• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pearl and Completing Pokedex Without GBA Slot or Cheats?

YaelleG

Hi. So I have never played another Pokemon game before - I finished Pearl and obtained the Pokeradar. I don't really know exactly how many Pokemon you can get with it, but its obviously really helpful but I have a feeling that I cant really get many more than what I have now, even with trading.

On the GTS, everybody (mostly) asks for highly unrealistic trades. I did get a couple of really good things, but like really, how many Pokemon can a person actually get this way? Same for the radar. I'm not totally sure...

So I want to know, if I begin playing another game on DS (I have Platinum, never played yet) do I have to restart the entire Pokedex?

I don't have any system with a GBA slot anymore, traded it in a couple of years ago when I got my current DS! I've been searching different websites plus asking around & I cant really figure out - is there ONE game that you can play that allows you to complete the entire Pokedex?

WITHOUT cheats AND without a GBA slotted-system?? If not, this really bites. I mean I did enjoy playing but I WOULD like to be able to complete an actual Pokedex! Not totally sure what Platinum has that Pearl doesn't but I guess I'd find out.... Just want to know how people complete their dexes without using action replays & whatnot.

How DO you get a full dex - do you have to play through say, 2 games fully & then transfer the small # of Pokemon that aren't available in one game to the other? If there is no way to do it without Action Replay or something, does Nintendo/GF acknowledge that? What do they say?

YaelleG

Oh - so just to give some idea, my Pokedex is only at about 250. And I'm messing around with Ditto, also. Only got him a few days ago.

Sobe0047

Collector
No.
Unfortunately not.
They did that to encourage trading.
Making some pokes version exclusive and stuff like that....
Just an example Latios and Latias, Groudon and Kyogre, Palkia and Dialga- You get it.
This also applies with some wild pokes too...
Did you need help finding pokes?
If so PM me. I'll help with whatever I can.

Last edited:

YaelleG

Cool thanks for the answer. So I'll figure this out. I was just working on it and I caught a shiny Kriketune outside of the mansion thingy so I'm pretty psyched right now!

Shymain

Shaymin Lover
Um, even though there isn't any way to complete the Pokedex in one game, trading does enable completing the Pokedex. So, if you trade enough, you'll probably complete it at some point. Oh, yeah, and you can't really complete the Pokedex because you can't get Arceus unless you went to the event IRL. But, by exploiting a glitch, you can get Darkrai/Shaymin!

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!

YaelleG

I have been to a few places like the GTS & on some forums to try to trade and I cant even imagine ever having more than 1 or 2 things that anybody on there is really going to want. Or... at least what they're doing is asking for highly difficult to obtain Pokemon in exchange for their dinky little offerings!
Like, I figure if we are all able to get basically the same Pokemon, what are the chances that lil ole me would ever have something that the guy with It wants? It being some hard to get Poke.

I'm just keeping at it trying to complete what I can, but I DO want to try to get some of the first few guys on the national list. I traded something for a Charmander so that was good but its beginning to look less & less possible to play without a Game Shark or something. I mean if one wanted to complete a Pokedex.

Or.... maybe its more realistic to take the 2nd game that I have (Platinum, I think? I cant actually find it right now) and transfer my entire dex (assuming that's possible) and consider the 2 added together to cover more.

Retro-Chaos X

Psychic Aficionado
GameShark? Absolute junk. Why would you do that? In fact, if you wanted to d that, why did you post here in the first place?

Pokedex completion is SUPPOSED to be difficult. That's the ULTIMATE GOAL! So, you're saying basically that you don't like the way that GF made the game, so you're going to cheat?

Read his post - he never said that he is going to use one, he is asking if it is possible to complete the dex without one.

YaelleG

I'm a she. Heh heh... I usually only get accused of being a male when I post on military & vet forums. Or when I go to the VA to my doctor appointments and some &#(@ receptionist asks me where my husband is. I swear, you'd think working there they would be aware of the fact that women ARE actually allowed in the US military these days. Jeesh.
Yeah so... I did not end up getting the gameshark. I have gotten my Pokedex up to 305, up by at least 30 from when I posted this. I now own about 3 DS games & 22 GBA ones which I haven't gotten in the mail from ebay yet so...maybe there is hope! This would DESTROY my OCD. Positively kill it lol. Somebody gave me event Pokemon but I cant figure out how to get all of these Pokemon together in 1 game without running out of space so....now I'm working on figuring that out. Looks like my copy of Black 2 has more storage space in the thingy than Pearl does.