• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Paper Mario Discussion Thread (Origami King and Others)

R_N

For me how aggravating this system is is based purely on how many uses they have. If it really is like FE it'll fall into the "annoying but can live" if its only like 5 uses its why even bother

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Yup, skipping this one.
Give it a chance. The reason why people hated the sticker system is that it essentially replaced beloved mechanics like the companions. It looks like their keeping the sticker system separate from it, treating it more like items perhaps.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Give it a chance. The reason why people hated the sticker system is that it essentially replaced beloved mechanics like the companions. It looks like their keeping the sticker system separate from it, treating it more like items perhaps.
That absurd amount of coins when Mario's HP is 40 but it's seen he later has over 140 HP gives really bad vibes to me. Why does he have that much money if not to use for buying multiple copies of one battle item?

R_N

That absurd amount of coins when Mario's HP is 40 but it's seen he later has over 140 HP gives really bad vibes to me. Why does he have that much money if not to use for buying multiple copies of one battle item?
You can use coins to buy extra Time during battle

shoz999

Not sure but I'd wait till the reviews hit. There's clearly a lot of new and re-done mechanics for this new game. On another note, I've noticed that all the enemies we've seen so far are Origami enemies and real-life "things" as bosses.

R_N

ngl when the bosses were first introduced i was like "ugh things again...."

Making the things bosses is at least a cute shake up. There being normal bosses also works. Looks like there's a phoenix and a turtle origami boss sepatate from the stationary (which seem to correspond to Olivia's transformations) so I'm guessing there'll be a tiger and a dragon.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
This trailer has gotten me even more psyched for the game. It looks woderful. It's not quite the old style, but not the new style either. They seem to have found a middle ground. The areas look interesting, so much more than linear levels, and the battle system looks really fun. And of course, let's not forget the most important part about Paper Mario, the humor looks top notch. Very excited.

Also, does anyone else think this trailer was originally meant to be a part of the E3 digital presentation? The way it had a narrator explaining the game, it felt like the typical E3 presentation trailer. Speaking of, why isn't Nintendo doing a special Direct right now to replace E3. Has there been any official statement? It's not like they need to have a physical presence to do their usual presentation.

shoz999

ngl when the bosses were first introduced i was like "ugh things again...."

Making the things bosses is at least a cute shake up. There being normal bosses also works. Looks like there's a phoenix and a turtle origami boss sepatate from the stationary (which seem to correspond to Olivia's transformations) so I'm guessing there'll be a tiger and a dragon.
Makes sense. I always loved the phoenix, turtle, tiger, and blue dragon theme. As for the things themselves, it reminds me of the Steak fight from Color Splash. So much comedy potential right there. I'd prefer the traditional bosses but I do think these will be some pretty memorable boss fights if they capture Color Splash's humor. Say all you want about Color Splash guys but it had some real good comedy right there.

R_N

This trailer has gotten me even more psyched for the game. It looks woderful. It's not quite the old style, but not the new style either. They seem to have found a middle ground. The areas look interesting, so much more than linear levels, and the battle system looks really fun. And of course, let's not forget the most important part about Paper Mario, the humor looks top notch. Very excited.

Also, does anyone else think this trailer was originally meant to be a part of the E3 digital presentation? The way it had a narrator explaining the game, it felt like the typical E3 presentation trailer. Speaking of, why isn't Nintendo doing a special Direct right now to replace E3. Has there been any official statement? It's not like they need to have a physical presence to do their usual presentation.
Considering how close to their chest their March direct was, I think covid has put their line up into disarray and rather than risk announcing things that might not make it, they're just announcing things when they're ready to go.

Which, obviously, is not an issue for Sony & Microsoft & such, but Nintendo's always done their own thing (& also aren't putting out a new console they need to show off).

shoz999

Considering how close to their chest their March direct was, I think covid has put their line up into disarray and rather than risk announcing things that might not make it, they're just announcing things when they're ready to go.

Which, obviously, is not an issue for Sony & Microsoft & such, but Nintendo's always done their own thing (& also aren't putting out a new console they need to show off).
I do wonder what their next Switch game will be. A lot of fans are speculating Nintendo's big holiday release is going to be Breath of the Wild 2, though a part of me kind of doubts it.

Chaos Emperor

No hope.....

fans will never give paper mario a fair shake anymore. Unless the game is an exact 1:1 replica of TTYD they will call it the worst thing ever regardless of quality. At least that’s what I see online.

KillerDraco

fans will never give paper mario a fair shake anymore. Unless the game is an exact 1:1 replica of TTYD they will call it the worst thing ever regardless of quality. At least that’s what I see online.

Yeah no, that's not really the issue. The problem with Sticker Star, Color Splash, etc. isn't that they're simply not TTYD; it's that they're inherently, mechanically flawed in that there was no real incentive to battle.

