• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Paper Mario Discussion Thread (Origami King and Others)

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
That's what Youtube videos are for, so I don't burn $59.99 + tax on funny text only.
True but you won't get the same experience out of it and a Paper Mario game never disappoints when it comes to delivering an experience, except maybe Sticker Star. Definitely Sticker Star. Anyone can easily skip Sticker Star, watching YouTube videos included.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I'm not sure that we're not seeing some of what would constitute as experience.
In Paper Mario Color Splash, you would collect paint after the battle in the overworld, so what's saying that isn't still the case.

I'm not saying people don't have the right to be skeptical though.

Anyway, the Treehouse is going to have footage from the game tomorrow (they will also have footage from a new Wayforward game).

Maybe this will clear the air a bit.

Edit: According to Gamexplain, you also get confetti, which from what I'm gathering, allows you to fix areas.
It isn't a traditional levelling-up system like some RPG fans would want, but take it how you will.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Lack of experience is a bummer, but far from a deal breaker. They could still refine a new system that might work. And I still enjoyed Color Splash enough that an improved version of that system, with better world design could easily be enough to keep me happy.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I think it should be stated that whether or not you like the new Paper Mario games, please don't harass the developer.

Some of the decisions, like no redesigns of Mario characters, were not his decision.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I’ve played a bit of the new game today. I like it so far and think the art style is really good. I am just outside of the Whispering Woods.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Here's the thing with a game like Origami King. I've seen the backlash the game and Tanabe have gotten. And it's pretty obvious that Nintendo would just as soon take a tone-deaf approach to it all.

So I've solved the problem for myself personally. I just choose not to review the game. I'm not going to give it any screentime whatsoever. I'm not going to Let's Play it. I'm not going to review it. I'm not even going to do so to complain about it. I'm just going to ignore it, and I suggest high profile game journalists do the same. If Nintendo refuses to even listen to its player-base, then don't give the game any kind of free marketing.

Fun fact though, Whispering Woods was a location in the original She-Ra cartoon.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I like the Origami King and I can’t stop playing it! It’s been awhile since a game made me play so much of it in such a short period of time.

Fun fact though, Whispering Woods was a location in the original She-Ra cartoon.
It is still a location in the reboot.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Here's the thing with a game like Origami King. I've seen the backlash the game and Tanabe have gotten. And it's pretty obvious that Nintendo would just as soon take a tone-deaf approach to it all.
It should be reiterated that Tanabe didn't make many of the decisions, and therefore, the fault shouldn't fall squarely on him.
I'm not saying that you are thinking otherwise, but it should be noted.

So I've solved the problem for myself personally. I just choose not to review the game. I'm not going to give it any screentime whatsoever. I'm not going to Let's Play it. I'm not going to review it. I'm not even going to do so to complain about it. I'm just going to ignore it, and I suggest high profile game journalists do the same. If Nintendo refuses to even listen to its player-base, then don't give the game any kind of free marketing.
It's pretty silly to expect gaming journalists, the same people who get paid for reviewing games like Metal Gear Survive and Fallout 76, to not do their job and give any game that gets into their hands a fair review. I also get that some people, including other people in this thread, have said that they didn't want to play the game because it's not what they want from the series, and that's okay. However, one shouldn't speak for everyone. Personally, I do want to try it (I may borrow it from a friend if he gets it), since I did like Color Splash.

R_N

I beat origami king

My blistering hot take: It was pretty good and I enjoyed my time with it.

Please just next game have no turn based battles outside of bosses, though.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
It should be reiterated that Tanabe didn't make many of the decisions, and therefore, the fault shouldn't fall squarely on him.
I'm not saying that you are thinking otherwise, but it should be noted.

No, as far as I can tell only Nintendo has given anything that can be considered a response to it. And it's completely tone-deaf. I was just acknowledging that he received backlash from gamers as well.

It's pretty silly to expect gaming journalists, the same people who get paid for reviewing games like Metal Gear Survive and Fallout 76, to not do their job and give any game that gets into their hands a fair review. I also get that some people, including other people in this thread, have said that they didn't want to play the game because it's not what they want from the series, and that's okay. However, one shouldn't speak for everyone. Personally, I do want to try it (I may borrow it from a friend if he gets it), since I did like Color Splash.

I've seen this happen with other games. If a game's dev team or a company refuses to even listen to the player-base, then it's a more effective approach to simply not acknowledge the game. There have been self-proclaimed game journalists that have done just that (though I admittedly use the term 'journalist' for the sake of convenience, since I don't believe there is such a thing as journalists anymore). And it had an impact.

Look at it this way. Say the game is the worst game ever made (I'm not saying this game is that; I'm just using this for perspective), or it has a dub that's the worst dub you've ever heard. So bad in fact, that it becomes infamous. So you go to review the game, and you talk about all of the problems it has. People will play it out of curiosity. They'll need to know how deep the rabbit hole goes. I've seen this happen with movies and games. Some of the most famous examples are Chaos Wars on the PS2 and the film, The Room. Both of these are examples of media that became famous in pop culture due to 'journalists' talking about them. Without that publicity, whether good or bad, people wouldn't even know about them.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Yeah, but why should journalist care about whether Paper Mario: TOK pays attention to "what the fans want"? That's not their job.
I was one of the people who loved PM:64 and TTYD, and I still take the newer games in like they are.
On that note, it's not like people who loved the first two games will necessarily hate the newer ones (maybe Sticker Star because Sticker Star).

Also, I don't think it's fair to say that all or most video game journalists don't do morally honest work.
Sure, you have Filip Miucin, who plagiarized while working for IGN, but that doesn't speak for all journalists.
Most journalists do, at least, an okay job on covering games, even if I don't necessarily agree with them 100%.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Never played a Paper Mario game and was going to pick up Origami King but the backlash makes me want to pass. I'm sure people are overreacting on both sides so maybe I'll check it out in the future

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I don’t get why people keep expecting Paper Mario games to be exactly like 1000 Year Door. I understand it is a great game but you need to change things in any series at some point to keep things fresh and interesting and don’t keep hoping the next new game would be exactly the same. Animal Crossing changes things up with each new game. Kirby made two excellent 2.5D games that utilized the background scenery very well. Even Zelda went from a 3D game series where you could only do certain things to having a massive open world map that lets you climb and swim without requiring you to get certain items. The “bad” Sonic games suffer because they keep trying to use the same mechanics as previous games which then don’t turn out that well because the new gimmick was poorly designed. The developers of the Paper Mario series are exploring new types of paper artwork and managed to make it look so real and fully dimensional. It must have taken a long time to make Olly look like he had fold that gave a 3D illusion and yet still had to be 2D to resemble paper. Even Bowser Jr looks crumpled up yet he still give you a flat look.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
don’t keep hoping the next new game would be exactly the same.
Mario & Luigi retained the same feel every single entry while adding new battle mechanics.

Paper Mario decided to look the other way and tossed puzzles into RPG battles, which then became phased out so the puzzle aspect was more or less the central focus of battles.

In fact, Mario & Luigi goes against the ideology Paper Mario has adopted.