• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pathways: The Story of a Boy Whose Path Is Planed Out (Rated PG)

The Oncoming Storm

I went to jared
Pathways: The Story of a Boy Whose Path Is Planed Out
By: Volt Trainer

Prologue:

“Reuniclus use Calm Mind” instructed Daniel, as his lips began to curl into a smug grin. Immediately the semi-translucent green almost bear-like pokemon began to chant.

“Reun reun reun,” the floating pokemon took on a slightly purple hue as it continued to chant. Daniels opponent grinned devilishly already devising a strategy that made this stat boosting move ineffective.

“Uh-uh Daniel. We can go physical if we have to. Alomomola use Double Slap on that Reuniclus!” Clarissa roared while her eyes burned with fiery determination. The pink heart shaped fish swam through the pool with a speed unfitting of its looks. As Alomomola reached a sufficient speed she leapt out of the water, and she started hammering the chanting pokémon with her hand shaped fins.

“Alo alo alomomola!” cried the usually caring pokemon.

“Reuniclus,” Uttered the psychic type, as it took the full force of the powerful physical attack.

“Reuniclus! You can do it use Thunder!” Commanded the shaggy haired doctor. As the powerful multiplying pokémon lifted and aimed its three pronged hand, the defenseless water type tried to escape to the depths of the pool that was the battlefield. The tactic didn’t work however as Reuniclus launched the boosted Thunder attack and electrified the entire pool.

“No!” Shrieked Clarissa, as her eyes widened with terror at what would become of her beloved pokémon. Alomomola floated to the top of the pool obviously knocked out.

“Daniel is the victor and the new pokémon physician for the Pokemon League,” announced the official referee. Clarissa bent down and gave her tired pokemon a sitrus berry thanking her for battling so hard.

“Congratulations Daniel you deserve it. Just know next year I’m coming for you,” she jokingly teased her fiancé.

As the embraced Daniel whispered in her ear, “ We both deserved it.”

“Well it seems as if we will have a new doctor to take care of the pokemon at the league this year,” their grey haired mentor told them. “Good thing too. What with all the new influx of challengers now that the airports been completed. I haven’t had a vacation since that infernal place opened,” added the irritable doctor.

“Sir I was actually wondering if we could um…,” inquired Daniel as he fidgeted with his collar. A nervous tick that he had been afflicted with since he was a young boy.

“Spit it out!” retorted their mentor. ” You know how I hate it when your not strait forward.”

“Well sir we want to know if we couldworktogether, ” Clarissa replied quickly basically saying the last few words in one breath.

“What was that? Work together eh?” The old man asked with one eyebrow raised. Both quickly nodded too scared to speak aloud. Immediately a large smile spread across the wizened mans face as he retorted with, “Yes! What a wonderful idea. With both of you working there we wouldn’t have to have the extra challengers stay in the Opelucid pokécenter. Which I’m sure Alison will be glad to hear.”

“Thank you!” They both said happily. “We can both stay together and do what we love to do,” Daniel started. “We can help the pokemon of the best trainers in the world.”

“Yeah,” reinforced his bride to be. “Helping challengers pokemon after they win or lose their battles. Oh I’ve been waiting for this day since we started school fourteen years ago,” she added.

“Well I guess it’s time to show you around your new workplaces,” said their mentor, as he lead them towards the building they’d been battling near.

“Return Reuniclus,” Daniel ordered his faithful partner while he held out his pokéball. The pokémon was hit with a slim red beam of light, and turned into pure energy that was then sucked back into the ball. Clarissa repeated the process with her Alomomola.

“Oh honey I’m so excited I have everything I could ever want. I have a loving fiancé, my dream job, and my trusted pokemon. All we need now is a family and we’ll be truly happy.” At this she could have sworn she seen a flicker of doubt on his face. He might not know it yet but she did, he would be a wonderful father to their future child.

