• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PalletShipping Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I-Heart-Richie

*jaw drops*

I-Heart-Richie, I swear you must be psychic, or at least very intuitive. I've been working on a fic with a rainy theme for quite a while now. It's slow going at the moment, but I'm not giving up on it, especially since you've brought that up. ^_^

How does rain associate with their relationship? Well...rain can be seen at least two ways: refreshing (every time they meet they have a fresh burst of energy and enthusiasm; well, Ash certainly does.) or depressing (With Gary's first few appearances in the anime he always said things that made Ash really depressed).

Anyways, awesome idea! *gives you a cookie*

Oh, and welcome slivershell! I was wondering when you'd pop up here :D

LoL, really? How awesome!! :D
::takes cookie:: ::munch, munch, munch:: Yummm, thanks! ^_^

I really like your answer, I want to wait a little more before I give my answer, but you did bring up some amazing points about the refereshing vs depressing times Ash and Gary have had. :)

TheLadyYuki

Starseeker
I really like your answer, I want to wait a little more before I give my answer, but you did bring up some amazing points about the refereshing vs depressing times Ash and Gary have had.

Aw, thank you! I'm just kind of rambling on a full cup of coffee. :D

There are actually two episodes that really demonstrate this contrast well, with the way Ash felt when he was around Gary; Dig Those Diglett (depression) and Power Play (energy).

My fic's going to center on both themes. I'm almost done!

Last edited:
Yay! Thanks TheLady Yuki! I've actually been lurking around here for while and I decided to join a few days ago!

So, onto the new topic. When I think of rain the first thing that comes to mind is death. Depressing huh? Well the scene I'm thinking of is a graveyard and of course it's raining. Ash sits in front of a tombstone, alone, cold and wet. Someone really important to him had died and he just has no idea how to function. Then Gary shows up with an umbrella, which can be symbolic now that I think about it...

Well, that's what I got.

TheLadyYuki

Starseeker
Well the scene I'm thinking of is a graveyard and of course it's raining. Ash sits in front of a tombstone, alone, cold and wet. Someone really important to him had died and he just has no idea how to function. Then Gary shows up with an umbrella, which can be symbolic now that I think about it...

Hmm...I like it! Depressing, yet with a hint of fluff. Maybe it's Pikachu who's passed, that's the only death I can think of that would have that impact on him. And he got a proper tombstone in the cemetery because Ash insisted. I can totally see Gary standing over him with the umbrella, though. :D

Shinnie-tan

Quote:
Well the scene I'm thinking of is a graveyard and of course it's raining. Ash sits in front of a tombstone, alone, cold and wet. Someone really important to him had died and he just has no idea how to function. Then Gary shows up with an umbrella, which can be symbolic now that I think about it...

Hmm...I like it! Depressing, yet with a hint of fluff. Maybe it's Pikachu who's passed, that's the only death I can think of that would have that impact on him. And he got a proper tombstone in the cemetery because Ash insisted. I can totally see Gary standing over him with the umbrella, though.

Hey, hey his Mum would have that impact on him too. xD SOBPIKACHUANDASHMUSTNEVERBESEPERATED;A;
And yes, that seems like such a cute hurt/comfort scene ;A;

Hey, hey his Mum would have that impact on him too. xD SOBPIKACHUANDASHMUSTNEVERBESEPERATED;A;
And yes, that seems like such a cute hurt/comfort scene ;A;

I acutally was thinking of Ash's Mom because what does Ash do whenever his journey ends? He goes home. He always has somewhere to go with someone there to greet him. And then she's gone. Does he have anywhere to go now? Is the place where he lived with his mother still his home, or is it just a house now? Does he have a place to go back to?

And then Gary shows up, sheltering Ash with his umbrella.

TheLadyYuki

Starseeker
I acutally was thinking of Ash's Mom because what does Ash do whenever his journey ends? He goes home. He always has somewhere to go with someone there to greet him. And then she's gone. Does he have anywhere to go now? Is the place where he lived with his mother still his home, or is it just a house now? Does he have a place to go back to?

And then Gary shows up, sheltering Ash with his umbrella.

