• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PB88's Battle Frontier Tips and Tricks

What do you think of it?

• Horrible! PB88 Sucks!!!!!1!!!1337!!

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • Not great, but it's all right.

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Average, Nothing super special.

Votes: 19 6.3%
  • Pretty good. He knows what he's talking about.

Votes: 71 23.6%
  • Awesome! It's really helpful!

Votes: 124 41.2%
  • It's the best guide I've ever read!

Votes: 71 23.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Powerful_Blaziken88

PB88's Battle Frontier Tips and Tricks
Version 4

This is my first attempt at something like this, if you see something wrong (either an error or a tip that isn't helpful) point it out nicely instead of flaming please :p. If you have any suggestions for things I should add please post them and I will do my best with it.

This guide will hopefully explain in detail as much of the Battle Frontier as I know, from basics to mechanics. I will include strategies for those of you who desperately need help winning in there.

If anyone has any more ideas for section 3, please post them too.

Also, I had to break it down into 2 posts, the guide was too long. Sorry.

Copyright Information
Since my intentions with this guide were more oriented with getting the information out to as many people as possible, and not to feel pride in myself for my work, I grant anyone the permission to post this wherever you want, so long as you credit me for it. If I find it posted under someone else's name, I will take action. Other than that, feel free to use this guide in whatever way you please.

Version History:
Version 1: Made the guide
Version 2: Fixed some mistakes, and removed the Battle Factory pokémon links, since pokefor went down unfortunately.
Version 3: Nothing much, just added location of Legendary Top Pokémon Breeder.
Version 4: Lots of stuff! Haven’t updated in a while, and this will be my last update to this thing as my attention will be and is already shifting to the 4th generation.
-Inserted more precise information about: The move tutors, Battle Palace nature effects, the Battle Shop, and the Legendary Top Pokémon Breeder.
Everyone, please welcome the return of the Battle Factory Pokémon per round listings! After much searching I have found a credible source that I could use to bring this back into the guide!

CONTENTS:
1. The Basics
1.1: What is the Battle Frontier?
1.2: How do I get to the BF?
1.3: The Seven Facilities
1.4: Other Useful Places in the Frontier
1.5: What Are Symbols and how do I get them?
1.6: Who is the Apprentice?

2. Strategies
2.1: Battle Tower
A. single battle
B. Double Battle
C. Multi battle
D. Wireless Multi Battle
2.2: Battle Dome
2.3: Battle Palace
2.4: Battle Arena
2.5: Battle Factory
2.6: Battle Pike
2.7: Battle Pyramid
2.8: The Frontier Brains

3. Additional Tips
3.1: Quick ways to Earn Battle Points

4. Credits

1. The Basics
1.1: What is the Battle Frontier?

The Battle Frontier is a place in Hoenn new to Pokémon Emerald. It includes 7 different places of battle, each of them having their own different challenge.

1.2: How Do I Get To The BF?

It's pretty simple. You need to defeat the elite 4. After you get the S.S. Ticket, choose your Lati and get the National Dex, go to either Slateport or Lilycove, and board the ship. Slateport/Lilycove will be the only option, but don't worry. As soon as you board, Scott will tell you to go to the Battle Frontier. If you want to fight the trainers and get the items on the ship, go ahead, although if you're like me I was in a rush to finally reach the Frontier :p. Anyway, go to your cabin and rest in your bed, then get off the ship. Go on again, and this time you'll see that there are two options: Slateport/Lilycove (whichever you're currently not in), and Battle Frontier. Obviously, we're going to select Battle Frontier, since that's what I'm here to help you with. You don't get to actually stay on the ship, it'll just automatically transport you there. But since we want to go to the Frontier that's a good thing :p. Anyway, a few seconds later you'll hear the triumphant and happy sounding music (XD) we have arrived at the Battle Frontier! Go into the building just above you and you'll get your Frontier Pass. After that, go out the other side, and you're in the main area of the Frontier! We made it! :)

1.3: The Seven Facilities

So you've made it to the Battle Frontier, and you're wondering "so what do I do here?" Well I'm about to tell you... :p

Well, like I said in section 1.1, there are seven different places of battle in the Frontier (more commonly known as the seven facilities). I'll give a quick rundown of each one now. Scroll to section 2 for more in-depth information. If you're having trouble finding the facility you're looking for, use the map installed on your Frontier Pass.

General Information:
All Battle Frontier areas have 2 "level modes" lv.50 or open level. In the level 50 challenge, all opponents' pokémon will be at level 50, and you may not use any pokémon over that level. The open level mode allows you to use pokémon of any level, and your opponents' pokémon match the level of your highest levelled participating pokémon. For example, if you're using a Lv.75 Magneton, a Lv.73 Salamence and a Lv.80 Tyranitar, all opponents' pokémon will be level 80. That person might want to consider raising their Magneton and Salamence a little to match the level of Tyranitar.
In the Battle Frontier, there are certain pokémon that are banned from participating in the Frontier, for understandable reasons. These are:
  • Mewtwo
  • Mew
  • Lugia
  • Ho-Oh
  • Celebi
  • Kyogre
  • Groudon
  • Rayquaza
  • Jirachi
  • Deoxys
  • and of course, eggs. o_o
Also, no two pokémon may be the same species, or be holding the same item. For instance, you can't enter 2 Raikou, or you can't enter both a Blissey and a Skarmory holding leftovers. Also, items cannot be used from the bag. No hyper potion when your health gets low. Only hold items may be used. Battle pyramid does not follow this rule, however you get a different bag and you only get items from within the pyramid. How you get them (pickup, find them on the ground, trick/thief) doesn't matter, but only items found in the pyramid can be used there. Also they don't appear in your normal bag when you exit.

Now I'll go over each facility one by one and explain the basic aspects of them.

Battle Tower: This is the huge building up and to the right from the Pokémon Centre. This is standard battling basically.
Pick the number of required pokémon and battle 7 trainers (or sets of trainers if this is multi battle [just getting technical]). You get healed after every battle. It starts off really easy, and gets harder the more rounds in a row you win. Also the higher your win streak gets the more battle points you earn. If you lose or shut the game off during a challenge, your win streak goes back down to 0, and you have to start over again from 1. That means all the weak trainers appear again, and less battle points are earned until you get past the first couple of rounds again. Joy. Note: saving after winning a challenge and then turning the game off and playing later does not reset the win streak, neither does leaving the building or even the Frontier.

Battle Dome: This is the building that's more off to the left, but not the one close to the place where you got your Frontier Pass (that one's the Battle Factory). These are actual tournaments with 16 people.
You select 3 pokémon no matter whether you pick single battle or double battle, and enter. Before the battle, you're allowed to see what your opponent's pokémon are as well as other info on them. When you're ready to battle, select 2 of the 3 pokémon you originally selected (don't panic, your opponent only uses 2 as well). You're then taken to an arena and you fight. The rest works similar to the battle Tower, except you only need to defeat 4 trainers per round rather than 7 (which makes the Dome the oddball facility of the Frontier). The Number of Battle Points earned also doesn't increase as quickly as it does for the Tower. The Tower is the only one who's battle points raises every challenge. I love that, by the way. Makes it easy to get BP. :p

Battle Palace: This is the building you'll find if you basically go straight right from the Pokémon Centre, past the little houses. This place is different.
You pick 3 pokémon and fight 7 trainers, seems normal so far...
Until you click "fight" after sending out a pokémon. Huh? What happened! I didn't get to pick my move! Well that's the catch. You can't select what move your pokémon uses. They pick it themselves (don't worry, the opponents' have to follow the same rule.) You need luck to win here. Other than that, it's all the same as the tower, except the battle points. They don't increase as often, but you at least start off getting more than 1. Also there's no multi battle mode. Only Tower has that luxury. :p

Battle Arena: This building's kind of in a funny spot, if you ask me. You need to go a lot to the right and a lot up from the Pokécentre. I can't explain it any better, thanks to my visual impairment :p. Anyway, use your Frontier Pass's map of the facilities to find it. This place isn't too different.
When you walk in, the first thing you'll notice (besides the strange music :p) is that there's only 1 receptionist. There are only single battles offered here. Anyway, you pick 3 pokes and battle 7 trainers, sound familiar? Anyway, The only difference from regular battles is if you do not knock out your opponent in 3 turns, or get knocked out yourself. If this is the case, you're judged on the way you battle. Whichever pokémon is voted against automatically faints. The easiest way to win is to stay on the offensive and try not to lose too much HP. If you directly attack more often than your opponent, you're more likely to win. I'll explain why in section 2.4. The rest is the usual.

