• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Paul/Shinji Fan Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoshika

Viva Viva Victory6
For anyone who saw the PUSA dub the other day, do you think PUSA made Shinji sound good enough?
Since I'm Australian, I won't be seeing it on TV for a long time. But, there's always Bittorrent; so yay. Anyways, I give a huge "APPROVE'D" stamp on Paul's voice. He sounds a little more childish compared to Furushima's Shinji voice, but it's still lovely. :]

I did find him actually calling Ash by his name a little irritating. I mean, Shinji never said Satoshi's name in any of the episodes I watched..

Also, is it me or does he sound like PokemonUSA!Brock/Drew? (Both have the same dub actor, but yeah)

CuteDrew667

Boo Darlin <3
For anyone who saw the PUSA dub the other day, do you think PUSA made Shinji sound good enough?

I am same as Hoshika except living in England, the eps won't be on my tele for ages.

However, moi has the ep on computer. I actually loved Paul's voice, which was surprising (especially as I wasn't keen on Dawn's). I thought they were going to make him sound really young/childish, but he had the voice of a sixteen/seventeen year old (like his Japanese voice) rather than (like Dawn) making him sound about six, though I have to admit Dawn's voice is growing on me.

I was surprised about Paul calling Ash by his name as well. Also like Hoshika I thought his voice was a mix of Drew's original voice, his PUSA voice and Brock's voice. Perhaps Brock's VA is doing Paul's too. He does seem like a compitant voice actor so he probably could.

Overall I did like his voice, very cocky :D

Hoshika

Viva Viva Victory6

Crystal Clair

How many of you have actually seen the original.
Sorry I'm a little emotional. Everyone but me likes the dub Shinji.

I got used to him in the original and fell in love with his Japanese voice.

However his dub voice is too different for me and I dont like it because it's different.

I have all his Japanese episodes and like to watch them over and over. The more I watch, the more I get used to it.
The thing is, they just made Shinji sound like a jerk (no other depth) and not only that but he sounded too much like Brock rather than nice and smooth.

T_T
I hope maybe Irene understands how I feel

I should add that it's my time of the month this week :\

Last edited:

CuteDrew667

Boo Darlin <3

I always love the original Japanese voices and yesh I have seen Japanese Shinji many many times and have heard his voice many times. I suppose it was pure relief that they did not make him sound completely childish or "forced" like they did some other new voices. At least he sounded older than Ash :D

New Screenshot:

Pocket_Monsters_-_DiamondPearl_-_47.jpg

Last edited:

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
Saw it today~
Anyhow, yes, I think it's good enough. Better than that, even. I'm extremely glad it doesn't have a scratchy tone like Gary's voice for example, which simply wouldn't fit him. When the actor gets rid of the nasaly tone that could be heard a few times, he'll be perfectly fine.

Still prefer Furushima's voice by miles though. It's not the 'sounding older' or 'sounding younger' that gets me, but I always thought his voice had, while sounding rather normal in itself, a slightly creepy and threatening tone when it came out of Shinji's mouth. Dunno how to explain that. It always made me think, "Wow, I don't want to get into a fight with this guy."

Encyclopika

The Queen
Crystal Clair said:
I haven't seen it, but I want too. One of these days I'll mooch it off someone. XD But I don't think that would have changed my opinion, though. Perhaps I like the "jerk" sound that's in his voice - I like jerky characters anyway...and Shinji's a jerk to begin with. XD So I really don't understand the problem, but whatever, to each his own.

Crystal Clair

Still prefer Furushima's voice by miles though. It's not the 'sounding older' or 'sounding younger' that gets me, but I always thought his voice had, while sounding rather normal in itself, a slightly creepy and threatening tone when it came out of Shinji's mouth. Dunno how to explain that. It always made me think, "Wow, I don't want to get into a fight with this guy."
That's kinda how I feel
You know, I may not like his dub voice but it's pretty good compared to what they've been giving the characters lately (Hikari aside). In relativity to PUSA, it's one of their best-done voices. You cant really expect anything perfect with them so might as well just settle for something that's better than average for them.

Irene

Rather bizarre
T_T
I hope maybe Irene understands how I feel

I DO understand. Believe me. A little part of me died when hearing the dub ._.

I just got the US episode and... I thought the voice did not sound right AT ALL, specially because he sounds like a mannequin more than a person (even if as cold and emotionless as he is!). And... everything else Crystal Clair already wrote.

I rememeber seeing that funny typo made on a Japanese site where they called Shinji PAIL instead of Paul.
Well, guys, this is not exactly Pail. This is FAIL.

