• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Paul's Epilogue: aka, Getting Away With Murder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dattebayo

Banned
After Paul's defeat, I'd expect him to get a heal face change just like Silver - since the two share similar traits, but no, he's still the same ole same ole.

Antiyonder

Overlord
Ok, I conceed that he was merely strict, but:

A. The fact that even his other Pokemon fail prove that his method isn't perfect.
B. Praising or complementing someone doesn't always equal babying them.

I mean, Lance and Cynthia clearly are caring towards their Pokemon and they are both high leveled trainers.

Now I'm willing to agree that his strictness isn't a wrong way to train, but Ash's method isn't wrong either. Heck, I'd even argue that it would be better to apply the best of Ash and Paul's method depending on the circumstances.

Last edited:

Cataquack Warrior

There have been strict and harsh trainers in the series. However, they usually come in two types.

The first is the type that is unrelenting as a trainer but still deeply cares for his Pokemon. A.J. is a good example of this, for while he works his Pokemon to the ground, he still loves them deeply, and is loved in turn.

The second type is the arrogant trainer who has no respect for the sanctity of a trainer-Pokemon bond, and truly treats any Pokemon encountered like tools- often worthless tools at that. Examples of this class include Damien and Koji.

The important thing is that both types project the moral of caring for Pokemon. Trainers like A.J. are initially viewed as mean until their gentler side becomes apparent, showing that they still care about Pokemon in their own way. Ones that unrepentently view Pokemon as filth inevitably meet their just deserts with defeat, often at the hands of the Pokemon they abused. Therefore, the overall theme is that no matter what the training method is, the trainer must share a bond with his Pokemon.

Paul does not fit the archetype of this moral. He shows no repentance for the lack of love for his Pokemon. He had already given up on Chimchar when it faltered in the battle with Zangoose, and would have left it to certain defeat if it wasn't for Ash. Then he abandons it much like other bad trainers have in past episodes. The problem is that he never truly faces justice for his abuses. In fact, by the end his outlook is simply attributed to his style, disregarding that he added his own element of true callousness to training.

Personally, I felt that Paul was initially set up, like Hunter J, to be a counter to the show's morals. Such a conflict would certainly give the story drama. However, the full moral disparity was gradually forgotten, leaving his abuses as an unfinished plot.

RocketTwurpSLR

pokemonmaniacSLR
paul respects the strong, and i dont think he abuses them at all, hence the why he releases them--i think is because he wanted to get strong fast (hunger for fame) yes he is a meanie but that is just to make sure he's pokemon are in tip top shape (kinda like a personal trainer)

i cant see him doing anything like AJ did, Ash would have puched him in the face if he did

he chose chimchar to go with him because he pointed out its strong point
--i dont think for 1 minute that he was abusing chimchar i think he was trying out ash's counter shield statergy!
(you'll know what im on about if you rewatch dp51)

Cataquack Warrior

I consider abuse to include abandonment, especially when it is non-consensual. Ash has released many of his Pokemon, but for the most part because they wanted to; in those cases, it is more of letting them go to pursue their own lives. Usually trainers who simply release their Pokemon are viewed harshly, such as in the case of Damien. What strikes me the most about Paul is that he cares nothing for his Pokemon. Even Gary- who caught first, asked questions later- showed concern for his Pokemon's wellbeing. Paul on the other hand treats his Pokemon as tools. That callous attitude is the main reason I despise him.

Simon Alexander

basalit-an
I still would like to see any mention of Paul's "cruelty". Keep in mind that this is a show intended for kids, so showing outright abuse or cruelty is definitely a red flag. And besides, "abuse" is what A.J. was doing to his Pokemon. He himself physically assaulted his Pokemon. What people try to define as cruel is just Paul being a strict trainer. He doesn't take any crap form his Pokemon and refuses to let them slack off. If he sees a weak link, it is expendable. He doesn't have time for his Pokemon not being focused and getting left behind.

UM, SIR, NO.

