• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Paper Mario Discussion Thread (Origami King and Others)

Houka

Money is not that bad of an idea and no exp is either it just they used it fairly poorly. If ya want things ya need to sped to get them back and I found that a lot of good sticker can be a bught rather then found. Sure the best sticker are found but you'll have to redo the stage if you want multiple of said stickers, I just find much easier just buying them. The sticker shop at the ice area is the best in this regards and Shin enemies give a lot of cash. As for charm, there are bits here and there but not as mvh as I would like, considering this whole game was scraped and rebuilt I can see if they left those elements out to fit a quota.

Nothingjustgo.

Got to disagree there. The above Gooper Blooper battle is an example of that charm, and other things like the standard level of dialogue, the reappearance of the game show quiz, sombero guys, the unexpected Birdo cameo, the baffle woods...

I mean, each to their own, but lack of charm is not a complaint I had.

Yeah that stuff was cool and I liked that but it was very few and far between. Most of it was treking through deserts, ice, forests, Bowser's castle, etc.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
The only Paper Mario game I've played is Super Paper Mario. It was a decently fun romp, but the pit of 100 trails turned me off the game ever since that incident I had.

I am in conflict with myself in whether I should get the original on the Wii U VC. I am not sure whether I would like it or not.

Personally, I am more of a Mario & Luigi girl. Speaking of which, I would like to point out that Paper Jam is not a Paper Mario game; it's a Mario & Luigi game with Paper Mario in it. Hope that clears things.

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here
There would have been nothing wrong with producing TTYD clones, no matter what Miyamoto thinks. A game with a decent script? Can't have that apparently.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It seems pretty certain at this point that the game will be linear and level-based, unlike the traditional Paper Marios. That being said, it does look much better than Sticker Star, so that's a plus.

Rakurai

The game looks like a big improvement over Sticker Star, but it's still lacking that certain something that made the series appeal to me originally, so I doubt I'll pick it up.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
The only two Paper Mario games I've played have been TTYD and Super. I love the stories, the amusing dialogue, and the engaging gameplay of these games. Bearing in mind that Sticker Star is apparently the universally least liked of all the games in the series thus far, I've decided to hold off on any judgment for Color Splash until more info is revealed.

This is exactly my sentiment. Played Thousand Year Door and Super, and while both are very different I've enjoyed them both on their own merits, and I love the writing. From what I've heard though, Sticker Star had a barebones story (I'm pretty sure having a Mario RPG where Bowser doesn't talk is a crime) and tedious gameplay. Unless the reception and reviews for Colour Splash are good, I won't be getting it. Shame, really. :/

I also have Paper Jam as well... Into the desert area which doesn't seem far at all. Haven't gotten far despite getting the game for Christmas... Other games have just done a far better job at capturing my attention. I wouldn't call Paper Jam BAD, though - more like standard fare for both series, not quite as good as the two Paper Marios nor Bowser's Inside Story, more like Dream Team Bros level quality - acceptable and fun enough but nothing about it is sticking out.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
This is exactly my sentiment. Played Thousand Year Door and Super, and while both are very different I've enjoyed them both on their own merits, and I love the writing. From what I've heard though, Sticker Star had a barebones story (I'm pretty sure having a Mario RPG where Bowser doesn't talk is a crime) and tedious gameplay. Unless the reception and reviews for Colour Splash are good, I won't be getting it. Shame, really. :/

Honestly, if you haven't played Sticker Star, I suggest you get it and judge it for yourself. It certainly was nowhere near as good as the first three Paper Mario games, but in it's own way, it was still a decent game, as long as you don't try to hard to compare it to the previous titles.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
Honestly, if you haven't played Sticker Star, I suggest you get it and judge it for yourself. It certainly was nowhere near as good as the first three Paper Mario games, but in it's own way, it was still a decent game, as long as you don't try to hard to compare it to the previous titles.

