• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pearlshipping General Discussion - 3.0 *Spoiler Warning!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

polo150

Diehard Pearlshipper
Well, yesterday was a good day for us! 3 years... lots of thing improved in 3 years :)

Discuss the current status of Pealshipping. How is it progressing? How does it compare to other ships alike or different?
Pearlshipping is really on a peak like explosionhurt said before and I hope it will stay the same. I mean advanceshipping did got a peak at some point in Date expectation and then, in the last season in which May took part, things degenerated for advanceshipper and then we all know what happened. I really hope nintendo are not doing the same thing with us, hope they wont semi-canonize penguinshipping(I hate that shipping:mad:) in the last season as they did with contestshipping. but still its progressing and we are curently seeing hints that neither advance nor poke ever good(Thanks to Kotone!)

If you could make only one pearlshipping episode for the Pokemon anime[...], how would you plot it?

I would be Ash against Paul in the Shinnoh league Final... Ash finish by wining after being led 4-2 in pokemon remaining(Pikachu beats Electivire in the final battle). Dawn and Brock would be near him(in a small place like in the silver conferance).Dawn gets carried away after Ash won and go next to him to give him a big hug and finally kiss him on the cheek, confessing that she have a crush on him since Kotone talked about it(Thanks again Kotone:p). That would be really nice!

PKPrincess

Im back from the game 2day ...sigh... we lost.
Discuss the current status of Pealshipping. How is it progressing? How does it compare to other ships alike or different?
Pearlshipping is unique, it has better hints and gets better each ep. Plus, yesterday made the thread explode; so its really popular.

Niker117

Sorry to hear that, What do you play anyways? Soccer or football?

Well... as PKPrincess said, pearlshipping is getting way more popular than old timers' pokeshippers.

And as much as I loved advanceshipping, I'll face the truth that Drew got May. So Dawn now has a clear shot at it.

I don't feel like developing too much.

Cheers;
Nick

PS: 2 Days to the defining chapters!

PKPrincess

Thanx 4 caring, Niker. I play volleyball. u r right, pokeshipping is ancient and advanceshipping is nothing 'cause contestshipping looks like it already happenned. 'sides some of my friends think that orangeshipping will happen instead of poke. No offense, but pokeshipping is older than me!

Last edited:
Thanx 4 caring, Niker. I play volleyball. u r right, pokeshipping is ancient and advanceshipping is nothing 'cause contestshipping is better. 'sides some of my friends think that orangeshipping will happen instead of poke.

Can you please not talk about other ships here like that? It can be offensive to others (I feel like I'm repeating myself. xD) and it's off-topic. And, this place is not for chatting, it's to discuss PEARLSHIPPING. So please leave those comments to VMs. That's what they're there for. ;/

Same goes for you, Niker117. Same goes for you.

It's progression was a bit slow from the start (in terms of actual romance), but it's gone a long way from then. Now they fully trust each other, work nearly perfectly in sync with each other, and work together in general beautifully. The fact that Kotone attempted to persuade Hikari was another leap in Pearlshipping.

Compared to other ships, I think it's different, in a good way. Especially in the "Commented on being a couple" subject that the other two Satoshi ships experienced. The fact that Hikari did not blush doesn't mean she doesn't, and will never like Satoshi. It just means that she wasn't embarrassed to be asked if he was her boyfriend, or together with him. I find that to be a positive in a relationship, to not feel that it's embarrassing to think like that. Even though she wasn't embarrassed, she was flustered, obviously haven been caught off-guard by the question.

Another thing, just because blushing was always (usually) used to show affection in Pokemon, doesn't mean that that's the only method the writers can think about to show that someone likes somebody else. There are other ways to show attraction, non-believers. You just need to be a romantic person to be able to see the subtle hints. ;)

Last edited:

Niker117

Can you please not talk about other ships here like that? It can be offensive to others (I feel like I'm repeating myself. xD) and it's off-topic. And, this place is not for chatting, it's to discuss PEARLSHIPPING. So please leave those comments to VMs. That's what they're there for. ;/

Same goes for you, Niker117. Same goes for you.

It's progression was a bit slow from the start (in terms of actual romance), but it's gone a long way from then. Now they fully trust each other, work nearly perfectly in sync with each other, and work together in general beautifully. The fact that Kotone attempted to persuade Hikari was another leap in Pearlshipping.