Sticker Star had it worse because you had this weird little cycle of Winning battles only rewards you with coins > Coins are used to buy stickers > Stickers are consumed to win battles. So by not battling you keep your stickers and don't actually need to buy more, especially since you find most of the best stickers rather than buying them. What's the point of having battles if you end up at the exact same end result regardless of if you battle or not?

Color Splash had a little more incentive in that enemies could drop paint but you still have the issue of consumable attacks actually deterring you from battles since you can just as easily skip battles and conserve your resources.

Paper Mario has gotten more than a fair shake but it continues to miss the mark; Sticker Star was legit a bad game, and I don't say that often. Color Splash wasn't bad per say and the writing was pretty clever at times, but the battle system was still flawed. And I can't say I'm too confident in Origami King's battle system, because based on the trailer, it seemed to suggest the reward for Battles is just coins again. I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt until seeing the finished product, but if we run into another "Coins only" reward system, then I gotta say the point is still being missed. Especially since the website confirmed that although you have infinite use of basic jump and hammer, additional equipment (i.e., the Shiny Jump/Hammer shown in the trailer) has durability and will break and need to be replaced, which calls back concerns to lack of incentivizing battles.

We shall see.

R_N

I'd need to go over everything we know again, but I would be surprised if Confetti wasn't also earned from battles

shoz999

Yeah no, that's not really the issue. The problem with Sticker Star, Color Splash, etc. isn't that they're simply not TTYD; it's that they're inherently, mechanically flawed in that there was no real incentive to battle.

Sticker Star had it worse because you had this weird little cycle of Winning battles only rewards you with coins > Coins are used to buy stickers > Stickers are consumed to win battles. So by not battling you keep your stickers and don't actually need to buy more, especially since you find most of the best stickers rather than buying them. What's the point of having battles if you end up at the exact same end result regardless of if you battle or not?

Color Splash had a little more incentive in that enemies could drop paint but you still have the issue of consumable attacks actually deterring you from battles since you can just as easily skip battles and conserve your resources.

Paper Mario has gotten more than a fair shake but it continues to miss the mark; Sticker Star was legit a bad game, and I don't say that often. Color Splash wasn't bad per say and the writing was pretty clever at times, but the battle system was still flawed. And I can't say I'm too confident in Origami King's battle system, because based on the trailer, it seemed to suggest the reward for Battles is just coins again. I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt until seeing the finished product, but if we run into another "Coins only" reward system, then I gotta say the point is still being missed. Especially since the website confirmed that although you have infinite use of basic jump and hammer, additional equipment (i.e., the Shiny Jump/Hammer shown in the trailer) has durability and will break and need to be replaced, which calls back concerns to lack of incentivizing battles.

We shall see.
Honestly Sticker Star is the reason why I don't think Nintendo should have greater creative control over the Pokemon series if GameFreak were somehow bankrupt or sold the rights to someone else. The reason why is that Sticker Star was born out of a want for innovation on Shigeru Miyamoto's end who grew tired of the Paper Mario formula from Thousand Year Door even though fans say don't fix what ain't broke. It's a great reminder that attempting to innovate is always a risky process, especially for RPGs who already have a good system in-place that makes the series loved to begin with. It's especially interesting that Pokemon can never really innovate again unless it tries throwing away it's combat/catching mechanics, the core part of the series that makes Pokemon, Pokemon for something new and different. That is something I noticed competitive fans are very afraid of ever since that false rumor got people talking about a potential real-time system or how a few polls, like the one at Nintendolife, show that casual fans do want a real-time combat system and are sick and tired of the traditional combat system while hardcore fans express fear over the subject. Anyways, I'm still looking for to this Paper Mario game. It looks like all the experimentation from the last two games will pay off and if the battles feel more like a chore than anything else, at least the humor is still something to look forward to.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think I am one of the few defenders of Sticker Star. I honestly don’t think it’s nearly as bad as people claim. Yeah it has its flaws but lots of games do. Sticker Star isn’t the best game ever made but it also isn’t the worst. It’s an enjoyable average game that has some interesting moments in it and we got to see some stuff being explored that wasn’t talked about before such as Wriggler’s segments can be completely self reliant and mobile if separated from the rest of its body by force and capable of independent thoughts and see things despite having no eyes. The levels were creative with my favorite being the haunted chateau and desert with the Yoshi Sphinx and pyramid full of hidden traps and one way passages.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
Only problem with Sticker Star was Items for Bosses. Not knowing which ones to use until you get there, unless you look it up. Other wise the game was just fine.

I'll have to look up Origami King though, that Trailer a few posts up is the first i've seen of it.

Last edited:

KillerDraco

Yeah, that's the dealbreaker for me. This will be an easy pass for me.

shoz999

At least we can enjoy the brilliant humor of Paper Mario's story at least... hello. Hello? Where did everyone go?