• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Paper Mario Discussion Thread (Origami King and Others)

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here
Cradily17 said:
TTYD just has waaay too much backtracking. Seriously. What were they thinking with forcing the player to watch Frankie say "I love you!" 100 times and the whole General White ordeal?
I always read those as parody, and I think they got the job done.

Anyway, RIP Paper Mario. You will be missed. The whole series destroyed, completely buried.

Cutty

Forever now
Just like Smash Bros for Wii U, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, and Mario Maker have all flopped? Being on the Wii U doesn't automatically mean it will fail.

Those you mentioned are good n got many positive feedbacks. While Colour Splash here.. Well I was basically teasing since I don't own Wii U and interested to get it so lose one buyer xD

KillerDraco

Regardless, I'd settle for having Nintendo put Thousand Year Door on the eShop. They did put Super Paper Mario up recently, so only TYD is left. Of course, given they haven't put any Gamecube games on the eShop (if you get into semantics about the Metroid Prime Trilogy I will smack you with a fish), and the rate that they put games on the eShop in general, I'm not holding my breath for TYD being on the eShop anytime in the near future.

But who knows? Never hurts to dream.

fhqwhgads

Regardless, I'd settle for having Nintendo put Thousand Year Door on the eShop. They did put Super Paper Mario up recently, so only TYD is left. Of course, given they haven't put any Gamecube games on the eShop (if you get into semantics about the Metroid Prime Trilogy I will smack you with a fish), and the rate that they put games on the eShop in general, I'm not holding my breath for TYD being on the eShop anytime in the near future.

But who knows? Never hurts to dream.
Been waiting on Gamecube VC since what, 2014? I'll call it dead as well. But then immediately hope for it on NX regardless of news. Sigh.

Ascended Dialga

Hmm...According to a GameXplain interview with Color Splash assistant producer Risa Tabata, they might consider remastering an earlier PM game like The Thousand-Year Door in HD if fans are vocal enough. It's between 8:40 and 9:00: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlcNubU6bYA

Now that I think about it, an HD remaster of Super Paper Mario would also be pretty interesting to see. Here are some changes I think they should include:

- HD graphics, obviously.
- Analog stick control to allow for easier movement when flipped in 3D. No more accidentally bumping into a Mr. I as you try to run circles around it.
- Allow the player to change characters or Pixls quickly and with relative ease. No more pausing the game every 5 seconds.
- Allow the player to scan things with Tippi via touching them on the Gamepad's touchscreen.
- Assign the button for Bowser's fire breath and Luigi's spring jump to something other than down and give those two characters the ability to duck.
- DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE BEEPING SOUND THAT LOOPS OVER AND OVER WHEN YOU'RE LOW ON HP!!! Maybe have it beep five times, go silent for 15 seconds, beep five more times, then repeat.

However, this probably won't happen anytime soon seeing as SPM was recently put up on the eShop.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Tangeh

I don't think Paper Mario needs to be an RPG to be what we want. Mario and Luigi are Mario RPGs. They clearly aren't what we want or we wouldn't be so disappointed, despite that lady saying that Mario and Luigi is the reason we can't have a Paper Mario RPG. Ultimately what the first three games had that SS didn't was that world-building (SPM to an admittedly lesser extent) and well-rounded characters, connected through a surprisingly deep storyline. I loved how each world had its own story to tell, and how it all came together at the end. It took the Mario world and brought it to life.

What worries me about color splash is that I can't see this world in the trailers. I see a map with dots like sticker star had. Still, I find it interesting that she says "yes, this time there will be a story... Sort of". Like, she recognizes that a story is what we want but doesn't follow through with it? Ok lady. Lol

Last edited:

Houka

She also said that there will be twist in the story while also saying the story is not a focus. OK, is there gonna be a some focus on the story or not?

We'll see in time I guess. I wouldn't mind a non-RPG Paper Mario but I know a lot of people do so yeah.

fhqwhgads

I don't think Paper Mario needs to be an RPG to be what we want. Mario and Luigi are Mario RPGs. They clearly aren't what we want or we wouldn't be so disappointed, despite that lady saying that Mario and Luigi is the reason we can't have a Paper Mario RPG. Ultimately what the first three games had that SS didn't was that world-building (SPM to an admittedly lesser extent) and well-rounded characters, connected through a surprisingly deep storyline. I loved how each world had its own story to tell, and how it all came together at the end. It took the Mario world and brought it to life.

What worries me about color splash is that I can't see this world in the trailers. I see a map with dots like sticker star had. Still, I find it interesting that she says "yes, this time there will be a story... Sort of". Like, she recognizes that a story is what we want but doesn't follow through with it? Ok lady. Lol
M&L issues stem from wobbly quality. Superstar Saga, Bowser's Inside Story, great entries. Partners in Time, less so. Paper Jam, I've heard extremes both ways.

Meanwhile, Paper Mario went very good, to pinnacle, to degrading changes. It's not that we want a good Mario RPG, there've been a couple since, but we wanted TTYD to be followed with respect, not...this.

