• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Paths of Time

mysterious~fossil~HP~10

Can a hero of the past save the future from itself?

Theophan Heimdall, a 9 year-old boy afflicted with blindness, is given a second chance at sight through his telepathic connection to the mysterious Gastly "Hyxa".
But helplessly witnessing the violent capture of Mew sets them out on a journey through Kanto and across Time to free an innocent, challenge the villianous and change the path of history by one single life.

Notes:

1. If the changes in time are confusing, allow me to explain. The "past" as it is shown in the webcomic is approximately our 1880's, 1890's, and it's about a hundred years before the present era in the Pokemon world, which is Red's/Ash's time. The "future" as it is shown is roughly forty or more years after Red's/Ash's journeys.

Comics:

Prologue p.1
Prologue p.2
Prologue p.3
Prologue p.4

Chapter 1: In The Beginning...
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7
Page 8
Page 9*
Page 10
Page 11
Page 12
Page 13
Page 14
Page 15
Page 16
Page 17
Page 18
Page 20
*the first line should read "Um, Um Theo?"

Last edited:

mysterious~fossil~HP~10

Okay, this had a rough start but there's more to come (by the way, the plot doesn't really start until around ch. 1 p.10-12.). However, there are a few things I'd like to add to encourage your participation here:

1. Any background characters you see you can name.
Just tell us where they are and what you want to call them, but if we have a few possibilities we'll put it to a vote. One thing I've got to say though, keep with the spirit of the story, please. Name them something you'd want to keep writing every time you post as if they were the main characters; name them something that will blind others with your awesomeness and creativity!

2. Inventing a Mythology.
This is an epic (It doesn't seem that way yet but wait.), so we need a mythology to make it real. And no, I don't consider the "official" mythology (the background stories of the legendaries) to be worth anything; so let your imaginations runs! For this, I'm asking you to PM those entries, because the plot surrounds itself around several legends (Travel through time and space, the Torn World, etc.) and this way nothing is revealed too soon...

3. Chapter Cover Art!
Brilliant ideas for chapter page designs wilt and die whenever I attempt them, so to spare good ideas a horrible end, I'm opening this up to any and all prospective artists! The submissions will be posted or linked here along with any comments the creators would like to add for explanation.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated, just PM with your new idea. And all suggestions will be credited to their proposer.

Last edited:

mysterious~fossil~HP~10

Thanks for the compliment, much appreciated.

Most of the coloring is done in Prismacolor pencils and India Ink, but the solid backgrounds and black panel seperations (when laziness conquered the drive for artistic perfection) are computer edited with MS Paint. I found I couldn't create the gradations of color I wanted with the computer, so for all the wonders of technology, this is almost entirely hand-drawn.

*~Aipom Star~*

5 Years Time~
Wow, awesome drawing and colouring.
The only thing is that its quite hard to tell what's going on. Its not clear enough. I know you obviously wanna limit the speech to show off the great drawing, but maybe add a smidge more, so we know what's happening?
And maybe some character bios, so we know who they all are.

Neko

Wow, all of this is drawn on paper, that's just amazing. I use 100% digital tools myself, but this also has a very nice feel to it. Let's see, what else...

I agree with Aipom Star that the comic could use a little bit more dialogue to explain what's going one. In some cases, this just isn't very clear. And sometimes you seem to make jumps in time or something. For instance, the transition from pages 5-7 seems a little jumpy. You may want to keep an eye on that in the future.

Other than that I think this comic has great potential. It's well drawn, has an interesting story-line and is (as far as I can see in this early stage) quite original. I hope to be seeing more of this. :D

Also, if you're serious about keeping this comic up, you may want to consider uploading it to a free comic host for easy viewing. Good hosts are Smackjeeves and Druckduck. :)

mysterious~fossil~HP~10

Character list

Bios already? Wow, I wasn't expecting demands for that so soon. Alright, I can explain the characters briefly while I create a bio page.

