• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pacifidlog Jam! (393)

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Against the Pokemon of trainers who are presented as competent in battling, rarely, if ever, do we see their main Pokemon effectively get one-shot from one super-effective attack. The fact that Skitty was able to do it to a competent Pokemon commanded by a competent trainer is mind-numbing.

What made Erika so competent? She didn't seem all that strong to me. A Jynx is engulfed in Fire Spin and finished off with a physical attack.

You've been watching this show for years, virtually 90% of the shows battles play out with the protagonist beating their opponent in only one or two attacks.

Vernikova

Champion
What made Erika so competent? She didn't seem all that strong to me.

She was hyped up as being an opponent to watch out for in the contest. They're not going to throw out a bad trainer in the final contest.

A Jynx is engulfed in Fire Spin and finished off with a physical attack.

I'm pretty sure that I've addressed this already.

You've been watching this show for years, virtually 90% of the shows battles play out with the protagonist beating their opponent in only one or two attacks.

I've stated main Pokemon for that reason.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I suppose that it's simpler to reiterate your point instead of actually responding to mine.

I responded to it. I have no clue what you expect out of a Fire Spin that engulfs a Pokemon not being able to do its job. Tackle is also always portrayed as stronger in the anime than the games.

Vernikova

Champion
I responded to it. I have no clue what you expect out of a Fire Spin that engulfs a Pokemon not being able to do its job.

And I've already countered that a competent trainer's main Pokemon doesn't get essentially one-shot in battle simply because it was hit with one super-effective attack.

Tackle is also always portrayed as stronger in the anime than the games.

The show makes it clear that Tackle is an extremely weak attack.

Vernikova

Champion
You just watched said episode, Jynx was engulfed in flames. It was then finished off with a physical hit.

Your entire premise is that Skitty was able to conjure up a powerful enough Fire Spin attack, a weak fire attack in the anime, to not only stop and repel a Hyper Beam and beat Jynx in effectively one hit. Skitty has never shown that kind of power up to that point.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Your entire premise is that Skitty was able to conjure up a powerful enough Fire Spin attack, a weak fire attack in the anime, to not only stop and repel a Hyper Beam and beat Jynx in effectively one hit. Skitty has never shown that kind of power up to that point.

It was Combusken's Fire Spin, and that was its main attack move, (Combusken never learned Flamethrower...that was the first attack it always used after evolving), and Skitty used it after multiple tries to get to the one it needed. Since Jynx is part ice type, the move was supereffective and then struck with Tackle as a last resort.

I'm not sure how you would have had it any other way. Certainly better than Skitty doubleslapping Jynx to death with its tail or something.

Vernikova

Champion
It was Combusken's Fire Spin, and that was its main attack move, (Combusken never learned Flamethrower...that was the first attack it always used after evolving),

Implying that it retains the same attack power that Combusken could produce. Nothing of the sort has ever been stated from what I remember.

and Skitty used it after multiple tries to get to the one it needed. Since Jynx is part ice type, the move was supereffective and then struck with Tackle as a last resort.

Skitty used it once. Every other Assist maneuver had been rendered useless sans String Shot which May had messed up anyway. Your final point is what we're discussing here in the first place. Prove that Fire Spin retains the same power that it has when used by Combusken or that Skitty has enough power itself to overpower an attack such as Hyper Beam and one-shot that Jynx because we both know that Tackle is **** in the anime.

I'll play with you tomorrow if you have something.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
What on earth? Assist always takes the same power as attacks from other moves, that's what the attack does. Do you not know what Assist does in the games? Its likely the same in the anime.

Vernikova

Champion
What on earth? Assist always takes the same power as attacks from other moves, that's what the attack does.

Are you trying to use the game mechanics as reference to what a move does on a the show? Really now?

Do you not know what Assist does in the games? Its likely the same in the anime.

It allows the Pokemon to use an attack known by a Pokemon in the party. Hilariously, you use the games as proof to reinforce your claim but fail to realize that its power is based off of the Pokemon using Assist and not the other Pokemon.

"The user hurriedly and randomly uses a move among those known by other Pokémon in the party."

"The user randomly picks and uses a move of an allied Pokémon."

"Attacks randomly with one of the partner’s moves."

"Attacks randomly with one of the partner’s moves."

"The user hurriedly and randomly uses a move among those known by other Pokémon in the party."

Vernikova

Champion
And thus it uses a fire spin attack to win. I am not sure why this actually bothers you so much.

You must think that I'm one of the regular PAD posters here and that I don't know how to argue. :rolleyes: You never successfully addressed my request: "Prove that Fire Spin retains the same power that it has when used by Combusken or that Skitty has enough power itself to overpower an attack such as Hyper Beam and one-shot that Jynx because we both know that Tackle is **** in the anime."

I've already shot the "same power that Combusken has" argument above so prove that Skitty has enough power to do so on its own or find a quotation from the show stating something about retaining said power. Otherwise you'll look as clueless as you did the last time you tried to defend the show's bad writing.

p96822

Evolve me please
I wouldn't call this contest bad or good, it was more of a meh to me. May puts all her fath in Skitty and she won it all. She was trying to get Fire Spin was intressing and did do more harm then good. But the Fire Spin is a super effective move and it did stop Jinx in it tracks. I'm really thinking that alot of May's oppenent in alot of contest like using Psyhic move on her alot. Anyway my ranting of this episode is a 7.5/10 even though it had it set of problems, but it was okay for a final match for May and Skitty.

NPT

Just a member
This episode picked up where "Mean with Envy" left off. Team Rocket cheated big time in this episode! I'm glad Erica's Jynx send them flying after they tried to capture her.

The battle between May's Skitty and Joshua's Houndoom was bad......no it was Stupid! I hate how one of my favourite Johto Fire-type Pokémon lost to a freaking Skitty. The battle between Erica's Jynx and May's OP Skitty was bad as well, I think the writers just rushed the battle and made Skitty superstrong so May can win the battle.
Overall, this was a badly written contest episode. The last episode was much better than this nonsense.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
This episode picked up where "Mean with Envy" left off. Team Rocket cheated big time in this episode! I'm glad Erica's Jynx send them flying after they tried to capture her.

The battle between May's Skitty and Joshua's Houndoom was bad......no it was Stupid! I hate how one of my favourite Johto Fire-type Pokémon lost to a freaking Skitty. The battle between Erica's Jynx and May's OP Skitty was bad as well, I think the writers just rushed the battle and made Skitty superstrong so May can win the battle.
Overall, this was a badly written contest episode. The last episode was much better than this nonsense.

LOL, what? Skitty beat Jynx using Assist for Fire Spin, how is that badly written? Jynx is part ice so it was weak to it. In fact this was one of the best animated battles at that time. I'll agree the Houndoom match was meh though.

Last edited:

NPT

Just a member
@CyberCubed, different people has different opinions. Just because you think it wasn't badly written, dosen't mean I have to agree with you on that. Hoenn has it's fair share of good and bad episodes. this is just one of the bad episodes IMO.

Edit: I don't think I need to talk about the Fire Spin, Vernikova already explained about it.

Last edited:
I thoroughly enjoyed the battles in this final contest episode.
Glad May got her fifth ribbon! :)