Battle Factory: This is the building closest to the entrance. This is my favourite facility.
The first thing you'll notice (besides the disco-ish music [I just had to say that]) is that when you talk to a receptionist and select your level mode, you don't get to use your own pokémon! Well, that's the thing that makes this place unique. You're given Frontier pokémon to use. You're given a team of 6, you need to pick 3. It's best to pick pokémon of different types and roles. For example, don't pick a Golem and a Rhydon. That's just stupid. Also, don't pick a Rhydon, Machamp, and Nidoking. You have 3 physical sweepers there. What happens if a Skarmory shows up? You're screwed! (the above are just random examples).
Before each battle, you're given some information about your opponent. Not as much as the Dome, but at least it's some. You're given which type they have most of if any, and their general strategy (I'll explain the different messages later). After a battle, you're given the opportunity to trade one of your rental pokémon for one of the pokémon the trainer that you just beat had. That way, if your starting team wasn't all that good, or you need something to help you against the next trainer, you can improve your team accordingly. For example, say your next opponent has mostly fire types, and you have a Sceptile, Heracross and Glalie (which isn't a bad team except for the fire problem), and your last opponent had a Vaporeon, you can swap for it so you don't get totally fried in the next battle.
Depending on which level mode you play, and your streak, you'll have a certain possibility of selections for rentals.
Other than the rentals and the swaps, however, the rest is all the same as usual.

Battle Pike: This is a little up and left from the pokémon centre. This place is strange.
You select 3 pokémon and enter. However, it's not regular battling you're doing here. This is simply a test of luck.
You're brought to a room with 3 doors, each leading to a different room. You need to pick one, and a random thing will happen. You might end up facing a single battle, you may end up in a room full of wild pokémon. You might enter a room where you face a double battle, or you may just find an empty room. The object is to get through 7 of these rooms without losing all of your pokémon.
There is a lady standing between the centre and right room who, if you say yes to her question, will give you one hint about one of the rooms. I'll explain the different messages in 2.6.

Battle Pyramid. This building is far off to the right. This place is different from the rest of the places.
You enter with 3 pokémon. WTF? My Salamence with choice band can't be entered! Why? Because you may not enter pokémon with hold items. You can, however, find some on the ground in the pyramid. Anyway, once you take the items off the pokémon you want and enter them, you appear on the 1st floor of a large pyramid, in which you must climb 7 floors. However, it's not simply climbing 6 flights of stairs. You need to search through the mazes to find the warp spot in order to progress. It's also really dark at first (no, flash doesn't work).
So now you're saying, "that's easy, once I get used to it I'll be able to climb with ease." Nope. There are wild pokémon and trainers flooding the place. The wild pokémon will be at really high levels, and they are harder to run from than regular wild pokémon. They also have custom attacks. For example, there's a Minun that knows thunderbolt. The wild pokémon usually pack status attacks like Poisonpowder and Thunder Wave. The trainers aren't as much of a problem. In the first couple of rounds they carry weak pokémon and they only have 1 pokémon each.
Whenever you defeat a wild pokémon or a trainer, you get more light (kind of like Brawley's gym). However, the light resets to the minimum whenever you enter a new floor.
If you talk to a trainer after you defeat him or her, he/she will give you a hint about the floor you're on. Sometimes it's which direction the exit is in, sometimes it's how many trainers are left, sometimes it's how many items are left. Use this to your advantage.

1.4: Other Useful Places in the Frontier

Ok, there are other uses of the Frontier other than battling, although the battling is the main part.
Also, please excuse me if I don't have the "correct" names for these people. Post them and I'll update.

Battle Shop: This building is down a little from the Battle Tower. Here you can trade your hard-earned battle points for items. The two on the left sell secret base items new to and only available in Emerald, the middle-right one sells vitamins at an extremely cheap 1BP, while the right person sells hold items.

Left person:
Kiss Poster - 16BP
Kiss Cushion - 32BP
Smoochum Doll - 32BP
Togepi Doll - 48BP
Meowth Doll - 48BP
Clefairy Doll - 48BP
Ditto Doll - 48BP
Cyndaquil Doll - 80BP
Chikorita Doll - 80BP
Totodile Doll - 80BP

Middle-left person:
Lapras Doll - 128BP
Snorlax Doll - 128BP
Venusaur Doll - 256BP
Charizard Doll - 256BP
Blastoise Doll - 256BP

Middle-right person:
Protein - 1BP
Calcium - 1BP
Iron - 1BP
Zinc - 1BP
Carbos - 1BP
HP Up - 1BP

Right person:
Leftovers - 48BP
White Herb - 48BP
Quick Claw - 48BP
Mental Herb - 48BP
Brightpowder - 64BP
Choice Band - 64BP
King’s Rock - 64BP
Focus Band - 64BP
Scope Lens - 64BP

Move Tutors: they are located in a house to the left of the Battle Dome. They aren't like the move tutors you find dotted around Hoenn. They offer 20 different moves, for battle points. You can use them infinite times. They are predominantly old TMs from R/B/Y/G/S/C. Here is a list of the attacks they teach, along with their price and a basic description of what they do (visit the site’s Attackdex to find out in-depth information):

Left tutor:
Softboiled - 16 BP - Restores half of your maximum HP.
Seismic Toss - 24 BP - inflicts damage identical to your Pokémon’s level.
Dream Eater - 24 BP - A strong psychic move that gives you ½ the damage done, only works on sleeping opponents.
Mega Punch - 24 BP - A normal type move that deals damage.
Mega Kick - 24 BP - A normal type move that deals more damage than Mega Punch but is lesss accurate.
Body Slam - 48 BP - A strong normal-type move with a 30% chance of paralyzing your opponent.
Rock Slide - 48 BP - A strong rock-type move that may flinch the opponent.
Counter - 48 BP - A move that always goes last and deals double the damage received from any physical attacks that turn.
Thunder Wave - 48 BP - A move that paralyzes the opponent.
Swords Dance - 48 BP - A useful move that sharply raises attack stat.

Right tutor:
Defense Curl - 16 BP - A move that increases your Pokémon’s defense and doubles the power of Rollout.
Snore - 24 BP - A weak normal-type move that can only be used while asleep.
Mud Slap - 24 BP - A very weak ground move that reduces foe’s accuracy.
Swift - 24 BP - A normal-type move that cannot miss unless foe isn’t on screen or is using protect or detect.
Icy Wind - 24 BP - A fairly weak ice-type attack that always lowers the foe’s speed.
Endure - 48 BP - A move that ensures the Pokémon does not faint in that turn, may fail if used in succession, does not stop passive damage.
Psych Up - 48 BP - A move that copies all the opponent’s stat modifications.
Ice Punch - 48 BP - A fairly strong ice attack that may freeze the foe. Good on special sweepers that can’t learn Ice Beam.
Thunder Punch - 48 BP - A fairly strong electric attack that may paralyze the foe. Good for special sweepers that can’t learn Thunderbolt.
Fire Punch - 48 BP - A fairly strong fire attack that may burn the foe. Good on special sweepers who can’t learn Flamethrower, although fire isn’t as good of an attacking type as the other two punches.

