• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pace - The Final Frontier! (466)

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
Yes, but remember Brandon is tougher then the average gym leader, and I think Scott said each brain is as powerful as an elite 4 member.

He's right. A Frontier brain is powerful than a Gym Leader.

Rufinito18

mE Entertainment
Zenigame's battle was too short, but Fudishidane got alot of battle time. I love leech seed. I love his Kanto pokemon, and this is why I loved this episode, and the one before it. It makes me somuch happier that his Kanto pkm are shown as being his strongest pokemon.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
An excellent episode in general, and a fantastic way to end his Battle Frontier quest.

But damn, if it ain't Charizard then it's Bulbasaur. :rolleyes: Can't Squirtle ever be glorifed for once? It is always Pikachu/Bulbasaur/Charizard getting the glory.

Hell, I should be happy Squirtle took out Ninjask at all. I know Squirtle has never been shown to be as strong as the other three, but I kinda wish it took out Solrock instead of Bulbasaur.

Overall though, fantastic.

Ash's Charizard

i just watched the episode on youtube now, it was fantastic, if the animation hadnt been so screwd up in places it could have been a little better. It definately pleased me to see that ash's original 4 pokemon were the final combination to take down brandon and the bit where they go camping and take down team rocket just like the old days i think was awesome to see. I would definately rate this up there in the top 10 pokemon episodes of all time.

John Ray

England Rules!!!
He's right. A Frontier brain is powerful than a Gym Leader.

Thats right. Charizard already beaten a legendary and pikachu has beaten a legendary and

If Brandon used all his 3 legendary do you think ash could have lost?

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
Bah. I didn't think this was as great as people are making it out to be. Don't get me wrong, I thought the battling was decent and all, but it was hardly one of the best fights in the series. The Dome and Palace battles were far better in my humble opinion, and they both raised the bar for any future bouts. I guess thats where part of my dissapointment stems from. I expected the big finalé to kick both of them out of the water :/

-Squirtle and Ninjask's battle was definately the best of the lot, and the strategies employed were pretty interesting. Like Squirtle using Hydro Pump to cure it's temporary visual imparement for example. I thought that was a decent highlight.

-There's one thing that really punched my pretty pickle pale about the battle; What's with Ash being allowed to dive in front of his pokémon, protecting them from harm? I mean, that's all well and good outside of the battlefield where a pokémon could be in some real danger, but this was an official match. What Dusclops did, sending Bulba hurtling towards the wall like that, was a totally legal move, and I don't see why Ash shouldn't be penalised for preventing the attack going all the way :/
And yes, I'm well aware he did the exact same thing during the tower match. But that doesn't make it any less stupid.

HEY ASH, WHY DIDN'T YOU EVER DO THAT FOR TORKOAL WHEN IT WAS FIGHTING REGISTEEL! OR TREEKO WHEN IT WAS FIGHTING MAKUHITA!
Thar be Favouritism in them thar hills!

-I also agree with Almighty Zard's opinion concerning Pikachu's victory. Regice used Rest and awoke before[/b] the Volt Tackle hit, meaning all it's energy should have been replenished. So how the snapcracklepop did Pika manage to destroy that thing with a single Volt Tackle?
I was willing to state that perhaps Rest doesn't completely heal a pokémon in the show, but then realised that such an argument would be ridiculous when you take Regice's overall strength into account and the fact that we've seen Rest fully replenish pokémon before.
Then I went on to speculate that maybe Regice snapped out of the Rest prematurely, with it's energy having recovered to about half of it's maximum. But still, that shouldn't justify a Volt Tackle taking it out in one hit.
Unless anyone can think of a decent enough reason as to why it worked, I call bullsh!t. Hey, if people can b!tch about Haruka's wins 'till the cows come home, I don't see why Ash can't be an exception. ;)

-Bulbasaur hogging the spotlight always sucks, and I can only imagine the rage poor Yamato-san felt as it whipped Dusclops and then went on to tie with Solrock. But complaints aside, I did like how Leech Seed was finally portrayed as an attack that gradually weakens the opponent, as opposesed to just outright imoblising them.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Regice drank too much cofee that morning, thus weakening it's rest abilites, and the hot liquid melted it's body some into water which made it more succeptible to a Mouse slamming into it while electrocuted.

