• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Parents in the world of Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meowth City

Staff member
In every Pokemon game, the main character starts their journey from stratch - getting our first Pokemon from the regional professor and going out into the world as early as ten years old. And I was wondering after viewing different areas of the forums, what are the roles of parents in the game and anime? Here are some starting points:

1. What are you thoughts on Ghetsis as a father?
2. What are your thoughts on Bianca's father?
3. Who is the best and worst mother/father in Pokemon?
4. Who is your favourite and least favourite mother/father?

NOTE: YOU MAY BRING UP YOUR OWN QUESTIONS AND POINTS ABOUT POKEMON PARENTS - NO MATTER HOW RANDOM IT MAY BE.
DON'T FEEL OBLIGATED TO STICK TO THE ORIGINAL POST - THESE QUESTIONS ARE JUST FOR STARTING A DISCUSSION.

Last edited:

Zibdas

not bad
1. Why do most trainers especially the game protagonists (and Ash in the anime) have no father presence? Nosepass killed them all.
2. What are your thoughts on Bianca's father? He needs a life.
3. Are there any happily married couple and parents in Pokemon? Um...Mhttp://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Young_Couple_(Trainer_class)No.
4. (From the anime discussion threads) Why didn't Delia wake Ash up when he oversleeps in the first episode? What are you thoughts on the mothers and fathers in the anime? Cuz Dalia is so boss, time doesn't apply.
That, or Mr. Mime was in the bed again.
5. AND the two big questions: Who is the best and worst mother/father in Pokemon? Who is your favourite and least favourite mother/father? They all suck.

Moneyy

INACTIVE
1. Ash is a bast*rd. No offense Ash.

2. Bianca's father thinks Bianca can't handle Pokemon enough to be safe on her own in the world. At least that's what I'm guessing. (Only played B/W in Japanese)

3. Yes. I think I have seen many NPCs like this. Also I think this is Brock's parents in the
anime.

4. Maybe she was busy doing something else? Fathers and mothers seem like retards in Pokemon.

5. Best: Norman. He pushes your character to defeat him and become a better trainer.
Worst: Your mom in basically all of the games (maybe not in B/W). They don't seem to spend a lot of time with you, and they seem to care only a little about their only child.

1. Why do most trainers especially the game protagonists (and Ash in the anime) have no father presence? --- With the exception of RSE where Norman is your character's father.
--Diverse, dead, Japanese too sexist or lazy to think of a father.
-- to me hes the only parent who cares about his daughter, I mean, did anyone even go to school? No one will accomplish anything, society will crash...
3. Are there any happily married couple and parents in Pokemon? If so, why do you think so.
--There are defiantly happy couples
4. (From the anime discussion threads) Why didn't Delia wake Ash up when he oversleeps in the first episode? What are you thoughts on the mothers and fathers in the anime?
--If he's gunna go on a journey on his own, he can at least wake up on time.
5. AND the two big questions: Who is the best and worst mother/father in Pokemon? Who is your favourite and least favourite mother/father? --- These can be ANY character that has been revealed to be a parent (e.g. Palmer, Oak, Birch, Norman, and even unnamed characters such as your mother and your rival's mother)
--Hahaha I like your medieval spelling (favourite). I don't like any of them...

Trainmaster718

ORAS is here!
Ash's father is presumably out training on his own adventure, if you look into a remark made by his mother in the first episode.
1. Why do most trainers especially the game protagonists (and Ash in the anime) have no father presence? --- With the exception of RSE where Norman is your character's father.
Tradition, most likely.
Seems like an attempt by GameFreak to answer a few questions that people have been wondering about ("Why do parents just allow their 10 year old children to travel the world alone?")
3. Are there any happily married couple and parents in Pokemon? If so, why do you think so.
There are. I think so because they can be found all across every region in every generation...
4. (From the anime discussion threads) Why didn't Delia wake Ash up when he oversleeps in the first episode? What are you thoughts on the mothers and fathers in the anime?
Holy crap, your right! This is the piece of the puzzle that we've been missing this whole time! This must be relevant to everything!
5. AND the two big questions: Who is the best and worst mother/father in Pokemon? Who is your favourite and least favourite mother/father?
I think the protagonist's mother from G/S/C/HG/SS is pretty caring, as she sends him/her useful items often, and offers to store some of his/her money.
The worst might be Giovanni, but who knows for sure?