Compared to other ships, I think it's different, in a good way. Especially in the "Commented on being a couple" subject that the other two Satoshi ships experienced. The fact that Hikari did not blush doesn't mean she doesn't, and will never like Satoshi. It just means that she wasn't embarrassed to be asked if he was her boyfriend, or together with him. I find that to be a positive in a relationship, to not feel that it's embarrassing to think like that. Even though she wasn't embarrassed, she was flustered, obviously haven been caught off-guard by the question.

Another thing, just because blushing was always (usually) used to show affection in Pokemon, doesn't mean that that's the only method the writers can think about to show that someone likes somebody else. There are other ways to show attraction, non-believers. You just need to be a romantic person to be able to see the subtle hints. ;)
And the newest version of the Kotone-Pearl googles.

Guess I got busted, but its not like I was just talking about them, I was just explaining WHY Hikari has the road clear for her goal.

Aaanyways... I noticed that you sigged me xD

Cheers;
Nick

HarukaShuuFan986

Ish stunned...
Hey!!! Can I join??
I like Pearlshipping a lot.....The reason...Well I just thought they where like perfect for each other..
As you can see I like Contestshipping too ^_^
and sorry for only posting one line before ^_^;

Last edited:
I know some people haven't answered the topic yet, but I really wanna post something so...
What kind of relationship do you hope Ash and Dawn will hit off, after the next couple of episodes?
Stronger and more romanticer, but still platonic so it won't feel weird and rushed, and one of them to have a slightly more "enlightened" view, if you will, of the other. It would make things more interesting, and I'm kinda thinking it's gonna be Dawn :D I'd pay to see her be all freakin' out over Ash, and I just saw it for free the other day. And if nothing progresses to that level, then I'd like them to continue supporting one another, as friends *grits teeth*
I agree so much with Niker now.

VoltTacklingPika

I don't post for a couple of days and miss about five pages... just wow. Ah well, not that my input was missed at all.

Let's see now... time to rack the analytical part of my brain. I think Pearlshipping is something that has developed in stages and the majority of hints rely more on subtility and reading between the lines than anything blatantly obvious; that's not to say there hasn't been some obvious signs. Compare the epsiode with both Ash and Dawn to the first episode with Ash and May in it, where in the same episode Ash and May met there was a strong-ish hint to the ship. It wasn't like that in the first DP episode that involed Ash and Dawn. They met as normal people, normal friends, and simply carried on as friends. Things didn't get particular interesting until the infamous cheerleading routine Dawn put on for Ash.

At such an early stage in their friendship, it really was an odd scene. This was the first real obvious hint that Dawn has some sort of "liking" for Ash; romanticly or friendly is a bit of a mystery that we'll probably never solve without debate.

From here on, a regular friendship developed and bonds of trust were formed without too many major hints. You could say that a foundation was being built and that if a romantic relationship were to form, you could easily say "that could actually work". You can't really picture the dynamics of their relationship changing too drastically.

The latest Kotone scenes have certainly given things an interesting spin. I think what Kotone has done, all intentions aside, is make Dawn aware of a more attractive side to Ash. For good all the worse, the logical thing to expect from here is for the relationship dynamic to change slightly. Of course that's down to the writers: will they feed us with more subtle hints and some obivous moments in light of these episodes or will they ignore it and carry on with the main focus for the anime?

So I think progression has been steady. It hasn't been forced down our throats, like PokeShipping was, and it doesn't have any major rivals like AdvanceShipping does either. I do fear that it might end a bit one sided on Dawn's part. Hopefully, it will even itself a little in the coming episodes.

rioT6296

a girl who dreams (:
Hi!!! I'm sort of new here (I just registered today) and I would like to join!

Well, I'm not really that new, since I read this discussion almost every week xD
Pearlshipping is my number one favorite shipping of all time! I became truly, deeply in love with it ever since I saw the first DP season, and they would be so cute together, and their friendship seems like a sort of "romantic friendship" to me ;)

Anyway, back to the topics.

I think that Dawn and Ash's relationship with each other is really strong right now, and almost romantic. They have a strong bond with each other, and their strong relationship has gradually progressed every episode...the hints just keep getting better and better!

