• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Paul vs Alan

Paul or Alan?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAStatistic

Super Casual Trainer
In a random 6 on 6 encounter, Alain would win only if he Mega Evolves Charizard.
If Paul knows about MCX, then it's not hard to think that he could find a way to bring it down.

UbersSuck20

#FreeGenesect
Alain wins. His Zard X is strong enough to go toe-to-toe with Steven's Mega Metagross and defeat Malva's Houndoom. Paul got stomped by Cynthia's Garchomp and Brandon...

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Alain wins. His Zard X is strong enough to go toe-to-toe with Steven's Mega Metagross and defeat Malva's Houndoom. Paul got stomped by Cynthia's Garchomp and Brandon...

Paul went in the battle against Cynthia wanting to activate Chimchar 's Blaze and also try to take out her Garchomp with Torterra's Frenzy Plant,he's improved since then and would do exponentially better than he did previously.In the battle against Brandon he was really eager to show his brother Reggie that he could do what he couldn't,overwhelmed with emotion he was thrown off by how powerful Brandon's Regis were and continued to get more frustrated as the battle progressed.The Paul from via Lake Acuity/Sinnoh League wouldn't be acting this way and would have also been more prepared considering the Pokemon he was using was more suited for SnowPoint City Gym Leader Candice.

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
I think it just comes down to if this battle is sudden or is planned ahead of time. If sudden Alain will squash Paul. If planned Paul will murder Alain.

Resolute

ribombee is my dawg
Alain, hands down. Alain has way more skill and better Pokemon that Paul in my opinion. Not to mention watching Paul getting destroyed is veeeeeery satisfying (i. e. Cynthia).

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I think it just comes down to if this battle is sudden or is planned ahead of time. If sudden Alain will squash Paul. If planned Paul will murder Alain.

This pretty much. Paul is a strategist while Alan uses raw power to win. Mind over muscle will win if this battle is planned, but if it isn't Alan will probably win due to using mega Charizard X as a surprise.

Cevil

Strategy doesn't always grant a win. Despite Paul having a well-thought-out plan that Ash couldn't even figure out until it was too late, the latter managed to turn the tides and win the match. I'd imagine the same would happen here. Paul would have the upperhand at the start of the battle, however Alain may actually figure out what he's planning and using brute force, he'd beat and wear all of Paul's Pokemon down. Even if Paul decided to use his strongest team, it wouldn't matter as Alain is just on a whole new level.

Janovy

Banned
Wow. I'm genuinely shocked. This gives a whole new meaning to the word 'overrated'.

I mean, Alain on a whole another level? Sure. Sure.

I mean holy crap.

Red and Blue

Wow. I'm genuinely shocked. This gives a whole new meaning to the word 'overrated'.

I mean, Alain on a whole another level? Sure. Sure.

I mean holy crap.

Because he is? He held his own against a champion, Zygarde, and beat a freaking E4 member. Paul just can't compare

AuraKshatriya

I'll just respond to a few things I read (I'll the specific quotes afterwards) and then give my take.

Alain's Charizard didn't really go "toe to toe" with Steven's Metagross. It just didn't get immediately KO'd by it - Charizard was resistant to both the moves it was hit by (Flash Cannon and Meteor Mash, specifically). Given that Blast Burn failed to do any visible damage to Metagross it's likely Charizard would've lost before too long if the battle wasn't interrupted.

I'm fairly certain Paul could defeat the rest of Alain's team, particularly given Ash's Kalos team could, and Paul regularly combines more experienced Pokemon with less experienced Pokemon, and he could just bring a stronger combination of Pokemon than he did in the Sinnoh League.

Torterra alone could probably KO both Tyranitar and Metagross. He's immune to the Sandstorm, resists Stone Edge and could probably use his own moves to deflect or overpower Dark Pulse and Crunch, plus deal Super-Effective damage with his Ground and Grass-type moves. We even saw him take a super-effective Fire Fang from Gliscor without too much trouble, so a neutral Crunch should be fine. While Pikachu without its early-region limiters is really strong, the fact of the matter is that he resisted Metal Claw and Meteor Mash. Torterra is probably even bulkier than region's-end Pikachu and resists Rock Slide, whilst also having Super-Effective Ground-type moves he can use. His battle style also assumes that his opponents are always faster than him, so adding Agility to the mix wouldn't be anything he hasn't dealt with before.