That is the prologue. I know it is a bit short but it sets up the story the way I want it to and I couldn’t find anything else I could have added. Please review and do so honestly. I know my grammar probably has mistakes. I’ve never had good grammar. I’m also looking for someone who might beta read for me. If interested just pm me

Last edited:

The Oncoming Storm

I went to jared
Chapter 1: The Egg Came First

I awoke to my Xtransceiver blaring on the nightstand beside me. I knew who it was, Paul was way too overeager to get to school. My hand slid across the night stand trying to find my present for being accepted into Unova Med. At last my hand clenched on the device making the horrendous noise.

“Yeah Paul?” I inquired while brushing the distracting shaggy brown hair out of my eyes.

“Are you awake yet?” He asked giddy with anticipation. I could imagine him now black t-shirt tucked in to his khaki shorts, blonde hair spiked even though it was three inches long, and his face speckled with freckles.

“No. I answer calls and have intelligent discussions in my sleep. Didn’t you know?” I replied with a sarcastic grin.

“Stuff it Anthony. Hurry up and come outside I’m waiting,” he said with a slight irritation in his voice.

I grabbed my glasses, slipped them on, and peered out of my window. There
was Paul leaning against the giant oak outside of my house. I looked away and began to pack. After packing my bag full of the equipment I’d need for school paper, pencils, a change of clothes, and my most prized possessions ten premier balls. The red striped white balls had cost me all my savings but I knew I wouldn’t keep my pokemon in any but the best looking.

Oh starter pokémon I couldn’t wait to get mine. Both of my parents know how we receive our starters but they refused to tell me. In fact my parents know everything about Unova med considering they received their degrees there. Then soon after worked at the pokémon league, though we live in Striaton city now, and they work at the local pokécenter.

While exiting my room I passed by the mirror on my dresser. Stopping I took in what I looked like before my adventure. My messy brown hair still tousled from rolling in my sleep, my plastic blue glasses resting on the bridge of my nose, and my deep hazel eyes matching my fathers.

Quickly I dashed down the stairs eager to leave before my parents could give me the speech again.

“Anthony, son get over here and come talk to us before you leave.” I heard my father say with an authoritative voice. As I turned around and headed toward the kitchen, I knew I was about to get another speech about how I was destined to be the best pokémon physician ever.

“So, son are you ready to start school?” My father asked with a smile, as I entered the yellow room that was our kitchen. As I sat down he added “Eat. It’ll be good for you to eat a full meal before your first day.”

“Alright dad,” I answered grabbing the cereal and milk to make my breakfast.

“Oh honey I’m so excited for you!” My aged mother said as she placed a glass of juice next to me and sat beside my father. They had both aged faster then most parents given the stress of their jobs. In the last fifteen years since I was born their hair had started to grey and their skin had wrinkled with parental worry.

“Now son, your going to be looked at to be the best student there. No ones gonna cut you any slack,” my father said as he reiterated his point. “ Also they’re are gonna push you till you break, so don’t give up!”

“Okay dad.”

“But have fun okay Anthony. Meet new friends and enjoy your time in school,” my mother interrupted trying to keep me optimistic. Truth is they couldn’t make me optimistic. I didn’t want to be a pokémon doctor but how could I tell them that.

“Alright I gotta go. Paul is outside waiting and you know how impatient he is.” I said as I got up and headed for the door. “Love you!” I announced as I took my first steps out the door and into the freedom of my first adventure.

“Took you long enough. What happened in there eh?” Paul asked.

“Oh just the speech you know. Now lets hurry and get to the school,” I said pushing him along the path towards Accumula.

As we walked down the forest path to Accumula in silent anticipation, I wondered what was going to happen when we got there. I didn’t want to be a doctor but I did want my first pokémon.

As we got closer to Accumula I remembered what my parents used to tell me about it’s history. Apparently it used to be a small town but had somehow boomed into a very busy place for the trainers of Unova. When we reached the edge of the town we saw the towering, all glass building with a huge sign saying Unova Med.

“We’re finally here! Aren’t you excited Anthony?” Paul asked with an enthusiastic grin.

