• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Parenting Licence

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybermew

A la lune!
Parenting Licences:Should you need to apply for one

I would just like to state, these views are not fully mine, more views of British radio station Talk-Sport presenter, James Whale. However, I am warming to this idea.

There is a big problem with youth these days, gun crime, teenage pregnancys and children out on the street during extremely late hours (At least in Britain).

These problems dirive from one source, the parents, who seem to not care. They let there children stay up late, roam around on the street and even in some cases, smoke.

But think, and I do not know if this would be possible, if you could sterilise people at birth, and they can only have children, and only when, they have gone through several parenting classes, and even possibly applied for a licence to have children.

Now this is just an idea, and if you think it is terrible, do not blame me, I just think it makes sence, if it is terrible, just explain to me why.

Discuss.

Last edited:

The_Panda

恭喜發財
Administering any sort of parenting license would be costly and ineffective - the majority of parents, whether lazy or not, don't know what their children are up to and are completely oblivious to it. In most cases, children resorting to crime etc has little to do with the parents, but rather their circumstances. In addition, what are we going to do if someone has a child without a license? Let them keep and raise the child? That would defeat the point of the license. Take the child away from them? Over something like a license, that's just wrong.

We already have measures in place to protect children from neglect, in Australia administered by the DoCS (Department of Community Services).

Profesco

gone gently
It's probably unlikely that all the problems come solely from the parents. And Panda has a point- it seems like a very trivial and problematic idea to spend money and time on. On the other hand, mandatory parenting classes, at least, does sound like a decent idea.

cybermew

A la lune!
In addition, what are we going to do if someone has a child without a license? Let them keep and raise the child? That would defeat the point of the license. Take the child away from them? Over something like a license, that's just wrong.

We already have measures in place to protect children from neglect, in Australia administered by the DoCS (Department of Community Services).

For the lisence, you would be sterilised until you have completed the classes, and then de-sterilised.

It is not so much for the neglect, as more them just letting the chilld do what they want.

For the lisence, you would be sterilised until you have completed the classes, and then de-sterilised..

Usually when a person is sterilized, it is considered permanent because it is hard to reverse the effects of sterilization, not to note the cost it would take to do this and the risks involved. What happened if the sterilization techniques were applied too well? The human species ceases to exist.

EDIT: Even with sterilization through pills, this would be a costly process.

Having a licensed parenting sounds like a controlling government, not something that democratic societies support.

Last edited:

Ethan

Banned
I wouldn't see much point in it given the sheer mass of people that are reproducing. The government would be in scrambles keeping track of people let alone registering them. In theory it sounds like a nice idea in reality it would fail to play out.

The_Panda

恭喜發財
For the lisence, you would be sterilised until you have completed the classes, and then de-sterilised.

Desterilisation is difficult and costly.

The actions of a very select few bad parents shouldn't force all people to be sterilised just because they haven't taken a class. Maybe it would be nice to insert some parenting classes in, maybe into a PDHPE programme at school. But giving out licenses and sterilising people is a sheer waste of money not to mention a huge restriction on personal liberties.

To even add to that, how on God's earth are examiners going to know who is a good and bad parent? Like driving, it's something you just cannot measure unless you've seen in practice.

Ethan

Banned
Desterilisation is difficult and costly.

The actions of a very select few bad parents shouldn't force all people to be sterilised just because they haven't taken a class. Maybe it would be nice to insert some parenting classes in, maybe into a PDHPE programme at school. But giving out licenses and sterilising people is a sheer waste of money not to mention a huge restriction on personal liberties.

To even add to that, how on God's earth are examiners going to know who is a good and bad parent? Like driving, it's something you just cannot measure unless you've seen in practice.

Building off of that don't we have classes similar to this in highschool? Like home economics for example? Instead of making it mandatory a very good idea would be making it a mandatory highschool course. But then already you learn in America(or at least in Minnesota) about domestic issues and general good parenting in health class. So I'm not sure. Just a proposal.

The_Panda

恭喜發財
Building off of that don't we have classes similar to this in highschool? Like home economics for example? Instead of making it mandatory a very good idea would be making it a mandatory highschool course. But then already you learn in America(or at least in Minnesota) about domestic issues and general good parenting in health class. So I'm not sure. Just a proposal.

I do remember doing *some* stuff in High School about parenting.

Like said, this would be great in an ideal world. But it's not, and it could never happen. Two, it would be impossible to define "bad parents" because a parent who gives mac and cheese for dinner every night could be considered a "bad parent."

That I think would be a bad idea. Taking a useless class like that could interfere with someone's schedule and everything. I'm not even taking Parent Ed. my senior year, a generally required class, just so I can do all the classes I want.

Ethan

Banned
That I think would be a bad idea. Taking a useless class like that could interfere with someone's schedule and everything. I'm not even taking Parent Ed. my senior year, a generally required class, just so I can do all the classes I want.

Well right now chemistry is interfering with my schedule and I would like to take AP euro but I'm still required to take the class.

EDIT: Or perhaps it could be a weekly thing? Highschool scedules are usually flexible. General programs prommoting healthy lyfestyles need to be more enforced in the school systems aside from pure academia. We should fight for that to be so.

Last edited:

The_Panda

恭喜發財
When I did it we had a mandatory "PDHPE" programme, where we learn about relationships, basics of being healthy, dealing with social issues etc. A little bit of stuff on parenting was included.

Profesco

gone gently
That required high school course is sounding better and better. Of course, being a parent is one of the most important things humans do. It's a great idea to make sure people have all the education and skills before they do it. Not only that, but it'd maybe help control the teenage pregnancy rate. Either that, or help these young parents handle it!

Spock

Live Long & Prosper
This is one of the most absurd ideas I have ever heard of. What happens if the person gets knocked up without it? Will we just abort the kid? Toss 'em in an overfed and unkept adoption center?

Do you think animals (or Klingons) license people for reproduction? No. They aforementioned may be able to take better care of their offspring, but honestly, only a communist leadership would dictate who can and can't have kids.

Arcanine Royale

There would be little use in a parenting course because you may be able to teach it, but students will not be able to do it... Simulations are possible, but that would leave out numerous variables. If two people were put together as a parent pair and give a 10 year old kid to manage, it would be entirely different from having a kid through all stages - beginning in conception or birth (to keep all sides happy :).) There would be a lot less emotional factor.

Besides this, it doesn't matter because being a poor parent isn't illegal. Underage drinking, underage smoking, violating curfew, minors having sex, et. al ARE illegal, however. But, there are police and rules for that. We I.D., etc.

There may be problems with parents but licensing is one of the worst ways to handle it because of its sheer cost compared to its effectiveness... It would maul the federal budget.

Eszett

one love
Absolutely not. Whatever happened to the notion of a small government and the determination of the people?

Parenting is a right and a responsibility that should be accorded to the finest and sexiest citizens in our society. To deny the ability for men and women alike to copy half of their genetic information apiece and clump it into a watery sack with someone else's DNA is a transgression of epic proportions to free society, free love, and Darwin's doctrines. Overpopulation be accursed - Darwin can solve that with his mutating microbes - everyone on this planet who can get with a lady or a man should be allowed to be a parent, and every man and woman who can get to a sperm bank should be allowed to be a biological parent. Curtailing these freedoms in the slightest to anyone but the most flagrant of vagrants would be tantamount to the government taking on the role of God.

...you know, though, that marriage was intended by prehistoric societies to govern the matter of parenting, among other things. Good thing their systems have lived to this very day! They could teach some divorce-happy Abrahamites how to work things.

Status
Not open for further replies.