Ursaring or Electivire could KO Bisharp and/or Weavile - both have access to Fighting-type moves and either grow stronger from or are immune to Thunder Wave. Electivire also resists any Steel-type moves Bisharp might have. And Weavile's evasive tactics wouldn't do much when Electivire can use Thunder to send rocks flying from the ground. If Paul were battling Ash in place of Alain he could've also just electrified the water in the Rock battlefield they fought on first.

Honchkrow probably could've tied with Unfezant as well - we've already seen it make use of Super Luck, which Unfezant might have as well. And Honchkrow's Sky Attack is probably comparable in power to Unfezant's, as well as Talonflame's Sky Attack.

The obvious issue is Charizard. Alain generally doesn't bother Mega Evolving Charizard unless his opponent has access to a comparable transformation (in other words, he tends to underestimate his opponents - we even saw this when he didn't bother Mega Evolving Charizard until he saw Remo's Garchomp knew Draco Meteor.)

Base Charizard was able to KO at least Rhyperior on his own, but was also able to be outsped and dropped to one knee by (an extremely weakened and tired) Pikachu. And Paul's already been seen dealing with opponents who assume they're more powerful than him with the battle against Cynthia, where he baited Giga Impact. So I imagine he'd make use of the fact that Alain hasn't seen a Mega Evolution from him to lure Charizard into fighting without Mega Evolving immediately. Electivire has managed to withstand Blazefernape's Flamethrower using Thunder, and stay standing after clashing with its Flare Blitz. I'm fairly certain the firepower of Alain's base Charizard isn't as great as Blazefernape's, so Electivire could likely get a Thunder in before fainting. And he locks Charizard out of Thunderpunch (or takes it and speeds up).

As aforementioned, Destiny Bond Froslass would be a very suitable tactic for Paul, though obviously it's a bit of conjecture since he hasn't taught her that move, to our knowledge. But if the writer were to write this battle with Paul knowing about Mega Charizard X, it'd be odd for them not to toss that idea around in the writer's room. Drapion did fall to Gliscor's Fire Fang, so odds are he couldn't take Charizard's for very long. But Charizard also tends to stand on the ground a lot prior to launching Thunder Punch or Dragon Claw, so Drapion's Toxic Spikes could be useful in keeping him away. Pin Missile would probably also hit, since Gliscor was unable to dodge it even after specifically training in precision flight, though it wouldn't do much damage. Magmortar could also take some hits and defend/attack with Rock Tomb. Given he took Water-type moves from Buizel he could probably take Flamethrower easily.

TD;DR this match would likely be very close. If Paul can get in enough damage before Charizard Mega Evolves, the remainder of his team might be able to tough it out and defeat Mega Charizard X through attrition (and as has already been said, Paul already managed to bring Cynthia's Garchomp to its knees using that tactic. If the writers wrote Blast Burn as they had other recharge moves back in D/P, then Paul could likely use the tactic even more effectively against Alain's Charizard).

The team and likely battle matchups could be as follows:

1) Torterra VS Tyranitar - Torterra wins and is recalled.

2) Ursaring/Electivire VS Weavile - Ursaring/Electivire wins, is recalled for whichever of the two didn't battle.

3) Ursaring/Electivire VS Bisharp - Ursaring/Electivire wins, is recalled.

4) Honckrow VS Unfezant - A draw.

5) Torterra VS Metagross - Torterra wins and is recalled.

