• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Paper Mario Discussion Thread (Origami King and Others)

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I actually liked Sticker Star. It genuinely gave me a jump scare that usually doesn’t happen.

R_N

Super Paper Mario I respect for its story but I would replay Color Splash a dozen times before ever going back to it.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Of course, the title isn't everything, seeing as Super Paper Mario, arguably the worst of the titles

You have made an enemy for life! Seriously though, I thought Super Paper Mario's gameplay was a genius direction. Honestly, I want Paper Mario to go back to the traditional route of Thousand Year Door but I do want to see Super Paper Mario's gameplay return in another game, perhaps in a soft reboot of a series that's never seen the light like Ice Climbers. There's actually a lot more you can do with a snowy mountain scenic landscape.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I really hope past characters from previous games make cameos. Francis’ reaction to seeing the art change would be entertaining to see.

shoz999

Don't know if this is said, but the eshop description states...

The kingdom has been ravaged by an origami menace! Join Mario and his new partner, Olivia, as they battle evil Folded Soldiers, repair the damaged landscape, and try to free Princess Peach's castle from the clutches of King Olly in this comedy-filled adventure, only on the Nintendo Switch system.

Mario and Luigi receive an invitation from Princess Peach to attend an origami festival and excitedly hurry to Toad Town...but something's amiss. After investigating the eerily empty town, the duo finds a fearsome (and folded) Princess Peach-she's been turned into origami by King Olly, ruler of the Origami Kingdom! With five giant streamers under his control, King Olly binds Princess Peach's Castle and transports it to a distant mountain as part of his plan to re-fold the world.

On his journey to liberate Peach's Castle and repair the ravaged paper landscape, Mario meets Olivia, King Olly's sister, and the two join forces to put a stop to Olly's origami onslaught. Even Bowser falls victim to Olly's plot when his minions are turned into origami Folded Soldiers and betray their Koopa king, forcing him to ally with Mario and Olivia!

Battle the Folded Soldiers in ring-based battles the challenge you to strategically line up enemies to maximize damage! Out of battle, Mario can use the arm-extending 1,000-Fold Arms ability in specific spots to interact with the landscape to pull, peel, hit, and more! Join Mario, Olivia, and their companions on a journey of laughter and emotion, thrills, and a whole lot of folding.

So... who else agree this is going to be yet another "It turns out the main antagonist is not the real main antagonist and gets betrayed or corrupted by the object/person of darkness!" plot again? Also it sounds like partners are making a return.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Don't know if this is said, but the eshop description states...

The kingdom has been ravaged by an origami menace! Join Mario and his new partner, Olivia, as they battle evil Folded Soldiers, repair the damaged landscape, and try to free Princess Peach's castle from the clutches of King Olly in this comedy-filled adventure, only on the Nintendo Switch system.

Mario and Luigi receive an invitation from Princess Peach to attend an origami festival and excitedly hurry to Toad Town...but something's amiss. After investigating the eerily empty town, the duo finds a fearsome (and folded) Princess Peach-she's been turned into origami by King Olly, ruler of the Origami Kingdom! With five giant streamers under his control, King Olly binds Princess Peach's Castle and transports it to a distant mountain as part of his plan to re-fold the world.

On his journey to liberate Peach's Castle and repair the ravaged paper landscape, Mario meets Olivia, King Olly's sister, and the two join forces to put a stop to Olly's origami onslaught. Even Bowser falls victim to Olly's plot when his minions are turned into origami Folded Soldiers and betray their Koopa king, forcing him to ally with Mario and Olivia!

Battle the Folded Soldiers in ring-based battles the challenge you to strategically line up enemies to maximize damage! Out of battle, Mario can use the arm-extending 1,000-Fold Arms ability in specific spots to interact with the landscape to pull, peel, hit, and more! Join Mario, Olivia, and their companions on a journey of laughter and emotion, thrills, and a whole lot of folding.

So... who else agree this is going to be yet another "It turns out the main antagonist is not the real main antagonist and gets betrayed or corrupted by the object/person of darkness!" plot again? Also it sounds like partners are making a return.
I’m thinking the same thing and Olivia turns out to be Olly’s relative, most likely daughter. Companions that join seem to be back after being absent. I’m curious if the Samus helmet appearance and the mention of Mario “battling someone” hint at something big?

shoz999

I’m thinking the same thing and Olivia turns out to be Olly’s relative, most likely daughter. Companions that join seem to be back after being absent. I’m curious if the Samus helmet appearance and the mention of Mario “battling someone” hint at something big?
Probably nothing, just a thought but I've always thought of that Samus cameo as sort of a hint to not only Metroid Prime 4 but that Paper Mario Origami King may have other Nintendo cameos hinting to other future titles, like that Donkey Kong head may hint towards a new Donkey Kong game. Again, most likely not because Retro Studios works better focusing on one project, not two or three.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I hope you're saying that ironically, given Sticker Star exists.