“Meh, I just want to get my starter.”

“You know Anthony you should be more excited. You have the best lineage out of anybody here. Your grandmother was the famed Juniper after all,” he commented.

“Dude listen, I don’t want to be a doctor. You know this Paul. Just stop trying to convince me okay,” I said tired of this conversation. He dropped the topic and we walked into the pristine lobby of the school. As we passed older students, teachers, and other staff going about their daily routine, we arrived at the Student services counter.

“How may I help you?” Asked a rather large women in all white behind the counter.

“We need our class schedule and dorm assignments,” Paul and I answered simultaneously.

“ Here take this and go to the first class on the right down that hall. You’ll receive your starters. Your dorm is number eleven. You’ll be sharing it with two others,” she informed as she handed us a slip of paper that was our schedule.

“Was it just me or did she smile at the word starter back there?” I asked Paul.

“I don’t think so, but hey you never know. We still don’t know anything about how we get our starter.”

“Yeah okay,” I said as we entered the class and were directed to the first seat in the miniature amphitheater type room. Our teacher quickly directed us to two seats in the front of the class.

“ Now that we have everyone in attendance let’s begin,” the professor started. “Here at Unova med we will teach you the Intricacies of pokemon health care. And under this curtain,” he added gesturing to a curtain covering something on his desk. “ Are you starter pokemon!” At this he removed the curtain revealing a plastic container full of what looked like…

“Eggs!” I yelled. “Where are our starters!?”

This is the end of the first chapter. Please leave reviews telling me what you think. I am also still looking for someone to Beta read for me. Thanx.

Shinymonkey8

Pretty good work on this.

I spotted 5 or six typos, be sure to watch out for those. The first chapter is also lacking in any kind of serious development, which as of right now, is acceptable, because it's the first chapter, but don't forget to add some in as you progress along with the story. Characterization is always important.

Besides that, there wasn't much bad with these chapters. You are good at writing battles--you seem to be very descriptive. Try to leak that descriptiveness over to your dialogue sections. It helps the flow of the story and it betters your imagery. A good imagery section is always fun to read. Maybe throw some similes in there?

Keep working on this! It will turn out great if you keep it up!

chanseychansey77

Elite Trainer
Pretty good, but you need to use more commas when people are speaking. Otherwise, it's a run-on sentence, and no one wants that. I also agree with what Shinymonkey says about your dialogue. Do all that, sprinkle an interesting plot over it and it will be great!

The Oncoming Storm

I went to jared
Thank you for your reviews. I will work on the description in dialouge. I will also work on the commas. I am planning on expanding the plot a lot more in the next fwe chapters. Thank you again for your reviews.

The Oncoming Storm

I went to jared
Chapter 2: My Own Choice!

I had some writers block and basically the whole vision for my story changed YET AGAIN! Still loking for someone to check my grammar and such so if you are interested pm me. Thanks to all those who review this.

Chapter 2: My Own Choice!

After my outburst, and a very dirty look, the professor continued to explain what the eggs were. Apparently they are our first test in the school. We need to hatch them and whatever pokémon comes from the eggs will be our starters. Cleverly the professor had painted them all a very dark black color to keep us from discovering what pokémon each egg contained.

Everyone in the class lined up to pick which egg they wanted. Paul being the praise seeker that he is got in line first, and picked out the largest egg available. I was at the end of the line behind a girl with long flowing red hair. She picked out the bigger of the two eggs left, and turned around. That was when I saw her face, she had deep blue eyes, dimpled cheeks, and a smile that made me happy just to see.

“ Hey,” I offered as a measly salutation.

“ Hello,” she responded walking back to her desk.

I returned my attention to the item I had been waiting my whole life for. There was only one egg left and it was smaller then the rest. I lifted the surprisingly dense egg and felt a strange feeling course through me. I only felt it for a moment briefer then that of a heart beat but I was sure that it had happened.