6a) Drapion VS Charizard - Lays Toxic Spikes, deals some damage, Charizard wins.
6b) Ursaring VS Charizard - Ursaring might deal some damage, but most certainly loses.
6c) Electivire VS Charizard - Electivire uses Protect to wait for an opening, lands Thunder Punch and Thunder before fainting. Charizard probably Mega Evolves here after sustaining more serious damage. Is also poisoned, still.
6d) Magmortar VS Charizard - Magmortar could probably fake Charizard out by hiding behind Rock Tomb, letting Charizard smash through, avoid the hit, and then hit Charizard with Rock Tomb. Given that getting close to use Dragon Claw or Thunder Punch is dangerous due to Rock Tomb, and Flamethrower could be held off with Magmortar's own Flamethrower, Charizard could probably just Blast Burn here like he did with Mega Houndoom. Magmortar faints.
6e) Torterra VS Charizard - Both are exhausted, but Charizard is also Poisoned. If they write Blast Burn with recharging, Torterra immediately KOs it with Stone Edge, Earthquake, etc. Without recharge, Charizard either wins, faints to the Poison before it can land a hit, or Torterra somehow manages to land one more hit before fainting and force a draw if he faints right after.

Last edited:

PokemonBattleFanatic-

I'll just respond to a few things I read (I'll the specific quotes afterwards) and then give my take.

Alain's Charizard didn't really go "toe to toe" with Steven's Metagross. It just didn't get immediately KO'd by it - Charizard was resistant to both the moves it was hit by (Flash Cannon and Meteor Mash, specifically). Given that Blast Burn failed to do any visible damage to Metagross it's likely Charizard would've lost before too long if the battle wasn't interrupted.

I'm fairly certain Paul could defeat the rest of Alain's team, particularly given Ash's Kalos team could, and Paul regularly combines more experienced Pokemon with less experienced Pokemon, and he could just bring a stronger combination of Pokemon than he did in the Sinnoh League.

Torterra alone could probably KO both Tyranitar and Metagross. He's immune to the Sandstorm, resists Stone Edge and could probably use his own moves to deflect or overpower Dark Pulse and Crunch, plus deal Super-Effective damage with his Ground and Grass-type moves. We even saw him take a super-effective Fire Fang from Gliscor without too much trouble, so a neutral Crunch should be fine. While Pikachu without its early-region limiters is really strong, the fact of the matter is that he resisted Metal Claw and Meteor Mash. Torterra is probably even bulkier than region's-end Pikachu and resists Rock Slide, whilst also having Super-Effective Ground-type moves he can use. His battle style also assumes that his opponents are always faster than him, so adding Agility to the mix wouldn't be anything he hasn't dealt with before.

Ursaring or Electivire could KO Bisharp and/or Weavile - both have access to Fighting-type moves and either grow stronger from or are immune to Thunder Wave. Electivire also resists any Steel-type moves Bisharp might have. And Weavile's evasive tactics wouldn't do much when Electivire can use Thunder to send rocks flying from the ground. If Paul were battling Ash in place of Alain he could've also just electrified the water in the Rock battlefield they fought on first.

Honchkrow probably could've tied with Unfezant as well - we've already seen it make use of Super Luck, which Unfezant might have as well. And Honchkrow's Sky Attack is probably comparable in power to Unfezant's, as well as Talonflame's Sky Attack.

The obvious issue is Charizard. Alain generally doesn't bother Mega Evolving Charizard unless his opponent has access to a comparable transformation (in other words, he tends to underestimate his opponents - we even saw this when he didn't bother Mega Evolving Charizard until he saw Remo's Garchomp knew Draco Meteor.)

Base Charizard was able to KO at least Rhyperior on his own, but was also able to be outsped and dropped to one knee by (an extremely weakened and tired) Pikachu. And Paul's already been seen dealing with opponents who assume they're more powerful than him with the battle against Cynthia, where he baited Giga Impact. So I imagine he'd make use of the fact that Alain hasn't seen a Mega Evolution from him to lure Charizard into fighting without Mega Evolving immediately. Electivire has managed to withstand Blazefernape's Flamethrower using Thunder, and stay standing after clashing with its Flare Blitz. I'm fairly certain the firepower of Alain's base Charizard isn't as great as Blazefernape's, so Electivire could likely get a Thunder in before fainting. And he locks Charizard out of Thunderpunch (or takes it and speeds up).