Super Paper Mario isn't bad for what it was, and it's worlds better than Sticker Star or Color Splash. Most people just had an initially negative reaction because "Muh turn based combat". Sure, the combat is pretty simple and most encounters can be cheesed (and Bowser + Carrie is a match made in heaven), but it had great story, characters, and worldbuilding.
You have made an enemy for life! Seriously though, I thought Super Paper Mario's gameplay was a genius direction. Honestly, I want Paper Mario to go back to the traditional route of Thousand Year Door but I do want to see Super Paper Mario's gameplay return in another game, perhaps in a soft reboot of a series that's never seen the light like Ice Climbers. There's actually a lot more you can do with a snowy mountain scenic landscape.

Okay, there's been a terrible misunderstanding. I love Super Paper Mario, it's my favorite of all the Paper Mario games. I was analyzing the title of Origami King, so when I said Super was the worst title, I was literally referring to Super Paper Mario's title, not the game itself, as it lacked any form of subtitle. In hindsight, I see how that was horrible wording, and I feel awful for insinuating that my favorite was the worst.

KillerDraco

Super Paper Mario's title isn't quite that bad, either. It's an amalgamation of Super Mario Bros (which the 2D Platforming gameplay is reminiscent of) and Paper Mario. Put 'em together and... Super Paper Mario.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I thought it was genius of Super Paper Mario to give the characters the ability to turn to the side and not only become nearly invisible and undetectable but also utilize dimensions so that you got a paper diorama vibe from the background and not a flat storybook setting. This led to many interesting ways to look at the game in a literal different angle.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
In a way, I'm fine with the partners this go-around not having unique physical characteristics. Kamek gets a pass anyway if this is indeed the Yoshi's Island Kamek, since he has a pre-established character to carry himself with, but considering the enemies all throughout this game are corrupted 3D origami figurines, just having the partners be tried and true paper counterparts can work out.

Worth noting Bob-omb here lacks a fuse, something every other Bob-omb in this franchise possesses, or presumably does but is covered by a hat. It's not much of a distinguishing (lack of) feature, but seeing that this Bob-omb seems rather chill about things, it helps convey the pun.

As for the plot itself, this is the first time Mario teaming up with Bowser and his soldiers has been the premise of the game, and will stick the whole way through. The two have teamed up on occasion before, but each of those times it's been with just Bowser, or, in the case of BiS, Bowser had no clue what Mario was doing. This is a refreshing spin and has potential for more moments with Bowser, Kamek, and Jr., though Bowser will need to get out of that folded state early on for that potential with him to surface.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Kamek joining Mario and becoming an antihero for once would be interesting to see. His main concern bar the Mario Party games is to protect and serve Bowser and if the big boss is being threatened then it’d make sense for him to do whatever it takes to save Bowser even if it means helping Mario. They would both share a common enemy and by them working together, the enemy would be caught off guard trying to defend themselves from all directions. I hope we can switch the active party member like we could in Super Paper Mario. I can picture Kamek being the sorcerer of the group and casting spells to remove roadblocks and also fly across huge gaps on his broom.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I'm not convinced that the Magikoopa we see in the trailer is Kamek, as opposed to a random Magikoopa. Kamek is almost always shown riding his broomstick, especially in Paper Mario. The broomstick is essentially the trait used to distinguish him from other Magikoopas. Since this one walks, that would imply it's just a regular Magikoopa. I hope I'm wrong though, because it would be pretty cool to team up with Kamek.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I'm not convinced that the Magikoopa we see in the trailer is Kamek, as opposed to a random Magikoopa. Kamek is almost always shown riding his broomstick, especially in Paper Mario. The broomstick is essentially the trait used to distinguish him from other Magikoopas. Since this one walks, that would imply it's just a regular Magikoopa. I hope I'm wrong though, because it would be pretty cool to team up with Kamek.
Didn’t Kammy also fly on a broom? I’m thinking that among the Magikoopas, only the highest ranked ones use a broom. Kammy’s Magic is just about as powerful as Kamek’s.