Last edited:

Ansem1013

4768-7457-8661
1. Dad's are stereotypically not as important as mothers? I dunno. Majority of the dads (of main characters) I've seen in the games have been important trainers of some sort, so if they're not home I think it's safe to assume they also want to be the very best like no one ever was.

2. Bianca's dad is overprotective imo, but that's only cause I've been brainwashed into thinking it's okay for minors to leave home with animals and go cause havoc across "regions" that basically act as countries.

Seems like an attempt by GameFreak to answer a few questions that people have been wondering about ("Why do parents just allow their 10 year old children to travel the world alone?")
I was under the impression that Bianca and her friends were like 15. Still too young, but at least they aren't 10. That's how I saw it anyway.

3. Aren't Lenora and her hubby happily married? Don't think they have kids, but whatever. I'd assume Norman and his wife have a good relationship too. He's away often, but at least he tries to see his family when he can.

4. Maybe she wanted to let a growing boy get his rest?

5. The mom from GSC is my favorite mom. I actually like the bank system she sets up for you. The gifts suck, but it's the thought that counts :)
I'll go with Professor Juniper's dad as the best father. He raised a kid that actually grew into a functioning adult. AMAZING.
Giovanni is the worst dad, I'll agree with the OP on that.
RBY and BW have the worst mom's. They do the least imo

Last edited:

arbiter7x

Brock Obama
1. There was a war in Kanto (and presumably other regions too), so severe that NATO military presence was called in (American military base in Vermilion), and your father and your rival's parents were killed in the war, leaving you with your mom and your rival with his grandfather (taken from the all mighty internet). Though apparently there wasn't a war in Hoenn as Norman and family chose to move there, probably in search for a peaceful life.

2. His dad is a normal perfectly person, I mean would YOUR dad let the 16 year old you wander around a post-war country with evil gangs running around without a care for the nonexistent justice system?

3. Prof Birch and Mrs Birch, nuff said

4. She's watching soap operas on TV and forgot the time, DEFINITELY!

5. The GSC mom with her bank, but I would say that the DPPt mom and the BW mom are better developed characters as they actually have a distinct recognizable personality and a history about their past career and such.

The best father should be the grammatically confused Rocket Grunt from the nugget bridge in GSC/HGSS, as he returned to Unova pledging himself to rebuild Team Rocket, but ultimately sacrificed his lifelong dream and ambition to give more time and love to his family.

Giovanni is not a bad father, he cares for his son, but it was just that his situation was unfortunate and that his son had a personality problem which caused him to hate his father. I think the worse

Last edited:

TheUltimateReshiram

1. Why do most trainers especially the game protagonists (and Ash in the anime) have no father presence? Because Its Become A Legendary Pokemon
2. What are your thoughts on Bianca's father?Need A Lesson
3. Are there any happily married couple and parents in Pokemon? No
5. AND the two big questions: Who is the best and worst mother/father in Pokemon? Who is your favourite and least favourite mother/father? --- These can be ANY character that has been revealed to be a parent (e.g. Palmer, Oak, Birch, Norman, and even unnamed characters such as your mother and your rival's mother).

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Bianca's father was probably brought from the real world via Distortion World to the PokÈarth.

1. Why do most trainers especially the game protagonists (and Ash in the anime) have no father presence? Nosepass killed them all.
2. What are your thoughts on Bianca's father? He needs a life.
3. Are there any happily married couple and parents in Pokemon? Um...http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Young_Couple_(Trainer_class)No.
4. (From the anime discussion threads) Why didn't Delia wake Ash up when he oversleeps in the first episode? What are you thoughts on the mothers and fathers in the anime? Cuz Dalia is so boss, time doesn't apply.
That, or Mr. Mime was in the bed again.
5. AND the two big questions: Who is the best and worst mother/father in Pokemon? Who is your favourite and least favourite mother/father? They all suck.

This about sums up this whole thread.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It

That's a good question, I'm not sure. Barry has a good father too though.

I don't have any.

Of course, let's see: 1st gen, only a mom. 2nd gen, only a mom. 3rd gen, two parents, but Norman seems to spend all his time at the gym and not home with his wife. 4th gen, only a mom. And 5th gen, not sure. I'm gonna have to go with no on this one, and if there are, then where are they?

Maybe she overslept too.

5. AND the two big questions: Who is the best and worst mother/father in Pokemon? Who is your favourite and least favourite mother/father? --- These can be ANY character that has been revealed to be a parent (e.g. Palmer, Oak, Birch, Norman, and even unnamed characters such as your mother and your rival's mother).