As aforementioned, Destiny Bond Froslass would be a very suitable tactic for Paul, though obviously it's a bit of conjecture since he hasn't taught her that move, to our knowledge. But if the writer were to write this battle with Paul knowing about Mega Charizard X, it'd be odd for them not to toss that idea around in the writer's room. Drapion did fall to Gliscor's Fire Fang, so odds are he couldn't take Charizard's for very long. But Charizard also tends to stand on the ground a lot prior to launching Thunder Punch or Dragon Claw, so Drapion's Toxic Spikes could be useful in keeping him away. Pin Missile would probably also hit, since Gliscor was unable to dodge it even after specifically training in precision flight, though it wouldn't do much damage. Magmortar could also take some hits and defend/attack with Rock Tomb. Given he took Water-type moves from Buizel he could probably take Flamethrower easily.

TD;DR this match would likely be very close. If Paul can get in enough damage before Charizard Mega Evolves, the remainder of his team might be able to tough it out and defeat Mega Charizard X through attrition (and as has already been said, Paul already managed to bring Cynthia's Garchomp to its knees using that tactic. If the writers wrote Blast Burn as they had other recharge moves back in D/P, then Paul could likely use the tactic even more effectively against Alain's Charizard).

The team and likely battle matchups could be as follows:

1) Torterra VS Tyranitar - Torterra wins and is recalled.

2) Ursaring/Electivire VS Weavile - Ursaring/Electivire wins, is recalled for whichever of the two didn't battle.

3) Ursaring/Electivire VS Bisharp - Ursaring/Electivire wins, is recalled.

4) Honckrow VS Unfezant - A draw.

5) Torterra VS Metagross - Torterra wins and is recalled.

6a) Drapion VS Charizard - Lays Toxic Spikes, deals some damage, Charizard wins.
6b) Ursaring VS Charizard - Ursaring might deal some damage, but most certainly loses.
6c) Electivire VS Charizard - Electivire uses Protect to wait for an opening, lands Thunder Punch and Thunder before fainting. Charizard probably Mega Evolves here after sustaining more serious damage. Is also poisoned, still.
6d) Magmortar VS Charizard - Magmortar could probably fake Charizard out by hiding behind Rock Tomb, letting Charizard smash through, avoid the hit, and then hit Charizard with Rock Tomb. Given that getting close to use Dragon Claw or Thunder Punch is dangerous due to Rock Tomb, and Flamethrower could be held off with Magmortar's own Flamethrower, Charizard could probably just Blast Burn here like he did with Mega Houndoom. Magmortar faints.
6e) Torterra VS Charizard - Both are exhausted, but Charizard is also Poisoned. If they write Blast Burn with recharging, Torterra immediately KOs it with Stone Edge, Earthquake, etc. Without recharge, Charizard either wins, faints to the Poison before it can land a hit, or Torterra somehow manages to land one more hit before fainting and force a draw if he faints right after.

Agree 100 %

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
We also have to consider that a considerable time has passed since the Sinnoh League (although nobody ages, the concept of "growth" seems to be there). Paul seems to be one of those trainers that only looks forward and thrives to be better. His bitter defeat in the Sinnoh League will make him more open-minded when training and would become a better trainer in general (Even Reggie said something like this).

Pikachu52

Do you really think Paul would sit around doing nothing? He'd definitely go get his own mega or a dozen and train them like a madman. And also train everything else like a madman.

Paul will never be able to use Mega evolution for one simple reason. Mega Evolution requires trainer and Pokémon to have a strong bond. Even Korrina and Lucario struggled with and they were portrayed as close from the start, Paul's Pokémon either hated him or were given no reason to like him. Paul was callous and even cruel towards them using them only for his personal glorification. In many ways he's the most evil character in the main anime (movies excepted), except perhaps Hunter J, Giovanni and maybe Lysander. It is cannon, in the anime that friendship is the way to make Pokémon stronger and on that basis Alain would probably win. It's odd that the fandom seems to have such a draw to Paul despite being the worst handled rival of all - a sociopath with the same level of cruelty as any villain yet he receives no justice for his crimes.

