• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
I do feel Pauls' way is a bit cheap though.

Like we've seen with Weavile for example, not all of his Pokemon are all that powerful. He just switches out a LOT to gain the advantage. (Seriously, 1 attack and then switching out already, who does that?)

It's part of Paul's strategy in battles. vs Ash, for example, he was smart when he saw that his Torterra was too tired (unclear why) and used another pokemon that still was fresh. Ash needs to learn how to do it as well.

Torpoleon

I do feel Pauls' way is a bit cheap though.

Like we've seen with Weavile for example, not all of his Pokemon are all that powerful. He just switches out a LOT to gain the advantage. (Seriously, 1 attack and then switching out already, who does that?)
He's just trying to get the upper hand. Although it does sound cheap, I think that Paul has a good strategy. It's kind of a good strategy.

ESPNfanatic35

Catcher of Ubers
I love that the show put someone like Paul in. Along with Harley, he is the best rival so far in the entire series. In an age where it seem like it's a sin to actually catch a Pokemon (I mean, Ash doesn't officially catch many of his Pokemon anymore, he makes friends with them and they decide to join him), Paul catches any strong Pokemon he sees. In Different Strokes for Different Blokes, he actually catches the angry Ursaring like any good trainer would rather than run away from it like Ash did. In Riding the Winds of Change, Paul captured the wild Gliscor (and was scolded by Ash). Ash and Dawn on the other hand, lets Ursaring go without catching it, let a powerful Aggron from Trials and Adulations go without catching it, let a defeated Swampert from Leading a Stray go without catching it, and the Phione from Hold the Phione go without catching it. It's apparent that Ash and Co. care more about helping Pokemon rather than training and catching them. They need to be Pokemon Rangers, not trainers or coordinaters. Paul seems to be a serious trainer who wants to catch rare Pokemon and build a strong team. That's why Paul kicks butt.

--> kahing

He's just trying to get the upper hand. Although it does sound cheap, I think that Paul has a good strategy. It's kind of a good strategy.

Yeah, even though it is cheap, it is a really good strategy. I wish that he didn't switch out that many times though, b/c he switches his pokemon A LOT.

I think the only reason why Paul is better prepared than Ash is b/c he knows that Ash will only use those six pokemon and won't use any reserves. He made his team specifically to battle Ash's team. If Ash used reserves then he probably would have had that element of surprise, but he didn't.

CheeseChan.xx

I ♥ Shinji
After that the next episode will revolve around Paul getting really angry with himself, his pokes and Ash, but after a talk with him (and a possible intervention fromTR) he will realise that he was wrong to treat his Pokemon so harshly. However, he will still continue to push his Pokemon really hard, but won't go as psycho as he has before.

That would be so awesome!!! Especially if he came to respect, like or even fall in love with Hikari x3

knux-the-killer

Excuse me Paul haters, but he is actually one of the best rivals that I saw so far.
He may be cruel, almost emotionless and even a pain, but don't think that makes him interesting?
Besides, was time to appear some serious character that doesn't look pokemon like love and friendship or other stuff that we see in thousands of times.

Besides, his team is an example to follow. At least he is not a sissy like Dawn about evolving his party. For that so he is so strong and give full proof that is much stronger than Ash after that full battle.

He may be this or that but he is not someone to be understimated.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Excuse me Paul haters, but he is actually one of the best rivals that I saw so far.
He may be cruel, almost emotionless and even a pain, but don't think that makes him interesting?
Besides, was time to appear some serious character that doesn't look pokemon like love and friendship or other stuff that we see in thousands of times.

Yes that's what makes him a good rival, probably the beat ever. he has great strategy in battles and he has experience from the other leagues, like Ash. maybe his method does not look to Ash, but he is a great opponent.

Paul's the rival Ash needed back in Johto. I mean Gary showed up in the Hoot-hoot episode and then just seemed to disappear untill the Silver League.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Paul's the rival Ash needed back in Johto. I mean Gary showed up in the Hoot-hoot episode and then just seemed to disappear untill the Silver League.

Well, at least in Johto Ash had a rival. In Hoenn, however...

And no, Silver is much better.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid

Well yeah Paul appears much more than Gary(in Johto). but you have a mistake, because Gary appeared also in seasons 4-5, however less than Paul.

Chim-Charred!

Blast Evolution!
I like that Paul seems to have lightened up, just a tiny bit. He is just cool calm and collected. Like his battle with Ash. If you pay attention he never said two words to Ash the entire full battle, leading up to it or after. He knew exactly what he was doing. It was actually Ash who was doing all the trash talking which was weird since he was losing. Also from what we've seen he hasn't released any Pokémon since Chimchar and he doesn't scold his Pokémon so much. I think his battle with Brandon had an effect on him but I expect him to have the Brave Symbol soon.