Betting Guy: he is in a house near the Battle Pyramid. After you obtain 3 symbols (which I'll explain in the next section), you can start going to him. What he does is he'll say he's looking for a trainer who will be participating in a certain frontier area (he'll also say which mode e.g. single battle, double battle, etc). He'll then ask you if you are going there. Say yes and he'll ask you to spot him some battle points. Say yes and you select how many BP you want to bet him (5, 10 or 15). You don't have to go to the said place right away, but when you do, you need to win on the first try (shutting the game off during a challenge counts as losing remember). If you win, go back to him and he'll give you double the BP you bet him. If you lose, he'll keep your battle points and they're gone. Each day he switches what Frontier area he wants you to compete in. So if one day he wants you to go to an area you excel at, bet him a lot of times that day, and don't wait too long, for at midnight on your game he'll switch.

Trading Guy: He is in a house to the left of the Battle Tower. What he wants is for you to trade him a Skitty for a Meowth. If you want one go for it. Nothing much else to say.

Scott's House: this place is to the left of the trading guy's house. Scott will give you 5 different things when different events occur. Here's a list of them:
  • First time talking to him: 2 or 3 BP (it's random)
  • Collect all silver symbols: Lansat Berry
  • Get a 50 battle win streak in the Battle Tower: Silver Shield.
  • Collect all gold symbols: Starf Berry
  • Get a 100 battle win streak at the Battle Tower: Gold Shield.

Pokémon "mind reader" (as I like to call her): she's in a house to the left of the Battle Palace. Basically, she tells you the general strategy of your pokémon's battling in the Palace. It’s useful to anyone without Internet capabilities, but I’ve got more precise percentages in section 2.3, so just ignore this person unless you really want to read the messages.

Legendary Top Pokémon Breeder: He's in the building directly above the Pokémon center, and in that building he sits on a chair in the southwest side of the room. You should see him immediately
upon entering that building. He'll give you certain messages depending on the IVs of your pokémon. Talk to him, select one, and read the messages. I’ll explain all of the messages here (thanks to Volteon of Serebii.net Forums for this part):

First message: all of your IVs added together
Sum of IV - comentary
0 to 90: I would describe as having being of average ability
91 to 120: I would as having a better-than-average ability
121 to 150: I would say is quite impressive in ability!
151 to 186: I would say is wonderfully outstanding in ability!

Next up, he tells you what stat has the highest IV, and another message telling you roughly what it is.

Second message: Value of highest IV
stat IV - comentary
0 to 15: that stat is relatively good.
16 to 25: that stat is quite impressive.
26 to 30: that stat is outstanding!
31: It´s flawless! a thing of perfection!

1.5: What are Symbols and How Do I Get Them?

Frontier Symbols are little symbols (duh) that appear on your Frontier Pass once you defeat a Frontier Brain. A Frontier Brain is the trainer in charge of a certain facility. There are 7 in total, which makes total sense since there are 7 battle facilities.
So now we know how to get the symbols. Question now is, how do we do what we need to do to get the symbols? Well, it's pretty simple (well, to understand at least. To do isn't quite the same in some instances). What you have to do is get a certain win streak in the facility you're playing. Once you reach the required streak, you'll be notified that the Frontier Brain wishes to challenge you. Right after, the frontier brain will approach you (except for the Pike and Pyramid, but that's simply due to the way the actual facility works). The first time you encounter them they will talk a lot, other times they won't. Anyway, after some dialogue, they challenge you. You need to beat them to get the symbol. BTW, For the 4 facilities that have other modes, you can only face them in the 1 on 1 mode. No double battles against Frontier Brains.

Now I'll list the Brain for each place, as well as the required streaks for fighting each Frontier Brain. Note: win streaks provided are the amount of straight battles in which the Brain is actually battled on. For example, Factory Head Noland will appear after the 20th straight Factory battle, but the battle he actually battles you on is the 21st. I hope I explained that OK...
  • Battle Tower: Salon Maiden Anabel; Ability Symbol; Silver symbol 35th battle, gold symbol 70th battle.
  • Battle Dome: Dome Ace Tucker; Tactics Symbol; Silver symbol 20th battle, gold symbol 40th battle.
  • Battle Palace: Palace Maven Spenser; Spirits Symbol; Silver symbol 21st battle, gold symbol 42nd battle.
  • Battle Arena: Arena Tycoon Greta; Guts Symbol; Silver symbol 28th battle, gold symbol 56th battle.
  • Battle Factory: Factory Head Noland; Knowledge Symbol; Silver symbol 21st battle, gold symbol 42nd battle.
  • Battle Pike: Pike Queen Lucy; Luck Symbol; Silver symbol 28th room, gold symbol 140th room (note: each room counts as 2 for some reason, so as far as obstacles are concerned it's 14 and 70).
  • Battle Pyramid: Pyramid King Brandon; Brave Symbol; Silver symbol after 21st floor, gold symbol after 70th floor (note: You actually have to complete the 21th and 70th floor, unlike the rest of the facilities. Brandon is found on the summit of the pyramid when the streak is right.)

Note: if you get the silver symbol, lose and get back up to that spot, the Brain will not appear. However, after you obtain the gold symbol, They will appear in their silver spot with their silver teams, and in their gold spot with their gold team. Noland's pattern is interesting, as after every 3 rounds he'll appear, no matter the streak. So that means once the gold knowledge symbol is obtained, he'll appear on the 21st battle, 42th battle, 63rd battle, 94th battle, etc. If anyone knows if any other Frontier Brains appear after their gold symbol spot please tell me when and which team they use. Also you get an extra 10BP when you defeat a Frontier Brain. And a random side note: the Battle Frontier Brain battle music PWN's. :d

1.6: Who is the Apprentice?

The apprentice is a person located in the Battle Tower on the left side of the large counter with the 4 receptionists. Talk to him/her and they will ask you questions about what pokémon to raise, what attacks/items to give them, what level mode would be good for them and stuff like that. After you answer all of their questions and they finally ask you what to say when they defeat a trainer, they will start appearing in the battle tower based on the answers you selected, and a new apprentice will appear in their place who'll ask you questions as well (probably different choices of pokémon though). The attacks their pokémon know are the wild pokémon's moves for level 60 (that's in the open level mode, I never play level 50 mode so if anyone has information about them for that mode please post) except for the ones you select. The top move will be a natural move, the bottom one a substitute move (usually a TM, HM or egg move). They will be assigned a certain "spot" in the Tower. In simpler terms, they'll always appear in a certain point in your streak, kind of like how Anabel appears always on the 35th and 70th battle. However, the apprentices are usually assigned lower spots. For example, I have an aroma lady who was assigned battle 8 as her spot, and a Black Belt who was assigned battle 4. Depending on what round that battle falls in, you'll then be able to determine when they can appear in the Battle Salon. That's right, you can do multi battle with them as a partner as well! However when you have multiple apprentices completed only 1 can appear at a time in the Salon so prepare for anything.

2. Strategies

Ok. This is where we go a little more in-depth in the different areas of the Frontier. I will explain in more detail how some things work, and strategies to overcome the challenges.

2.1: Battle Tower

Ok. Since the 4 modes of play are so different I've broken it down into 4 sections for each mode.

A. Single Battle

All right. This mode of play isn't too difficult, if you have any understanding of the basic battling elements you should be able to pull this off fairly easily as long as your pokémon are strong enough. There's not much advice I can offer really, it's all in knowledge of types, moves and such. Here's what I can offer:
  • Try not to have any more than 1 of the same type pokémon in your team of 3. It just leaves you weak to a certain type more. There are exceptions to this, usually regarding duel types. A good example would be Alakazam and Metagross on one team. These are both psychic types but Metagross's steel type cancels out all of the psychic type weaknesses so they don't have any of the same weaknesses. Also they excel in totally different stats and therefore, play different roles.
  • Try to start out with a pokémon that can usually pull off at least 1 successful KO most of the time. It's just easier that way as if you happen to send that pokémon out later, the opponent might have stat boosts and stuff which would make it less possible to use your best pokémon to it's full potential. Choice Banders are highly recommended as lead-off pokémon, as they can usually get a KO in really fast to anything except: Skarmory, Weezing, Steelix, Aggron (unless your CBer has EQ), Regirock, and other pokémon with really high phys. defense.
  • Try to balance out your team with pokémon playing different roles. For example, try to have a physical sweeper, special sweeper, and then someone who can take some hits, be it Curser, Toxicer/Will-O-Wisper, hazer, or a physical/special wall. Toxic/Thunder wave/Will-O-Wisp shufflers work as well. They're easier to use here, seeing how there are less pokémon to shuffle and less hits you need to take. Baton Passers also work.
  • Don't always try to predict what move your opponent will use. If you see a Skarmory use Agility and then steel wing, the next Skarmory might not do the same thing. There are 4 different Skarmories you could run into that have different sets, items and EVs.

B. Double Battle

This mode is also fairly simple, no huge tricks to it. Here's what I have to say:
  • Once again, make sure to balance your team with different types and roles. It's slightly easier here to cover everything since you're allowed 4 Pokémon.
  • Try to have some sort of structured double battle strategy and not just throwing random sweepers and attacking whoever is more effected by your strongest attacks. Chances are you'll get away with it for the first couple of rounds but by the time you hit round 4 or so you'll find yourself being KOed by more structured teams.
  • And try to imply everything else from the single battle tips.

Some useful strategies are:
  • Weather based teams - These work better in double battles than single battles. The faster pokémon uses sunny day/rain dance and the other one attacks, preferably the pokémon that poses the bigger threat. You need to have a balanced team that are all supported by this though, which is hard. If you can successfully make a good team with it you could go really far.
  • Hit all pokémon moves with partner who isn't affected - plain and simple, bring a CB Dugtrio and a flyer/Levitater and Duggie's Earthquake will hit both opponents and not your partner. Protect/EQ isn't as effective, since only 1 pokémon gets to attack. What happens if Duggie's partner is Zapdos, which covers other flying types that Duggie can't get? That's certainly more effective than having a pokémon using protect, especially when Duggie's got the CB. If protect fails your partner will probably be KOed unless it's got really high defense or resists EQ. Another popular one is ghost type+Explosion, although the EQ is more favoured since explosion faints the user, and there's the risk of your opponents using protect and you blowing your exploder while not doing much damage. (Note: Dugtrio and Zapdos were once again random examples)
  • Taking advantage of abilities - this is the one strategy where attacking your partner is beneficial. Bring say a non-fire type with a fire attack and a fire type with flash fire (you don't want 2 fire types out at once or EQ/Rock Slide/Surf will totally own you). Use the fire move on the pokémon with Flash Fire, and their fire attacks are powered up even more. Combine that with the sunny day strategy and that'll be quite deadly.
  • Skill Swap + Slaking - this is obvious. Have a pokémon use skill swap on Slaking when it's its partner, then Slaking will attack every time. You can use this in conjunction with the EQ strategy if Slaking knows EQ, which it should. Once your Skill Swapper has taken its truant turn, if it's still alive you can Skill Swap truant onto an opponent *he he he*.

C. Multi Battle

This mode is quite interesting. The strategy is a little different, since you don't know what kind of partners you may end up with.
Here are some tips:
  • All trainers in the Salon say which two pokémon they registered as well as one of each of their moves. Look for a partner who would work best alongside your pokémon. For example, if your lead pokémon has earthquake and your partner mentions a Skarmory first, he might be a good idea to choose.
  • If you really are having trouble winning in here, mix records with an experienced friend who's gone through the battle tower. He'll appear in the Salon starting from where he/she left off (I think they have to play the single battle mode but I'm not sure, more information about the mixing records thing would be highly appreciated).
  • And apply everything else from the double battle mode. Or at least as much as you can given the partner you select. Obviously things vary depending on what pokémon your partner has.

Please note that partners' strength match the average for the mode you're on. For example, you won't get a uberly strong partner in round 1 (save for the apprentice if you manage to create a uber strong one) and you won't face any uberly strong trainers near the beginning either. Note also that apprentices and friends from mix records will not appear as opponents, just partners, so you don't have to worry about facing a really strong opponent. And lastly note that both opponents will have about the same strength/ability level. For example, in round 2 you can find some really weak trainers and also some slightly better trainers. You'll probably never find a weaker one with a stronger one. Why? I have no idea. (Probably because the stronger trainers rejected the weak ones :p).

D. Wireless Multi Battle

There's not much I can say about this, everything strategy based is already covered. Just make sure you and your partner discuss what strategy and which pokémon to use before starting the challenge. I have no idea what determines the strength of the trainers here or how to increase it (anyone who knows please, please post it).

2.2: Battle Dome

Ok, time for some strategies on the Dome.

Picking your two pokémon:​
Sometimes it may be hard to select which pokémon of your 3 pokémon not to use. This is a problem when you have a balanced team and want to keep it that way with 2 pokémon. It's hard to balance out a team with just 2 pokémon. My suggestion is this: Register a team with the same structure as what I suggested for Battle Tower Single Battle. Before each battle, look at your opponent's 3 pokémon. Select your defensive pokémon and whatever sweeper would be more effective. For instance, if your next opponent has a team of Charizard, Flygon and Golem, it'd make more sense to pick your Starmie and Blissey than your Metagross and Blissey (Those are just random examples). However, for the first few rounds I suggest picking your 2 sweepers, simply because it'll get you through them faster. Since the pokémon aren't really the strongest and some aren't even fully evolved there is no point wasting time absorbing hits and toxicing your opponent, your two sweepers can get rid of them much faster. Once again I recommend turning to a more structured strategy at round 4 or so.
For the double battle mode, just use basic double battle strategies as listed above in the Tower section.

2.3: Battle Palace

Ok, this place requires a lot of luck and/or preparation.

Preparing your Palace team:​
The most important thing to keep in mind is their nature when selecting pokémon for this facility. For example, A modest natured Latios would do great in the other areas but here it wouldn't do good. Why? Because the nature affects what kinds of moves your pokémon uses, and modest natured pokémon don't like to attack much. However, if that Latios was timid nature instead, it'd attack way more often and therefore be better.
-Choice Banders are good choices to use in the Battle Palace. Since they use one move and stick to it, you know what attack it'll use. If you don't like what move it chose, you could just simply switch and bring it back out later. Just make sure your CBers are adamant nature. as jolly nature doesn't like to attack and really likes doing other stuff which CBers wouldn't have, thus causing them not to attack.
-Defensive sweepers are highly recommended as well. That way, if they don't use the right attacking move straight off, they can afford to take a couple of hits before they eventually use the right move. Examples of these are Tyranitar and Metagross (just don't keep them out against stuff that weaken them).
-Pokémon with few weaknesses are also strongly recommended. For example, the normal type has only 1 weakness (fighting), and the electric type only has 1 weakness (ground). Pokémon with type combinations with few weaknesses (Ludicolo being a good one) are also good.
-Pokémon with specific strategies (such as Subpunchers, Hazers/PHazers, Status Shufflers and spikers) are not recommended. Chances are they won't do the strategy right and will end up getting KOed without serving its purpose.

Nature Effects​
Natures dictate how the Pokémon will battle in the Battle Palace, as previously mentioned, and as you also already know, there is a person who tells you generally how that Pokémon battles there. However, as usual, the game refuses to give us exact percentages that easily. However, I’m here to get those percentages to you. (Thanks to Volteon again for this part). Keep in mind as well that once a Pokémon reaches below 50% of its maximum HP, its percentages will change. These changes are listed below as well.