This pretty much. Paul is a strategist while Alan uses raw power to win. Mind over muscle will win if this battle is planned, but if it isn't Alan will probably win due to using mega Charizard X as a surprise.

Strategy won't come out on top all the time. Ash is a strategic battler too, but even with using his best Pokémon with the best strategies he can be defeated - He had the strategy of using the masts on Drake's ship in AG to help Grovlye battle Altaria but still lost that battle terribly to the stronger trainer. Cameron's Samurott had a strategy to deal with electric type moves by using it's seamitar to block the attacks - it still fell to Pikachu. If there isn't a comparable level of strength between the two Pokémon or one Pokémon has a major disadvantage it may not be possible to create a strategy that can allow for the disadvantaged or weaker Pokémon to succeed.

Paul went in the battle against Cynthia wanting to activate Chimchar 's Blaze and also try to take out her Garchomp with Torterra's Frenzy Plant,he's improved since then and would do exponentially better than he did previously.

It wasn't clear that he improved from the Cynthia battle at all. Paul stayed more or less at the same level throughout the DP series loosing as badly to Brandon as he did to Cynthia and eventually falling to Ash, who had spent the entire series improving. It's also worth noting here that Alain has held his own against both champion Steven and Seibold of the elite four. He even beat Malva after fighting 9 other mega evolution trainers previously, although I'd still dispute whether that fight was legitimate, and he managed to get all 8 Kalos badges in remarkably short period of time. All of that suggests in terms of strength he's a cut above Paul.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
I mean....take away Charizard X from Alain. What remains?

Alain - Charizard X/Mega Evolution = a decent trainer who doesn't employ strategies and relies on raw power to defeat his opponents. Furthermore, he spends most of his time training his one single Pokemon who is the strongest rather than working on balancing out the entire team.

People are overestimating Alain due to Charizard X, but without Mega Evolution he's nothing. Just a regular trainer.

Paul is head and shoulders above Alain both in terms of strategic thinking and the way he actually trains the entirety of his team. At least that's what we have seen from Paul - we have seen him battle with a variety of Pokemon rather than focusing on a single one whereas with Alain we have only ever seen him demonstrate his superiority with Charizard X.

It says a lot about Paul when he manages to stand out without the fancy mechanic such as Mega Evolution. And if we factor in the possibility of Paul being given a Mega Evolution (no, it's not impossible, because the end of Sinnoh League implied Paul would change his behavior) and as such he would definitely crush Alain.

diakyu

Who cares? We will never see Alain go all out and NOT use Mega Zard so why even mention taking it away? Alain's Mega Zard is nothing to cough at and in a 1 vs 1 with any of Paul's Pokemon it would body them completely.

But I do agree Paul would take this in a 6 vs 6. Maybe.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash

Alain - Charizard X/Mega Evolution = a decent trainer who doesn't employ strategies and relies on raw power to defeat his opponents. Furthermore, he spends most of his time training his one single Pokemon who is the strongest rather than working on balancing out the entire team.

People are overestimating Alain due to Charizard X, but without Mega Evolution he's nothing. Just a regular trainer.

Paul is head and shoulders above Alain both in terms of strategic thinking and the way he actually trains the entirety of his team. At least that's what we have seen from Paul - we have seen him battle with a variety of Pokemon rather than focusing on a single one whereas with Alain we have only ever seen him demonstrate his superiority with Charizard X.

It says a lot about Paul when he manages to stand out without the fancy mechanic such as Mega Evolution. And if we factor in the possibility of Paul being given a Mega Evolution (no, it's not impossible, because the end of Sinnoh League implied Paul would change his behavior) and as such he would definitely crush Alain.

He wouldn't even need to change his behavior; he seemed to already have a strong bond with Electivire and Torterra and his other Pokemon. Chimchar was really the only Pokemon that he seemed to be cruel towards.

Pikachu52

Several fully evolved and powerful Pokémon including both Metagross and Tyranitar.

