• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Paul: Emotionless drone or a deluxe rival?

Status
Not open for further replies.
you have a descriptive point there but remember toward the and where he smiled to ash.. shows some heart

Paul did smile but that doesn't mean he was redeeming his self from all of the abuse he did to Chimchar and other pokemon aswell.

Paul did smile but that doesn't mean he was redeeming his self from all of the abuse he did to Chimchar and other pokemon aswell.

He also thanked Electivire after he lost against Infernape so maybe that was to show that he might actually start to treat his Pokemon with respect.

I am Lu

Paul is not an amazing trainer are the greatest rival the show ever had, he was just an poor written rival that the writers thought they could just throw him in their and everybody would like him being very cruel ruthless , and coldhearted to his pokemon which didn't make his character be like by an whole lot of people.

I just have to point out, Paul wasn't written to be likeable. That doesn't mean he isn't a popular character though, because he is.

I just have to point out, Paul wasn't written to be likeable. That doesn't mean he isn't a popular character though, because he is.

Paul wasn't all that popular to begin with since his character was just poorly done by the writers.

He also thanked Electivire after he lost against Infernape so maybe that was to show that he might actually start to treat his Pokemon with respect.

He might have said thanks to Electivire after it had it's battle against Infernape but that doesn't mean he will change his ways are treat his pokemon more better with respect. That seems very much unlikely.

Paul wasn't all that popular to begin with since his character was just poorly done by the writers.

He might have said thanks to Electivire after it had it's battle against Infernape but that doesn't mean he will change his ways are treat his pokemon more better with respect. That seems very much unlikely.

Paul is very popular. He has a large fan base for sure.

And I would say him saying thank you to Electivire shows he maybe will change into a kinder person to his Pokemon.

Paul is very popular. He has a large fan base for sure.

And I would say him saying thank you to Electivire shows he maybe will change into a kinder person to his Pokemon.

Well i still don't believe Paul is all that popular. He does have a fan base but i don't think it will be all that big.

I don't think he did change into a kinder person for his pokemon which do seems most unlikely.

I am Lu

Well i still don't believe Paul is all that popular. He does have a fan base but i don't think it will be all that big.

I don't think he did change into a kinder person for his pokemon which do seems most unlikely.

Um... Just because you don't like Paul doesn't mean he isn't a popular character. He's popular both here and in Japan.

No, Paul didn't turn into a mushy, kind trainer. He'll likely continue using his strict methods and maintain his high expectations; however, his thanking Electivire does indicate a minor shift in his character.

Um... Just because you don't like Paul doesn't mean he isn't a popular character. He's popular both here and in Japan.

No, Paul didn't turn into a mushy, kind trainer. He'll likely continue using his strict methods and maintain his high expectations; however, his thanking Electivire does indicate a minor shift in his character.

That is your opinion about Paul being popular here and in Japan. You are acting like Paul was the greatest rival on the show which he really wasn't.

Josef Stylin

I want to dye
Except it isn't an opinion. It's a fact that he is popular among the pokemon fanbase, whether you like him or not. If someone thinks he was the best rival or not, that's an opinion.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Paul was without a doubt my favorite character in DP and possibly the entire series. I liked his Pokemon smarts, selection of Pokemon, and his cold attitude like how insulted Maylene (I still love ya Maylene) it was such a nice change of pace compared to Ash's usual meeting of Gym Leaders. He is without a doubt my personal favorite rival of the show but he is not without flaws. It's because I thought he was so awesome that the new rival Trip looks boring compared to him, and that is not Trip's fault. Paul set the bar to high which could end up hurting future rivals if the writers don't do something new. The writers also gave him basically every single powerhouse Sinnoh Pokemon minus two or three. This lead to many other rivals teams having to go back and get Hoenn, Johto, and Kanto and get leftovers. I still think it's a miracle Mamoswine and Gallade were contest Pokemon and not simply given to Paul's Sinnoh hogging team. And all the best writing and ideas went to Paul's rivalry instead of giving ideas for Barry, Conway, Zoey, or Nando. Which is why I think those rivals were okay but not as good as they could have been, heck Nando barely even counts. But other then those flaws Paul is awesome and the best rival the show ever made. It's just my opinion, not fact at all.

Paul was without a doubt my favorite character in DP and possibly the entire series. I liked his Pokemon smarts, selection of Pokemon, and his cold attitude like how insulted Maylene (I still love ya Maylene) it was such a nice change of pace compared to Ash's usual meeting of Gym Leaders. He is without a doubt my personal favorite rival of the show but he is not without flaws. It's because I thought he was so awesome that the new rival Trip looks boring compared to him, and that is not Trip's fault. Paul set the bar to high which could end up hurting future rivals if the writers don't do something new. The writers also gave him basically every single powerhouse Sinnoh Pokemon minus two or three. This lead to many other rivals teams having to go back and get Hoenn, Johto, and Kanto and get leftovers. I still think it's a miracle Mamoswine and Gallade were contest Pokemon and not simply given to Paul's Sinnoh hogging team. And all the best writing and ideas went to Paul's rivalry instead of giving ideas for Barry, Conway, Zoey, or Nando. Which is why I think those rivals were okay but not as good as they could have been, heck Nando barely even counts. But other then those flaws Paul is awesome and the best rival the show ever made. It's just my opinion, not fact at all.

Trip is more interesting because he is a breath of fresh air then Paul ever really was. Paul never set the bar high on anything at all, besides him being jerky which didn't really help his character that much, the writers could had made him a more better rival but they fail to do that.

