• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torpoleon

Gary never trained his Pokemon brutally or kicked out one of his team members for being too weak to suit his standards. So no, I don't think Paul will change at all unless Ash beats him badly and proves to him that what he's doing is wrong. Which isn't likely to happen.
Well, what I meant was Gary was mean to Ash back in Kanto and now Paul is mean to Ash in Sinnoh. I didn't really mean about their training philosophies.

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
^I know. You were pointing out similarities, I was pointing out differences.
Here's a few more to add to the list. Gary was more taunting and arrogant, Paul is harsh and blunt, but he doesn't act like he's king of the flipping world everytime he talks to Ash. Gary was mostly poking fun, Paul is putting him down at every turn and belittling him like your average bully.

Chim-Charred!

Blast Evolution!
I don't think so, Paul has never really thought much of Ash as a trainer or as a person and I don't think that battle did anything to change his mind. Ash went down pretty hard for a trainer supposedly on equal grounds with him and Paul seemed pretty happy with himself after the battle. His victory defiantly wasn't narrow. Three of Ash's Pokémon fell to just one of Paul's. I think Ash was left wondering if he was really as equal to Paul as he thought. Paul seemed determined not doubtful after his loss to Brandon so I think he knows what he wants to do to reach that elite level that people like Cynthia, Brandon and Palmer are at. I personally believe he already has the ability to beat at least the first member of the Elite Four.

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
He's not a *******. He's more harsh than most people, but so are some of the best (CRMT and IGRMT forum regulars will recognize the name Chaotic Tyrant). Paul is just like most compettitive trainers.

I think Paul knows what he is doing...
When Paul made his Pokemon go after Chimchar, don't those Pokemon he made go after him give Attack/Speed Ev's(Reference to game)? Paul knows that if Chimchar knew how to react to certain situations, he could easily counter them.

Well just my opinion, thought it would relate in-game lolz

thunderblade12

Didn't I already explain how Paul isn't similar to most competitive players just a day ago?

Yeah but I meant the in-game part not the competitive battling part of the game. Most people I know don't worry about OU pokemon or EVs when they're just playing to beat the gym leaders and whatnot.

Gary never trained his Pokemon brutally or kicked out one of his team members for being too weak to suit his standards. So no, I don't think Paul will change at all unless Ash beats him badly and proves to him that what he's doing is wrong. Which isn't likely to happen.

Unless Infernape activates blaze and sweeps like 4 of Paul's pokemon or something. That would feel cheap though.

Silver Trainer

I ♥ Pokemon
Although I don't approve of Paul's training methods he is one of my favorite characters on the show because he uses a lot of pokemon I like and he's a really good rival for Ash because he's the complete opposite of him, which I think will make Ash a much better trainer in the future.

catzeye

Writer's Block
I think that Ash will beat Paul.

C'mon people. We all know Paul will fall to Ash someday. Ash is the main character in a kids show. He has to come out on top.

Now how badly he'll lose to Ash is another story. It could be close, but judging by Paul's mentality he probably won't get the "sense" drilled into his head without it being a total crushing.

We want it to be close, but the writers might make it a sweep in favor of Ash.

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
So no, I don't think Paul will change at all unless Ash beats him badly and proves to him that what he's doing is wrong. Which isn't likely to happen.

I don't think you're right. There's probably going to be a big spectacle that basically summarizes to 'If I defeat you enough you'll be a nice guy!' And seeing as this is Pokémon we're talking about and what happened to Gary, I think that Paul is going to take a turn for the better (although in my opinion he's better as a heartless jerk) sometime during his run on the show.

Combusken-94

I agree that Ash will definately beat Paul at some point - perhaps at the Sinnoh League - and if it is a sweep in Ash's favour (although, unlikely) then it will probably be Monferno doing all the work, just to prove a point. I think that it will most likely be a close match, just to keep it a little more realistic :D

turtle twig

After seeing the dub of Paul's battle with Brandon, and still thinking about Ash losing the 6 vs 6 battle 16 episodes ago, I'm now desperate to see Ash victor over Paul. At this point in the game (the anime actually), no battle between the two in the Sinnoh League will be a huge disappointment.

I want to see Ash somehow exploit a flaw in Paul's training (which sounds impossible).

But if Ash does beat Paul in a huge battle, what will come out of that, other than a milestone for Ash?

FlameRose

When the epic finale comes, I expect it to be Torterra vs. Monferno, with the latter activating Blaze. Heck, I'd love if Torterra also activated Overgrow just to make it even more awesome.

Torpoleon

what if ash brings in charizard, sceptile, snorlax and maybe his 30 tauros against paul..
how bout that?
Well, you can only have six Pokemon. If Ash battles Paul with just Charizard, Ash would still win.

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
Though you have to admit, watching Ash's Tauros herd rampaging all over Paul's Pokémon would be a great episode.

Torpoleon

Though you have to admit, watching Ash's Tauros herd rampaging all over Paul's Pokémon would be a great episode.
Well, yeah. But, Ash isn't cruel so he wont do that. His Tauros might just get angry at Paul though.

I'd just prefer if Ash had a fair six on six battle in which Ash won. A six on six battle where Ash used Pikachu, Feraliagtr(I can dream), Sceptile, Infernape(I can dream), Staraptor and Snorlax. Paul would use Torterra, Magmortar, Electivire(I can dream), Feraligatr(I can dream), Honchkrow and Ursaring. It would be when Ash would head to the 5th Gen land. Although, the only realistic six on six battle with them where Ash would win would have to be during the Sinnoh League.

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
By 'rampage all over', I meant a fight where Ash took six of his Tauros, trained 'em all up, and beat Paul with them. Literally rampaging... well, yes, that would be sort of cruel. And though I may not be knowledgeable in the ways of Japanese spoilers, what's stopping Chimchar from evolving into Infernape?

Torpoleon

By 'rampage all over', I meant a fight where Ash took six of his Tauros, trained 'em all up, and beat Paul with them. Literally rampaging... well, yes, that would be sort of cruel. And though I may not be knowledgeable in the ways of Japanese spoilers, what's stopping Chimchar from evolving into Infernape?
It's just that it hasn't evolved into Infernape yet so yeah. Not saying it wont evolve into Infernape.

Anyways, in DP128, Paul was really getting agitated near the end of his battle with Brandon. Paul needs to control his emotions.

Status
Not open for further replies.