Favorite: I would have to go with Byron. I don't think anyone above has mentioned him, but the relationship they show with him and his son Roark is pretty interesting.
Least Favorite: Personally the mom in 2nd gen bugs me because she always wastes my money on things I don't want.
Best: Maybe Norman because he seems supportive, but also doesn't spoon-feed you. Basically, he's well balanced (like his badge)
Worst: Maybe Giovanni or Madame Boss (Giovanni's mom). It seems that whole family is messed up.

Last edited:

LyreBirdGirl

inactive
I've always thought that the creator of pokemon (sorry for forgetting his name) didn't have a good father figure around. My dad and I have always tried to guess who Ash's dad was in the TV show. We settled on some drama with Giovanni being Ash's father in some twisted way.
Abusive. Like I said, maybe the creator's father was bad to him, abusive, or never present. (This just makes me wonder about the RSE games though.)
I thought you occasionally battled married couples. I may be wrong about that, though.
They are pretty irresponsible. Like the Police force.
Best- (Not sure if this counts, he's a grandfather) Oak.
Worst- DPP mother. She was so stupid!

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
Because the trainers father is.... A Pokemon!

ColorsofTheRainbow

Live. Love. Ho-Oh.
Don't forget about the happily married Daycare couple ^-^

Wild Dragonite

Ralts Evo Tree Fan

1. I thought they were always somewhere else. It makes sense to me; a giant city like Castelia would be far enough away from the hometown to make it a little impractical to walk all that way, through wild grass.
2. I think he's selfish, like he said after Elesa talked to him. I like the doesn't want his little girl to grow up deal.
3. Uh, yes. The Young Couples of RSE say "hai." Wait, they're not married? Oh... yes. Old couple say hi. They actually say "Dear Husband/Dear Wife" depending on who you talk to after you beat them.
4. Because Delia knew Ash would wind up with all of Oak's starters anyway, so she wanted him to get a Pikachu. ;025; I can't comment on the moms and dads in the anime.
Best Mother: RSE Mom. Running shoes, amulet coin, and pretty cool.
Best Father: Norman. Great guy, nice to Wally, nice to you, blahblahblah.
Worst Mother: GSC mom. Gives you your Pokegear- which was broken, so it's not like it was new or anything, and steals your money. Woohoo.
Worst Father: I'm gonna say

Ghetsis. He says right before you battle him that N isn't worthy of the Harmonia name, which indicates that he's a dad. O_O
because... well... he's just not a nice guy! His signature Pokemon (highest leveled) shouldn't be evolved at that point! HAX.

Last edited:

Silverwindstudios

The Midnight Artist~
Parents in the world of pokemon... there only purpose is to take 10% of however much money you make from beating up people, to "keep it safe" and then they go and spend it themselves...

Its a game they probably didnt feel there was a point most of the time to add a Dad. What so he could save your money for you too? oh yay! 2 of your parents are stealing and spending money you earned. =P

As for Bianca's Dad. he is being the most caring parent! at least he realizes how dangerous a pokemon Journey is and is a little reserved in sending his young 10-15 yr old daughter out to fend for herself. he is the best parent out of all of them in my opinion. the worst Parent is a tie between Giovanni and Ghetsis

Rey Alejandro

GOKAI CHANGE!
1: Save for Norman, there isn't much mechanical need for a father in game. Unless they want to give him an actual part in the games, they probably don't want to throw him in at all. Also, despite daytime and nighttime, as well as seasons happening, the games don't really seem to have a timeframe, so maybe he's away on like, a business trip or something.

2: He probably just cares about his daughter. I mean, it seems to me that she's a bit pampered, and her dad probably thought that he was doing what's best.

3: Yes, there are. People are people, the existence of pokemon in that world doesn't take away their emotions. The pokemon can't replace human interaction.

4: Eh, she was probably busy packing for him and forgot. And the parents in the anime are all varied, it depends on the pair.

5: Well, my favorite Mother is probably the Johto one, because she actually is willing to help her son beyond just resting his pokemon. I don't have a least favorite mother, because they're all pretty similar.
My favorite father is probably Palmer, because he had to have done something right for Pearl to want to emulate him like that. Also, he has a reason for being absent, unlike any other. My least favorite father is probably Ghetsis. I mean, come on. Look at him. prick.

Status
Not open for further replies.