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
I have a question.... why do so many people seem to think Paul's Magmortar is so powerful? We've only seen it as a Magmortar in a proper battle once, and it didn't net a win. IMO Buizel could have defeated it if Paul hadn't switched it out. I'm not saying it isn't strong but some people seem to see it as being as strong as Torterra, for example.
Just curious.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
I have a question.... why do so many people seem to think Paul's Magmortar is so powerful? We've only seen it as a Magmortar in a proper battle once, and it didn't net a win. IMO Buizel could have defeated it if Paul hadn't switched it out. I'm not saying it isn't strong but some people seem to see it as being as strong as Torterra, for example.
Just curious.

Because he looked like he could even handle the weasel?

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
Because he looked like he could even handle the weasel?

But that doesn't make him as uber as some are making him out to be. Being able to handle Buizel doesn't make him incredibly powerful.

Vernikova

Champion
It's probably because Paul has yet to release and that implies that it is very powerful. I'm not saying that it's a good reason but that is a likely reason.

redrunner89

Serebii War Leader
I love that the show put someone like Paul in. Along with Harley, he is the best rival so far in the entire series. In an age where it seem like it's a sin to actually catch a Pokemon (I mean, Ash doesn't officially catch many of his Pokemon anymore, he makes friends with them and they decide to join him), Paul catches any strong Pokemon he sees. In Different Strokes for Different Blokes, he actually catches the angry Ursaring like any good trainer would rather than run away from it like Ash did. In Riding the Winds of Change, Paul captured the wild Gliscor (and was scolded by Ash). Ash and Dawn on the other hand, lets Ursaring go without catching it, let a powerful Aggron from Trials and Adulations go without catching it, let a defeated Swampert from Leading a Stray go without catching it, and the Phione from Hold the Phione go without catching it. It's apparent that Ash and Co. care more about helping Pokemon rather than training and catching them. They need to be Pokemon Rangers, not trainers or coordinaters. Paul seems to be a serious trainer who wants to catch rare Pokemon and build a strong team. That's why Paul kicks butt.

thank you for saying this. Ash is a joke of a trainer, he doesn't catch pokemon, and they haven't evolved for the most part since this series. Still its taken the entire season for them to evolve and weasel isn't going to evolve. Ash never catches pokemon anymore and the writers don't believe that he can have more than six pokemon. However Paul is an actual trainer and doesn't care about the situation that a wild pokemon is in, he does what a trainer is suppose to do, catch the pokemon. So Paul is the best character in the anime

Chimchar15

When I first saw Paul I immediately thought of Silver. Then when I found out about his character I just was amazing at how much they have in common. I like how Ash has a really good rival in this region. I liked Hoenn a lot but the only thing that was missing was a proper rival for Ash. At least he had one in Kanto and Johto, even though Gary was barely shown.

Edit: Also I don't think Ash is a joke of a trainer. I would actually like my Pokemon to get along with me. If a Pokemon like you and just wants to go with you what's wrong with that? Ash has a strong bond with his Pokemon with makes them strive to try harder, while Paul likes to distance himself, and although I admit he does more train like Ash needs to do, Paul's Pokemon only strive to do well as to not disappoint him, which I think is horrible. It's like having a pet dog, who doesn't do a trick right, and you shun them because of that, even though they tried they're best for you. All in all, if they showed more training episodes with Ash, he would definitely be on top of Paul.

Last edited:

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
thank you for saying this. Ash is a joke of a trainer, he doesn't catch pokemon, and they haven't evolved for the most part since this series. Still its taken the entire season for them to evolve and weasel isn't going to evolve. Ash never catches pokemon anymore and the writers don't believe that he can have more than six pokemon. However Paul is an actual trainer and doesn't care about the situation that a wild pokemon is in, he does what a trainer is suppose to do, catch the pokemon. So Paul is the best character in the anime

Wrong. Paul train his pokemon just like Ash, but different, Ash train his pokemon a lot, and captures sometimes. Paul has many evolved pokemon, but you can't say he is better only because one pokemon of Ash didn't evolved.

swampertlover5712

True Love Never Dies
In my opinion, Paul is a MUCH better rival than Gary, at least he doesn't have cheerleaders panting after him. ;)

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
In my opinion, Paul is a MUCH better rival than Gary, at least he doesn't have cheerleaders panting after him. ;)

Well I think you are right but his training method seems little different than Ash and Gary's method.

As a rival he is better because Gary almost didn't appear and Paul is getting much more screentime as a main rival.

Status
Not open for further replies.