Alain - Charizard X/Mega Evolution = a decent trainer who doesn't employ strategies and relies on raw power to defeat his opponents. Furthermore, he spends most of his time training his one single Pokemon who is the strongest rather than working on balancing out the entire team. People are overestimating Alain due to Charizard X, but without Mega Evolution he's nothing. Just a regular trainer.

Alain's goal is to be the strongest Mega evolution trainer and much of his journey involves carrying out Lysander's bidding. It shouldn't be a surprise that he's reliant on his strongest partner. League aside, he seems to prefer one on one style battles where raw power is more of a determinative factor. That doesn't diminish his ability as a trainer overall though, it just means he's better at one particular style of battle. An 100m sprinter and a marathon runner are both runners and hence are good at running fast, but their training and techniques are different.

We see Paul and Alain in different lights because their role in their respective series are written differently. Paul is only a rival designed to be a problem for Ash to overcome. So he doesn't make appearances often that don't involve battles. Alain initially appear to introduce Mega Evolution, showcase a popular Pokémon's mega form and plays a role in the villain arch.

While I don't personally believe Paul was that greater strategist, strategy has never been a determinative factor. Having Pokémon that are stronger or have a type advantage against their opponent has determined the outcome of the battle on many occasions in the anime. All of Paul's clever strategies didn't help a bit against either Brandon or Cynthia - his Pokémon were simply overwhelmed by the strength of their opponents. Similarly Alain's brute force and power gained from Mega Evolving allowed him to go head to head with Seibold, Steven and even gain a victory over Malva.

Paul didn't use Mega Evolution because Mega Evolution was introduced in Gen VI and Paul debut and left in the Gen IV series. Likewise neither Ash nor Alain nor any trainer has yet used Z moves or faced a Totem Pokémon because those are new Gen VII features. So not using Mega evolution and looking impressive isn't really a stand out feature since Paul. I'm not sure what the fanfare that's formed around Paul is - I personally think his character was a mistake.

He wouldn't even need to change his behavior; he seemed to already have a strong bond with Electivire and Torterra and his other Pokemon. Chimchar was really the only Pokemon that he seemed to be cruel towards.

There was nothing that implied that. No moments of affection, kind words or even a smile were ever exchanged between Paul and Electivire or Torterra. At best they had a mutually respectful relationship, but that doesn't equal strong bond. Paul's character tried to squeeze Giovanni's character into a rival.

Last edited:

Blaze Master X

The Fallen Hero
Alain VS Paul Begins:

Paul's Team:
-Torterra
-Electivire
-Magmortar
-Aggron
-Drapion
-Honchkrow

-Unfezant VS Honchkrow; Tie
Unfezant and Honchkrow are able to dodge their moves. They use Sky Attack against each other, and they defeat each other at the same time.

-Tyranitar VS Aggron; Aggron
Tyranitar's ability (Sand Stream) summons a sandstorm in battle when Tyranitar enters the battle. (It won't work on Aggron because of Steel-Type)
Aggron's ability is called Rock Head that protects Aggron from recoil damage. They're putting up a good fight, but Aggron defeats Tyranitar with Paul's strategy.

-Charizard VS Aggron; Charizard and Recalled
Charizard defeats Aggron with Flamethrower (because Steel-Type is weak against Fire-Type). And Charizard gets recalled.

-Weavile VS Electivire; Electivire and Recalled
Weavile uses Double Team, but Electivire finds real Weavile and defeats it with Paul's strategy. And Electivire gets recalled.

-Bisharp VS Drapion; Bisharp
Drapion uses Toxic Spikes, saving this for Alain's sixth Pokemon (Metagross) Paul hasn't seen.. Oh yeah, it is not working on Steel-Type.
Bisharp uses Thunder Wave to paralyze Drapion, and then it defeats Drapion with Guillotine.

-Bisharp VS Magmortar; Magmortar
Magmortar defeats Bisharp with Flamethrower and Paul's strategy.

-Metagross VS Magmortar; Metagross
Metagross outspeeds Magmortar, and then it defeats Magmortar. (Metagoss gets burned, thanks to Magmortar's ability that is called "Flame Body")

-Metagross VS Electivire; Electivire
Electivire keeps shocking Metagross with Thunder (just like Pikachu did with Thunderbolt).
Electivire uses Brick Break to defeat Metagross when Metagross gets weakened.