I always noticed, Regice? Reg-ice?

Geodude

-There's one thing that really punched my pretty pickle pale about the battle; What's with Ash being allowed to dive in front of his pokémon, protecting them from harm? I mean, that's all well and good outside of the battlefield where a pokémon could be in some real danger, but this was an official match. What Dusclops did, sending Bulba hurtling towards the wall like that, was a totally legal move, and I don't see why Ash shouldn't be penalised for preventing the attack going all the way :/
And yes, I'm well aware he did the exact same thing during the tower match. But that doesn't make it any less stupid.
Since neither Brandon nor the ref objected, my guess is that it's legal as long as it's well outside the boundaries of the battlefield.

^ I agree, I wished Squirtle had more spotlight. It would've made this episode better if we saw some flashbacks for it like Charizard and Bulbasaur.

Kabuto

little punks!
Yes, Squirtle deserves the spotlight, but it put up a good fight against ninjask. Compared to May's Squirtle though, it gets squat. :( Are you sure Regices move was rest and not iron defense or curse?

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
Are you sure Regices move was rest and not iron defense or curse?
Jindai ordered Regice to use 'Nemuru'. Which, of course, is the move Rest in english. Though the fact that it just sat there, surrounded by pulsating energy whilst Pikachu was trapped in the ice should be proof enough :p

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
I think I'll just give the cop-out answer for Regice's falling and Squirtle's limited spotlight - Rush job. I mean, it wasn't anywhere close to being on the level of the Tyson and Harrison battles, but cramming 3 vs. 4 into one episode is still difficult.

Personally, I thought Bulbasaur vs. Solrock was the best match of the lot.

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
My two cents on the Bulby-hogging stuff...only Squirtle and Pikachu got real wins in the match. Bulby took down Dusclops...after it was weakened by Charizard. It tied with Solrock...after it was weakened by Squirtle. Not much to write home about, but it's wins weren't as cheaply and blatantly Bulby-service wins as people are making them out to be.

Nah, my only complaint about the match was that Brock suddenly shifted down next to May after being with his Beautiful-typed Pokemon last episode...and Solrock is now a Noctowl morph. Brilliant.

Oh...and the animation was thankfully better this time.

Cheers!
~Bulbs ;001;

Rizardon

Boulder Trainer
I didnt really expect that i would like the final battle
between Pikachu and Regice, but i did. ^^
I feel bad for Regice though, he,s my favorite Regi of the 3 and
he was the one that just had to be beaten...

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
Thats right. Charizard already beaten a legendary and pikachu has beaten a legendary and

If Brandon used all his 3 legendary do you think ash could have lost?

Well. I know that Charizard defeated Articuno,and Pikachu beaten Regice,and all. If Brandon used all 3 legendary pokemon, Ash's chances are pretty slim. Without any legendary pokemon, it will be all over for Ashy.I'm sorry.

S_P

Soul Trainer
Mmm Fushigidane spotlight again. Reasonable enough. Zenigame was slightly shafted, but the loss seemed reasonable, as it already creatively defeated Ninjask. That Sawamooru is like as powerful as those Regis!

I thought the battle was pretty good until Fushigidane and Solrock cancelled out (well that was expected). If Pikachu beat a weakened Regice, then that would be reasonable.

I don't understand why Regice didn't use Lock-On (don't Rest, Lock-On!) and then fire that energy ball thing (I'm not sure of the name of it, but the other Regi's used it, and it also OVERRIDED several elemental attacks such as a Flamethrower or a Thunderbolt. ... thunderbolt being overriden by Anabel's Espeon that is). It's supposed to be Lock-On, then fire that energy ball (or a Hyper Beam), then pull a Pryce ice sliding tactic when locked on, let Regice fire, then run underneath it and have it's own power weaken it!

^-- I thought something like that would have happened. Since Lock-On is homing, use speed to get behind the opponent to make an interception, haha.

Focus Punch did practically nothing (Hm I guess all those Iron Tails raised Pikachu's defense!) Though yes, Regice is physically weaker (if it weren't, I don't see why the heck it never bothered firing a Hyper Beam).