Characters in order of their appearance

Hyxaloranxaiquielikand
Hyxa is the curious Gastly featured in the prologue. She happily haunts a dilapidated stone fortress perched on the steep cliffs of Kanto's Eastern seacoast. But why can't she see her reflection...?
Joba- 11 years, Ky- 11 and Ado- 16 years
Panel 4, p. 1, chapter 1. Ky and Ado are just two brothers out for fun, even if fun means tormenting a blind boy. Joba is a spoiled brat with an affinity for bullying everybody else to keep her at the pinnacle of popularity.
Theophan Heimdall-9 years old
Theo, the little boy in blue and our protagonist, first appears on p.1 of chapter 1. Theo was blinded by an epidemic that took the lives of of all the other babies born in the same year, yet spared him. These circumstances led the local villagers to believe he was cursed.
Source of the name= Theo; from the spanish word creo, or I believe. Theophan; from Theophanes, the name of 2 Patriarchs of Constantinople.
Corrin Heimdall- 5 years old
Cor (the little boy in the red tunic) debuts on p.3 of chapter 1. He's a little boy with a short attention span, penchant for dissembling and poor judgment; but he's sincere in his admiration for his ill-fated older brother. His rapid healing is an unnatural quality, to say the least...
Source of the name= Corrin; taken from Corin Thunderfist Prince of Archenland (The Chronicles of Narnia: The Horse and His Boy)
Ben Jon Heimdall
Ben Jon first appears on p. 4 of chapter 1. Ben Jon is a Caucasian immigrant coal miner married to Adena and the father of Theo and Cor. His tolerant disposition, something he shares with his children, leaves him the victim of many abuses.
Adena
Adena (panel 2, p. 5 of chapter 1) is the mother of Theo and Cor, and the spouse of Ben Jon Heimdall. She's a strict but caring person looking out for her mischievous sons. Theo's supposed "curse" often leads his proud and independent mother into direct conflict with her own tribe's beliefs and superstitions, causing friction with the community.
Mew (panel 1, p.11 of chapter 1 ) is a free-spirited creature of amazing power hunted by a mysterious enemy.
Sidaka
Sandifer Montiane
Kanazuchi-sama Ayume

Last edited:

VyeBrante

Ah, so Theo is the main character. That's interesting . . .

Rouenne

Looking for Someone
Nice work on the backgrounds

VyeBrante

Awww . . . poor Mew. The mysterious explosion and cracking thing are a nice touch. And Mew looks cute. Nicely done!

mysterious~fossil~HP~10

The Castle's Phantom

The castle depicted here is based on a real Irish castle; Beagh Castle on the banks of the Shannon river estuary in Western Ireland (Munster), which is my dad's homeland.

The real castle is only two-stories and is made of a tan limestone. It still has a complete spiral stair, which means if you're really crazy you can still climb to the second floor, just be sure to stop before you encounter the gaping hole in the floor at the top of the stair. By desperately clinging to the wall on the left you can negotiate around the hole into into the upper room (which also has a sizable hole in the floor). There is an extremely rare partial roof (according to Irish tax law, anything on your property with a roof was subject to taxation, so most farmers destroyed the roofs of the the unused buildings on their land. This policy sent many abandoned buildings that could've been restored later into complete ruination.) and a collapsed wall that affords a stunning view of an Irish landscape, complete with a herd of lowing cows in the field next door.
Getting up to the second floor was the easy part, the difficulty is getting down...

Last edited:

mysterious~fossil~HP~10

Artist block shattered after more than a month... it's amazing. The root of the problem was how to convey visually a very abstract situation. In other words, how do I show the fact that a boy that has been blind for more than 8 years can "see" his brother rescued by Mew? The best solution I found was to suggest it through the text, so does it work?

Theo's Miracle

mysterious~fossil~HP~10

Artist block shattered after more than a month... it's amazing. The root of the problem was how to convey visually a very abstract situation. In other words, how do I show the fact that a boy that has been blind for more than 8 years can "see" his brother rescued by Mew? The best solution I found was to suggest it through the text, so does it work?

Theo's Miracle

mysterious~fossil~HP~10

Hello again and a most blessed feastday of St. Patrick to you all*!

After another interminable wait (which I am trying to shorten considerably, but that will come with experiance), page 15 meets the Net.

Artistically, I experimented here and can't complain about the results.
I've been reading the english translation of the manga DeathNote, and I borrowed [the artist] Takeshi Obata's technique for conveying thoughts to use in the third panel.

The Spectro-vision image of Cor at the top of the page has got to be one of the most fun things I've ever drawn; for some reason it just seems like it would be a cool way to see the world and Hyxa's lucky enough to have it.

What? You thought ghosts would only see in the visible light spectrum like us? Preposterous!

15 (link repaired)
The Miracle Manifests

*No that is not why Cor is green.

Last edited:

VyeBrante

It won't let me see this new one. It's just a white screen.

So . . . can the blind kid suddenly see now or . . .?