• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rokroad

Hot Drops
Paul is a really awesome trainer, he treats it Pokémon only different then the standard trainer.

I love his Ursaring of Rage, and Electabuzz is a great one to.

The Indomitable

Experienced Master
I won't deny Paul is powerful, but I think if Ash got together some his strongest pokemon, he may actually take him down

I know this because, lets face it, Paul only has strong pokemon. His current team is probably all his strongest pokemon, so if you get them, and weigh them up against Ash's best...well, its pretty equal.

But as a Character, hes awesome. My definate favourite scene with him is in DP018 when he doesn't remember Dawns name, and she just loses it. Definately the funniest scene in the anime

The Indomitable

Shadow Gamer

The Shadow Trainer
Paul is one of the best characters to come into the series in years. He's the perfect rival for Ash because he is the exact opposite of him and pushes him to his limit. I also love his team.

Eivana

There Is No NiGHTS!
Chimchar would have been awesome if Paul had kept him. I was kinda dissappointed when he let him go.

umbreonluver

CATS DONT DANCE FM
why paul would have abused chimchar im glad ash got chimchar though

catzeye

Writer's Block
Yeah... somehow, I think Paul is a better trainer than Ash, and though it's just opinion, I bet Chimchar would be much, much stronger at this point if it had stayed with Paul.

I actually disagree about Chimchar being stronger with Paul. I say this because of Chimchar's personality and temperament. Chimchar is quite the sensitive pokemon and he was on a team full of already emotionally hardened pokemon. When you look at it the rest of Paul's team are similar to Paul himself. Chimchar was the odd one out the bunch. He wasn't already a hardened pokemon so in a training environment where the expectations are high and the conditions harsh, you can't expect a sensitive soul to do well. That's why Chimchar's story stuck out.

I personally like Paul as both a trainer and as a character. As a trainer he shows us that there are trainers who have strictly business relationship with their pokemon. No fluffiness just getting the job done. I also like that he doesn't care what others think of his style. I like his personality as well- it suits him. He's not there to make friends and share s'mores. Just kick butt and be on his way. We needed a character like Paul for awhile so I'm glad he came now.

Chim-Charred!

Blast Evolution!
Like I said before Paul is the coolest but there are two things I was wondering about. How is it that Ash was able to defeat Brandon but Paul wasn’t? Paul is so much stronger than Ash that it just doesn't make any sense that he couldn't even take down one of that guy's Pokémon. Ash's Pikachu took down Regice so why couldn't Paul's Electabuzz beat Regirock when it tied with Pikachu in a battle as an Elekid. Also, what about Paul's stupid older brother Reggie. I watched the Full battle between Ash and Paul on YouTube but it didn't have subs so I couldn't understand what they were saying very well but it seemed like that turn-coat was cheering for Ash! Was that the case?

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
^Ash took on the Regi's when they were newly caught. Paul took them on when they were fully trained, all three at once, and in a substitution style match. That made it damn near impossible for Paul to win. Ash had it easy, but he still proved himself. Paul was crushed, and I think it was because he was blinded by wanting to beat Brandon, just like he was when he faced Cynthia. He wanted the win and focused on that rather than the battle. Sure, there was a huge power difference, but it shouldn't have meant that he couldn't beat even one of Cynthia's or Brandon's Pokemon.

STICKTOPIA

Like I said before Paul is the coolest but there are two things I was wondering about. How is it that Ash was able to defeat Brandon but Paul wasn’t? Paul is so much stronger than Ash that it just doesn't make any sense that he couldn't even take down one of that guy's Pokémon. Ash's Pikachu took down Regice so why couldn't Paul's Electabuzz beat Regirock when it tied with Pikachu in a battle as an Elekid. Also, what about Paul's stupid older brother Reggie. I watched the Full battle between Ash and Paul on YouTube but it didn't have subs so I couldn't understand what they were saying very well but it seemed like that turn-coat was cheering for Ash! Was that the case?
Paul couldn't win b/c Brandon was substituting pokemon too. Brandon didn't substitute pokemon when he battled Ash.

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
^Thank you for repeating me :/

Anyway, does anyone else agree with my point, that Paul got crushed because his focus was all on winning and not on the battle itself?

Edit: Beat. And apparently not, it seems.

Chim-Charred!

Blast Evolution!
Paul always seems to have his emotions in check to me. In the battles I've seen, I don't know him to fly off the handle and not think about what he's doing. It's one of the many things I like about him.

Squaaah

I actually disagree about Chimchar being stronger with Paul. I say this because of Chimchar's personality and temperament. Chimchar is quite the sensitive pokemon and he was on a team full of already emotionally hardened pokemon. When you look at it the rest of Paul's team are similar to Paul himself. Chimchar was the odd one out the bunch. He wasn't already a hardened pokemon so in a training environment where the expectations are high and the conditions harsh, you can't expect a sensitive soul to do well. That's why Chimchar's story stuck out.

I pretty much 100% agree with this. Chimchar would have been emotionally crippled and ultimatly weaker due to Pauls method of training. Paul realised this and released it.

As for the whole anger thing, I think it was a factor when Paul fought Brandon. But when he fought Cynthia he was thinking very clearly. He just didnt have the power to back it up.

No. 1 Machop Fan

@Eivana: I don't think anyone liked what he did to Chimchar =P

Can you imagine if Chimchar stayed until Paul's control - vicious. I would like some more development from Paul's overall team. Though a lot of them have been fantastic. Paul's Torterra showed empathy with Grotle - so Paul can't be that bad.

I've been thinking... maybe Paul wasn't all that bad as a Trainer, and something happened that hardened him forever. If so, then perhaps his Torterra knows what.

Squaaah

I've been thinking... maybe Paul wasn't all that bad as a Trainer, and something happened that hardened him forever. If so, then perhaps his Torterra knows what.

Im pretty sure that was seeing his brother get pwned by Brandon then give up. Which I think is why he totally lost it in his battle with Brandon.

No. 1 Machop Fan

Im pretty sure that was seeing his brother get pwned by Brandon then give up. Which I think is why he totally lost it in his battle with Brandon.

Was Paul a trainer when he watched that battle?

FlameRose

It said he'd just gotten his Turtwig, so Paul was justa beginner when he saw that. But I also wonder how different his methods were... maybe he lost in the early rounds of the League, saw the person who won trainer his/her Pokemon harshly, and adopted those methods? I dunno.

No. 1 Machop Fan

LightingKimba

Listenin' t'Dragons!
inb4discussion of Paul being a Kuudere.

Really, I don't see why I keep hearing such pretenses as Paul being a parody of competitive trainers. Though I believe the rumor died down recently, it still bugs me whenever I hear it. If Paul really were a parody, he'd release baby pokémon hatched from eggs with bad moves. I never seen a competitive trainer actually go around catching random pokémon to determine their IVs, though I guess the writers didn't feel like going the extra mile for their satire elements.

I'm also surprised how controversial this trainer is; he's the only character that has over a page on the forums currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.