Pikachu didn't seem to have many struggles (a shruggable Blizzard ... cold thing ... and being frozen once). Seemed like the Ice Beam was only for the freezing effect. Didn't seem to have much power at all. Not a single Thunderbolt cancelled with an Ice Beam. Heck, Regice had no Thunderbolt (but that's too much into the game, but like the Houen League ... a Nyasu with Thunderbolt cancelled Pikachu's Thunderbolt, and it could have been implemented here as a "shock" factor and "a problem to overcome").

At first I thought Regice was using Curse, not Rest. That would make more sense in it "not moving so much", though none of the Regi's were very mobile anyways. Well, I suppose Regice losing was due to a "big hit". I'm sure if Regirock were hit by a Solarbeam by Jukain or Registeel hit by an Overheat from Cotoise, it would seem reasonable enough.

As far as the other starters' battles, they seemed reasonable enough. Some creativity here and there. Solarbeam oddly consistent, and Leech Seed being useful (though it used to be much stronger). It didn't really feel like Sawamooru or Solrock were that much weakened (more like periodically sapped ... which ironically is consistent with what it actually is as opposed to instant winner in Kantou days).

I forgot how ice and electricity correlate when mixed around. I'm sure that battle had several defiances of realism. Pikachu didn't even look worn down (though Jukain and Cotoise were both beaten by Lock-On'd one hit wonders). Regice didn't even have a "finisher" attack. Freezing the opponent only knocks out the ability to battle, but doesn't knock out the opponent. (And when that theme music plays, Satoshi will automatically win with several Pikachu consecutive attacks almost ALL SUCCEEDING, whether it's Thunderbolt or Iron Tail on a poor victim.)

Now how many Brain victories ended in Volt Tackle? Practically half? The writers probably amplified the damage and removed the "double-edged" effect of it.

Though I suppose the intent was a victory, so they reduced Regice's movepool (but seriously, taking out Lock-On and that energy ball ... and Hyper Beam was weird, because that was the Regi pattern.)

Regice was also half-invincible in movie eight (or had an invincible complex). I understand these are supposedly lesser Regi's, but this Regice was way lesser'd. The other Regis didn't even use a single move it had. Ignorance of Ice anyways, one slip! Probably some high static was implemented, so Pikachu can zoom a lot and Regice can't move a lot.

Shrug, all the battles up to the Pikachu battle had some drama, but Pikachu's was predictable (awesomely animated and very cool looking, but predictable. Heck, Iron Tail being strong against Ice types was predictable too.). However, I suppose the writers were slightly consistent with the Regi's intaking many many hits, it's just that Pikachu's had side effects called ... paralysis. I suppose beating the Regis previously lacked the big hit (which is why I didn't get why Jukain didn't fire Solarbeam or Cotoise not firing Overheat). I guess all those Thunderbolts, Iron Tails, and Volt Tackle were all like "critical hits", "hitting the weak spot", and "on the mark". Must have been the speed thing neutralising the slowness of Ice and being advantageous to the slow Regis (since against Regirock and Registeel, the pace was much slower. Perhaps the third time was a charm.)

Honestly I would have preferred a Shedinja instead of a Ninjask, as Ninjask was beaten a bit too easily (one Skull Bash, when it's charging with it's most offensively oriented attack? Must have been hit by surprise, because usually Skull Bash only finishes as a follow up move from say, a Hydro Pump.). A Shedinja would have forced Satoshi to figure out that only Leech Seed will work on it to win, hahaha (but then you'd get Solarbeam favouritism again). Well, they were Ninjask consistent too ... fast but very fragile (except that Kage Bunshin didn't do much at all! I expected a Hydro Pump clearing, not a Water Gun clearing. And um, where did Hyper Beam go?).

Leech Seed was good, it certainly was (though again I would have preferred it on all of the opponents. If it were on Regice, the Pikachu victory would be far more convincing. But no, Solrock didn't get interrupted by Leech Seed, so it got to shoot its Solarbeam.)

Actually beating the three Regis, based on the three Regi battles, seem possible (with the exact same matchups that is). Well, Regice wasn't up to par as the other two anyways (this might be a D/P thing where they make Volt Tackle a "physical hit").

But seriously, where did Hyper Beam go?

