• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Paldea Region - Discussion/Speculation Thread

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
I believe that the DLC areas for this game might include the islands of Corsica, Sardinia, and Malta.
As others have said, those islands aren’t a good fit for a DLC for Paldea. Those islands, and Sicily, would be better DLC for a future region based on Italy.

The Canaries and the Balearic Islands are a better fit for DLC areas. Other options could be Morocco or Southern France (IE - the part of Kalos that we didn’t get to explore).

The Canary Islands and Gibraltar are a high possibility, or maybe an area like the Basque region.
It looks like Gibraltar, or something based on it, is already on the map. Look at the lower left-hand corner.

They should’ve scrapped the Hawaii idea and instead base it on the Caribbean Islands. Thus each island would’ve been its own region, with other own customs and traditions, and THAT would’ve been a real innovation.
That would have been a cool idea, but I’m not sure the 3DS could have handled that. I’d love to see that kind of innovation in a future game, though…. The game engine should be at the point where it could handle multiple full regions with separate Dexes and storylines, and the Switch should have enough storage to support this.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
The region looks wonderful so far

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
It looks like Gibraltar, or something based on it, is already on the map. Look at the lower left-hand corner.
I never thought about the possibility that they could’ve rotated Iberia and assumed it would belong to real world Portugal tbh, but yeah, I can see the similarities with Gibraltar.

Though that would mean the top right-hand corner that is covered by clouds isn’t where real world Basque is, which I always presumed to be in a potential DLC.

But then again, there have always been changes to the real world counterpart to make a better region, so it might be Basque despite the rotation.
That would have been a cool idea, but I’m not sure the 3DS could have handled that. I’d love to see that kind of innovation in a future game, though…. The game engine should be at the point where it could handle multiple full regions with separate Dexes and storylines, and the Switch should have enough storage to support this.
Obviously the islands/regions would have to be smaller than an average region, but I think the 3DS should have been able to handle that if it can handle the islands anyways. The Switch, as you said, should have no issues with his whatsoever.

Hawaii was such a weird choice anyways. I guess they picked it because of the regions popularity in Japan, but we just had a tropical region in ORAS and no remake before USUM’s release, which meant 3 tropical regions in a row.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
So, since the Paldea map seems to be relatively congruent with the Iberian Peninsula, I decided to take a guess on what real life location each town is based on. Some were a lot easier to pick out than others.

wS3oYyK.jpg

Red and Blue

So, since the Paldea map seems to be relatively congruent with the Iberian Peninsula, I decided to take a guess on what real life location each town is based on. Some were a lot easier to pick out than others.

wS3oYyK.jpg
What caught my eye with Merida was that it had the ruins of a Roman Ampitheatre when I looked it up. Be cool to see it adapted in Paldea

Sarefan

Hylden General.
You're right. The town I marked as Valencia could very well be Barcelona.
Might be, but then it's strange that they didn't include the Sagrada Familia into it.

Orphalesion

Might be, but then it's strange that they didn't include the Sagrada Familia into it.
Wasn't there a structure that resembled it in the trailers?(so probably located in the main city)
In general I don't think we'll be able to match all the cities 1:1.
Regions are still just inspired by real places, not carbon copies of them ;-)

Sarefan

Hylden General.
Wasn't there a structure that resembled it in the trailers?(so probably located in the main city)
In general I don't think we'll be able to match all the cities 1:1.
Regions are still just inspired by real places, not carbon copies of them ;-)
Yeah, I remember something that looks like it though.

Lucky3

wS3oYyK.jpg
I'm Spanish and I think this isn't quite right. I believe the region is tilted compared to actual Spain and obviously even then it isn't 1:1. Also there seems to be some Portugal erasure going on. And the region feels less urban in general, probably to enhance the open-world experience.

The big cape on the southwest has to be in the rock of Gibraltar, but I don't know if the city there will actually be based on Gibraltar or in some Spanish city like Cadiz.

The area with the crop fields is definitely the Andalusian countryside, probably Seville.

If anything, the starting area looks more like the 'dehesa' of Extremadura (where Merida is), specially if it's full of Lechonks.

It should be the sun coast location wise, and maybe it still has a bit of it in the Beach, but it's missing the mountain range, where the highest peak in the Iberian peninsula is.

The name in the Spanish version for Grusha's town is a reference to Sierra Nevada, so I believe they've moved that up and fused it with the Pyrenees. Makes sense they wouldn't want to have mountain areas all over the place like real Spain, would get repetitive.

Speaking of the Pyrenees, I think they've also swapped places with the Basque Country, that has smaller and grassier mountains.

The other mountain in the northwest is probably the Peaks of Europe with the famous Covadonga lakes.

The lake area below that is probably Galicia.

The big city in the east does feel like Valencia, but location-wise with the tilt should be Barcelona. Probably a mix just like Mesagoza isn't just Madrid either. Wouldn't be surprised if it has some of Ibiza too.

The port town in the west I would say it's Lisbon and probably also mixed with other Portuguese cities. Unless they just omitted Portugal completely and it's based on the Galicians ports.

No clue what's going on with the desert there and the oasis city, unless that's where they moved the Tabernas desert.

The windmills are very iconic of Castille but they're pretty far away. I guess they couldn't really put them in the center of the region with the giant gaping hole.

Rocky area in the southeast is indeed probably Murcia, and the green area above it the region of Valencia.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I'm Spanish and I think this isn't quite right. I believe the region is tilted compared to actual Spain and obviously even then it isn't 1:1. Also there seems to be some Portugal erasure going on. And the region feels less urban in general, probably to enhance the open-world experience.