This has been countered a bit, but. You've made a ton of good points defending Paul's training strategies, yet you call A.J. abusive? If anything, A.J.'s training is far less damaging than Paul's. A.J. had his pokemon wear macho braces and train - which is perfectly normal - and the only dubious thing he did was get Sandshrew to go into the water to build up its defenses. Even still, Sandshrew was never held underwater for too long and it was perfectly fine and healthy. Moreover, A.J. loved and praised his pokemon, and the feelings were returned, which was obvious by their embrace after Sandshrew was saved from Team Rocket. And he never "physically assaulted them himself". I never saw him punching rattata.

BACK TO PAUL, I have not yet seen the end of DP but I know what happens, pretty much. So what if he never got what he, in some people's opinion, may have deserved? It doesn't always happen in real life, and it shouldn't have to happen in fiction. He seems to have learned and accepted that there may be other ways to go about training, and he isn't really that abusive of a trainer. If anything, he's just a jerk and incredibly arrogant, which seems to be changing in him by the end. There's really no reason for him to get a "karmic backlash" or anything.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Paul wasn't hated because of his harsher and unorthodox methods.He was hated because he pushed his Pokemon beyond their breaking point,treat them like tools(even though the anime clearly shows them as intelligent),and was a jerk to everyone around him,sans the Pokequivelant of celebrities.Yeah,Infernape was the one who defeated him,but it just doesn't feel enough punishment.A better punishment is a rebellion of every one of his Pokemon against him-except his Electivire,who's as much of a jerk as Paul.

Of course,Tobias would be considered more of an a-hole if he had dimensions(he does not,so hatred to him goes directly to the writers).So,with rivals,we're stuck with a version of Silver that will never see the light,a hyperactive child,some musician and a plot device.I hope they make Trip less of a jerk.Of course,they've got a while for that,seeing as how he's only appeared in like a few eps

RocketTwurpSLR

pokemonmaniacSLR
right as you say, that he may have realesed chimchar, but i dont think he abandoned it on purpose

i rekon because he released it i think he knew it will be better in ash's hands
so i think this is a way he did it withhout making him loking like a good guy

i think the writers write his story realy brilliant.

Cataquack Warrior

Paul had no concern for Chimchar's future. I saw the episode, and it's clear that he simply wished to release it and leave without any concern for what Chimchar would do next. Chimchar was just lucky that Ash and the party showed up in time to witness the abandonment; otherwise, Chimchar would have been all alone. Though Chimchar might have ended up with Team Rocket still, given that they moved in right after Paul left; that alternate reality would probably make a good story.

RocketTwurpSLR

pokemonmaniacSLR
Paul had no concern for Chimchar's future. I saw the episode, and it's clear that he simply wished to release it and leave without any concern for what Chimchar would do next. Chimchar was just lucky that Ash and the party showed up in time to witness the abandonment; otherwise, Chimchar would have been all alone. Though Chimchar might have ended up with Team Rocket still, given that they moved in right after Paul left; that alternate reality would probably make a good story.

i would watch the episode again just to proove my theory, its intersting but its probably a good explanatoin, paul did use the counter shileld in the sinnoh league against ash at least--so this could of been a starting point
(i think the writers made ash but in on purpose to make it look like he was abusing chimchar but acctually trying the counter shield)

-ash uses counter shield in the tag tournament
-paul gets inspired and try it out
-ash buts in think he is abusing it and being sarcastic
-fails CS with chimchar and releases it
-ash gains it
3 seasons later-----
--paul uses the counter shield stratergy in the sinnoh league

i made a vid on this somewhere!

so thats my theory

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
The Ash/Paul rivalry was about mutual respect, or the lack thereof. The rivalry ended with both trainers respecting one another and understanding that the others method could be effective at raising strong Pokemon. This was shown by Paul acknowledging that Infernape was very strong, and telling Ash it was a great battle. Paul also acknowledged that his training methods wouldn't have worked very well if he'd kept Chimchar, and that going to Ash was the best thing for it.

Paul left with a new attitude that didn't drastically alter his personality to the extreme that it seems like he's a different person, but still had a more postive outlook on training and his Pokemon.