R_N

Paper Jam is fine mechanically but a total nothing when it comes to aesthetics and story (though, incidentally, more story than sticker star).
It's like...less an RPG featuring mario and more Mario: The RPG if that makes sense.

which is hopefully because of the Paper Mario influence and not the direction the series will head.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
Again, from what I've played from both series and what I've heard...

I think Paper Mario's problem is related to the fact that it's experimenting a bit too much; I've seen this with a couple of other game series too. Like, Thousand Year Door was an upgrade to Paper Mario in some ways (such as the partner system getting an update), but since Super everything's gotten different in each instalment, and that means that rather than taking the strengths from the last one and fixing up the weaknesses, they've got to create a new system that they think will do both, and that's not been tried and tested so it's not guaranteed to work. Again, I liked Super Paper Mario - it was different, yeah, but whilst I have mixed feelings on the 3D gimmick, the platforming-RPG hybrid direction it took was still fun and the writing was very enjoyable (and the music is fantastic, probably my favourite of all the Mario RPGs in fact). But none of that even stuck, did it?

The one thing I can say that might be good about Colour Splash being similar to Sticker Star is that if they take notes from complaints about Sticker Star - the lack of memorable NPCs, the barebones plot, the battles being useless, the confusing puzzles - and fix them, then they'd be creating a new direction for the series that, while it wouldn't be the same as the original RPGs they were, would at least afford it an identity and allow it to grow in quality rather than the meandering it is now. Granted, I don't know if Colour Splash is actually doing those things...

Meanwhile, having only played Bowser's Inside Story and Dream Team Bros from the 'pure' M&L titles, I can tell you that I don't believe the Mario and Luigi series to have the same kind of problem. Yes, I found Dream Team in the end to just merely be 'okay' (I found that it was way too long to the point of feeling padded and tedious, the dream world and Luiginary works were a little boring and both the Giant battles and the new 'running away' mechanic in normal battles were annoying), but in the end it was still Mario and Luigi. The quirky new characters and humour were still there, the interactive RPG battle system was still there, the music was still there. So it was easier to simply hope that the next instalment would be better - all of the basic elements I liked were still present, after all, so it would be difficult to make something that wouldn't at least give me what I was expecting. Paper Mario fans don't seem to have that luxury any more.

Edit: As for Paper Jam? I echo R_N. It's got the Mario and Luigi gameplay so I can't fault it for its mechanics, but the writing seems to be the slightly weaker variant we got in Dream Team. I got to the desert level and just haven't been grabbed enough to go back to it yet. It's still an alright game, but there are far better ones in both series proper.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Has anyone seen this new footage?

Honestly, the game may not be perfect, but this footage really has me hopeful for the level design at least. It may still be levels on a map, but the levels themselves really feel more like an actual areas to explore, rather than just a linear level to beat.

Tangeh

Has anyone seen this new footage?

Honestly, the game may not be perfect, but this footage really has me hopeful for the level design at least. It may still be levels on a map, but the levels themselves really feel more like an actual areas to explore, rather than just a linear level to beat.

Reminds me of Merlee's Mansion from SPM. I know all of the Paper Mario games had a haunted mansion-esque level, but for SPM it always stuck out in my mind since it was its own contained little thing, and there weren't many other examples of that in SPM. Kind of like a break from the rest of the game.

Anyways, hopefully that clip is indicative of atmosphere. The battle examples were pretty pathetic though, lol.

Ascended Dialga

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Apparently, some fans are petitioning to cancel Color Splash's release. I knew the salt was real, but I had no idea that some people would go this far. Whatever happened to giving games a chance? http://www.nintendo-insider.com/2016/03/fans-petition-for-paper-mario-color-splash-cancellation/

13939296_319515195061007_7796959881025672293_n.jpg

That's so funny that you posted that image. I literally just replayed through Super Paper Mario and when I saw that part Color Splash was my first thought. It's almost as if they predicted events 10 years ahead of them.

And if there is one thing I have realized from replaying Super Paper Mario it's that when it comes to a Paper Mario game, it's not the challenge or the RPG elements that I play for, it's the wacky dialogue and scenarios, so I'm definitely not counting Color Splash out yet.

Jirachi100

Kirby Fan
I finally got to play the first Paper Mario! ....And then I got disappointed that there is no after game at all. I have to walk a long way back if I want to do anything I skipped. I still thought it was a great game.

Muddy120

Muddy Warrior
That's so funny that you posted that image. I literally just replayed through Super Paper Mario and when I saw that part Color Splash was my first thought. It's almost as if they predicted events 10 years ahead of them.

And if there is one thing I have realized from replaying Super Paper Mario it's that when it comes to a Paper Mario game, it's not the challenge or the RPG elements that I play for, it's the wacky dialogue and scenarios, so I'm definitely not counting Color Splash out yet.
That is funny to see and I just wanted to add in that Paper Mario is also great for the story elements as well of course but yeah the funny dialogue is a major fun factory of the Mario RPG series.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
That is funny to see and I just wanted to add in that Paper Mario is also great for the story elements as well of course but yeah the funny dialogue is a major fun factory of the Mario RPG series.

The story is great too, I just didn't mention it because we have no indication as of yet whether or not this game will have a good story.