The big cape on the southwest has to be in the rock of Gibraltar, but I don't know if the city there will actually be based on Gibraltar or in some Spanish city like Cadiz.

The area with the crop fields is definitely the Andalusian countryside, probably Seville.

If anything, the starting area looks more like the 'dehesa' of Extremadura (where Merida is), specially if it's full of Lechonks.

It should be the sun coast location wise, and maybe it still has a bit of it in the Beach, but it's missing the mountain range, where the highest peak in the Iberian peninsula is.

The name in the Spanish version for Grusha's town is a reference to Sierra Nevada, so I believe they've moved that up and fused it with the Pyrenees. Makes sense they wouldn't want to have mountain areas all over the place like real Spain, would get repetitive.

Speaking of the Pyrenees, I think they've also swapped places with the Basque Country, that has smaller and grassier mountains.

The other mountain in the northwest is probably the Peaks of Europe with the famous Covadonga lakes.

The big city in the east does feel like Valencia, but location-wise with the tilt should be Barcelona. Probably a mix just like Mesagoza isn't just Madrid either. Wouldn't be surprised if it has some of Ibiza too.

The port town in the west I would say it's Lisbon and probably also mixed with other Portuguese cities. Unless they just omitted Portugal completely and it's based on the Galicians ports.

No clue what's going on with the desert there and the oasis city, unless that's where they moved the Tabernas desert.

The windmills are very iconic of Castille but they're pretty far away. I guess they couldn't really put them in the center of the region with the giant gaping hole.

Rocky area in the southeast is indeed probably Murcia, and the green area above it the region of Valencia.

Well I'll be damned. Thanks for explaining, mate!

I like that you went into detail with each visual. Really helps to understand. I do hope Portugal wasn't omitted. That would be just awful.

Lucky3

Well I'll be damned. Thanks for explaining, mate!

I like that you went into detail with each visual. Really helps to understand. I do hope Portugal wasn't omitted. That would be just awful.
It's just my take with a bird's eye view at the end of the day. I could very easily change my mind with more details. Even now I'm already thinking that maybe that city on the 'rock of gibraltar' could be inspired by Faro, the capital of the southern region of Portugal.

Mota

In the Spanish translation the starting area is called "Sendero de Cahíz" and the "Gruta Caleta" that is next to it, referring to Cádiz and Playa de la Caleta. That is, the adventure begins in the Cádiz area. And Gibraltar should be just to the right but I highly doubt they'll include it or make any reference being a British territory.

By the way "Glaseado" (Sierra Napada in Spanish) clearly represents Sierra Nevada but here they have placed it in the north erasing off the map Asturias, Navarra and the Basque Country, in addition to Galicia that is occupied almost entirely by water XD

Regarding Portugal, until now there hasn't been a single clear reference that makes think that this country is going to be represented in some way, so I wouldn't have too many illusions, especially considering that the game isn't even going to have Portuguese translation.

PD. I am also Spanish and I'm not fluent in English, so I apologize for any mistakes I may have made while writing this.

Last edited:

Lucky3

In the Spanish translation the starting area is called "Sendero de Cahíz" and the "Gruta Caleta" that is next to it, referring to Cádiz and Playa de la Caleta. That is, the adventure begins in the Cádiz area. And Gibraltar should be just to the right but I highly doubt they'll include it or make any reference to it being a British territory.

Regarding Portugal, until now there hasn't been a single clear reference that makes think that Portugal is going to be represented in some way, so I wouldn't have too many illusions, especially considering that the game isn't even going to have Portuguese translation.

PD. I am also Spanish and I'm not fluent in English, so I apologize for any mistakes I may have made while writing this.
Yeah, but as I said it's not really 1:1, a lot of stuff has been moved around. They have the Sagrada Familia from Barcelona as the main landmark in the central city to begin with. And Grusha's gym in 'Sierra Napada' seems to be located in the north instead of the south.

I personally can't see a big rock formation protruding south of a Iberian-shaped peninsula and not assume that's Gibraltar. Now, the city on top may or may not be the actual town of Gibraltar, but it doesn't really matter that it's not actually Spanish territory. They had Alderney in Kalos and it's not like Alola and Unova have ever been suggested to be connected. The Pokemon world is not our world, it's unclear if the concept of countries as we understand them even exists, much less that they have the same borders. Paldea isn't Spain, it's just inspired by it.

And names are just names at the end of the day. The main city is Mesagoza in English (from Zaragoza), Mesaledo in French (From Toledo) and Mesalona in German (from Barcelona). It's possible the Spanish translators in particular know a little better in this case because they're more familiar with the terrain, but I doubt they've been told the specifics of which area is inspired by what, so they're probably guessing just like us. They also have to consider a lot of things when naming stuff, not just what it's based on.

Last edited:

Mota

I already know that Paldea isn't Spain literally, I'm only talking about the references and winks that they are making, and if that rock formation is really inspired by Gibraltar (which I doubt it) then surely they will make some reference in its name and NPCs.

It only remains to wait for the names and other details of all the locations on the map to be revealed (as well as new Pokemon) to see what exactly inspired them, but for now I would say that it's only Spain and that's it.

Last edited:

Ultra Beast Lover

What towns are you guys the most excited to visit? I think I'm the most excited to journey to the desert oasis, those are always so pretty and a lot of fun to travel towards. Although Glaseado should also be fun to travel to, I'm just not sure about one thing. For a snowy desert, does a place like Glaseado count as a desert oasis or is that only for the sandy deserts? Just a random thought I had a few moments ago. I'm also interested in what looks like a resort type of city, it's the one with the sky scrapers.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Kinda suprising how they mixed in all the populated spanish towns and cities into one big metropole. Region feels more different than the real world counterpart than usual.