• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Paldea Region - Discussion/Speculation Thread

G-SANtos

I haven't had much time to post here, but I wanted to share my theory on the region's name.
The map shown in the trailer has a Galarian letter that resembles a "V", and a piece of what could be the Galarian letter that resembles an "E".

Mastered Realm, creator of a fan made map that someone used as a fake leak, has speculated the region's name is Veria, from Iberia.

Now, with how Galarian letters were used in SwSh, you can't exactly say the region's name starts with "Ve" just because the text uses letters that resemble them. But there's two things that make this possibility very likely.
1- Galar's name in Galarian text is mostly made of letters that resemble their Latin equivalents. Only the L is rendered with a letter that looks nothing like it, although it resembles the ラ kana in its Japanese spelling, ガラル.
2- The trailer seems to hint some of the game's themes and inspirations are light, water/sailing (Age of Discovery style maps), and space. As a native Portuguese speaker, I was able to think of a word that relates to both light and water, "vela". It is Portuguese for both "candle" and "sail" and its Spanish equivalent is also the same word. Researching to see if there were other meanings I didn't know, I found out there's also a satellite named Vela, meaning this word also connects to the hinted space theme.

So, not only do these make it probable the region's name starts with "Ve", or at least the Japanese one if they pull an Unova on us, but the second point might actually give us the region's name. I think the region's name is Vela, or something similar to it, at least in the Japanese version.

Red and Blue

Surprised they didn't reveal the name of the region or give us a map today. Wonder if they are hiding something?

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
When you look at a map of Spain, Madrid is basically in the middle, so I had an idea.

What if you were close to whatever Madrid would be called and could explore in any direction?

Of course you could have a situation like that in Galar, where cities and landmarks were jumbled up.

scififan21

I just don't get why we don't have a name yet I mean two trailers months apart and no region name? Guys your killing us with this here I'm hoping like heck some more news will get realeased asap so I know what to call the darn place. XD I mean all we know for sure is it has a snowy area, mountain/desert area? Oh and definitely based on Spain at least pretty good assumption.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
I just don't get why we don't have a name yet I mean two trailers months apart and no region name? Guys your killing us with this here I'm hoping like heck some more news will get realeased asap so I know what to call the darn place. XD I mean all we know for sure is it has a snowy area, mountain/desert area? Oh and definitely based on Spain at least pretty good assumption.
Honestly saving it for a region focused trailer.

Probably to show off how you can travel
what you can encounter
gyms and story related areas
possible links to the new mechanic they want to focus on in depth later
More character reveals.

Orphalesion

Honestly saving it for a region focused trailer.

Probably to show off how you can travel
what you can encounter
gyms and story related areas
possible links to the new mechanic they want to focus on in depth later
More character reveals.

I can imagine that a region focused trailer might also showcase 2 new Pokemon (or 2 regional forms), found in extremely different biomes. Like one that's encountered in the desert and one that's encountered in the snowy area.

Noy

Jungle Biome, they need to give us more diversity in the open world biomes. dense forests, reefs, and canyons; there is a lot of potential for fancy biomes.

for example a dense canopy biome could double as a fancy tree cave, and "grassy" hills biome (on top the canopy.) really give the players some atypical places to explore.

bonus points, if we get the return of diving underwater.

Orphalesion

Jungle Biome, they need to give us more diversity in the open world biomes. dense forests, reefs, and canyons; there is a lot of potential for fancy biomes.

for example a dense canopy biome could double as a fancy tree cave, and "grassy" hills biome (on top the canopy.) really give the players some atypical places to explore.

bonus points, if we get the return of diving underwater.

I'd love for diving to return. And we could get some reefs if, for example they include the Balearic Islands. Sure there are no coral reefs in real life there...but there are also no deserts in Manhattan, France, Great Birtain, Kyushu etc.

Same goes for a Jungle, really.

scififan21

I always forget about diving and I love the Gen 3 games Emerald is still my favorite game to this day. Could you imagine the possibilities for underwater exploration I miss that sooo much in Pokemon games. I mean I don't know if they will do it in this game, but maybe eventually especially if they continue the open world for future titles that would be great. Also any idea how far they go between news after the second trailers? Just curious I'm just hungry for more news already. :)

Noy

Control wise, flying and underwater swimming are almost the same; and, transition between air and water graphics is nothing new. So there isn't any reason to not have underwater exploration, aside from deciding not to implement it (and implementing some other feature instead.) So it's essentially a matter of whether they feel it fits in with the region. Though as mentioned, they didn't implement it for SM, despite how fitting it would be. Also, with as many water type Pokémon we have now, it wouldn't be hard to take only half of them to make a diverse underwater area. So it's kind of up in the air if they will re-add it at some point.

Luthor

I don't have any definite reason but my speculation for it but it could be something that they want to reveal later because the name is quite revealing. Like the Tiempo region for example which is Spanish for time (it'll probably be much more subtle than that but you get the idea). It also could just be something they wanted to save for later Legends arceus didn't reveal the name Hisui until the Wyrdeer trailer IIRC but it was less obvious because we knew it was old sinnoh and were not looking for a name.

map-with-marks.jpg
It looks like the gyms fit with the labels on the map in the player's room, and they look pretty well spread out across the region.
At a quick glance, I was only able to find 5 of the flag gates, which are implied to be connected to one of the other two ways of completing the game.

Orphalesion

I wonder if there's any meaning to the yellow and orange stuff floating about

Edit: There's quite a few yellow trees strewn across the map (at least I think that's trees) and the trailer showed the Autumn form of Sawsbuck,a nd we are in school in this game...
Could those just be autumn leaves blown by the wind, and the game actually takes place in Fall?

Last edited: