• We're currently experiencing a minor issue with our email system preventing emails for new registrations and verifications going out. We're currently working to fix this
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pacifidlog Jam! (393)

TeddiUrsa

Well-Known Member
the last battle was a bit cheap...trying assist all the time until it will turn out to be fire spin....what would haruka have done if Jiynx weren t knocked out by her last move...?
I expected a better climax. maybe they want to wait with the good battle strategies until the festival

team rocket was ( as probably always) the most funny part of this episode ^_^ Meowth´s old ( and a new ) costumes were so cute
 

Sharpshooter

Battle Factory Champion
Well that was predictable, bit disappointed the girls made up before the match, I mean if that's the case what's the point in having the rivalry in the first place?

What was James running off with? That scene's familiar, reoccurances from the episode "A Shipful Of Shivers!" perhaps?
 

TeddiUrsa

Well-Known Member
do you mean the scene with Kojiro at the beginning, when he crashes into the wall?
Maybe he carries the costumes for meowth? I mean, he seemed so proud of the costumes when moewth wore them during the battle..maybe he did them?
 

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
JinChongBlaziken said:
How come Hakura keeps using Assist?!
Well, what the hell else could she have used? Blizzard wouldn't have been any help against either of her opponents and Doubleslap isn't exactly an attack noted for its destructive power...unless you count that one frightening Wigglytuff that KO'd Brock I suppose. Yeesh >.>;
...damn, I never realised how limited Skitty is when it comes to a variety of moves. If it didn't have Assist, it would be one boring pokémon.
 

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*
Gravy said:
Doubleslap isn't exactly an attack noted for its destructive power...unless you count that one frightening Wigglytuff that KO'd Brock I suppose. Yeesh >.>;

rofl...don't forget the smack down it gave Watts' Ampharos..

I'm kinda done with Assist being May/Skitty's saving grace. Maybe she should try teaching it something else. How about Thunderbolt? Skitty seems to like weird attacks like that.
 

Sharpshooter

Battle Factory Champion
Gravy said:
Well, what the hell else could she have used? Blizzard wouldn't have been any help against either of her opponents and Doubleslap isn't exactly an attack noted for its destructive power...unless you count that one frightening Wigglytuff that KO'd Brock I suppose. Yeesh >.>;
...damn, I never realised how limited Skitty is when it comes to a variety of moves. If it didn't have Assist, it would be one boring pokémon.
The only problem I have with Assist is just how random the whole thing is. Therefore it's fair to say that May's battles are based on luck and less so with skill, which won't win her tournaments if she were to constantly rely on it. But of course it's just a cartoon so it's not like they're gonna make that her downfall now, or will they?
 

Dogasu

Frustrated Elf
Sharpshooter said:
The only problem I have with Assist is just how random the whole thing is. Therefore it's fair to say that May's battles are based on luck and less so with skill, which won't win her tournaments if she were to constantly rely on it.
Not necessarily. Assist isn't so completely random--Eneko is only able to perform attacks that the rest of the pokemon in Haruka's team are able to. The pokemon's limited to about the twelve moves or so that her other three teamates know, so the outcome of Assist are finite. Because of this, Haruka is able to determine which attacks Eneko is able to perform, and can plan her strategies accordingly. Judging from a comment she made in part one, I think that's exactly what she's done--she figured out (probably with Takeshi's help) a way to follow-up every attack that Eneko could produce while using Assist.

If/when she catches Gonbe, I'm sure that she'll be able to figure in, say, Rest or Stomp into the picture.

So I'd argue that Assist isn't awarding Haruka any "luck" victories at all. The move is random, yes, but it requires Haruka to be able to think on her feet, which requires much more skill than people seem to think Haruka possesses.
 
Judging from a comment she made in part one, I think that's exactly what she's done--she figured out (probably with Takeshi's help) a way to follow-up every attack that Eneko could produce while using Assist.
Word. So Assist isn't just pure luck like one would think. It requires a lot of preparation on the trainer's part and quick judgement.
 

Sharpshooter

Battle Factory Champion
Dogasu said:
Not necessarily. Assist isn't so completely random--Eneko is only able to perform attacks that the rest of the pokemon in Haruka's team are able to. The pokemon's limited to about the twelve moves or so that her other three teamates know, so the outcome of Assist are finite. Because of this, Haruka is able to determine which attacks Eneko is able to perform, and can plan her strategies accordingly. Judging from a comment she made in part one, I think that's exactly what she's done--she figured out (probably with Takeshi's help) a way to follow-up every attack that Eneko could produce while using Assist.

If/when she catches Gonbe, I'm sure that she'll be able to figure in, say, Rest or Stomp into the picture.

So I'd argue that Assist isn't awarding Haruka any "luck" victories at all. The move is random, yes, but it requires Haruka to be able to think on her feet, which requires much more skill than people seem to think Haruka possesses.
I didn't say it was pure luck and more to the fact I wasn't denying May's ability as coordinator either, but I do think that within her arsenal of moves, say the possible 12 you suggested, there are some which will work to her advantage in certain situations and others that wont, quite naturally of course. Say for example she was up against a bug type, and decided to use Assist in order to hopefully pull of one of Combusken's fire-type attacks, but ended up with a grass-type attack such as Razor Leaf instead, wouldn't work to her advantage then now would it.

