• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Paul

Character Bio
Japanese Name: Shinji
Debut Appearance: "When Pokemon Worlds Collide!"

Paul is one of Ash's rivals in Sinnoh. He is collecting badges for the Sinnoh League. He is a very arrogant trainer, using Pokemon mainly for power and neglecting (and sometimes abusing) those Pokemon he feels are too weak. Oftentimes he releases Pokemon that he feels are useless. He treats Ash very scornfully, calling him pathetic in their many encounters.

Discuss.

JQ2ujrx

Burned By Passion
Paul is a much tougher trainer than Ash, he doesn't BS around by helping random people, and his rotation strategy is genius. So what if he's a terrible person and will probably go to hell? He's awesome! He knows that he'll be shining Satan's boots and he doesn't give a crap. Plus, he gets extreme cool points for Ursaring and Magmortar. Bottom Line: Paul's awesome, even if he's is a less than reputable person :)

Torpoleon

Paul is way stronger than Ash, for now, Paul's Ursaring creams! Pauls hold get rid of Weavile soon. During the league, I think Paul will finally lose to Ash.

STICKTOPIA

We all know Ash will beat Paul in the sinnoh league. Ash needs to get through electabuzz's defense and not paralyze ursaring this time.

Noheart

The Abysswalker
I don't think Ash will beat him until the Sinnoh League.

HoennMaster

I don't understand why people hate him. First of all, he's not real. Plus, he brings something new to the show and he is the first rival to actually get decent screentime and actually do something. His battle with Ash in the Sinnoh League will be way better then Ash and Gary's at the Johto League.

No. 1 Machop Fan

Paul's character was bound to happen some time.

I wouldn't surprise me at all if at least one of his Pokémon knew Frustration, especially if it can OHKO a Pokémon (if it's already known that one of his Pokémon knows it, then please do not abuse me).

I once wrote a story about a character who was just like Paul, only deadlier (his Weavile nearly killed a Machoke with Fury Swipes), and when I face him, his Nidoking OHKOs my Espeon with Frustration (Paul also having a Weavile and a Nidoking was a coincidence, as I wrote the story before finding out about Paul).

Last edited:

STICKTOPIA

GalladeX

I don't understand why people hate him. First of all, he's not real. Plus, he brings something new to the show and he is the first rival to actually get decent screentime and actually do something. His battle with Ash in the Sinnoh League will be way better then Ash and Gary's at the Johto League.

I dunno... that was seriously epic.

Geodude

Paul is an interesting character. On the surface he seems to be absolutely everything Ash isn't, as people have already mentioned. But he isn't a villain or even an antagonist...just a rude, insulting rival. For all his tough surface, Paul does have flashes of decency. He is generally respectful, albeit distantly polite, to authority figures, such as Professor Rowan, Nurse Joy, and Cynthia. (Maylene is an exception.) He didn't have to, but he warned Ash about that forest with the Stantler that hypnotize people. Later, he could have just watched Ash flail around in Stantler's illusion from a distance and took pleasure from it, leaving Ash stuck in the forest for who knows how long, but instead he stopped the illusion. There may have been a few other occasions where, despite his rude manner, he did offer some piece of useful information or help, but I can't think of any right now. Anyone else?

thunderblade12

Paul's character was bound to happen some time.

I wouldn't surprise me at all if at least one of his Pokémon knew Frustration, especially if it can OHKO a Pokémon (if it's already known that one of his Pokémon knows it, then please do not abuse me).

I once wrote a story about a character who was just like Paul, only deadlier (his Weavile nearly killed a Machoke with Fury Swipes), and when I face him, his Nidoking OHKOs my Espeon with Frustration (Paul also having a Weavile and a Nidoking was a coincidence, as I wrote the story before finding out about Paul).

True. That move would probably be looked down upon in the anime. The weird part is that Harley's Banette knew frustration and no one seemed to get on his case about his pokemon not liking him.

FlameRose

@ Geodude: He seems to have a little more tolerance for Brock then Ash or Dawn. The only time he snapped at Brock was in A-Maze-Ing Race, and only because he'd been asked the same question two times before while trying to capture a Fearow. Maybe it's because unlike Ash and Dawn, Brock doesn't immediately snap at him when he sees him training and stuff? It's almost like he attempts to see Paul's side of the story, IMO.

