• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Paul vs Alan

Paul or Alan?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here
Well, what makes Alain's Zard strong to begin with?

1) Tactics? "Use Flamethrower!"

2) Special training techniques? Looks pretty standard to me.

Do you really think Paul would sit around doing nothing? He'd definitely go get his own mega or a dozen and train them like a madman. And also train everything else like a madman.

3) Because 'Zard is special somehow?

Paul spends a ridiculous amount of time identifying strong ones.

4) Because the writers like him?

...Alright, I guess Paul is screwed.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Well, what makes Alain's Zard strong to begin with?

1) Tactics? "Use Flamethrower!"

2) Special training techniques? Looks pretty standard to me.

Do you really think Paul would sit around doing nothing? He'd definitely go get his own mega or a dozen and train them like a madman. And also train everything else like a madman.

3) Because 'Zard is special somehow?

Paul spends a ridiculous amount of time identifying strong ones.

4) Because the writers like him?

...Alright, I guess Paul is screwed.

When Alain has someone as strong as Charizard he hardly ever has to use strategy,he can just one shot most of his opponents with just pure brute force.
Paul can do the same thing but he also adds strategy into his battles.

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here
When Alain has someone as strong as Charizard he hardly ever has to use strategy,he can just one shot most of his opponents with just pure brute force.
Paul can do the same thing but he also adds strategy into his battles.
Well... why is Charizard so strong then? That's what my post was asking.

My money is on option 4, by the way.

Janovy

Banned
Obviously Paul. This isn't even a competition.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
You sure about that? Alain's team is pretty formidable. Plus nothing Paul has could beat Charizard X
Electivire, Drapion, Ursaring, Torterra. Paul has plenty of hard hitters. Hell he could stack his Frosslass with Destiny Bond to do it, could just wait it out with Toxic Spikes, etc...

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
You sure about that? Alain's team is pretty formidable. Plus nothing Paul has could beat Charizard X

The rest of Alain's team isn't all that impressive,Paul could take them out without too much trouble,the only real problem is his Charizard.If he plays his cards right he could wear it down then bring out his Torterra,command it to use giga drain then finish it off with frenzy plant.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Honestly besides uber zard x, paul dominates him after seeing the rest of alain's team. Not sure if he could be zard though.

Red and Blue

Electivire, Drapion, Ursaring, Torterra. Paul has plenty of hard hitters. Hell he could stack his Frosslass with Destiny Bond to do it, could just wait it out with Toxic Spikes, etc...

Alain has heavy hitters besides Zard. His Bisharp and Metagross could give Paul a run for his money. Plus did anyone forget that during their final battle only two of Paul's pokemon got victories?

Navin

MALDREAD
The problem is Pikachu solo KO'd Tyranitar and Metagross, which were the two biggest threats on paper next to Charizard.

For all we know with Pikachu, he could have been battling better than he did against Trollbias' Latios or Brandon's Regice or Tyson's Metagross + Puss in Boots. Or maybe just par to those performances.

Perhaps Tyranitar and Metagross would have wrecked the rest of Ash's team if not for Pikachu. We don't know.

I think Alain might have the raw firepower to edge Paul, but if Paul battles strategically (which he will) to find a way to bring down Zard X, he could take it. I think it's still hard to say until we see more of Bisharp and this all-out fight between Zard X and SatoSmogonfrog.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Torterra, Magmortar and Electivire could cover every one of Alan's teams weaknesses. The only thing they'd struggle with is Charizard, however with Paul being a trainer who on most occasions likes to switch out a lot, he could face Charizard with most of his team still in tact and take it down as a team effort. Throw in Drapion to poison it and that's going to help even more..

Plus there's the chance of MegaAggron or whatever other Pokemon he's got hidden away that we never saw.. Like "all of his fire types" that he thought Chimchar could've been stronger than..

So yeah, I think Paul could do it..

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
I mean, all Paul has to do is set up rocks and use phasing moves to shut down ZardX. Alain's other Pokemon, although not weak, are very beatable. Seeing as Alain is a trainer that relies on raw power rather than synergy and strategy, if Paul can fight strategically I think he will win easily.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Cynthia is quite easily the most Powerful Champion we've seen on this show, so Paul not doing well vs her isn't something to put Alain on a higher pedestal. Both teams are powerful, but while Alain is more quick to take the heads on approach, Paul has shown he understands a strong defense is just as good as a strong offense. He show cased moves like Light Screen and Protect as well as use other status moves like Metal Sound, Bulk Up, Toxic Spikes, Swords Dance, and Haze. Heck, Paul even improvised on some of his Pokemon's attacks, like Magmortar's Rock Tomb and Gastrodon's Muddy Water, even taught his Torterra how to have Stone Edge home in on his opponent.

Janovy

Banned
Yeah it kinda is? Paul beat an E4 after all, something not even Paul could do so I don't think it be a shut out
Oh wow, he beat a single Pokemon with his Mega Evolution.

Let's be real. Alain's single most threatening Pokemon that would pose a legit threat is Mega Charizard, and even then, Alain fights with Charizard with raw power. All Paul needs to do is strategize around that and the victory will be his.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Alain, no freaking contest, this thing has a Darkrai like mon for Christ sake.

Ominous Wind

I believe Paul's Pokemon are better trained. When we saw him training, he focused on all his Pokemon.

If it was a 1v1 of Electivire vs Charizard, I could see the match ending on a double KO.

Janovy

Banned
I mean, if we are to compare the two trainers, let's make it fair.

Either take away the Mega from Alain or give Paul a Mega too. Declaring Alain the better one due to him having a Mega and Paul not is quite ridiculous especially when Paul has proven to be a better trainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.