• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

iraqmaster

Finally, a Rival that isn't some buddy buddy good guy like the rest of them..

zeno48

Zaker!
Finally, a Rival that isn't some buddy buddy good guy like the rest of them..

Yeah there are too many of those in the anime so having paul is a great change of pace then what we usually get. I would not enjoy it as much if it was just another happy, friendly rival.

Chim-Charred!

Blast Evolution!
I know, I feel the exact same way! It's another one of the many thing I love about Paul!

Skull-Kid

Well I think you are right but his training method seems little different than Ash and Gary's method.

As a rival he is better because Gary almost didn't appear and Paul is getting much more screentime as a main rival.

Agreed.

At least now we get to actually see his rival progress as the series goes on.

Chim-Charred!

Blast Evolution!
Paul is my favorite Pokémon character of all time but I could never do what he used to do. I was playing online and for the sake of winning I commanded my Garchomp to use Earthquake even though my Infernape would be hurt in the process. I've never ever done anything like that before! I felt so bad that even though one more attack would have done it and Garchomp was faster, I gave in. I'll never do that again! I'm glad Paul seems to care more about his Pokémon than he used to because that stuff is HARSH!

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Paul is my favorite Pokémon character of all time but I could never do what he used to do. I was playing online and for the sake of winning I commanded my Garchomp to use Earthquake even though my Infernape would be hurt in the process. I've never ever done anything like that before! I felt so bad that even though one more attack would have done it and Garchomp was faster, I gave in. I'll never do that again! I'm glad Paul seems to care more about his Pokémon than he used to because that stuff is HARSH!

Well I think that Paul is one of my favorite characters either. I love his personality, he reminds me someone. I don't know if he care more to his pokemon but I do know that he won't be sad if one of his pokemon will be hurt very hard like Ash does.

katfairy

Paul is a great character, but as a human being, he is detestable. I know people like that, and I do not associate with them. I do not tolerate abusers, whether real or fictional.

I'm surprised and impressed that they put a character like this in a kids' show. He isn't portrayed as being flat-out evil; he has a backstory and is even somewhat complex. It doesn't make him likable, but it makes him more realistic than most of the characters.

cookies kill you

Like a boss
like him or not he has a very smart training methods by seeing whats best seeing whats best effective on pokemon and giving it to his bro so it will boost the exp for his pokemon

katfairy

Effective doesn't mean good. There was a music director I worked with that got excellent results from his singers- but very few ever chose to work with him a second time, and at least one group blacklisted him for the way he treated the singers. Was he brilliant? Yes. Nobody denies that. Was he effective? Yes. Was it worth what he put people through? No.

In some ways, Paul reminds me of this man. He is obnoxious, abrasive, arrogant, abusive, and, unfortunately, effective. (But not brilliant. Not even close.) But being effective doesn't mean much if nobody wants to deal with you because you are a complete and utter DB.

Chim-Charred!

Blast Evolution!
Well I don't know, if the guy can really help you sing better, and it's important to you, it might me something you have to endure. Think about the millions of people that have DB bosses but have to put up with them because they need to be paid. Sure you could quit and get a lower paying job but it wouldn't be worth it in the end.

Prominence

I understand why little children like Paul. They may think he's a meanie but he has very powerful Pokémon at his disposal. All his Pokémon evolve very fast wich means he always shows up with different strong Pokémon. He's a jerk. I like that and we all know he will eventually warm up and become a nice(r) person. I'm not looking forward to that, though.

GalladeX

Does anybody think/hope Paul will ditch Weavile? That thing has lost so many battles...

If Paul were to have a theme song, it is anything with +30 swears.

Aside from that,

t
hank you for saying this. Ash is a joke of a trainer, he doesn't catch pokemon, and they haven't evolved for the most part since this series. Still its taken the entire season for them to evolve and weasel isn't going to evolve. Ash never catches pokemon anymore and the writers don't believe that he can have more than six pokemon. However Paul is an actual trainer and doesn't care about the situation that a wild pokemon is in, he does what a trainer is suppose to do, catch the pokemon. So Paul is the best character in the anime

First of all, beeting the Orange League, Battle Frontier, and placing relatively high in three -soon to be four- Leagues does not make you a joke of a trainer.

Secondly, are you speaking about D/P when you say the thing about evolving? Because Staraptor, Gliscor, Torterra, and Infernape would all like a word with you.

Thirdly, any Pokemon that comes into your possession is caught. The Riolu I got from Riley in Pokemon Pearl is deemed as caught. And what do you mean he can't have more than six Pokemon? If your counting Sinnoh, he has 7. If your counting the entire series, that's like 30-ish.

Fourthly, Ash does catch Pokemon. Grotle/Torterra, Staraptor and Gible. Not to mention all the other non D/P.

Fifthly, "being the best character in the anime" and being "the best character in the anime in your opinion" are different things. I hope you think the latter, or else that's sort of arrogant.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Does anybody think/hope Paul will ditch Weavile? That thing has lost so many battles....

He should replace Weavile against Ash, but he might use it in other battles (double battles or 3 vs 3). Gliscor wasn't shown enough so I don't know if it stronger. it beat a Gligar but I was impressed from it when he knocked out Electabuzz.

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
Does anybody think/hope Paul will ditch Weavile? That thing has lost so many battles...

No it hasn't. It's lost twice on screen. Once to a champion (which really doesn't count because even Ash's Charizard would probably lose to Cynthia's Garchomp) and the other time to one of Ash's strongest pokemon on him at the time. Both perfectly acceptable losses. For all we know Weavile gets Paul most of his wins off screen. Besides, he wouldn't keep it for multiple regions if it was weak.

Torpoleon

Maybe one day he will release it. We've seen it in 2 battles. Against Cynthia's Garchomp and Ash's Staraptor and it lost in both. It was faster than Ash's Staraptor although even Reggie said that Staraptor had the advantage.

Wow, it is kind of hard to believe that Paul is starting to respect Ash now. It was in DP163 when Ash's Monferno evolved.

GalladeX

Paul's starting to respec people? ASH of all people?! This must be a sign of the Apocalypse.

But really, I guess it was bound to happen. If Paul is based off Silver, then he'd turn nice eventually.

Dangit.

Chim-Charred!

Blast Evolution!
I think Paul was just giving credit where credit is do. Infernape is a top level Pokémon. I know because it's my main battling Pokémon in competitive battles. Paul might take Ash more seriously but I doubt he respects him.

Torpoleon

I think Paul was just giving credit where credit is do. Infernape is a top level Pokémon. I know because it's my main battling Pokémon in competitive battles. Paul might take Ash more seriously but I doubt he respects him.
Well I read on Bulbapedia that Paul respects Ash a little bit. That would be because Ash managed to make Chimchar into an Infernape. Paul is slowly starting to respect Ash.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Paul shouldn't respect Ash if he wants to beat him again. I think this respect that he will give him in their battle will be to much and then he will loss. He should appreciate him but not too much.

supernoob

Derpy and awesome!
silver

admit that paul is just a copy of silver!

they look just the same and they both have a ursaring and a weawile/sneasel

(manga silver has them). but anyways,i kinda like his battling style and his

almighty pokemons.

Status
Not open for further replies.