• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Party Dancecapades (908)

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
The evolution would have been a surprise to me if I hadn't spoiled it earlier but it was a very touching moment which tends to be a recurring theme in Serena's story.

Did anyone else think the dance party guests were a bit sparse? There were about 20 people for a room that big. Too little notice if you ask me :p . The party itself was very enjoyable, touching moments between Ash and Serena, Serena being funny and James was funny too in the double battle. Speaking of the double battle, it was alright. It was nice to see Cotton Spore being used effectively as we don't see it all that often and of course it led to Eevee's evolution.

I can't wait to see Sylveon in action on the showcase stage! Good episode, onto the next one!

DatsRight

Meowth only really laid serious damage once - an episode in DP where he used the move "Fury swipes of love" to take out Ash's Infernape and Staraptor. And that was because he was infatuated by a Glameow. Other than that he rarely battles and on most of the occasions he does he ends up loosing easily e.g. against Tyson's Meowth. Since part of the skill of battling is to be able to interrupt or outmanoeuvre an opponent I'd argue the ability of Ash and friends to consistently do that demonstrates a major strength difference between them.

He also defeated a Persian, decimated a large amount of Team Plasma's squad and fainted Barry's Empoleon (a steel type), all with just a single Fury Swipes. Even some he loses aren't complete curb stomps all the time (the one time he hit Pikachu with an attack it blatantly done a lot of damage, and he even tanked Fennekin's attacks by just Fury Swiping them to bits once). Meowth can be powerful in battle, but only when he gets his head in gear and focuses on how to use it, which is rare.

Tyson's Meowth seems a rather unfair example since the whole premise of that one was that he was stronger, suaver and just all around better than Team Rocket's Meowth.

Certainly Team Rocket are not being portrayed as being as incompetent as they were in generations prior to 5, so it's not unrealistic Inkay beat Mantric. The point I raised was that Inkay has nothing on Pikachu even if it can beat other Pokémon. Inkay may have a couple of times gained a slight upper hand when battling against either Pikachu or one of Ash's other Pokémon, often due to Team Rocket using underhanded tactics but in all situations their plans and strategy usually fail mainly due to the fact that Ash's Pokémon are stronger.

Like you said though, manoeuvres also play into it for Ash's Pokemon. And you also forget the number of times Ash's team broke the rules in order to stop Team Rocket, using more than the same amount of Pokemon or personally intervening themselves (not that I'd complain about them 'cheating', they look stupider when they try to play by the rules against villains trying to attack them). Even at that there's plenty of times the Trio still had them on the ropes until plot armour saved them with an evolution or the POTD intervening.

I could make the argument that not only could neither side 'cheat' in this situation, but James was playing with someone with a more effective team strategy than what Jessie usually offers which made the difference and nerfed the heroes' ability to just dodge and out agile them. With that it became a case of raw power, which Inkay could better match.

I could make the same argument for say Wobbuffet, who is constantly blasted off by Pikachu, but anytime he's ordered to battle properly against him, he can tank nearly everything Pikachu throws at him.

Tackle is still a relatively weak move even if it's been used decisively in the anime before. If it were psybeam the amount of damage taken might have been more understandable but one tackle on Pikachu brining the battle to the point of it being hopeless for Ash and Serena but for Eevee evolving. That's a big stretch to the point of being plot amour to get Eevee to evolve dramatically.

Except Psybeam was the move used when they were trapped in Cotton Spore. When Inkay used Tackle, the damage was already done.

Yes plot armour is involved sadly, it's involved in the anime all the time. Even straight afterwards it's involved by Sylveon instantly healing all it's injuries and being completely unstoppable upon evolution (my best guess is, like Noivern, it won't be nearly as strong in it's next battle). But hey, plot armour FOR Team Rocket instead of against them is at least a change.

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
So I finally watched the dub of this. I felt so sorry for James, I bet he was wishing the thing would end the entire time. And of course Jessie was doing all the work in the dance. lol

And it's still hilarious the song ends right as it is Serena's turn with Ash. The evolution is the only thing I didn't like, it's not supposed to be a bond that is Umbreon/Espeon it is supposed to know a Fairy move too. And of course the evolution happened out of plot convenience.
9/10

ACEtrainer.Cedric..117

I couldn't stop laughing at this ep ! it's hilarious poor serena got her dream date taken away and when the chance came,well,lost it
evee evolving into sylveon i liked that part with all the inspiration and everything. man i can't stop laughing!

Pikachu52

I could make the same argument for say Wobbuffet, who is constantly blasted off by Pikachu, but anytime he's ordered to battle properly against him, he can tank nearly everything Pikachu throws at him

In most of the times Team Rocket have had Ash on the ropes it's usually due to their machinery rather than their Pokémon. Wobbufett is only powerful because of it's counter and Mirror Coat moves. Without those it's a weak Pokémon. For most of the series particularly after it's debut in Johto, it couldn't defect Pikachu's electric moves.

Except Psybeam was the move used when they were trapped in Cotton Spore. When Inkay used Tackle, the damage was already done.

Even so, it was one single hit from a Pokémon that gets limited training. In previous generations, particularly Hoenn and Johto Team Rocket's attacks have generally been ineffective, easily dogged and reposted by a more powerful move. A hard hit maybe but it's a stretch to believe Pikachu could have been dealt enough damage for Miette to believe they were close to winning but for Eevee's evolution considering Pikachu had landed both Quick attack and Iron tail and Eevee swift without similar results. Pikachu down for way too long too - lying on the ground with his eyes closed while Eevee produced another swift.

Last edited:

DatsRight

It was established since the first episode of XY that Wobbuffet was far more powerful, any time he bothered to Counter Pikachu's attacks, the latter couldn't touch him. In the first episode of the series he nearly turned Pikachu and Froakie into roadkill.