Once I had found my way back to my seat the professor continue instructing us in the wonderful art of taking care of pokémon eggs. We were told that the eggs had already matured quite a bit in the incubator, and that all we really needed to do was walk around with it let it feel the motion of our steps, and the heat of our bodies.

The final occurrences in class were that we received our pokédex and group assignments. Unfortunately this year there were a hefty majority of boys who lived in the same town and had grouped together leaving only me, Paul, and as I was soon to learn the wonderful girls name Annabeth. Also it turned out since they had gotten so many male students Paul was stuck using a bright pink pokédex.

“Hello. My name is Annabeth. What’s yours?” Annabeth asked of me and Paul as we walked out of the class and towards the dorms.

“Well my name is Anthony, and this unfortunate fellow over here is Paul,” I answered grabbing Paul, trying to cheer him up about the pokédex situation.

“Oh well it is nice to meet both of you,” she replied. Then added, “It really is unfortunate that your stuck with a pink pokédex Paul. I’m sorry.”

Paul looked up and smiled, “Oh it’s okay. Once this egg of mine hatches first nobody will care what color my pokédex is,” he remarked gesturing to the slightly wiggling egg in his backpack.

“Well it does look like it is already close to hatching. I mean look at it. It won’t stop wiggling,” Annabeth replied with a smile that let Paul know that she was genuine.

“Yeah Annabeth here is right. The Way that things dancing it’ll be hatched before dinners done,” I added as we came to the split in the hall that divided the dorms between boys and girls.

“ Thanks for cheering me up. I got a feeling that this year is gonna be a good one.”

“Don’t mention it Paul. The way I see it is we are going to have to get along this year and the best way to do that is to be friends!” She announced with excitement in her eyes. “Well I am going to go to my room and unpack before dinner see you there,” she called as she walked towards her room.

“Bye!” Paul and I responded with equal enthusiasm. I may not want to be a pokémon doctor but I do want to learn more about her. I thought to myself.

Paul and I reached our dorm room a few minutes later and started to unpack our things. I decided to leave most of my things in my bag because for some odd reason I felt like I wouldn’t be here very long.

“Hey Paul you ready to go down for dinner?” I inquired, my stomach growling like a starved Persian.

“Sure! But hey don’t forget to bring your egg with you,” He answered nodding at the egg perched on my nightstand. We headed towards the dining hall eggs in tow. When we arrived we saw that Annabeth was already sitting down patting her egg with one hand and eating with the other.

“Hey, Annabeth!” I called headed towards the table she had occupied.

“You can call me Anna you know?” She mentioned as Paul and I sat down.

“Oh okay. I didn’t know if you would be okay with that,” I responded filling my plate with the food that was on the table. Paul sat next to me not even going after the platters of food. He just sat there and rocked his egg in his arms.

“Yeah its fine,” Anna reiterated, interrupting my thoughts on if the egg might actually hatch for him or not. “ By the way where is your egg?”

“Oh its in my bag. I’m gonna bring it out after dinner,” I replied. “ So are you excited to be a pokémon doctor Anna?”

“Yes and no,” She answered her lips taking a downward turn. “ What I really want to do is go out and explore the world and see lots of pokémon,” she added with a gleam of longing in her eyes.

“Anthony really doesn’t want to be here either. He wants to be a normal pokemon trainer,” Paul mentioned speaking for the first time tonight.

“Is that true?” Anna asked as she leaned forward expecting an interesting answer.

“Well I don’t want to be a pokémon doctor if that’s what your asking,” I replied. “ I don’t really know what I want to do,” I added lamely.

“Well I agree with you on the doctor thing Anthony. I’d rather be out there battling and exploring the wonders of the pokémon world. Not stuck in some old hospital,” she explained.

I was about to reply when the strangest thing happened, Paul’s egg started glowing. Paul quickly put it down, and stared at it eyes wide, mouth agape. The bright light began to take shape. The light morphed into a pink rabbit like creature that stood on two legs. It had pink body with a beige belly and legs. It’s ears were bell shaped with little spiral circles protruding from the lobes, and it’s tail resembled a rabbits tail exactly .