Except it isn't an opinion. It's a fact that he is popular among the pokemon fanbase, whether you like him or not. If someone thinks he was the best rival or not, that's an opinion.

It is not a fact that Paul is popular among the fanbase, since it is only opinions not facts. People are entitle to their own opinions don't forget that.

DMerle

Guess who's back
Trip is more interesting because he is a breath of fresh air then Paul ever really was. Paul never set the bar high on anything at all, besides him being jerky which didn't really help his character that much, the writers could had made him a more better rival but they fail to do that.

Are you actually serious? 90% of topics on Trip people will moan about him trying to copy Paul. I don't understand how Paul wasn't a breath of fresh air? We'd never seen anyone like him in the anime before in terms of character, up until this point pretty much every character (excluding the occasional one-episoders.) He was highly competitive, utilized incredible tactics and variety of skills in battle and didn't show the same soppy "i love you" approach that virtually every trainer before him had to their Pokemon. As for setting the bar high, dude he was shown to be incredibly strong he lost 3 battles during the entire time we saw him, one to the Sinnoh Champion, one to Pyramid King Brandon who had legendary Pokemon, and fianally one to Ash at the end of the league.. To say he isn't setting the bar high is ridiculous especially since you just mentioned Trip who has so far lost two battles too Cilan and Bianca, neither of which are monumentally strong trainers..

It is not a fact that Paul is popular among the fanbase, since it is only opinions not facts. People are entitle to their own opinions don't forget that.

No, what he said was a fact. If i asked someone do you like milk? and they answered with "Yes" that's an opinion, but if i ask ten people and 7 out of 10 said yes, and i then stated that the majority of the people i asked liked milk then yes it is a fact.

Are you actually serious? 90% of topics on Trip people will moan about him trying to copy Paul. I don't understand how Paul wasn't a breath of fresh air? We'd never seen anyone like him in the anime before in terms of character, up until this point pretty much every character (excluding the occasional one-episoders.) He was highly competitive, utilized incredible tactics and variety of skills in battle and didn't show the same soppy "i love you" approach that virtually every trainer before him had to their Pokemon. As for setting the bar high, dude he was shown to be incredibly strong he lost 3 battles during the entire time we saw him, one to the Sinnoh Champion, one to Pyramid King Brandon who had legendary Pokemon, and fianally one to Ash at the end of the league.. To say he isn't setting the bar high is ridiculous especially since you just mentioned Trip who has so far lost two battles too Cilan and Bianca, neither of which are monumentally strong trainers..

No, what he said was a fact. If i asked someone do you like milk? and they answered with "Yes" that's an opinion, but if i ask ten people and 7 out of 10 said yes, and i then stated that the majority of the people i asked liked milk then yes it is a fact.

Yes i am serious !!!!!

No, what he said is not a fact. Paul wasn't really the strongest pokemon trainer are even the greatest rival in the anime, even Gary and Trip are cooler and more interesting then him.

Paul didn't set the bar high on anything since he did lost 3 pokemon battles he has been in which proves he isn't really the strongest. Trip only lost 2 pokemon battles he has been in so far. This pretty much proves something.

Last edited:

DMerle

Guess who's back
Paul didn't set the bar high on anything since he did lost 3 pokemon battles he has been in which proves he isn't really the strongest. Trip only lost 2 pokemon battles he has been in so far. This pretty much proves something.

Are you really that stupid? Paul lost to the Sinnoh Champion, and the Pyramid King. Two of the strongest trainers in the anime, that's like saying your a better fighter than Muhammed Ali cause you've lost less fights.

Josef Stylin

I want to dye

I don't think you know what popularity means.

No, what he said is not a fact. Paul wasn't really the strongest pokemon trainer are even the greatest rival in the anime, even Gary and Trip are cooler and more interesting then him.

I never said he was the strongest, and while Paul being my favorite rival, I never addressed any of my opinions towards him as fact. Quit trying to put words in my mouth to make yourself look better.

Last edited:

LilyTwo

You can say whatever you want. I made up my mind about Paul back when he abused and abandoned Chimchar, and it's not going to change anytime soon, or ever for that matter.

My final say: Paul is a worthless jerk, and he's the worst thing ever to disgrace the Pokemon anime.

DMerle

Guess who's back
You can say whatever you want. I made up my mind about Paul back when he abused and abandoned Chimchar, and it's not going to change anytime soon, or ever for that matter.

My final say: Paul is a worthless jerk, and he's the worst thing ever to disgrace the Pokemon anime.

That seems almost familiar

Oh yeah..

Whatever. My mind about Paul was made up when he abused and abandoned Chimchar. I think hedoes not deserve to be forgiven for that.
And if the wrters wante to show that Paul has changed, they did a terrible job at it. Personally, I saw nothing resembling character growth until that forced last-minute "change" near the Sinnoh League.

Paul was one of those more intimidating rivals for ash. Behind Gary of course. I mean the dude never smiles and always talk in his monotonic deep voice.

I am Lu

You obviously do not understand the difference between what is fact and opinion. What I just bolded was an opinion. You can say Paul was a terrible rival. That's an opinion. You can say Paul was a great rival. That's also an opinion.

You can't say Paul's popularity is an opinion though. He just is. It's a fact that he's a popular character. You can't say, "Well, in my opinion, Paul isn't a popular character." You don't have to like Paul yourself, but you can't deny that an overwhelming amount of people do.

Remember what I said about reiterating the same rhetoric over and over and over again ... ?

Yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.