Seems like it got good closure to me.

Cataquack Warrior

My main problem is that, while releasing Pokemon is acceptable in the games, it is emphasized as a consensual deal in the anime. Pokemon are usually released because they want other things besides the life with their trainer, and the trainer allows them to follow their dreams. Trainers that abandon their Pokemon, with their Pokemon having no choice in the matter, are consistently portrayed as immoral. Paul on the other hand breaks this trend, as he releases his Pokemon with no concern for their future. It irks me that in the end his method is simply viewed as another style of training. There are pieces of Paul's strategy that I admire, but I cannot condone his callous attitude towards his Pokemon.

Commander L. Halsti

Toxin Squad Cmdr.
Paul is a good battle strategist, but extremely harsh on his Pokemon. It is a true hell for any Pokemon he possesses.

AmusedMilk

Oh, hey, Big Zam!
Paul is just a strict Trainer who has no time for slackers. He believes that receiving praise makes you soft, not performing up to task makes you expendable, and constant failure deserves no encouragement. He isn't here to baby you or be your friend. Either you get on board or get out of the way.
I guess Paul=Competitive battler.
Ash=Casual

Sapphire Kirby

Evaluation time!
(i think the writers made ash but in on purpose to make it look like he was abusing chimchar but acctually trying the counter shield)

-ash uses counter shield in the tag tournament
-paul gets inspired and try it out
-ash buts in think he is abusing it and being sarcastic
-fails CS with chimchar and releases it
-ash gains it
3 seasons later-----
--paul uses the counter shield stratergy in the sinnoh league

i made a vid on this somewhere!

so thats my theory

If memory serves, Ash created his Counter Sheild technique to defeat Fantina's sleep statigies, which occurs after the Tag Battle Tournament. Even still, Paul doesn't need to use four attacks at once to test the Counter Sheild.

Now some people really like Paul. I can live with that; everyone is entitled to their oppinions. I just feel that a trainer who causes psychological damage to a Pokemon and not care for its wellbeing shouldn't be hailed as perfect. That a trainer who ignores the medical oppinions of a licensed health professional shouldn't be seen as the ideal trainer. To abandon someone who you worked with for a long time without a word or reason shouldn't be a crowning moment of awesome.

This is how I feel about the topic.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
The only problem with the Paul/Chimchar relationship is that that specific Chimchar was not a Pokemon suited for him. He was an Ash Pokemon. A Pokemon who wanted friendship and to have fun fighting in battles. He just so happened to be a very powerful Pokemon too. But because of his personality clashing with Paul's, it's power couldnt be tapped into by someone like him. His other Pokemon are perfectly fine with him. In fact they were actually seen as being happy when they were at their home.

And he did learn his lesson. That Ash's method is no worse, yet no greater than his own. Equal footing, respect etc..The goal wasnt to convert Paul, but to show him that his way isnt the only one.

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The subtle change in Paul's behavior and/or acceptance of Ash is why the writing in DP was good.

They didn't completely change his goal like they did with Gary, he left with mutual respect.

Astral Arrow

I'm of two minds about Paul. On the one hand, I agree that his methods actually worked with certain kinds of Pokemon. However, there is no doubt that Paul was, without a doubt, abusive, or could be in certain situations. And no, he never actually physically HIT Chimchar, or any of his Pokemon, but that's like saying abuse is limited to physical damage; psychological and emotional torment can sometimes be a thousand times more damaging than physical pain. The reason Chimchar didn't last is because, as has been pointed out, he wasn't suited for that type of training, whereas the others who made it so far (Torterra, Electivire, etc) were perfectly suited for that and RESPECTED Paul's intensive drive and strenuous training measures. They wanted to be the best like him, and were willing to bleed for it. Chimchar couldn't.

I think the fact that Paul didn't change much is what made him better. I really dislike how Gary had changed because you have a one in a million shot of that happening with actual people. Paul's story/personality seem more realistic when he's kept the same way.

I think it kind of teaches that you can't always change people, for better or worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.