“Aud aud audino!” It cried gazing intently at Paul. Paul quickly pulled out his pokédex.

“Audino, the hearing pokémon,” Paul’s pokédex informed. “ Audino’s auditory sense is astounding. It has a radar like ability to understand its surroundings through slight sounds.”

“Whoa,” dribbled out of Paul’s mouth as he stepped towards his first ever pokémon. “I have an Audino,” he finally managed to say.

“Hahaha it matches his pokédex,” said someone from the crowd that had gathered. Others began snickering and commenting on the fact that a boys pokémon and pokédex were pink.

Paul immediately pulled out a pokéball and had his pokémon enter it. He then turned and fled towards our dorm, me and Anna followed quickly. Anna and I arrived in the room to see Paul on the bed sitting next to his newly hatched Audino and smiling.

“Oh Paul we thought you left because you were embarrassed about having an Audino,” I said as Anna and I entered the room.

“No I left so that Audino wouldn’t have her feelings hurt by those comments from the crowd,” Paul explained as he continued to inspect his starter pokémon. “ I don’t care what they say. Audino is my pokemon. I hatched her from an egg myself, and I love her already,” he said with authority.

“Good for you man,” I stated. All I could think about when my egg would hatch, and I could have a pokémon to bond with. “ I wonder when mine and Anna’s will hatch.”

I didn’t have to wait very long to find out. Anna’s egg hatched the very next day. We were all listening to the professor explain why Paul had been successful in hatching his egg so fast, and then Anna’s egg started glowing.

The egg morphed into a small black and white humanoid figure with a purple face. The small pokémon also had three ribbonlike feelers located on it’s head. Anna’s pokédex announced that it was Gothita the fixation pokémon. It also informed us that Gothita intently observe both trainers and pokémon, apparently they are looking at something only they can see. Anna was extremely happy with this turn of events, and I was only more antsy for the day when my pokémon would hatch.

Over the next few days the rest of the classes eggs hatched into pokémon like Sewaddle, Alomomola, and Munna. On the fourth day the day of triumph had finally occurred.

All of my group was sitting in mine and Paul’s dorm. I was rubbing my egg with a warm cloth when it started to glow brightly. Immediately my heart lodged itself in my throat and I stared at the ever changing glowing egg.

It slowly started to round out. After the light faded a green glob of a pokémon was floating in front of me. The lighter green mass in the center of the pokémon held its diamond shaped mouth and black round eyes. It also had what appeared to be a swirl of an antenna growing out of the center mass.

I knew exactly what this pokémon was. It was a Solosis. From the moment I looked into those super intelligent eyes I knew I wasn’t going to be a doctor. I was going to be a Champion.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Man, if I were Paul, I would have accepted the pink pokedex without hesitation. Way cooler than that boring red one.

However, I think you may have had all the eggs hatch too early. We hardly got to hear about any of the pokemon's reactions when they hatched, or their trainer's reactions. The only good part with sufficient description was Paul's egg hatching. Everyone's eggs hatching should have been like that. And maybe you could have had some of the eggs hatch later, so there's more anticipation and suspense involved in the story? You may as well have just given the starter pokemon straight to the trainers from the start.

If you want a userbar, just let me know which pokemon you want on it, what colors you want (up to two), and what text you want on it. Text can't be too long, since it has to fit on the userbar along with the sprites.

The Oncoming Storm

I went to jared
I really wanted to make the end of this chapter be when the eggs hatched. I was also trying to get things done without enormous amounts of dialougue which is one of my worse writting qualities.

I do have better description in the next chapter! IT has a battle and those are my favorite parts. Thanks for reviewing. And thank you to those who might review in the future.

The Oncoming Storm

I went to jared
Im not gonna be able to write anymore of this story. I might come back to it, but asd of now i must discontinue you it due to the loss of my internet connection.