The order: Nature; percentage to attack (damage); % to defend; % to support/ % to attack under 50% HP; % to defend under 50% HP; % to support under 50%HP

Hardy: 61% ;7% ;32% / 61%; 7%; 32%
Lonely: 20%; 25%; 55% / 84%; 8%; 8%
Brave: 70%; 15%; 15% / 32%; 60%; 8%
Adamant: 38%; 31%; 31% / 70%; 15%; 15%
Naughty: 20%; 70%; 10% / 70%; 22%; 8%
Bold: 30%; 20%; 50% / 32%; 58%; 10%
Docile: 56%; 22%; 22% / 56%; 22%; 22%
Relaxed: 25%; 15%; 60% / 75%; 15% 10%
Impish: 69%; 6%; 25% / 28%; 55%; 17%
Lax: 35%; 10%; 55% / 29%; 6%; 65%
Timid: 62%; 10%; 28% / 30%; 20%; 50%
Hasty: 18%; 37%; 45% / 88%; 6%; 6%
Serious: 34%; 11%; 55% / 29%; 11%; 60%
Jolly: 35%; 5%; 60% / 35%; 60%; 5%
Naive: 56%; 22%; 22% / 56%; 22%; 22%
Modest: 35%; 45%; 20% / 34%; 60%; 6%
Mild: 44%; 50%; 6% / 34%; 6%; 60%
Quiet: 56%; 22%; 22% / 56%; 22%; 22%
Bashful: 30%; 58%; 12% / 30%; 58%; 12%
Rash: 30%; 13%; 57% / 27%; 6%; 67%
Calm: 40%; 50%; 10% / 25%; 62%; 13%
Gentle: 18%; 70%; 12% / 90%; 5%; 5%
Sassy: 88%; 6%; 6% / 22%; 20%; 58%
Careful: 42%; 50%; 8% / 42%; 50%; 8%
Quirky: 56%; 22%; 22% / 56%; 22%; 22%

2.4: Battle Arena

The Battle Arena isn't all that complicated, but I'll explain the stuff that needs to be explained.

Judging:​
After a battle has lasted 3 turns without someone fainting, 3 aspects are judged. They are:
  • Mind: This is simple to understand. Whichever pokémon directly attacks more often is the winner of this judgement.
  • Skill: This isn't too hard to understand either. Whichever pokémon's moves were more effective wins this judgement.
  • Body: this isn't too hard to understand either. Whichever pokémon has more HP left compared to it's maximum HP wins this judgement.

Knowing this, you should be able to plan a good team. However, it's still better to avoid the judges ultimately, but if you can't then at least you have a better chance of being voted for.

Recommended types of pokémon:
  • Pokémon that can KO opponents easily - Try to have at least 2 of them on your team of 3.
  • Defensive pokémon with decent attacking abilities - You most likely won't KO them in 3 turns but if you have more of your HP left and attacked 3 times you're pretty much guaranteed at least a tie. Good examples of these include Night Shade Dusclops, Suicune and the Regis.

2.5: Battle Factory

Differences between Lv.50 and Open Level:​
Other than the stats of your pokémon, there is one more difference. The rental pokémon you have/face are different. In the lv.50 mode the pokémon start out much weaker than they do in the open level mode. BTW, all pokémon in the open level mode are on level 100.

Opponent’s Pokémon​
Depending on what round and level mode you’re in, different types of Pokémon will be available to you and your opponents. I’m going to tell you which round has which Pokémon available.

First off, the entire list can be found here..

Look in the table and find the numbers listed below, and you’ll know which Pokémon is available in which round.

Level 50:
Round 1: 110-199
Round 2: 162-266
Round 3: 267-371
Round 4: 371-467
Round 5: 468-563
Round 6: 564-659
Round 7: 660-755
Round 8+: 372-849

Open Level:
Round 1: 372-467
Round 2: 468-563
Round 3: 564-659
Round 4: 660-755
Round 5+: 372-881

Opponent's Strategy:​
As I said before, a message is given to you which indirectly tells you the general strategy of your next opponent. Well, I'm here to take the "in" out of "indirectly". Below is what each message means:

"The favorite battle style appears to..."
  • Be Based on Total Preparation - Opponent uses moves which increase their stats.
  • Depend on the Battle's Flow - Opponent uses attack Combinations, like Endure+Reversal or Spore+Focus Punch.
  • Be Flexibly Adaptable to the Situation - Opponent will use moves to change the weather conditions.
  • Be Free-Spirited and Unrestrained - Opponent uses no specific pattern of attack.
  • Be High Risk, High Return - Opponent uses moves that do lots of damage but also hurt themselves.
  • Be Impossible To Predict - Opponent will use many different strategies.
  • Be One of Endurance - Opponent will use moves which recover HP and defend themselves.
  • Be Slow and Steady - Opponent will use moves which inflict you with status conditions.
  • Be Weakening Foe from the Start - Opponent will use moves which lower your stats.

BTW, thanks to both Pokefor and Serebii for this, between both sites I managed to figure it out :p.

2.6: Battle Pike

Right, the strange, yet amusing Battle Pike.

Pokémon you should try to use:
  • Pokémon with the Natural Cure ability - When switched out they lose any status conditions. This is useful if you come in contact with a status condition room (I'll explain that soon).
  • Pokémon holding Lum Berry - Next Battle they're sent into their current status condition will be cured.

Other than that, just bring pokémon that can handle most pokémon thrown their way. Also, lead off with a fast pokémon so you don't have to worry about wild pokémon.

Hint Lady​
Before you pick which of the 3 doors, talk to the lady standing between the entrances of the centre and right rooms. She'll ask you whether you're having difficulty choosing your path. Say yes, and she'll give you a hint regarding one of the rooms. Below is a list of each message and what could happen if you pick that room.

"Ah, let me see, there is something about the path {path}..."
  • A trainer? I sense the presence of people - 75% chance of fighting a 3 on 3 single battle against a trainer, 25% of having your team fully healed.
  • I seem to have heard something, perhaps a whisper - 20% chance of fighting a double battle with trainers each holding 1 pokémon, 80% chance of finding an empty room which still counts for your room streak *yipee*.
  • It seems to have the distinct aroma of pokémon wafting around it - 25% you fight a stronger than usual (for the round) trainer in which you get fully healed afterwords, 75% chance you will end up in a room which you have to kind of zigzag through in which there are wild pokémon that get in your way.
  • For some odd reason, I felt a wave of nostalgia coming from it - 50% chance you'll enter a room where either a Dusclops or a Kirlia inflicts 1-3 of your pokémon with a random status condition, 50% chance you enter a room where someone heals 1 or 2 of your pokémon.
  • I'm sorry to say, but a terrifying event, yes a horrible one, is about to befall you. I urge you to pay the utmost care and prepare for the worst from every path. I sense a dreadful presence - A random number of pokémon are healed (0 is a possibility), and then Pike Queen Lucy approaches and challenges you.

2.7: Battle Pyramid

Ok, the last and probably most difficult facility.

Useful Pokémon​
Unlike the other facilities, the pokémon that are useful really depends on the round you're in. The wild pokémon are the main problem causers here, thus you need to bring along pokémon to easily cover them as well as good pokémon to fight the trainers with. It's best to bring along 2 good pokémon who can fend off the wild pokémon easily, and 1 pokémon to get rid of the trainers. For example, for round 1, I brought: Flygon, Latias, Slaking. Flygon blocks all attempts at T-Waves and KOs the electric types with earthquake. Latias takes care of the grass types later since the only 2 are weak to psychic. Slaking can ohko the trainers' pokémon really fast since they're weak in round 1. Now I'll go over what's useful to bring for the first few rounds. Some rounds the wild pokémon are random and you just need to bring your best sweepers that can cover anything. And to those looking to run away with the run away ability, It ain't gonna happen. It doesn't work in the pyramid. Why? Don't ask me.

