• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pathways to Peformance Partnering! (853)

XXD17

Draco rex
What really made the episode for me was that farfetch'd! The poor thing really didn't want to be traded away lol...

DaDonYordel

The Gazing Eye
Bloody hilarious episode. It was so obviously a gag-focused episode but they'd just put Serena's training there a bit, which I would say they did remarkably well. The writers are hiding her entire routine for her inevitable TriPokalon debut. In the end, this episode was a gag-focused one through-and-through.

From the various Pokemon's reactions and interactions, like Farfetched nearly getting NTR'd via trade, using its leek as a dowsing stick thing, to getting the short end of the stick by barely having any screen time this episode, to the human character's themselves, with TR's actions like Meowth dancing while everyone is talking, Jessie easily getting tired as well as her lewd outfits, and even James' reaction to Chespin and Pancham's infighting. We also have Ash commenting the absurd nature of the fighting and the inevitability of it all (it can't be helped).

Object gags are there as well. We have the classic exploding invention, which was plain funny actually as the Chespin robot tried dancing with Pancham, but also the delayed explosion effect courtesy of Clemont approaching TR's cube smoke cube, and Farfetch'd's stick representing its broken spirit. The sound direction was great, and when I say this, I am referring to near the end of the episode where the music slows down as Chespin and Pancham started fighting again.

I also found if funny that Ash apologized to Nene even after Serena and Clemont already apologized. Heh, guess there's a damn good reason why the group is referred to as Satoshi-tachi. As well as Ash giving Nene pointers and advice regarding her routine.

Definitely one of the more superior episodes as of late in terms of enjoyment.

K.N.

I didn't really care much for this episode in isolation. I didn't really feel like I saw enough of Nene's character to get a feel for it, although I find it funny so many people are concerned about her character design, but at least people can be honest about how they don't want to see ugly people on TV I guess. They cut away from Serena's practice probably because they want to save it for the actual Tripokalon, so can't comment on that much yet. I never cared much for contests either, but what I did like was when they would give us some spectacles- I think the most memorable was the sandstorm leer. That, and the character interactions.

I liked that Team Rocket felt like they had more of a personality in this episode, or at least they were trying, especially with Jessie. I hope they continue bringing back their character traits because my problem with TRio is never really so much that they're formulaic (that's the whole show), it's that they're boring/not funny while taking up time.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
They cut away from Serena's practice probably because they want to save it for the actual Tripokalon, so can't comment on that much yet. I never cared much for contests either, but what I did like was when they would give us some spectacles- I think the most memorable was the sandstorm leer. That, and the character interactions..

Oddly enough the appeals were always the least interesting part of the Contest episodes, it was the battles and character interaction that made them good. Its odd how similar Serena's performance resemble a Contest appeal.

Janovy

Banned
Eh, personally I always preferred the appeals - battles are something we see regularly anyway.

Definitely not a good episode, but not as a bad as, say, XY043 was.

Quick Observations:
- I thought Nene's design was terribad. I knew what to expect, but, it just wasn't good.
- I think Serena was giving Nene advice, but what has Serena really done so far.
- Chespin and Pancham tension wasn't necessary, but I thought it was handled well.
- Chespin wants to perform now too? Maybe? I hope not.
- The Pokemon Company and writers of the show still hate farfetch'd
- What exactly is Tripokalon/performing? We've been teased with Pokevision, synchronized dancing, and now an exact replica of the contest appeals round. I've readied myself for disappointment two months ago or whenever they introduced performing.
- Team Rocket *sigh* bad as usual, maybe worse than normal
- The Chespin/Pancham combos were epic, before trainers stepped in.
- Unfunny gags are gag-worthy; I'm surprised I didn't see a "science is so amazing!!"
- I at least thought the soundtrack was good.

Afrodisiac

break up w yo gf, im bored
The only reason people liked contests was for the rigged battles where the bars go down arbitrarily depending on what the plot wants.

*DIES* So true.

I loved this episode though, it was very entertaining overall, Nene & her Pokémon are hilarious and Pancham was also great in this ep.

K.N.

What makes me like the battle portion of the contests is that it works better from a narrative perspective. We get to see the Coordinators face off head-to-head. While the bars going down was every bit as nonsensical as how they're evaluated in appeals, it gives a more direct way of seeing characters face off. Either round was all faux-artsy fartsy crap, although that one time Jessie won by yanking Chimecho's tail I found to be a funny jab at that very line of thought.

I think Serena was giving Nene advice, but what has Serena really done so far.

She was probably seeking general advice in terms of whether people found it entertaining, which doesn't really require a professional eye or anything. It isn't like battles where there's a pretty objective measure of when someone has lost.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
- I think Serena was giving Nene advice, but what has Serena really done so far.

Actually, Nene asked the group how her performance was like and they gave their opinion. Similarly, Nene also gave her opinion on Serena's performance which lead to the Pancham and Smoochum performance and then the talk about the trade.

- Farfetch'd was the real star of the episode, it's face when Nene suggested the trade was priceless.
"Master Card" styled 'Priceless'.

[IMG139]http://s10.postimg.org/ds1m4oh15/Far_Shocked.gif[/IMG139] [IMG139]http://s18.postimg.org/4kdsfele1/Far_Relief.gif[/IMG139]
(finally was able to make a good 'gif')

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
speechless about this episode, i don't think there's anything i want to mention prior to the title itself

there wean't even a crowd in this episode, you call that ash & co a crowd? -

though the pancham and fennekin are correct since they ddi perform in the episode, but the crowd is a no no to me

DoctorDark

I was impressed with the episode. Pancham and Chespin have a funny dynamic. That and they are actually quite badass when free-style comboing moves together.
Great animation work during the battle.

Hidden highlight of show: Farfetch'd Faces. He did more funny faces and showed more personality in his 3-4 minutes of show time than some of the pokemon owned by the main cast (Like bunnelby)

They weren't bad at all. This episode is an example of why TRio can still be good when written right. The problem is they're not written well more often than not.

The problem imo has more to do with the fact that the writers use the TRio as time-waster when they can't think of ideas to fill the episode. Seriously they don't NEED to come out every episode its getting obnoxious. I might not have like the Black and White season as much because i felt the animation was meh and the character designs were rather bland but they did ONE thing right. They stopped spamming Team rocket every damn episode.

Last edited:

nuzamaki90

From the little we got to here of the new song it was good to me, i just didn't like all of the old clips it showed

I agree. Clips from "Gets the Bun Bun" could have worked here, but alas

Seeing how the official site even mentions Ash getting a new rival, they could have put BrendanTreecko Boy in this opening.