I still tend to find the recurring problem for TR is that not that their attacks are weak but that the heroes can easily dodge or counter them. Sure they might not be AS powerful as the heroes but it's still possible to seriously harm them, just like any lower attack level Pokemon can still deal a lot of damage to higher attack level Pokemon under the right circumstance. When they actually succeed in landing a hit it usually does a lot of damage, thus Inkay dealing a heavy blow to the two when they were trapped and unable to evade his attacks made sense.

Inkay isn't THAT big a slouch anyway. He evaded and defeated the Evil Malamar, after they rather easily neutralised the twerps.

Last edited:

Pikachu52

It was established since the first episode of XY that Wobbuffet was far more powerful, any time he bothered to Counter Pikachu's attacks, the latter couldn't touch him. In the first episode of the series he nearly turned Pikachu and Froakie into roadkill.

Wobbuffet is only powerful if he's able to counter the opponents move. The patient Pokémon never attacks first and is incapable of using an offensive move. That strategy has it's limits - In AG harley got around Wobbuffets counter simply by using an non-attacking move, string shot. Similarly in the Johto and Hoenn sagas there was a limit to Wobbuffets ability to counter. In his debut he countered Chikorita but couldn't stop Pikachu's thunderbolt. He wasn't able to counter Butch's Primape or Rico's Tyranitar. The sudden ability to turn Pikachu and Froakie into roadkill is unique to XY, which is odd given that for a series prior to this he was at TR HQ and presumably not being trained.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Really enjoyed this episode. Its nice to see a light heart episode now and again, and Serena was insanely funny.

James' mopey attitude felt unnerving, honestly; definitely fell out of character. But at least Jessie performed quite the opposite.

Miette's VA felt a little flat in delivery, but she totally triggered Serena when asking Ash to be her date.

Serena and Eevee's moment was very touching, even felt the tears starting to come out. But that moment, with the battle, felt like the stakes could have been higher. Sylveon looks and sounds pretty though~

I enjoy having Aria around, especially when she's focused on centering around Serena's development.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Nice that they're continuing to show Eevee's bond with Bunnelby. Though, I really kind of wish Serena would have instantly suggested to have Eevee partner with Bunnelby rather than Ash and Clemont having to suggest it first. Though it was funny how nervous Clemont was about being Serena's date.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Watching the dance party shenanigans was amusing, and even though the evolution of Serena's Eievui into Nymphia was meant to be the highlight, I enjoyed Millefeui's return even more, as well as watching her dance with Kojirou.

It was fun and kind of Aria when she graciously gave Ash dancing advice. As for Serena's Eevee evolving into Sylveon, I knew it would happen sooner or later. This episode was entirely worth the watch just due to Serena's reactions to Ash at the dance, I found them to be pretty funny. Also James dancing awkwardly with Serena was cute.

Leonhart

Imagineer
In all honesty, given how much we had been exposed to Nymphia as a species thus far during the XY era, I couldn't help but feel frustrated that we now had a Nymphia in the main cast.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
In all honesty, given how much we had been exposed to Nymphia as a species thus far during the XY era, I couldn't help but feel frustrated that we now had a Nymphia in the main cast.
Yeah, they should give Serena a Z-ring & Eievui Z instead, and having Llima another Pokemon in SM, having a Gen 7 gimmick in XY(Z).

DatsRight

It'd maybe be more frustrating if Serena's wasn't demoted immediately after she evolved into one. What a way to promote. :p

Bye bye funny and endearing Eevee, hello bland glorified extra Sylveon.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I personally didn't mind too much about Serena's Eevee evolving into Sylveon and yeah I did expect a lot from her because Sylveon is one of my favourite Pokémon. I just didn't like that her character was almost flawless, which left little room for her development.

DatsRight

I personally didn't mind too much about Serena's Eevee evolving into Sylveon and yeah I did expect a lot from her because Sylveon is one of my favourite Pokémon. I just didn't like that her character was almost flawless, which left little room for her development.

Yeah, it's a shame Sylveon lost most of her nervous shy disposition upon evolving, likely why she ended up demoted since there wasn't much potential for funny interactions with her anymore.

It actually sucks how many Kalos Pokemon had fun personalities up until they evolved. Froakie, Fletchling, Eevee, Noibat to some degree. I think Goodra and Gourgeist were the only ones to avoid the curse and still remain characters.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Yeah, it's a shame Sylveon lost most of her nervous shy disposition upon evolving, likely why she ended up demoted since there wasn't much potential for funny interactions with her anymore.
Where it changed drastically was when she as an Eevee was seen running in circles with a Furret instead of doing so with the usual Bunnelby. You know that Eevee used to be shy of strangers, right? And obviously that Furret would be a complete stranger to Eevee that she would normally run away from.

DatsRight

Where it changed drastically was when she as an Eevee was seen running in circles with a Furret instead of doing so with the usual Bunnelby. You know that Eevee used to be shy of strangers, right? And obviously that Furret would be a complete stranger to Eevee that she would normally run away from.

I think they could have had Eevee overcoming her shyness while still maintaining SOME of her jittery disposition. Character development isn't the same as abolishing all your foibles.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I think they could have had Eevee overcoming her shyness while still maintaining SOME of her jittery disposition. Character development isn't the same as abolishing all your foibles.
I've never said that Eevee completely getting over her jitters meant character development but I meant that after her evolution she was so perfect that she could theoretically not gain further development. But yeah it would have been better if she still shakes a bit every time she meets a new Pokémon or character.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Mega Altaria said:

Nymphia did come across as yet another faultless Eievui evolution, which is a common theme in the anime. The writers tend to portray the whole Eievui line as more powerful and untouchable than they should be because of marketability reasons.