Useful Pokémon for the pyramid per round:
  • Round 1: Bring a ground type to deal with early electrics, as well as something to deal with the grass types (a psychic, fire or flying will do [note this one needs to be fast and be able to ohko.]). Since the trainers should be easy, if you want to use a pickup pokémon to get some extra items, now's the time.
  • Round 2: Just bring a Steel type. I used Metagross. The other 2 can be used for combatting trainers. Pickup would also be good here as well.
  • Round 3: I'd suggest a quick fire type with earthquake, as well as a quick water type. The fire type can get rid of the fire typed opponents while having no risk of being burned, and the water typed pokémon is to ohko the fire types quickly. Typhlosion and Starmie wouldn't be a bad combo for this. For your last pokémon, I'd suggest something to help you beat Brandon, since this is the round he first appears in.
  • Round 4: This one's harder to prepare for, since the challenge isn't just a type. Did you manage to find a choice band? If so, attach it to a strong and quick physical sweeper (Salamence, Flygon, Zangoose...) and make sure it has a variety of different typed moves so you can prepare for anything. Oh and make sure you have something to deal with Shedinja.
  • Round 5: Don't use any avid EQ users. No pokémon here is affected by it. Most of them will go down to a quick shadow ball from something. As for Weezing and Flygon, try bringing that same Starmie again.
  • Round 6: All I can suggest is: Bring some quick pokémon of the flying type, or with the levitate ability. Wobbuffet and Wynaut will still cause trouble, but the rest you should be able to beat easily, since their earthquake won't work. However, be wary of rock slide if you're using Flyers. Flygon would tear them a new one.
  • Round 7: Bring a fast pokémon with a strong fire attack, like a Charizard or Typhlosion. These are all ice types. Bring some electric too since there are some that are part water.
  • Round 8: Bring some ghost types, since some of them will end their life with exploding moves. Other than that, just bring your best sweepers.
  • Round 9: Bring a strong dark typed pokémon. All wild pokémon are psychic types. Make sure one of your dark types has crunch and is up first, so that you can fend off Wobbuffet.
  • Round 10: I'd suggest something that can whip rock type's butts, like a quick water type. The other 2 I'd suggest to be different types so you can beat other trainers and of course, Brandon.

Other useful Pokémon:
  • Pokémon with Natural Cure ability - They have their status condition removed while switching out, pretty handy.
  • Pokémon with Softboiled/Milk drink - It can heal up it's team members.
  • Pokémon with Intimidate, Keen Eye, Stench, etc abilities - Can make wild pokémon less common

Last edited:

Powerful_Blaziken88

2.8: The Frontier Brains

Right. In this section, you will find the teams of each Frontier Brain, their movesets, and ways to beat them. This section may be a little long.

Salon Maiden Anabel​
Silver team:
Alakazam
Item: Brightpowder
Moves: Thunderpunch, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Disable

Entei
Item: Lum Berry
Moves: Fire Blast, Calm Mind, Return, Roar

Snorlax
Item: Quick Claw
Moves: Body Slam, Bellydrum, Yawn, Shadow Ball

Strategy:
Anabel can be a little difficult if you Don't know what you're doing. The first thing you should watch out for are the hax items (Alakazam's Brightpowder and Snorlax's Quick Claw). Next, be careful and don't let Entei use calm mind too much (or at least if it does use it take it down with a physical sweeper with Earthquake). Also don't try to waste your time inflicting statuses on it, it has a Lum Berry. Lastly Don't think it's all the advantage if Snorlax uses Bellydrum. Although it halves its HP and doesn't have rest to correct it, It's quick claw could activate at the wrong time and KO your best pokémon in one move. Always be careful when combatting Snorlax. Alakazam is quite the joke. Although it does have high special attack and speed and the 3 elemental punches, it lacks psychic which is an Alakazam's strongest possible attacking move (as far as special attacks are concerned, of course).
As for actually taking Anabel down, I'd suggest an all-rounded team. a good Choice Bander should be able to deal with Entei and Snorlax. Snorlax's defense isn't all that great, and one of the following will be likely to happen:
  • You'll attack first, do half/more than half damage and Bellydrum will fail.
  • Its Quick Claw will activate and it'll use Bellydrum, and you'll attack KOing it.
  • Or of course, it might be stupid and attack without powering up.
As for Alakazam, I'd suggest anything that can sweep that doesn't take huge damage from the elemental punches. For example, I usually take it out with Porygon2. Raikou, Entei, Tyranitar, and even things like Hariama will work. Pathetic Alakazam, huh? :p Just watch out for disable and the Brightpowder.

Gold team:
Raikou
Moves: Thunderbolt, Calm Mind, Reflect, Rest

Latios
Moves: Psychic, Recover, Calm Mind, Dragon Claw

Snorlax
Item: Chesto Berry
Moves: Curse, Return, Rest, Shadow Ball

Strategy:
This battle's way harder, although still not too bad. I did it with only losing 1 pokémon. Raikou can go down to any ground type. Even a Trappinch o_o could beat it, because it has broken the law of electric pokémon that says an electric needs a backup move for ground. Since it doesn't have it, Any ground type can relentlessly pummel it. Latios may be a problem, but it has its weaknesses. Blissey stops it dead in its tracks. So does Regice and Snorlax. A Skarmory can hold it back until it calm minds a lot since it doesn't have anything effective against it, same with Forretress (although Skarm's at least got some Sp. Def). Snorlax could be a pain in the *** to kill. It'll use curse to power up it's attack and defense at the price of speed, which it doesn't use. It'll also rest off any damage taken during its cursing by a Chesto Rest. For taking down Snorlax, I'd suggest a nice sporepunch combo from a Breloom. Alternatively, CB Medicham or Heracross, or any strong fighting type will work. Personally, I got lucky in the sense that it used return on my Blaziken when I endured, but don't rely on that too much.

Dome Ace Tucker​
Silver team:
Swampert
Item: Focus Band
Moves: Surf, Earthquake, Ice Beam, Counter

Salamence
Moves: Earthquake, Brick Break, Dragon Claw, Aerial Ace

Charizard
Item: White Herb
Moves: Overheat, Rock Slide, Aerial Ace, Earthquake

Strategy:
The hardest part of this battle is predicting which 2 pokémon he'll use, and in which order. Unlike the other Frontier Brains, he doesn't have to start with the first pokémon on the list (Swampert). You need to look at your team, predict what you'd do in his situation, and pick your team accordingly. If you're bad at prediction, just pick 2 strong sweepers with a variety of moves, preferably one special and one physical. Just note that both Charizard and Salamence are weak to rock (Charizard is 4× weak to it). Also, don't attack Swampert with physical attacks, it may retaliate with counter which isn't good. Don't even do it if you're sure the attack will KO it, its focus band may activate and it may not. Of course, I'm the one to talk, having KOed it with a HBing Slaking Myself. :p I guess I don't even follow my own tips. o_o

Gold team:
Swampert
Item: Leftovers
Moves: Surf, Earthquake, Ice Beam, Mirror Coat

Metagross
Moves: Psychic, Meteor Mash, Earthquake, Protect

Latias
Moves: Thunderbolt, Psychic, Calm Mind, Rest

Strategy:
Again, the challenge is all in predicting what pokémon he'll use. However, this time his pokémon actually pack some power, namely Metagross (It has absolute maximum possible attack, just so you know). Latias could also be a problem if you let it Calm Mind too much.
Well, last time I told you not to use physical attacks on Swampert, remember? Well this time I'm telling you not to use special attacks. Swampert's moveset remains the same except for the fact he's swapped Counter with Mirror Coat. However, feel free to use grass attacks on it, It has leftovers instead of focus band now. Speaking of grass attacks, A Sceptile with leaf blade and Crunch could damage this team pretty bad, especially if he doesn't pick Metagross (but he almost always does). Latias'll die to a couple of Crunches, Swampert to a Leaf Blade. Just make sure your EVs are something along the lines of: 252 speed, 252 Sp. Atk, 6 HP/defense/Sp. Def. For taking down Metagross, I'd suggest something that can get a supereffective hit on it which can survive one of its attacks if it needs to. Charizard and Moltres come to mind when I think of this. Although Charizard's defense sucks it's only physical attacking move that actually hits it is Meteor Mash, which isn't very effective. Psychic might do some damage but Metagross has no Sp. Atk EVs so it's not a threat. Also Metagross's base Sp. Atk is way lower.

