• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Paul: Overview

GreenTurtwig

Grass Trainer
I think he will be like Gary in the end. Paul and Ash will face off and Ash will win. Paul will then start to see the fault in how he trains. But it will take a while. I mean, Gary still thinks evolution is the only way to make Pokemon strong (I disagree).

But I think Paul will be harder to crack, per say. Since although he has his brother Regi, he doesn't have the great Professor Sam Oak for a grampa.

I think:
*Paul is a misunderstood person who is only trying to get the best out of his Pokémon.
*He is smexy.
*He is the coolest thing I've ever seen on the show.
*He is right to hate Ash (I also hate Ash).
*He will always be Paul, no matter what happens in the future.

I also have a feeling this thread will be closed, though don't quote me on that.

legendarypokemonjunkie17

Back in MY day...
I still think he's a huge jerk. He's a compotent battler, but he isn't an all around nice person. What he said to Maylene in "Lost Leader Strategy" really irked me.

In the end, Ash will probably beat him. Paul will still have a stick up his butt, but maybe in due time he'll be a litte less intense.

So overall, I like him as a character, but I hate him for the way he treats his pokemon, and other people.

BlueDragonfangirl

Paul is so cool. I don't agree with his methods about traing Pokemon, but I do like his attitude towards things. I hope he doesn't change right away after getting beaten by Ash, I want him to change slowly after that battle.

Cobalt_Latios

I still think he's a huge jerk. He's a compotent battler, but he isn't an all around nice person. What he said to Maylene in "Lost Leader Strategy" really irked me.

In the end, Ash will probably beat him. Paul will still have a stick up his butt, but maybe in due time he'll be a litte less intense.

So overall, I like him as a character, but I hate him for the way he treats his pokemon, and other people.
Pretty much my view on him as well.

Though, he adds a tone that wasn't present in the series, making it a bit more interesting.

~C_L~

Black Murder Heavangelon

Ow! Ow! Harder! Ow!
I think Paul is the spitting image of a normal person who plays pokemon competitively. We breed tirelessly for a certain pokemon with a certain move that makes it so special. If its IVs don't live up to potential, we look for a new one. We endlessly train the pokemon from birth to lvl 100. Anyone see where I am going with this?

Maybe Paul makes some of us a bit nervous because we are just as guilty as him when it comes to training. Would you hesitate to answer if you were compared to Paul?

Meh, seriousness aside. Paul is definitely something new to the anime. After Paul, it'd be hard to top him!

ash_1518

I think that Paul's character brings a new concept to the show. Its a different rival to the ones that we are used to. I totally DISAGREE with his methods of training his pokemon and i despise the fact that he doesnt empathize with them. However, I due aknowlege the fact that he brought something new and exciting to the show. It'll be hard to top Paul if the producers get a new rival for ash later on (maybe in the 5th gen).

pokemon fan 132

Paul is overall a good character.He is one of the best rivals Ash ever had and is definitely different from others.

He is type of rival which Ash needed,and he represents good competition for him.The only thing which i dont like about him is his arrogance,and the methods of training his pokemon which are very questionable.But aside from that he is interesting character and opponent.

Ash is going to have a hard time in beating him in Sinnoh tournament.

Crystal Clair

I think Shinji is really awesome. He's different and he goes out of his way to show people that being different kicks butt by being a really powerful trainer. Of course many people may disagree with his actions but they make him unique.

Not to mention my love for him.

VoltTacklingPika

Heh, Paul reminds me ever so slightly of Sasuke from Naruto...

Anyway, Paul is a very interesting character with a different view on how Pokemon should be raised, which makes that much more interesting. I'll be very dissapointed if we don't get an insight into Paul's background, especially because he is so different to his older brother, Reiji.

I'm not a huge fan of how he battles but he gets the job done, that's for sure. Which, in regards in to Leagues and Gym Battles, is the most important thing. I've never liked releasing Pokemon either, but that's probably because I don't do competetive battling and generally don't care if the Starly I catch at the beginning is Level 2 or Level 5.

Overall, Paul is a good character to have and should stick around. He has his flaws, just like every other character, but that doesn't change my opinion.

I think Paul is the spitting image of a normal person who plays pokemon competitively. We breed tirelessly for a certain pokemon with a certain move that makes it so special. If its IVs don't live up to potential, we look for a new one. We endlessly train the pokemon from birth to lvl 100. Anyone see where I am going with this?

Maybe Paul makes some of us a bit nervous because we are just as guilty as him when it comes to training. Would you hesitate to answer if you were compared to Paul?

Meh, seriousness aside. Paul is definitely something new to the anime. After Paul, it'd be hard to top him!

Heh, the first time I heard about Paul, that was my impression of him as well. Though I seriously doubt that they really intended him to be modelled after competitive battlers, the similarity is almost too coincidental.

Undoubtedly, Paul does make things more interesting, being the first mean rival. Gary had an ego, but at least he treated his Pokemon fairly. He certainly adds drama and tension, so he is better for the story, although I prefer Gary's character.

SUPERSTARZZ

The Cool Pip!
Paul is the worst person ever seen on the Pokemon world, no matter how cool he looks.

If I've been a congressman from the Sinnoh region, I'll propose a law which makes near-to-death training illegal, with a reclusion perpetua verdict each and every time.