I just think a lot of things were left out. Good battle, but several inconsistencies (and using the opponent's Lock-On as a counter would have been a better idea than Pikachu at full power). Seriously, this is a Pikachu consistent with its performances against Brains, but not tournaments. It just ran over Regice! Oh well, based on a big hit concept, would this only make sense. Volt Tackle = Big Hit = lots of power = win. Regice's attacks were not big hits. Like others said, good battle, bad ending. It would have seemed less cheesy if it was Pikachu + Fushigidane/Zenigame > Regice. Regice was seriously like ... nerfed compared to the other Regis.

Magician_Ruwla

I've seen the episode and that little preview of the next episode...
and mayb i saw it wrong but in the next episode, then combusken is gonna evolve!!

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
Bah. I didn't think this was as great as people are making it out to be. Don't get me wrong, I thought the battling was decent and all, but it was hardly one of the best fights in the series. The Dome and Palace battles were far better in my humble opinion, and they both raised the bar for any future bouts. I guess thats where part of my dissapointment stems from. I expected the big finalé to kick both of them out of the water :/

-Squirtle and Ninjask's battle was definately the best of the lot, and the strategies employed were pretty interesting. Like Squirtle using Hydro Pump to cure it's temporary visual imparement for example. I thought that was a decent highlight.

-Bulbasaur hogging the spotlight always sucks, and I can only imagine the rage poor Yamato-san felt as it whipped Dusclops and then went on to tie with Solrock. But complaints aside, I did like how Leech Seed was finally portrayed as an attack that gradually weakens the opponent, as opposesed to just outright imoblising them.

[twitch] indeed... you know, it seems as though every time Satoshi's 1st gen Pokemon battle, it's just some lame excuse for them to have a battle that's simply trading blows between one another rather than the elaborate strategies we love, because the Kantou starters are "uber powerful" just for staying at some valley/fire squad/being a guardian (and being that before Satoshi got them for that matter, sans the valley... more reason the Kantou battle writing sucked). As you said, Gravy, this battle's really not as great as people make it, and sans Zenigame's Hydro Pump curing its blindness and Pikachu using Iron Tail to escape its icy prison, there was nothing interesting here. It's as I said from the beginning, this was just a sad, last-minute attempt at even more 1st generation fan-service, but to make things worse, Pikachu's been uberfied like it was in the early sagas, rather than fighting on the level of the powerful-but-not-that-much fighter it's been in AG (particularly after learning Volt Tackle).

We really had to get rid of Jukain and Cotoise's revenge matches for.... THIS!? MOTHER F***ER!!! Maybe this was also done because the writers were cheap and didn't wanna show Satoshi find a way around Lock-on... honestly, I could come up with a better scenario than copping out with "look, it's the 1st gen starters that everyone loves and worships! Love and worship them again and ignore our crappy writing!" What if, after Regirock fired Hyper Beam at Jukain and it curved to target him due to Lock-on, he ran towards Regirock, jumped over and behind it to fire a Solar Beam at its back, thus launching it into its own Hyper Beam and getting caught between two very powerful attacks, resulting in an instant KO? Sadly, that can never be... only possible within the realm of fanfiction/doujinshi now. T_T

I guess I can look at some of the positives here, though... Lizardon's proven not to be invincible against Pokemon supposedly below the tier of fully-evolved starters, and as Gravy pointed out, Leech Seed finally works the way it does in the games (minus Fushigidane recovering, assumedly). Plus, my prediction that Pikachu could be the one to take on Regice came true, and... well, that's pretty much it. After those few positives, I'm still very much crying inside. And so, after the negatives and the positives of this BS finale, I may as well mention the in-betweens. I was kinda expecting Spurt! to play for the final Frontier battle, to make it seem all the more climactic (Spurt! for that matter, doesn't sound quite as peppy as Battle Frontier, not that I'm complaining about its useage in the climax). And finally, Satoshi gets a plaque and is a candidate for becoming a Frontier Brain... yeah, his reason for turning it down was pretty damn predictable ("I wanna go on more journeys, fight in more battles, etc."), leaving him with just the plaque, which seems to be as crappy an award as completing the Pokedex (though, at least when you do that, you're left with 151-386 nifty allies in your fighting reserves). I hope to god that Satoshi's conquering the Battle Frontier is looked back upon at least some day in the far, far future.

Last edited: