy' in this case. the world runs on money, unfortunately, that's just the modern age. no business is going to give you what you want for free all the time.

economically and legally they aren't doing literally anything wrong. they're just making money. if you want to complain about them charging money for something that has no impact on the actual game that you can freely get by spending time playing the game, that's your problem.

15. Gamzee Makara

Money =/= excessive money.

The game costs, for the basic package, $60 US, with several upgrades bringing it up to anywhere from $80-$120, plus skin costs...don't you think that's a LITTLE bit excessive in the slightest? And just because the law says they can, doesn't mean they should. Just because I can call the cops on people in my home state for singing off-key due to that being illegal, doesn't mean I should.

16. Erron Black

no I really don't think it's excessive because it's literally optional and it's not required to play the game at all. if they were say, charging you $10 just to be able to play a seasonal event, then yeah that's really excessive. that just isn't the case though.

yeah, doesn't mean they should, but they did anyway because it's literally hurting nobody.

you're making it sound like they REQUIRE you to pay for loot boxes or else you can't play the game otherwise.

17. Gamzee Makara

It's not optional to Activision-Blizzard, or they wouldn't have included, charged for some and pushed them onto people. And "It's not required to play the game" is irrelevant to whether it is excessive monetization or not, which is the discussion at hand.

Addicts, gambling and otherwise. Kids. Parent's wallets. 100% Completionists. Greedy and/or vain people. Those brainwashed by marketing into paying for what they can't afford. There's who it hurts.

The question is:Are lootboxes required to have any kind of profit/player retention at all on Activision-Blizzard's end, yes or no?

18. Erron Black

it literally is optional oh my god, the items have no effect on gameplay nor do they enhance it or benefit you in anyway whatsoever. you can literally just play the game without even opening them or using any of the contents within. LITERALLY OPTIONAL.

plus I don't see them going "oops! sorry! you need to buy some loot boxes in order to continue playing!" they are not pushing loot box purchases on anyone.

point is you're blatantly overreacting, over-exaggerating, and making a big deal over something so miniscule and unimportant that it has no place in the discussion

I'd kindly ask you to stay on topic of the game itself and not the morals of a business or why they shouldn't have micro-transactions. This is completely derailing the topic for no reason whatsoever.

Manchee likes this.
  19. Manchee

Manchee extra toasty

What is HAPPENING lol it's just a game. Blizzard is greedy, yes, but you don't have to spend an excessive amount of money on anything after you buy the game. I spent $40 on it (isn't it $60 for the "Origins/GotY Edition"? Or maybe console, idk I just play on PC) for my first account and $20 on a second during a sale weekend, which happen a few times a year. But after that, if you are just playing normally, you're going to unlock most of the content without having to spend a dime. By the time a seasonal event comes around, you can easily get a lot of the content. Sure, some are harder and you can spend some real money for a shot at a rare skin or something but that's not required to play the game. It's all just cosmetic...

I agree that the post-release heroes have been really good. Most of my favorites are those that came out after the game was released. I think their kits and storylines are more interesting than the base-game heroes, honestly. I don't play a lot of Brigitte but that's just because I haven't been maining support lately.

What makes you say that Orisa was the worst? I thought she was so cute and lovable when they released her! She was unexpected for sure, everyone at the time thought Doomfist was going to be added then, but I was happily surprised it ended up being her instead (though I do remember a lot of people theorizing that an anchor tank was going to be added, but I felt like the majority were all about Doomfist being added)

What do you think of Hammond! I was really thrown off by the hamster thing at first and still kind of think it's dumb, but I love his kit and what he's going to bring to the game. I'm so glad that he can allow the meta to shift in what I think is a really good way for this game.

20. Gamzee Makara

Everyone watch this. Then tell me cosmetics don't affect anything.