EDIT: By the way, I get strange junk mail lately:

paul.jpg

Last edited:
*dies laughing* ROFL ARE YOU ACTUALLY SAYING THAT? :\
heresyourdamnproof.png

Seriously Crystal Clair, I don't mind or care that you don't like Shinji's dub voice but don't need to throw yourself down the emo road. -___-

Hoshika

Viva Viva Victory6

*Laughs* Most of us must have seen at least a bit of the original to like him (I know some haven't, but anyways). I have EVERY Shinji episode downloaded onto my computer. In fact, most of the DP episodes I have are mostly contest and Shinji ones (Plus the first few ones).
lolshinjilolzlolol.png

And for goodness sakes, I have even Furushima Kiyotaka-san's voice reel (dude, it's even on my iPod). Now why would I have that if I didn't watch the original?

So seriously, I love Paul's voice. It's better than what I expected it to be; because this is PokemonUSA we're talking about, but Shinji's voice is obviously better, because it's sexier. Just because we love Paul's voice, doesn't mean you have to be oh so~ emotional. Seriously, that's a really poor reason to be (or even want to be) emo.

Last edited:

♥Princess Ketchum♥

#1 Ash Satoshi Lover
Hi i am back ^^

anyways i wanted to say that Paul's voice was so awsome XD Better then i expected and he was totally awsome in DP! Anyways i got all the Shinji episodes too XD

http://i13.*******.com/44b3ej5.jpg

emeraldrayquaza

Make a Wish
This is going to sound really off-topic, but I wasn't feeling very creative at 7:00 on sunday when I got my diamond version, so I named my *nameable* rival Shinji.

Personally, I'd prefer the blonde one to have a fixed name so you could easily name Lukas whatever you wanted. The D/P male reminds me more of Shinji than Jun does.

Back on topic.

I listened to both voices again and haven't changed my opinion in the least.

Crystal Clair

Hey guys, I got a ton of Shinji stuff to post
I found a picture of Shinji's old pet bird
Seriously, I love it when Pokemon/people resemble Shinji. Especially the eyes *swoons*

A Shinji picture story
It's about him playing the Twilight Princess, no spoilers or anything
However, he says something offensive about Jesus so just warning for all you Christians out there.

And last but not least
A flash drawing of Shinji (yeah, I got flash now)
shinjipiccfa6.png

Enjoy
and you too can do picture stories. They're fun and easy and require little effort (assuming you have either episode pics or a pic resource)

Hoshika

Viva Viva Victory6
This is going to sound really off-topic, but I wasn't feeling very creative at 7:00 on sunday when I got my diamond version, so I named my *nameable* rival Shinji.

Lol. I got my Pearl version just this week, and I named my Hikozaru/Chimchar "Shinji". Right, actually I named him Shinji in both my Japanese (Katakana) and English Pearl games.

Lol Crystal Clair @ Spearow's eyes. I seriously think that Elekid's eyes look like Shinji's too. Coincidence? I think not. xD

WaterKrystal

Master Coordinator
Hi, could I join?
Shinji is one of my favorite character on Pokemon, he has that certain attitude that can make me, get annoyed that he is doing that, but on the other hand he can make me think he is cooler just by acting that way.

I think his voice fits him, to me it sounds like the way he acts (if that makes any sense). I think it kinda adds to his character in a way.

Last edited:
A Shinji picture story
It's about him playing the Twilight Princess, no spoilers or anything
However, he says something offensive about Jesus so just warning for all you Christians out there.
LMAO that's hilarious. XD Too lazy to make my own pics with captions mushed in. Plus I lack creativity. :p

Yay for getting the Pearl game Hoshika! I remember when my sister got Hikozaru as a starter, I wanted to tell her "NAME IT SHINJI YO!" Ack I should've just said that. Maybe I should do that with the Diamond game I have on my computer. Hehe...

WaterKrystal!!!! Welcome to the club! ^^ *adds to list*

WaterKrystal

Master Coordinator
@SM- Thanks. :)
Lol, maybe you should, who knows maybe it would have a nature like or one that matches Shinji.

I should have named one of my pokemon Shinji, maybe I will or I'll just wait for the next game to come out to name one of my pokemon that.

@emeraldrayquaza- That's cool, although seeing as how the rival is kinda hyper (and scatterbrained as one of the Pokemon guides stated), I'll now be thinking of jerk Shinji and a hyper Shinji, wow, hyper Shinji doesn't compute with my brain right now.

Last edited:
Any one wondering when Shinji will be coming back? I miss him {Sigh} He's my second favorite character. I want him to be in a lot of episodes.

WaterKrystal

Master Coordinator
Any one wondering when Shinji will be coming back? I miss him {Sigh} He's my second favorite character. I want him to be in a lot of episodes.

Yea, I'm wondering when he will come back too. Even though I've only seen him in two episodes, things are really interesting when he is around. The way his personality clashes with Ash and the group makes things more fun to watch.

I hope that when we see him again, we get to see a new pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.