But yeah. Paul's awesome. I love how he's just so...DIFFERENT from other rivals of the past. Sure, Harley was a hilarious jerk, but it was clear he absolutely adored his Pokemon. While Paul is not only a jerk, he does NOT seem to care for any of his Pokemon, which I'm glad the show's finally putting in. We've been long overdue for a jerk with no sense of humor. :p

thunderblade12

Brock was a gym leader so maybe he has some respect for him just like Roark.

Something that bugged me about Paul not respecting Ash was when he gave him a hard time for losing the Wallace Cup. He cares about contests? And since Dawn won the Wallace Cup does he respect her, May, and even Zoey more then Ash?

Squaaah

Brock was a gym leader so maybe he has some respect for him just like Roark.

Something that bugged me about Paul not respecting Ash was when he gave him a hard time for losing the Wallace Cup. He cares about contests? And since Dawn won the Wallace Cup does he respect her, May, and even Zoey more then Ash?

I think with that he was just looking at a reason to dig at Ash. The way he said "losing contest pokemon" sounded a bit to me like he thought contests were for losers, so anyone who lost at them must be pathetic. However, I'd love Pauls opinion of contests confirmed.

As for Brock, I think Brock thinks Paul is a harsh trainer, but as an older and more mature member of AshandCo he'd rather see Pauls side and not get on his case about it until he actually puts a pokemon in danger, like with Chimchar. Because of this, I really like Brock :D.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
People who say Paul doesn't care about his pokemon need to look a bit closer- sure, he's a stick-over-carrot trainer, but he seems to genuinely respect his current team. He's not so quick to go around releasing them anymore (not since Chimchar), and has even been seen treating them now and again. He also checks them into the centre regularly, and gives them a break at Reggie's when he feels like switching up. He's especially close to his Torterra, for obvious reasons. So while he's certainly not sympathetic, he's also not all that cruel. But he's definitely a great character, and one I hope we see occasionally after the end of DP.

Squaaah

People who say Paul doesn't care about his pokemon need to look a bit closer- sure, he's a stick-over-carrot trainer, but he seems to genuinely respect his current team. He's not so quick to go around releasing them anymore (not since Chimchar), and has even been seen treating them now and again. He also checks them into the centre regularly, and gives them a break at Reggie's when he feels like switching up. He's especially close to his Torterra, for obvious reasons. So while he's certainly not sympathetic, he's also not all that cruel. But he's definitely a great character, and one I hope we see occasionally after the end of DP.

I think its more "keeping his tools for the job in working condition" rather then doing it to be kind. The same way you might keep a car clean, or trying not to damage the engine, keeping it in good repair, so that it can do the job its intended for. Pauls pokemon cant win for him if he doesnt give them rests every now and then.

But I do agree hes not especially "Cruel". As you said, unsympathetic is the best word. He doesnt encourage them or sympathise them, and punishes them when they loose. Ultimatly its just a training method that hardens emotionally making them alot tougher.

What happened with Chimchar though, was definitely cruel. But Paul only did that because it was the only way he knew how to getting Chimchar to access blaze. I dont think Paul intended to do Chimchar any lasting damage, he just wanted it at its full potential.

Eivana

There Is No NiGHTS!
Paul kind of bugs me though... I mean, jeez. He's like a made over Silver.

But I like him better than Ash. He's a much better trainer, and he's really serious about what Pokemon he has. I kind of like his hatred toward the weak and his love for perfection in Pokemon.

I just don't like what he did to his Chimchar.

GeoFerocious

Super Effective
@Eivana: I don't think anyone liked what he did to Chimchar =P

Can you imagine if Chimchar stayed until Paul's control - vicious. I would like some more development from Paul's overall team. Though a lot of them have been fantastic. Paul's Torterra showed empathy with Grotle - so Paul can't be that bad.

Grei

not the color
@Eivana: I don't think anyone liked what he did to Chimchar =P

Can you imagine if Chimchar stayed until Paul's control - vicious.

Yeah... somehow, I think Paul is a better trainer than Ash, and though it's just opinion, I bet Chimchar would be much, much stronger at this point if it had stayed with Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.