1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Paul: Emotionless drone or a deluxe rival?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Grey Wind, May 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMerle

DMerle Guess who's back

It's annoying i feel like we're just going round in circles, me and other people will point out loads of instances of Paul changing then someone else will come on and be like "Pauls a dumb rival he never changed." I mean if you even read the last page even people who are criticising Paul are saying that he changed too quickly.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2012
  2. Pokemaniac24

Pokemaniac24 Banned

Sereb Devil, do you have ANYTHING good to say about DP? ANYTHING?

3. Lake Acuity was entertaining? ........yeah, Didn't think so.
    No thank you, I don't re-watch episodes.
    Lolwhat. When did I say anything about Barry.
    Interaction? They just said bye.
    He just gave a smug smile after beating Ash in the Monferno episode.
    He bows to the.......what. I see a lot of characters do that.
    Losing to a frontier brain shouldn't emotionally scar you.

You just said UR WRONG to everything I posted? Yeah, cool.

4. Alfred the Second

Alfred the Second Dracoflare

So yeah, your argument is pretty cool. You don't have a valid point and all you do is balantly contradict the points I raised, this isn't how a discussion should go.

5. AgentPierce

AgentPierce Mad science FTW!

Okay, I've been busy for awhile, but I've gotta comment on some of this stuff that I've missed.

Or, as I like to put it, "My big brother actually lost to one of the strongest trainers in the world? He's weak, WEAK I SAY! I cannot be like him, so I'll immediately start abusing my pokemon!" And I'm sorry, but that is a really lousy reason to act like a cold, ruthless jerk.

Silver from Pokemon Special never abused his pokemon at all. And Silver from the game, despite lack of detail, was better developed than Paul ever was in his four years on the show.

Because they're not examples of him slowly changing: they're forced moments of trying to make him look redeemable.

Same here. And though he was supposedly "redeemed" in the end, never once did Paul ever say he was sorry for this.

Unfortunately, so many people don't see it that way, so the discussion will go on...

I stopped reading right there. This is what every Paul fan likes to say: that this one-note, dull as dirt jerk rival character was the best thing to happen to the anime, that his rivalry with Ash over different training methods was the deepest, most fascinating thing ever seen in the show, and that he was Ash's ultimate adversary. None of this, I feel, is true. If it's your opinion, fine, but I simply do not have the time for Paul and people who worship him like this.

Again, if Paul honestly thought that his brother losing to one of the strongest trainers in the world was an impossibility, he was a dumbass. And even so, the loss and Brandon's words to Reggie alone should not have been enough to make Paul immedately turn into a cold, aloof pokemon abuser. Than again, Reggie did say he always had a cruel streak, so I could chalk it up to sociopathy.

Paul's appeal wore off for me by his second appearance in the show.

Isn't Lilytwo a she????

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  6. Mr. Ribbles

Mr. Ribbles Cubchoo Lover

What this guy said.

Paul is just an emotionless drone. Freakin Silver from g/s/c/hg/ss had more emotion.

7. sereb devil

sereb devil Banned

No there isn't anything in the middle of my user name. The thing is Paul didn't change at all during the DP series, he still remain the same jerkass trainer to his own pokemon, the writers didn't do a very good job with his character at all.
    The only good thing about DP is Ash getting his first dragon type pokemon, other then that it suck. Pokemaniac, don't forget people have a right to their own opinions.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  8. Faker500

Faker500 Trolls aren't funny!

I say yay. I liked Paul. I think it would have been cool to have him as a main character though. I mean I understand the rivalry being good but the group needed someone like him. I mean Ash had other rivals too. Some who didn't barely get attention. But all in all they did a good job with him. Even if though he sounds like a 30 year old on meth.

9. DMerle

DMerle Guess who's back

Or you didn't pay close enough attention..

10. LilyTwo

LilyTwo Well-Known Member

Or perhaps he did, after all.

11. LilyTwo

Too long, did not listen.

12. Josef Stylin

Josef Stylin I want to die

Ignorance isn't bliss in an argument.

Honestly, if you hate Paul, that's fine, I can respect your opinion. But you're just gonna refuse to listen to anyone who brings decent points that can support the opposition instead of telling why you disagree with them, why should we even be listening to your points?

13. What the hell does that have to do with anything. I'm not trying to look cool. I was simply stating what made Paul a bad character, and you, a Paul fan, started nitpicking.

Wat. That's what you did. If I recall, you're the one who replied to me.

14. DMerle

DMerle Guess who's back

No no no, it wasn't his loss, obviously Reggie had lost countless times before it was the fact that he gave up after battling, we saw from Reggie's collection of badges that he'd been a very strong and competent trainer and Paul was also young at the time and had just gotten his first Pokemon. He obviously would of looked up to Reggie a lot, and seeing not only his idol but his older brother lose and then just give up as a trainer completely is going to have an effect on him.

Nope. They're examples of him coming around to make a change you just don't choose to accept them as that.

Paul wasn't that sort of character, what did you expect him to do go and apologise to Infernape for launching a barrage of attacks at it to activate it's Blaze, when it had just won the battle through said Blaze being activated from Electivire's attacks and Paul's taunting?

This just in, more than on it as it develops.

The problem i have here is that everybody seems to take Paul down to his simplest form, I can choose absolutely anything and do that. Like when Paul watched his brother lose to Reggie obviously it's going to impact him as a kid when his brother is someone he looks up to but you just word it in such a way it doesn't look positive: "Oh my brother lost a battle so i'm going to go abuse Pokemon." When he didn't just lose he quit, and he didn't abuse Pokemon he overworked them and showed little empathy but by no means abused them. You can make anything look bad when you take it down to it's simplest form i could go up to an olympic athlete and be like "So ok what you do is basically run for a living?" I don't have a problem with people who don't like Paul that's your opinion and cool, we'll agree to disagree but when your going to consistently just twist things that happened with him, ignore any sort of development and stun it as "bad writing" then i don't even see why your continuing to post in this thread. No matter what anybody says you're not going to change your mind or even accept new information/opinions that are brought to the table, you are just going to continue to brush them to one side and say that it's inconsequential and blindly go on hating Paul.

15. Ash Ketchum!

Ash Ketchum! Pokemon Trainer

Paul sucks? What does Trip offer to his rivalry with Ash? Just saying "That's basic"?

16. sereb devil

sereb devil Banned

The thing that Trip offers to Ash is improving his skills a lot more as a Pokemon trainer. Paul never really offer anything new to Ash for their rivarly besides just being a jerk to him.

17. LilyTwo

Nope. They're examples of bad writing, the writers randomly changing him from one episode to the other so he wouldn't be punished for his cruelty.

So, in other words, you're saying that it's okay for Paul to abuse and mistreat Chimchar becaus, hey, it helped him get stronger? Your logic scares me.

Frankly, I saw nothing to Paul other than a bland, abusive jerk.

18. Heartlessangel17

Heartlessangel17 Dark Trainer

Paul was a tool, but he really drove Ash forward in the series. Lets face it, when Ash lost to Paul when they had that full 6 on 6 match, it was a turning point for Ash's character, and the fact that he used the exact same team to fight Paul in the Unova League, and won this time, when Paul was using a far superior team this time, well, it showed how far he pushed Ash as a rival. Yeah, he was a jerk wad, but he was a good opposite to Ash. Trip is...well, not.

19. Alfred the Second

Alfred the Second Dracoflare

This. This. This.

Paul is a jerk and I believe he has reasons to be one, although the so called "haters" don't want to accept the reasons, he drove Ash forward. He made Ash doubt his battle style, he was responsible for how Ash grew in DP. I never understand the people who say 'DP sucks', they don't provide strong arguments. When you compare with AG Ash really grew up as a character, although Pokemon is known for very less character development.

After Gary this was the first time I felt Ash grow as a character. Face it, without a rival the hero will never develop as much. Gary was awesome as a character but Paul was the one who 'pushed' Ash forward.

As for Trip,I don't think we should comment on him yet, that kid has potential, the writers will certainly show us the conflict between him and Ash. let's hope they don't mess with Trip.

20. I am Lu

I am Lu Well-Known Member

As an English major, I weep for humanity.

I have to disagree. Paul drove Ash to improve his skills, too. That loss to Paul at Lake Acuity really shook Ash up. Was Paul a douche? Yup. But he was integral in Ash's character development.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.