And now, they fully trust each other, they get along really well, and support each other all the time, their bond/friendship has really developed well!

And, I think Pearlshipping is different than the other shippings (Pokeshipping and Advanceshipping). It's sort of...special :). The hints of Pearlshipping aren't just being thrown out at you like the hints for Pokeshipping were (as VoltTacklingPika said). It's developing slowly and and the hints are getting better in each episode.

And I love what Kotone has done! It's actually giving me more hope that Pearlshipping can actually become something more.

But I hope Pearlshipping won't become a one-sided shipping (on Dawn's part). I hope in the next couple Kotone episodes, Kotone will get Ash to think of his friendship with Dawn in a more romantic way...I mean, she got Dawn to, right?

Let's hope for the best :)

I just read the preview to DP149 on Bulbapedia and something caught my interest

Look at that last sentence, considering Ash hasnt had much interaction with Piplup you would assume its between Pikachu and Dawn to see who Ash likes better? And since this is after all the Kotone stuff does this mean another Pearlshipping episode? We are being so spoiled :D

I really hope that's what the writer's are actually planning do for that episode! I mean, Piplup never really does interact with Ash that much...Pikachu and Piplup could be fighting over who Ash likes better: Pikachu or Dawn (as Sylva has said). I hope that that episode will at least have some Pearlshipping in it :D

Niker117

Well, I'll be off for tonight, mainly because I'm off to a party. Anyways, I know that I wont be able to use the computer at least until midday when I go into IT class... until then, I'll be pretty much blind of what happened...

I'd like to have at least someone that says what happened when I get back.

Anyone up for the challenge of informing the people of the whole world?

Cheers,
Nick

PKPrincess

Welcome 2 new and returning people. I thought of a new topic.
Why do you support Pearlshipping?
Pearlshipping has several good hints and it's my fave shipping.

ivanreal

Hysteria Clan Leader
Why do you support pearlshipping?

I support it because, to me, it just seems right there are various hints ( not that there isn't in other ships with ash) but with pearlshipping they just stand out more.
Also, having kotone as Cupid helps because she keeps telling dawn good things about ash.

wiitard119

Welcome 2 new and returning people. I thought of a new topic.
Why do you support Pearlshipping?
Pearlshipping has several good hints and it's my fave shipping.

because i believe in pearlshipping to rise and beat all other ashx~ ~ shippings.
and its because dawn and ash is the best together.

Here's the report.
DP 145 was totally shipping episode.

First things first.

Kotone was trying to be a cupid.
However, not for Satoshi x Hikari, but for Kazunari x Hikari

That's right, she tried to break up Satoshi and Hikari. =P

She almost succeeds.
Satoshi and Hikari had a biggest fight in DP anime history.

[img139]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f299/PKIM82/gb01-1.jpg[/img139]

While it looked like it was going to be all over for Satoshi x Hikari,
This happens.
Kotone suddenly realizes something while seeing Satoshi and Hikari's fight.
She finds out that Satoshi and Hikari are acting just like Kotone herself and Kazunari

[img139]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f299/PKIM82/gb04-1.jpg[/img139]
喧嘩するほど仲が良い!
"They really fight hard like they are really close!"

[img139]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f299/PKIM82/gb02-1.jpg[/img139]
*Kotone looks at Kazunari*

[img139]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f299/PKIM82/gb00-1.jpg[/img139]
あ、私とカズナリも…
"Ah, like me and Kazunari..."

ADD
Here's why Hikari and Satoshi fought;
- Satoshi runs after Gible recklessly and almost gets sunk into Sandtrap.
- Kazunari saves him
- Hikari gets angry and tells Satoshi that he should not act so recklessly. (She was worried about Satoshi)
- Satoshi fights back. =P

After that, four goes into cave where Gible is.
By some confusion, all four gets seperated; however, each boys searches and finds their respective partner;
Satoshi goes to lost Hikari, and Kazunari goes to Kotone who also is lost.

So yeah. While Kotone wasn't pearlshipping cupid like we all have thought and hoped, she still acknowledged that Satoshi and Hikari are couple.