Aha, I see. And, really...how many fics out there actually deal with his mom dying? She's very overlooked...aside from the third movie I think she got hardly any attention, and this sounds like a perfect way to respond to that. So, a cookie for you too, slivershell! :D

Last edited:
Aha, I see. And, really...how many fics out there actually deal with his mom dying? She's very overlooked...aside from the third movie I think she got hardly any attention, and this sounds like a perfect way to respond to that. So, a cookie for you too, slivershell! :D

If there are any, there's not a lot. She is over looked a lot, isn't she? I just might write something like that...

Shinnie-tan

Man, all this talk is inspiring me to write a dead!Delia fic with the Ash/Gary mushiness and fluff and stuff.

*shakes fist*

Okay, another topic that I'm kind of ganking from the Luckyshipping thread and hopefully, hasn't been done yet here:

What are the bad things about Ash and Gary that would cause their relationship some serious problems(either in actually getting together or afterwards)?

What are the bad things about Ash and Gary that would cause their relationship some serious problems(either in actually getting together or afterwards)?
Ash travel almost all the time and Gary doing research usually at one place at a time. They might not be able to spend as time together, but as long as spend important days together, they should be fine.

Gary is a hot guy, so woman would themselves at him to get his attention. This might not be a problem for Ahs because he would trust Gary, but over time, it can get to him. That's make trust another issue.

Since Gary is trying to be a big time researcher like his grandfather, he might keep Ash a serect feeling like it would hinder is goal, but Ash on the other is going around telling his freinds and mom. This could Ash to feel like Gary is ashamed to be with him.

Well, that's all I got.

Last edited:
Where have I been?
Jeez. You know life sucks when you're up at 2AM on a Friday night/Saturday morning doing homework. I love procrastination.

Look at all this discussion!!
TheLadyYuki said:
My train of thought just came up with something.

Does anyone else think it would be cute if it was Dawn who brought Gary and Ash together? I mean, I won't lie; right before I realized I was into Palletshipping, I pondered about Cavaliershipping for a while. And that left me with this scenario. Forgive me, I'm about to ramble!

Dawn confesses her feelings to Gary, but he lets her down easy, saying that he thinks he may have feelings for someone else. But, he's grateful for her honesty, so he decides to be honest with her in return, and says that he likes Ash. Dawn urges Gary to tell him, but Gary says he's worried Ash isn't ready to hear that sort of thing coming from him. Dawn thinks for a bit, and then says that she could find out for him. She then explains her idea; she and Gary will pretend to Ash and Brock that they've decided to start writing letters back and forth, getting to know each other better in order to possibly develop a relationship. Dawn will ask Ash his opinions about Gary, and she'll secretly be writing them down in her letters so that Gary knows exactly what Ash thinks of him. She'll also be carefully monitoring Ash's behavior whenever she mentions Gary. And of course, one thing leads to another, the plan is a success, and happy Palletshippers are dancing in the streets.

I dunno, I just really like the idea of Dawn turning out to be a yaoi fangirl only too happy to play matchmaker. ^_^

Dawn? Play matchmaker? Hmmm.... That quite an interesting idea.
But there might be some problems with that. Dawn really likes Gary and she really likes Ash, so she might not be so quick to play matchmaker for them.
I think she would try to have either Ash or Gary for herself first (let's just say Gary).
There would be a confession scene where she just pours herself out to him, stating how hot he is and how it was love at first sight for her. I imagine she would then burst out in tears and they would hug each other.
Then comes the rejection, mores tears, and more hugs.
I don't think Gary would confess in front of Dawn though; I keep on getting the feeling that he think Dawn is absolutely wacko.

Eventually, Dawn's going to get used to it and just let Gary go; she knows he likes someone else. Then she walks in on him at night, having a wet dream about Ash.... and it goes from there. xDDD

~~~
Hmm.... rain theme....
How romantic! xDDD
Reminds me of Korean dramas.
So here's how I picture it:

Ash just lost a MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR battle to Paul. He tried so hard to prove to Paul that he's a great trainer, but he still lost in the end.
So now Ash is all depressed, and he runs off into the forest.
Lucky him! It starts pouring and he gets all wet.
He takes off his hat and starts crying in the rain, water mixing with tears, dripping down his face.
So who better to show up than Gary??! xDD
He walks up behind Ash, but Ash is completely oblivious.
Gary puts his umbrella over Ash, pats him on the back, and starts to say "Ashy-boy" when he notices Ash is crying.
Ash raises his head and stared at Gary, the last person he expected to see. They share a loooong long stare.
Gary breaks it, insisting they go find a cave and camp out there for the night.
They find one and start a fire in it and have dinner.
They chat about past times, and update each other on their lives. Gary eventually lifts Ash out of depression and Ash falls asleep in Gary's lap.
In the morning, Gary sneaks in a quick kiss on the cheek and leaves before Ash wakes up.

I really like how you picked rain, too. It really does symbolize their relationship.
From Ash's point of view, it seems to be somewhat depressing and tearful.
He's always trying to prove himself to Gary and he's jealous of him too.
But there's just something about the rain that dissolves these kind of feelings....
Just like how when they're together, the rivalry and jealousy just goes away....
And eventually they realize they're not rivals but lovers xDDD

~~~
Hi silvershell! Welcome to the thread! -glomp attack-

And Shinnie-tan... I love your avatar.

~~~

Definitely their dreams and ambitions. Ash wants to be a Pokemon master, so he keeps travelling from region to region, busy catching new Pokemon and battling in new gyms.
Gary, on the other hand, occupies himself with endless research.

They're busy people! I doubt they'd ever have time to settle down and be with each other for more than 1 or 2 episodes.

It's not all bad though, since they're both always moving about, and are in the same region most of the time.
It's really a different feeling when you just randomly bump into each other.
It's much more... exciting, brings back intenser memories, and helps to fuel their passion and desires.

I-Heart-Richie

Ok, so to answer my own topic, I'm going to talk about rain as far as Ash and Gary are concerned. :) I really like the points that TheLadyYuki made about the depressing and refreshing times that Ash and Gary have had. I agree with this, but I also think that rain could symbolize the development of their relationship as well. Usually after a big rainstorm you see a rainbow somewhere, and I think that tells a lot about how their relationship changed. The "rain" could be all the times they had before when Gary and Ash used to fight, and the "rainbow" would be the relationship they have now and how they respect and appreciate each other. However depressing rain can be, it also has many good qualities (helps to grow plants, etc) and I think that just like the rain, all of Ash and Gary's tough times helped them to appreciate and figure out each other's potentials. One of my favorite Palletshipping moments is in 'The Unbeatable Lightness of Seeing' because out of all the gifts that Prof. Oak brought Ash, it took GARY'S letter to get Ash pumped again, and then who can forget the broken pokeball introduced in 'The Ties that Bind'....<3

Silvershell I like the questions you brought up about Ash and his mother. If Delia wasn't around anymore what would happen when Ash couldn't go/didn't want to go home? And how would Gary help him with this one, would he leave his researching for a while and go back to Pallet to stay with Ash for awhile, or would be invite Ash to stay with him up in his lab?....

Now to answer the new topic:

I think that a big problem would be their egos/how stubborn they are. We all know they can work together, but usually it takes some time before they actually do it. I think that eventually they would butt heads when it came to certain things in their relationship, and those things could range from Pokemon care/raising to where they should go out to dinner or even something bigger; career goals/plans etc.

Also like slivershell and Legerdemain were talking about with the whole traveling around, I think it would be a problem, but maybe not such a big one. Gary is a Pokemon researcher, his whole job requires books, and lab work and such, but he also travels around and is very "hands-on" with his work. Ash is a trainer and because of that he travels around a lot and goes to different regions. If they were really serious about making a relationship work Gary could always travel along with Ash. He could try what Brock does, which is traveling with Ash to different places to meet all types of different Pokemon in their own habitats. While Ash works on gaining badges, Gary would scope out the areas and study Pokemon. Although again, eventually their egos/stubborness could get in the way here too.

I remember the episode 'The Unbeatable Lightness of Seeing'. No, that's a lie. I only saw the postcard scene, that's all I wanted to see. I loved it! Ash gets all of these gifts and then he gets Gary's postcard and it has the biggest affect on him. And he called him Ashy-boy!!!

This is completely off topic, but are we allowed to have contests here? That would be so much fun if we could!!

Shinnie-tan

Uuuh, IDK. xD

Okay, answering my own topic now:

Well, their personalities in general.They're both hotheaded(Ash in particular) and when their views differ, they don't seem to be able to resolve them peacefully to begin with. It probably doesn't help that Gary seems to love riling Ash up and even if he has gotten better about it lately, Ash does seem to have lingering remains of an inferiority complex to Gary.

And then, like what everyone else brought up, their ambitions would put a huge damper on their relationship. They're both walking down different paths, going after their dreams that even if they may like each other somewhere in the back of their mind, they probably wont acknowledge it. And since they don't see each other often either, it would be hard for a proper relationship to really start up between the two.

So, do we need a new topic? I won't mind doing themes again. Let's see... a theme... My roomie choose CPR, so how about that? How would you all write a Palletshipping fic centered on CPR? I have one that I'm suppose to write. I'll just give you all the summary.

Gary learns CPR and practices on our favorite pokemon trainer.

It's nothing much, but it's CPR? So what does everyone else have? Something simple? Dramatic? Life or death kind of thing?

Pom Pom

I don't think that GaryXAsh could ever happen. (atleast in America)

The seires is aimed at kids too much.

Emerald_Infectiion

Little Big Dreamer
Noo waaaai!!! D:

Ash x Gary, although more hints in the Japanese version of the show, is still visible in the American version!
THE HINTS DO NOT LIE!
4Kids tries to cover it up with sickeningly friendly/rival-esque talk, but THEY CANNOT CHANGE THE SCENES!

Ash x Gary is comparable to Sora x Riku from Kingdom Hearts...
There are always hints from one of them -cough-rikuandgarydropthehints-coughcough- -shot-

BLAHA, I WOKE UP FOR A WHILE, GUYSS~!
The Palletshipper within me is starting to stir again. XDD

Pom Pom

Anybody got a link to the episode where gary winks at ash? I can find it.

Tadashi

kiss my greens
Welcome silvershell~ Nice to have a new member.

And Pom Pom, you're welcome to discuss as long as you do not limit your posts to a single line. It is a rule from both my thread and the Community's rules in general.

So, I promised caps, but, for the life of me, I can't get around to completing them @_@ So, in keeping up with the lively discussion, I'm gonna discuss topics.

Lets just say Ash was gonna die, Gary has one last chance to tell him how he feels, what would he say?

Satoshi: "Shigeru, please, there is not much time left. I have one last thing to say to you."
Shigeru: "Yes, Satoshi?"
Satoshi: "Shigeru...Geru-chan...I love you. I always have."
Shigeru: "Satoshi... I...don't know what to say. I love you too."
*they kiss passionately*
Satoshi: "Please...look....after....Pikachu...."

Wow. I. LOVE. THIS. ANSWER. It's like something you'd see on a Soap Opera... sure, it's a bit cheesy, but it's also dramatic, heartfelt, and there's not a dry eye in the house. Nice, S-Unit ^_^

See, my answer is just... different. I don't imagine there'd be insane amounts of drama, or any mush. I think that Gary would stay true to his Gary...ness til the bitter end. And shed a tear for dramatic effect.

What are the bad things about Ash and Gary that would cause their relationship some serious problems (either in actually getting together or afterwards)?

Well now, let's see... acceptance from others could be an issue. Even though I imagine that most of Ash's friends would be ok with it, I'm sure there would be objections by the girls who've had a crush on him (Macy, Anabel, Angie, Misty yes...) Oak and Delia might or might not object, but I have a feeling that they'd both be good with it.

Hmm... what else. Well, there'd be the issue of 'when'. As discussed before, now's not the time, since Ash is still a Trainer (and 10) and Gary is still on his way to being a Researcher (and he's 10?) It'd have to wait until they're much older, certainly. But then, who knows where they'll be in... let's say 5 or 6 years? A lot can happen o_o

So, we get age and objections out of the way, and they still wanna be together. Okay... where do we live? Pallet Town? If Ash is a Master and Gary's a top Researcher, can't stick around in small-town Kanto, right? Then suddenly, I see a career obstruction @_@ I always figured that Goldenrod City in Johto would be a nice place to live... maybe they'd find it suitable? Plus, you can take the monorail to Saffron in Kanto, always a plus. Meh, maybe they'll just travel a lot, and have various houses here and there. They'll both have oodles of money from their careers, anyway.

Geez, I'm just a real down-thinker tonight, aren't I? =\

Later days!

Status
Not open for further replies.