-Mega Charizard X VS Electivire; Mega Charizard X
Charizard uses Thunder Punch against Electivire, but this move raises Electivire's Speed (thanks to Electivire's Ability that is called "Motor Drive"). That forces Alain to Mega Evolve his Charizard.
They're putting up a good fight, but Mega Charizard X defeats Electivire. Because Electivire gets tired (by fighting Metagross) and Mega Charizard X is too powerful.

-Mega Charizard X VS Torterra; Mega Charizard X
Mega Charizard X is dodging Torterras moves and using Dragon Claw to cut/negate Frenzy Plant (just like Ash-Greninja did with Cut).
Mega Charizard X defeats Torterras with Blast Burn (Torterras can't dodge this move because it is very slow.. And it can't block this because it is weak against Fire-Type).

Winner: Alain

Because:
-Alain is Ash's Strongest Rival, New Year Special confirmed.
-Alain's Mega Charizard X is very powerful.
-Alain has defeated Elite Four Malva.
-Alain won the League he first entered.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
I'm not sure what the fanfare that's formed around Paul is - I personally think his character was a mistake.
Say no more. So you literally do not like or appreciate the character in any way which means any further discussion with you would be futile.

Who cares? We will never see Alain go all out and NOT use Mega Zard so why even mention taking it away? Alain's Mega Zard is nothing to cough at and in a 1 vs 1 with any of Paul's Pokemon it would body them completely.
Yeah, except 1 v 1 isn't a proper battle. And wow, way to underestimate Paul's Pokemon.

But I do agree Paul would take this in a 6 vs 6. Maybe.
Probably. Most likely.

Pikachu52

If I had to imagine a battle between Paul and Alain that was 6 v 6 I would imagine Alain winning because of Charizard. Although people have suggested that Paul trains all of his Pokémon, while Alain mostly focuses on Charizard, it overlooks that Charizard is probably strong enough to take out most of Paul's team. There's no obvious stand out in the line up Paul had in DP that looks like it could come close to toppling Mega Charizard, not even electivire or Magmortar. Alain therefore doesn't need to train all of his Pokémon. He only needs the others or acouple of them to be strong enough to go head to head with their opponent should Charizard fall or to chip away at the opponents team enough to allow Charizard to finish them.

As we saw when Paul foolishly tried to take on Cynthia. Cynthia only used Garchop while Paul used several of his Pokémon, yet Cynthia was still victorious as Garchomp was more powerful than Paul's entire team. Even Paul's strategies and the use of Chimchar's Blaze didn't come anywhere close to securing him a win. I don't see why it would be different with Alain

Say no more. So you literally do not like or appreciate the character in any way which means any further discussion with you would be futile.

Not so much not appreciate the character more see it as a flaw with how the character was treated by the plot. Paul's cruelty almost out matched that of the other main antagonist of the DP series, Hunter J and her actions led to her demise. Paul never faced a consequence for what he did, which is odd for a show that's usually quite moralistic. Even Team Rocket, who despite once nearly murdering Pikachu are usually only comically bad are punished with a blast off at the end of each episode.

Yeah, except 1 v 1 isn't a proper battle. And wow, way to underestimate Paul's Pokemon.

Actually 1 v 1 is a proper battle. All the qualifying rounds of regional league conferences are typically 1 v 1 as was every battle in every non-league competition in BW. And Alain isn't the only trainer to prefer 1 v 1 battles - Jimmy from the Pokémon chronicles stated that was his preference too.

Alain preferring to battle singularly, to use brute strenght rather than more subtle strategies and use of Mega Evoltuion doesn't make him an inferior trainer to Paul. I'd say quite the opposite given he's beaten a member of the elite four, managed to win all 8 Kalos gym badges in short space of time and kept pace with the Hoenn champion.

It probably suits him to battle that way given his goal is to win against other Mega Evolution trainers, where as Paul needs a more rounded team to compete in a contest like the Sinnoh League.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.