Thanks for the recommendation, but honestly it just doesn't sound appealing to me. The story and humour is one of the main reasons I play this series and so it being watered-down puts me off a bit, and while the gameplay doesn't sound terrible, the criticisms concerning the battle system (namely how standard encounters are almost pointless) and the tedium of the puzzles just isn't enough to get me interested. I'm kind of picky when it comes to games and tend to stick to what I'm familiar with to begin with, so a game that just sounds like it might be okay isn't really one I want to spend my time and money on. :/

Edit: What KillerDraco said. Heck, Super Paper Mario and The Thousand Year Door are both very different (for example, the former is a platformer with RPG elements, the latter is an RPG with platformer elements) but I highly enjoyed both because the writing and basic mechanics of both held up well on their own. On the flip side (heh), the criticism I've heard about Sticker Star had just convinced me that it's a lacklustre game; I don't care that it's different mechanically from the other Paper Marios (writing wise is a different story, and so it not being on the same level as those two is a deal breaker - and the other parts of the game simply don't appear to be good enough to make up for the story) if it can't interest me on its own.

Last edited:

KillerDraco

Well... I don't know if I'd agree 100% with that. While it certainly does look worse in comparison to the other titles, as a standalone game, it's still mechanically flawed. There's really no incentive to battle given it consumes stickers and has no reward beyond coins which, incidentally, are mainly used to replenish those stickers that you use up. So you could in fact skip every non-mandatory battle and still be no worse for wear given the number of stickers you can just randomly find. This is far from the game's only flaw as well, given the issues with story, linearity, and the arbitrary Thing Sticker system. But Sticker's Star's problems aren't because of comparisons to the other games; rather, those comparisons just make those problems seem worse by comparison.

fhqwhgads

Well... I don't know if I'd agree 100% with that. While it certainly does look worse in comparison to the other titles, as a standalone game, it's still mechanically flawed. There's really no incentive to battle given it consumes stickers and has no reward beyond coins which, incidentally, are mainly used to replenish those stickers that you use up. So you could in fact skip every non-mandatory battle and still be no worse for wear given the number of stickers you can just randomly find. This is far from the game's only flaw as well, given the issues with story, linearity, and the arbitrary Thing Sticker system. But Sticker's Star's problems aren't because of comparisons to the other games; rather, those comparisons just make those problems seem worse by comparison.
Yes. Battles used up stickers and usually spit out two, three coins? You could SELL the stickers for more than that and not take any health damage from the battle. It's not even worth it to learn the timing for guarding since you don't have to fight anyone besides the world boss and a few random...I don't want to say 'story' battles, but. Sticker Star literally punished you for playing it.

Houka

Sticker main issue was th3 gameplay, Enemies aren't that needed an I found nice spot to grinding money off of Shiny Goombas but other wise pointless. The bosses are near impossible without things and while I do like the more strategy involve, most of it relies on certain things that take at leas half of the bosses health off. I can forgive the story for it be rushed but I don't have problem any where else.

Color Slash look like it it might refine a lot of these weak spots of SS but We'll see how we that hold up in time.

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
RIP paper mario. If we wanted more sticker star we would of asked. Add paint, some stupid paint bucket with eyes and a bunch of generic toad's and you get this >.>

R_N

I will never understand why they keep doing just plain old toads. Maybe with a few toads that have a slightly different outfit.
It's just so boring. There's not even different sized toads. It's just Toads.

Like, fine, whatever, you don't want original characters (because....) or for it to be a real rpg (because...................) but there's no reason to make the only things you interact with bog standard Toads. No one complained about all the toads in the other games because they had a bunch of variation to them (& punny names, as you do). AND they don't even use the actual distinct toads we already have. Where's Toadette, captain toad, the toad brigade, toadsworth and so on?

Cutty

Forever now
I loved Sticker Star. But Color Splash won't be for 3DS, will it?

It'll flop then.

Cradily17

I've played both the original PM and TTYD, and while they're both fun games, I prefer the first one because it's more nostalgic to me and it's not as much of a hastle to replay as TTYD since TTYD just has waaay too much backtracking. Seriously. What were they thinking with forcing the player to watch Frankie say "I love you!" 100 times and the whole General White ordeal?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I loved Sticker Star. But Color Splash won't be for 3DS, will it?

It'll flop then.

Just like Smash Bros for Wii U, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, and Mario Maker have all flopped? Being on the Wii U doesn't automatically mean it will fail.

fhqwhgads