Palace Maven Spenser​
Silver team:
Crobat
Moves: Confuse Ray, Double Team, Toxic, Fly

Slaking
Item: Scope Lens
Moves: Earthquake, Swagger, Shadow Ball, Brick Break

Lapras
Moves: Ice Beam, Horn Drill, Confuse Ray, Protect.

Strategy:
This guy is a ***. He uses only hax items, and he's just so annoying to beat simply because you can't choose your moves. Here's what I can offer:
-Try, as always, to have a balanced team.
-Try to have pokémon with natures that will help them attack the most. If you hit this guy enough
successfully he should go down despite him having fairly defensive pokémon.
-Try to have a physical sweeper equipped with Persim Berry. The idea is to take benefit from Slaking's Swagger. After the powered up pokémon takes out Slaking, whatever's left should also fall.
-And finally, be extremely careful of Lapras's horn drill. It rarely hits but no one knows when it will and it could happen with Quick Claw. Try to have at least something with the Sturdy ability who doesn't take huge damage from Ice Beam (Aggron might help, since he's good against Crobat too).

Gold team:
Arcanine
Item: White Herb
Moves: Overheat, Extremespeed, Roar, Protect.

Slaking
Moves: Hyper Beam, Earthquake, Shadow Ball, Yawn

Suicune
Item: King's Rock
Moves: Blizzard, Surf, Bite, Calm Mind

Strategy:
Well at least his Arcanine doesn't have a hax item. :p Anyway, This guy could be hell if you aren't prepared. I'd suggest your first pokémon to be a special wall that can take an overheat. Snorlax would be nice, but there's a chance Arcanine might have Intimidate ability. Vaporeon and Suicune are good ideas. Be extremely careful around Slaking. It may use Hyper Beam which, coming from a Slaking, does huge damage and will probably OHKO anything not designed to take a physical hit. Therefore, Something like Skarmory could stop Slaking in its tracks. Just make sure your Skarmory has a role it would be able to play properly not knowing what to use. No we don't want roar, We don't want him bringing out Suicune and forcing us to run. Suicune won't be as big of a problem as you might think. It has a nature that hinders its defense iirc and its only real good attacking move is surf. Something like a Sceptile (with timid nature not modest) might be able to do some damage. Alternatively, you could try outstalling it with something like Blissey, or try to Pick on it's lowered defense with a Snorlax. You could try Boltbeaming it with a Regice, although Suicune does know Calm Mind. This battle, like the silver one, is based a lot on luck and knowledge.

Arena Tycoon Greta​
Silver team:
Heracross
Item: Salac Berry
Moves: Megahorn, Rock Tomb, Endure, Reversal

Umbreon
Moves: Body Slam, Confuse Ray, Psychic, Faint Attack

Shedinja
Moves: Shadow Ball, Return, Confuse Ray, Aerial Ace

Strategy:
The order of your pokémon is really the only challenge. Greta's not too hard to beat if you order your pokémon correctly.
But, here's some advice. Have a Skarmory with Drill Peck and Spikes as 2 of its moves, holding a Persim Berry. This can screw Greta's whole team. Use Spikes the first turn while Heracross is out, then discard it with Drill Peck. The Persim Berry is for Umbreon so Skarmory can get a definite extra turn to attack and have a good chance of at least tying with Umbreon for the judging. Shedinja will just die to spikes.
Failing Skarmory, Use a ghost type for Heracross, then a fighting typed CBer for Umbreon, then something that can hit Shedinja (remember, only super effective or status inflicting moves can hit it).

Gold team:
Umbreon
Moves: Double-Edge, Confuse Ray, Rest, Psychic

Gengar
Moves: Psychic, Hypnosis, Dream Eater, Destiny Bond

Breloom
Moves: Spore, Focus Punch, Giga Drain, Headbut

Strategy:
Once again, it's the order of the pokémon that matters most. Once again, here's a quick way to beat her:
First up use a fighting type Choice Bander (same one as last time will do). Now you may be thinking "but Gengar'll come out and you're screwed" well I'm not finished. Let Gengar kill the CBer for all we care, we don't need it anymore. Next up have an Alakazam. Alakazam used psychic! It's super effective! Gengar fainted! Arena Tycoon Greta sent out Breloom! Alakazam used Psychic! It's super effective! Breloom fainted! There you go.

Factory Head Noland​
Actually, Noland has random pokémon just like everyone else in the factory, so I can't really say anything except: Know your types and move combos, as well as useful/useless moves. This is the knowledge symbol, after all. :p.

Pike Queen Lucy​
Silver team:
Seviper
Moves: Swagger, Crunch, Poison Fang, Giga Drain

Shuckle
Moves: Toxic, Sandstorm, Protect, Rest

Milotic
Moves: Ice Beam, Mirror Coat, Surf, Recover

Strategy:
This Frontier Brain is actually fairly easy, the only challenge usually is that people have bad luck and don't end up with a fully healed team beforehand (Vs. Pike Queen Lucy with a team of frozen pokémon anyone?).
Anyway, the only pokémon that should give you trouble is Milotic. Seviper is a piece of cake, the only thing to watch out for is the Quick Claw combined with Swagger. Just switch or attach a Persim/Lum Berry to something (providing that you managed to go through the rest of the round without it needing the berry [Persim is easier to pull it off with]). Shuckle, however annoying it can be (and it can actually cause problems sometimes), has 1 mortal weakness. Steel. None of its attacks can damage steel types. Just make sure you use a steel type with decent attack or it'll keep resting away the damage and you'll be out of PP. Metagross come to mind?
As for taking down Milotic, try to pick at its defense rather than sp. def. Also, make sure your sweeper doesn't take a lot of damage from Surf or Ice Beam (So no Salamence). Lastly, make sure it can damage it fast, As Milotic may use Recover to heal back some HP (although personally, I don't find she uses it much).

Gold team:
Seviper
Item: Focus Band
Moves: Swagger, Crunch, Sludge Bomb, Giga Drain

Steelix
Moves: Earthquake, Rock Slide, Explosion, Screech

Gyarados
Moves: Dragon Dance, Return, Roar, Rest

Strategy:
Again, the usual problem encountered is the fact that people just aren't fully healed. However, unlike her first team, this team has a serious flaw: Starmie.
Starmie @ Persim Berry (just in case Seviper's Focus Band kicks in and he uses Swagger)
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Sp. Atk, 6 HP
Nature: Modest
-Surf
-Psychic
-Thunderbolt
-Filler (usually Ice Beam or Recover though)
Yep, use this Starmie and Lucy will run crying to her mommy. Starmie uses Psychic, bye Seviper. Starmie uses Thunderbolt, bye Gyarados. Starmie uses Surf, bye Steelix. Just make sure nature's modest, as Gyara may survive a thunderbolt coming from a timid natured Starmie (happened to me once). Starmie is a good choice to use in the Pike Lucy or no Lucy anyway, it's sweeping ability is simply amazing and its Natural Cure ability cures statuses, something that definitely should be used.