Oh and What happend to Satoshi and Hikari at the end of EP? (Too bad I couldn't capture better image)

[img139]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f299/PKIM82/gb02.jpg[/img139]
^_^

ADD2
Okay, this conversation was in Contest episode =P
When they find dressed up Hikari in waiting room;

コトネ 「ヒカリン可愛い!この中で一番よっ!サトシもそう思うでしょ?」
サトシ 「もちろんヒカリが一番だぜ!」
コトネ 「・・・サトシわかってないわよね」
タケシ 「ヒカリもかなぁ」
*ハイタッチ*
コトネ 「・・・似た者同士ってことね」

Kotone: "Hikarin looks cute!! Cutest Best in this room! Don't you think so Satoshi?"
Satoshi: "Of course Hikari is the best!"
Kotone: "... Satoshi doesn't get it huh."
Takeshi: "Hikari too."

*Satoshi and Hikari does High touch*

Kotone: *watches* "...they really are alike."

It's official. Takeshi and Kotone looks at them as a couple =P

Hikari lost contest because Mamoo went outrage.
It totally reminded me of Satoshi losing the match because Charizard wouldn't listen to him.

Another similarity ha.
------------------------------------------------------
To summarize the hints,

Gible Episode:

- Kotone trys to break up Satoshi x Hikari. (as if she thinks of them as a couple)
- Hikari yells at Satoshi for not being careful and putting himself in danger.
- Kotone realizes how close herself is to Kazunari after seeing Satoshi and Hikari. (Satoshi and Hikari being a model couple?)
- Each boys goes around and finds their respective "partner" when four are separated in the cave. (Satoshi -> Hikari, Kazunari -> Kotone)

Contest Episode:

- Satoshi and Hikari does high touch when everyone is looking.
- Kotone talks about how cute Hikari looks in her dress, and asks Satoshi what he thinks about it. (Satoshi does agree that Hikari looks great)
- Kotone and Takeshi points out that Satoshi and Hikari doesn't seem to realizes how close they are.
- Hikari loses the contest because her powerful pokemon Mamoo goes out of control (Similar to how Satoshi lost matches because his powerful Charizard doesn't obey him)

Last edited:

darklord18

Wow Thanks PK for the info.

Wow I didn't expect that, though It dose look like some pearl hints like we hope, but hey you fight with the people you love so yeah, to bad she wasn't being a cupid for Pearlshipping. Still that last pic cute.

anyway thanks again for the info PK0082

Why do you support pearlshipping?

didn't we have a topic close to this? anyway I like it because to mean Dawn and Ash are made for eachother, both had the same life lesson with Pokemon. both saw a legendary pokemon and other things. and plus they close friends even if they fight sometime that what all good couple do sometimes. and It seem interesting. that all I have to say.

VoltTacklingPika

Well that was a bit of a dissapointment. If we were in the scenario where Pearlshipping was the main outcome of this saga, then the writers certainly missed out on a golden opportunity to make something happen without major complications.

Kotone remains a bit of a mystery to me :/. I think, in her own way, she's testing something. Is it too far off to say that Kotone foresaw or wanted this argument to happen, knowing that in the situation with Gible Ash's bravery would eventually lead to him doing something reckless and as a result Dawn reacts naturally with care, as per their relationship? In her debut episodes, I didn't get many vibes that Kotone was and could be that clever.

I'm not getting my hopes up about the whole arguing with the one you love thing, for the following reasons: A huge bulk of PokeShipping is based around this incredibly debatable theory, and the leading AdvanceShipping episode "The Bicker the Better" was also based around it, and can just as easily be debated against and lose. I can't see how PearlShipping would be any different in the circumstances.

I will class Kotone as a canon Pearlshipper though.

JPG

Here's the report.
DP 145 was totally shipping episode.

First things first.

Kotone was trying to be a cupid.
However, not for Satoshi x Hikari, but for Kazunari x Hikari

That's right, she tried to break up Satoshi and Hikari. =P

She almost succeeds.
Satoshi and Hikari had a biggest fight in DP anime history.

[img139]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f299/PKIM82/gb01-1.jpg[/img139]

While it looked like it was going to be all over for Satoshi x Hikari,
This happens.
Kotone suddenly realizes something while seeing Satoshi and Hikari's fight.
She finds out that Satoshi and Hikari are acting just like Kotone herself and Kazunari

[img139]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f299/PKIM82/gb04-1.jpg[/img139]
喧嘩するほど仲が良い!
"They really fight hard like they are really close!"

