• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pacifism

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
Obviously, everyone's end goal is peace, even if they're waging wars to do it. Obama once said during his acceptance of the Nobel Peace Prize that military intervention is necessary to promote peace.

I'm not talking about that sort of philosophy.

Are there any people here who can't stomach the idea of war for any reason whatsoever, not even self-defense? Should we turn the other cheek when we are attacked?

For those who do, can you support that in real life applications? Or is it just a belief that you hold and you can't explain it?

Ðew™

Definition of insanity
Honestly, yes...I've always been that way. I don't see why we have to kill people just to get a point across. What about compromise? We really haven't seen that in a while. That, and 2 of the US's most recent wars have been pointless.

I became pacifist because I was, and still am, a bony guy. I wasn't gonna win a fight since I can be rather submissive and used to have no toughness. Otherwise, I can't really explain why else I am pacifist, I just am and haven't really explored why yet.

BigLutz

Banned
What about compromise? We really haven't seen that in a while. That, and 2 of the US's most recent wars have been pointless.

Compromising with nut jobs never works out well, especially with Islamic Terrorists, in the end it would only end with the further subjugation of innocent people. WW2 should have taught us that.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Honestly, yes...I've always been that way. I don't see why we have to kill people just to get a point across. What about compromise? We really haven't seen that in a while. That, and 2 of the US's most recent wars have been pointless.

I became pacifist because I was, and still am, a bony guy. I wasn't gonna win a fight since I can be rather submissive and used to have no toughness. Otherwise, I can't really explain why else I am pacifist, I just am and haven't really explored why yet.
Remember Bruce Lee was whole 160 pounds, and could defeat men twice his mass. It has more to do with the fight in the man not the man in the fight.

I'm not a pacifist. I don't look for a fight but I understand the need to. It's funny to here that when in his speech the president paraphrased Metallica's Don't Tread On Me, "to secure peace is to prepare for war " Which is of course quoted from elsewhere.

Maybe its the soldier in me but if you aren't willing to fight for what's yours, then you just won't have anything. Unless someone is willing to fight for you.

Geekachu

As much as I respect the sentiments regarding pacifism, I'd be a hypocrite to say that I was all for it. If somewhere's under attack, then taking the moral high-ground and lying on your back with a book of ethics isn't going to do much, and as much as I respect pacifism unfortunately in cases like this actions do speak louder than words.

Of course, this doesn't make forms of pacifism null-and-void IMO, I'm all for the ethics of people who believe that peace and democracy is something to be derived from the mouth. I think that war is something that shouldn't be thrown around loosely, and only used as a last resort.

sanae

stop trying to be god ☆
I'm not a pacifist. I do somewhat disagree with pacifism though. Well, extreme pacifism >.>

Aquanova

War should be used only as a last resort. I persoanally hate the idea of war, although I agree sometimes it is nessesary to defend your country. Pascifism is a good thing though, as peace is the goal to strive for, even when wars happen.

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
Obviously, everyone's end goal is peace, even if they're waging wars to do it. Obama once said during his acceptance of the Nobel Peace Prize that military intervention is necessary to promote peace.

I'm not talking about that sort of philosophy.

Are there any people here who can't stomach the idea of war for any reason whatsoever, not even self-defense? Should we turn the other cheek when we are attacked?

For those who do, can you support that in real life applications? Or is it just a belief that you hold and you can't explain it?

I oppose war based on the circumstances. I'm for self-defense in a national aspect, however. Every country needs a strong defensive military force to defend them from outside invasion forces or rebellions.

sanae

stop trying to be god ☆
I oppose war based on the circumstances. I'm for self-defense in a national aspect, however. Every country needs a strong defensive military force to defend them from outside invasion forces or rebellions.

Kind of what I'm trying to say.

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
Kind of what I'm trying to say.

haha you might want to work on communicating your ideas :rolleyes: just constructive criticism!

I also believe in pacifism when in the situation of a different war being waged by separate countries. It's best to stay neutral to avoid unnecessary attention or debts.

legendarypokemonmaster

I think that it would be incredible if the entire world was pacifistic. I don't know how this would be achieved, or how to react to threats/fights in the best way. I do believe personal self defense is not a bad thing, sometimes you are forced to defend yourself, it depends on the circumstances, but I won't try and draw lines and go into detail about that. I do not believe that war is ever a good thing, no matter what the reasons there are for it. Switzerland has done a good job staying out of wars.

The reason I'm a pacifist is because I was picked on all the time up until the end of ninth grade. All of that misery led me to seek comedy relief quite frequently, so over the years I have developed a very strong sense of humor and a love of making people laugh. It's not in my nature to intentionally make people feel bad; in the immortal words of Roger Rabbit "my one purpose in life is to make people laugh."
Also, I have an unbelievably strong sense of empathy; any time I see someone get seriously injured I feel a stabbing pain somewhere on my body.

The Director

Ancient Trainer
I think that it would be incredible if the entire world was pacifistic.

If that happened it will be the end of the world. For me at least.

Without conflict either in physical fighting or debating etc. the world would be a much duller place.

I mean imagine a world where everyone agrees with everyone else. That would so DULL.

"Hello, nice weather isn't it."
"Yes it is."
"Do you like animals, my favourites a chimpanzee."
"Mine too."
"..."
"Your hair is stupid."
"Yeah it is stupid."
etc.

I'm not against the idea of peace, but against the idea of TOTAL peace.
Without conflict, variance and difference what is there left to entertain ourselves with?

BigLutz

Banned
I think that it would be incredible if the entire world was pacifistic.

I dont know about that, in many ways it would lead to what we have done after World War 2 by adopting measures to keep another "Nazi Germany" from spurring up by allowing dictators to have free reign inside of their country, just as long as they do not invade others. Many of the most brutal dictators would thrive in a world of pacifism, they could torture, mame, and kill anyone they want, because they know no one will truly screw with them.

Switzerland has done a good job staying out of wars.

Yeahhh they also allowed themselves to end up surrounded in World War 2. No one in their right mind would think that Germany would have allowed them to exist after he was done with Europe. Not to mention Switzerland paid for their security in blood by secretly helping the Nazi's in their conquest of Europe.

Brave Bird

Chatot Fan
OP is noob 4 think'in fo' ebraone. I culd mac it my life's gol to cause peple as much misery as possible, noted I won't do it but...cases of serial killers for example. No motive of world peace, discharged from the army for obvious reasons...there are people out there that wage war for other causes. That aside, I belive the noteon of Pacifism is borderline iedialistic. Its complete bushleage! you cannot have world peace, you may think you want world peace but you really don't wahnt it. Sum ppl r beta' of ded.

Moneyy

INACTIVE
There will probably never be world peace. There will always be a reason for fights to start, and I believe if a country is attacked they should retaliate, resulting in more wars.

Seem

Hollen i ven.
Wars have been going on since the old king was alive and even biblical times. I would like to think there will be world peace but it is so complicated and highly unlikely. In a world of limited space and resources with an ever increasing population, there is always going to be conflict in all of it's forms until we learn to tolerate and respect our differences.

A country needs a strong military force, that goes without saying. I personally feel it should only be for self-defence and war should not be started on a simple reason as hate or to cause trouble.

I believe the words "If we don't end war, war will end us."

A country needs a strong military force, that goes without saying. I personally feel it should only be for self-defence and war should not be started on a simple reason as hate or to cause trouble.

This is somewhat stating the obvious.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I do not believe in fighting unless it is absolutely necessary. I myself have never started a fight and tent to think they are quite pointless other then for self defence. It is just not worth it to me.