I'm ok with the move itself, and I'm not ignoring May's talent but I wouldn't want her to make a habbit of it, just incase it does go wrong when the moments critical. It's hard to be consistent, which is what's required for winning such tournaments, while using moves on a regular basis that produce inconsistent results.
 
We won't be seeing Eriko again correct? Now that she lost her chance to get her final ribbon, there's no way she can enter the Grand Festival. It's probably why they had Eriko apologize, there's no way they could have kept her if May was to win.
 
J

jynx

Guest
Alfonso said:
Murgatroyd, I know you know a hell of a lot more about the Japanese language than I do, but... eh, are you *sure* that he's saying 'I like it'? He appears to say 'Yaski desu ne', or something like that. I'm not sure what 'yaski' means, but 'desu ne' pretty much means 'isn't it?', doesn't it? o.o; *confused* I always thought it meant something like 'Remarkable/Great isn't it?' or something.

Gah, I'm most likely making an a*s of myself, but I thought I'd ask.
Ashiki desu ne?

Ashiki means horrible.

That's the closest I can get.
 

JazzJazz

Well-Known Member
Cybercubed said:
We won't be seeing Eriko again correct? Now that she lost her chance to get her final ribbon, there's no way she can enter the Grand Festival. It's probably why they had Eriko apologize, there's no way they could have kept her if May was to win.
We might see her at the Grand Festival in a show of support for May... we might see some of her other rivals from the past as well, who knows...
 

IceKing

Sexorific!
I think that she should have used a more variety of pokemon rather than just skitty. Each pokemon got a time to shine so the fifth one should have been a shared spotlight, or maybe May should have caputred Munchlax before the contest and used it instead.

Im glad that my favorite pokemon was only brought down because of luck (well, partially). But as far as Im concerned Jynx>>>>>>>>Skitty any day. But I cant say that Im not Proud of May. Hopefully Jynx will get her rematch in the Grand festival or The next region..
 

Dogasu

Frustrated Elf
Sharpshooter said:
Say for example she was up against a bug type, and decided to use Assist in order to hopefully pull of one of Combusken's fire-type attacks, but ended up with a grass-type attack such as Razor Leaf instead, wouldn't work to her advantage then now would it.
The same thing pretty much happened in this episode--the attack kept producing grass-type attacks against Rougela, who's an ice-type. Haruka's strategy seems to be that if she doesn't get a good attack the first go around, hurry up and use it again and again until you get the desired results.

I'm ok with the move itself, and I'm not ignoring May's talent but I wouldn't want her to make a habbit of it, just incase it does go wrong when the moments critical. It's hard to be consistent, which is what's required for winning such tournaments, while using moves on a regular basis that produce inconsistent results.
Unfortunately, with Eneko, she'll have to rely on Assist. I'll bring up Rougela again--Eneko's Blizzard wouldn't have done jack squat against the pokemon. Tackle? Not too effective. Doubleslap? Nah, that won't do so much either. As far as Haruka is concerned, Assist is the only attack of Eneko's that can be of any use against such an opponent.

By the way, was anyone else surprised when Satoshi just showed up in the audience all of a sudden? He actually watched Haruka's later matches, which surprised me since, if the next episode preview is any indication, Yukiwarashi hasn't mastered Ice Beam yet.
 

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
I'm pretty tired of assist. Besides, Skitty wouldn't be strong enough to use many of those attacks to their full advantage.

I would have laughed for a good five minutes if Houndoom ate Skitty and slurped up her tail like spagetti.
 
M

Misty4ever

Guest
So cheap battle. I didn`t like it.

How did she win that? Her Skitty won with strong Houndoom and Jynx. Little Skitty!
Do they really have to show so cheap battles? Maybe her Skitty has a magical power from a moon? Sorry but it is very silly...

Next time if she use a Skitty against Metagross, she will win. Skitty rules > >
 

Murgatroyd

Dull Manga Avatar
Alfonso said:
Murgatroyd, I know you know a hell of a lot more about the Japanese language than I do, but... eh, are you *sure* that he's saying 'I like it'? He appears to say 'Yaski desu ne', or something like that. I'm not sure what 'yaski' means, but 'desu ne' pretty much means 'isn't it?', doesn't it? o.o; *confused* I always thought it meant something like 'Remarkable/Great isn't it?' or something.

Gah, I'm most likely making an a*s of myself, but I thought I'd ask.
Looks like the crash ate my reply.

I hear it as Aa, suki desu ne.
Aa is one of those words without much meaning. In English, it can often be rendered as something along the lines of "ah" or "well".
Suki desu is generally translated as "I like it", though technically it is saying that the item in question has the property of being liked, rather than making a statement about the speaker.
Ne is a sentence-ending particle indicating the expectation that the listener will agree with the speaker's statment.
 
Top