Pyramid King Brandon​
Silver team:
Regirock
Moves: Explosion, Superpower, Earthquake, Ancientpower

Registeel
Moves: Earthquake, Metal Claw, Toxic, Iron Defense

Regice
Moves: Ice Beam, Amnesia, Thunder, Rest

Strategy:
This battle isn't actually too hard itself, There's just one main problem, and that's that most people aren't healed up fully when they get to the top of the Pyramid. I'd suggest using as many items as necessary to get your team as close to fully healed as possible.
Now for the actual Battle, if you have a choice band and a strong fighting type (Heracross, Medicham, Machamp and Hariama to name a few) This battle will be a breeze. All 3 Regis are weak to fighting. Failing that, use a strong water type for Regirock, something to attack Registeel which can't be hurt by its attacks much and can get through Iron Defense (Charizard and Moltres would work nicely), and something physical and super effective against Regice. This battle should be easy as long as you have the right pokémon and presuming they're alive :p.
And remember, you are allowed to use items from the bag during this battle, so take advantage of it.

Gold team:
Articuno
Moves: Blizzard, Water Pulse, Aerial Ace, Reflect

Zapdos
Moves: Thunder, Detect, Drill Peck, Light Screen

Moltres
Moves: Fire Blast, Hyper Beam, Aerial Ace, Safeguard

Strategy:
Ok, the Regis were a little bit challenging. This battle however, is nothing at all.
This has got to be one of the worst constructed teams I've ever seen in my life. Firstly, all 3 are flying types. The Regis were at least different types (secondary types don't matter, they actually just make it worse [I'll explain why later]). Second, the moves they have. Thunder without Rain Dance, Blizzard, and Hyper Beam? And I haven't even bothered to bring up the pitiful EVs and nature they have.
Anyway, if you have a fast pokémon with Rock Slide and a Choice Band, use it, and this battle's over.

3. Aditional Tips

Here is where I'll explain tips on how to do some other things in the Frontier.

3.1: Quick Ways to Earn Battle Points

Well, there are a few ways to earn Battle Points quicker, and here they are:
  • Bet Battle Points with the Betting Guy - Explained in section 1.4.
  • Play double battle mode of some facilities - Double battle modes generally give out more BP than the single battle mode of that facility.
  • Play Battle Pyramid - This works if the Pyramid is no challenge for you. The Pyramid gives out 5 BP for completing the early rounds, and it increases as your streak does.
  • Rebattle Frontier Brains - After you get the gold symbol to a certain facility, play through the facility until the Brain challenges you in his/her silver spot, beat them for the extra 10 BP, reset your streak by shutting game off during next challenge and repeat. Works best with Brains who appear in early rounds (I.E. Lucy).

4. Credits

I'd just like to thank the following people:
  • You - for reading my guide.
  • Serebii - For the website I got a bit of my information from.
  • Meowth346 - For providing us with Pokefor.TK which helped me out with a lot of this, especially the Frontier Brain section.
  • Tehbesto of SPPf - for providing the location of the Legendary Top Pokémon Breeder
  • Volteon of SPPf - For allowing me to use the information he posted in his “Things that may help you in Battle Frontier” thread.
  • http://upc.pkmn.co.uk – For providing the Internet with the Battle Frontier Pokémon list which is linked to in this guide.
  • And you again - just for reading my hard work. :d

Last edited:
Very nice pb88. ^_^ I was wondering what moves the Fronteir Brains taught their Pokemon! lol (I still haven't beat the E4 yet.)

This will help a lot of people out!

M

Mew

I have a question about the battle dome. When you compete in the battledome for the fifth time (after winning the last four) the trainers are like ultra tough. They have such balanced types with amazing stats. I can never even reach the battledome ace. For example, this Scizzor (sp?) used swordsdance, and survived my first hit from my sweeper. Then it KO'd all of my pokemon with a simple silver wind. D=

Powerful_Blaziken88

Mew said:
I have a question about the battle dome. When you compete in the battledome for the fifth time (after winning the last four) the trainers are like ultra tough. They have such balanced types with amazing stats. I can never even reach the battledome ace. For example, this Scizzor (sp?) used swordsdance, and survived my first hit from my sweeper. Then it KO'd all of my pokemon with a simple silver wind. D=
I understand your problem, but what exactly is your question? o_o

EDIT. I just fixed all of the links in the Factory section, just noticed they were typed slightly incorrectly. It's fixed now, so anyone who had trouble with them won't anymore.

Last edited:

Drayano

Pokémon Professor?
Mew said:

Uh, 3 answers, depending on what your question is.

1.) Um, win the battles? o_O

2.) If you're looking for some good Pokémon, try a Physical Sweeper like Metagross, a Special Sweeper like Lati@s, and perhaps a Mixed Sweeper like Swampert.

3.) I don't know your question. =D.

Anyway PB88, nice guide! Seems good, and the information is plentiful. This should be useful for other members, like SapphireL said. =)

M

Mew

Ack, i guess my main question was rather lame. -.- Basically, I'm just trying to get the right pokemon.

Powerful_Blaziken88

Mew said:
Ack, i guess my main question was rather lame. -.- Basically, I'm just trying to get the right pokemon.
For Scizor, get anything with a fire move. I use my fire punching Alakazam.

P.S. Could questions please go in the Battle Frontier questions thread rather than here please? Unless its questions regarding the guide, or something I said in it.

GymLeaderLance99

Orichalcos Duelist
Great guide, PB88. Just a question: what does IIRC atand for? Sorry if it sounded Noob-ish.

Rodrigo

The Firey Inferno
Sweet guide PB88! I'm going to print it out and put it into a frame!

J/K!!! But I'm going to print it out!

Expert Evan

Old Fogey
For the battle pyramid gold, which pokemon goes first? articuno, zapdos, or moltres?

I hope to have my slaking & metagross ready soon to take those down. I'm trying to decide whether to use my wonderfully outstanding milotic or use a starmie as the 3rd pokemon.

The_Mighty_Medicham

It's electric!
Okay, I took your advice and used a still type to get my first symbol (silver luck) by using my leveled up Metagross.

Powerful_Blaziken88

Expert Evan said:
For the battle pyramid gold, which pokemon goes first? articuno, zapdos, or moltres?

I hope to have my slaking & metagross ready soon to take those down. I'm trying to decide whether to use my wonderfully outstanding milotic or use a starmie as the 3rd pokemon.
My guess would be Articuno since it was first on the list when I checked Pokefor's Frontier Brain information section (back when they were still up), although I haven't gotten that far in the Pyramid.

And The_Mighty_Medicham, the Metagross is just for Seviper and Shuckle when you're facing Lucy. Although Metagross is a good pokémon anyway and is amune to the most common status in the status room, poison.

Expert Evan

Old Fogey
If articuno goes first, I'd think slaking's return should own it since articuno has an 85 IV for defense, the worst of the birds even though it has a much higher special defense. Slaking was able to OHKO a quagsire with return and it too had an 85 IV. Since slaking was fully EV trained in attack & speed, it should be able to make the first move. Seeing that moltres has the worst special defense of the birds, a water pokemon like starmie or milotic should be able to take it out in 1 or 2 turns I'd think. Since zapdos can do detect, that may be a problem for an exploding metagross or a loafing around slaking. Hopefully slaking's special defense should handle it along with an ample supply of revives & sacred ashes.

edit: As an update, articuno did go first and it took 2 returns by slaking to get rid of it. Anyways, I can now celebrate my first gold symbol ever.

Last edited:

The_Mighty_Medicham

It's electric!
I know Metagross was for Shuckle and Seviper mainly. I still used it to get rid of most of Milotic's health and then finished it off with my T-bolting Gyarados.

Status
Not open for further replies.