[img139]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f299/PKIM82/gb02-1.jpg[/img139]
*Kotone looks at Kazunari*

[img139]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f299/PKIM82/gb00-1.jpg[/img139]
あ、私とカズナリも…
"Ah, like me and Kazunari..."

ADD
Here's why Hikari and Satoshi fought;
- Satoshi runs after Gible recklessly and almost gets sunk into Sandtrap.
- Kazunari saves him
- Hikari gets angry and tells Satoshi that he should not act so recklessly. (She was worried about Satoshi)
- Satoshi fights back. =P

After that, four goes into cave where Gible is.
By some confusion, all four gets seperated; however, each boys searches and finds their respective partner;
Satoshi goes to lost Hikari, and Kazunari goes to Kotone who also is lost.

So yeah. While Kotone wasn't pearlshipping cupid like we all have thought and hoped, she still acknowledged that Satoshi and Hikari are couple.

Oh and What happend to Satoshi and Hikari at the end of EP? (Too bad I couldn't capture better image)

[img139]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f299/PKIM82/gb02.jpg[/img139]
^_^

I missed contest ep -_-
I was spending entire time discussing with my Japanese friends at 2ch...

Oh well, I will post up regarding on that ep once I get to see it.
I heard Hikari lost contest becuase Mamoo didn't listen to her. (Satoshi and Charizard anyone?)

ADD2
Okay, this conversation was in Contest episode =P
When they find dressed up Hikari in waiting room;

コトネ 「ヒカリン可愛い!この中で一番よっ!サトシもそう思うでしょ?」
サトシ 「もちろんヒカリが一番だぜ!」
コトネ 「・・・サトシわかってないわよね」
タケシ 「ヒカリもかなぁ」
*ハイタッチ*
コトネ 「・・・似た者同士ってことね」

Kotone: "Hikarin looks cute!! Cutest in this room! Don't you think so Satoshi?"
Satoshi: "Of course Hikari is the best!"
Kotone: "... Satoshi doesn't get it huh."
Takeshi: "Hikari too."

*Satoshi and Hikari does High touch*

Kotone: *watches* "...they really are alike."

It's official. Takeshi and Kotone looks at them as a couple =P

although it didnt go as we all had expected it to go, it sounds like it was still pretty powerful in terms of pearlshipping. kotone did try to break them up but even she realized that ash and dawn have a powerful bond with each other. the fact that dawn got so angry over ash being reckless shows that she cares about him very deeply. the contest, if the translation was right, was hella big for us. kotone said that dawn was the cutest in the room and ash agreed, in this thick headed way.

while it didnt turn out like i thought, i'm still happy.

Hjörung´s wrath

Merovingian relic
Thanks a lot PK0082 for the report.

This new stuff is actually pretty good, even if I too was kinda hopin
material with a more "mushy" edge. I concur with VoltTacklingPika that the
"bickering evidence" in previous ships has not proven itself too solid a base
to build upon, and fighting or anything with negative feelings involved are
never a positive sign in a relationship anyway, be it IRL-based or a mere ship.

The real gem of this new material is of course the fact, that Kotone, and
more importantly, Brock too now openly acknowledge there is
something going on between Ash and Dawn. Like PK said, it´s official. Even if
it didn´t get any further than this, the tension is still there. It´s no more
speculation or vague fan interpretation, it´s the real deal. And nobody´s
gonna take it away from us.

These Kotone´s statements, both in these new eps combined with
the teasing scene in her debut episode are very, very valuable hints,
and a lot of ways equal to the material what Harley and Caroline provided
for contestshipping. Of course pearlshipping material still lacks the
ultimate proof, an obvious clear hint from either Dawn or Ash, namely
a super-awkward reaction or a blushing scene, but seeing how blatantly
the writers have started validating this ship, there is a very good reason
to expect something majestic to happen sooner or later.

Satoshifangirl

Thanks for the info PK0082! glad your back :D

This epi looks totally shippy :D!!!

btw what did kotone say to make hikari so embaressed :O at the beginning of the episode? Hikari was waving with her arms and all that:O

Status
Not open for further replies.