• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pearlshipping General Discussion - 3.0 *Spoiler Warning!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow1275

Hey, Shadow. Good to meet you here. Charizard is your main Pokemon I see. Excellent. I wish he was continually used more, but I won't state my reasons in order to not spoil anything regarding the new XY premiere episodes. Hope you got something regarding top favorite episodes regarding Pearlshipping. For people who picked Rise of Darkrai, what other episode would you select in its place?

When/if the anime ends, do you think Ash and Dawn will meet again?

I really hope they do. This was 1 of the reasons why I got invested into Pokemon than usual (though I don't watch the dub no more), but of course it all comes down to their decision.

I really don't get the hostility towards Serena. For now, there's not much. I did see the leaked previews, but it all comes down to how the episode themselves work. But since it deals nothing about this main topic, I won't discuss it here.

Wait. You mean "staying with her", right? Wonder how you'll create this fanfic?

Thanks Mew nice to meet you. They did bring Charizard back in best wishes or at least thats what I heard, plus you can get a charmander in X and Y so hopefully some of the newer fans will realize charizard's awesomeness. As for favorite DawnXAsh episodes, the Lyra ones were the best. Its easy to see which couple she ships. Though the my favorite has to be a combination of A Grand Fight for Winning!, Four roads diverged in a Pokémon Port!, and the final episode. When you look at those, even though she said that she only wanted to cheer Ash on, later we learn that she wanted to leave Sinnoh [her home and a place filled with pokemon contests] to go to Kanto,[A place with no pokemon contests to speak of] just to be with Ash. That ought to clear the air about what her true feelings are even though its pokemon and there will probably never be any pairings.

Vintrial

Whouffle.
Hey, Shadow. Good to meet you here. Charizard is your main Pokemon I see. Excellent. I wish he was continually used more, but I won't state my reasons in order to not spoil anything regarding the new XY premiere episodes. Hope you got something regarding top favorite episodes regarding Pearlshipping. For people who picked Rise of Darkrai, what other episode would you select in its place?

I really hope they do. This was 1 of the reasons why I got invested into Pokemon than usual (though I don't watch the dub no more), but of course it all comes down to their decision.

I really don't get the hostility towards Serena. For now, there's not much. I did see the leaked previews, but it all comes down to how the episode themselves work. But since it deals nothing about this main topic, I won't discuss it here.

Wait. You mean "staying with her", right? Wonder how you'll create this fanfic?

I have a couple of short stories about Ash travelling with Serena.
Where he starts to understand about "love" as have various flashback with previous friends.
At the same time, this happens to Dawn to as she travles with an new character and Casey ( Johto arc )
I have an epilogue already written, i'm only correcting typos cause that is my biggest flaw when writting in English.

pokemongeof

Sorry for not saying hi Shadow! Nice to meet another shipper. Glad this ship is alive even with AshxSerena, although i have nothing against it.

As for this statement Shadow:
Shadow1275;16564704 When you look at those said:
to go to Kanto,[A place with no pokemon contests to speak of] just to be with Ash. That ought to clear the air about what her true feelings are even though its pokemon and there will probably never be any pairings.

You really just shows us that there is an extreme strong bond between ash and dawn. So strong that 4kids had to change the plot so it wouldnt be canon.

As for this question, showing the bond, I truly believe ash and Dawn will meet again. Remember the special episode with Misty, May, Oak, etc? Its definitely a possibility, plus the fact that Iris and Ash didn't have a strong enough frienship.

maybe we should ask 4kids to bring dawn back again instead of iris. Someone jot that down

mew151

Thunder Trainer
maybe we should ask 4kids to bring dawn back again instead of iris. Someone jot that down

No. Just... no. That was a good one though. I thought it was TPCi (The Pokemon Company International) that started the DP dub and thereafter. In any case, I just don't have faith in them. I'm sorry.

For Vintrial, I hope you have a battle prepared for these 2. If you noticed, Ash is a battle-centric person. So, I think it would be appropriate that he discovers more of love through a battle.

For Shadow, when you get a chance to watch XY episode 2, you'll know what I mean. Though probably appropriate if you've seen the rest of the leftover BW episodes before that.

LizardonX

Banned
This thread is dead now that everyone has jumped ship to satosere :(

I'm thinking meeting montage at the end assuming they even care about past characters.

Shadow1275

You really just shows us that there is an extreme strong bond between ash and dawn. So strong that 4kids had to change the plot so it wouldnt be canon.

As for this question, showing the bond, I truly believe ash and Dawn will meet again. Remember the special episode with Misty, May, Oak, etc? Its definitely a possibility, plus the fact that Iris and Ash didn't have a strong enough frienship.

I definitely feel like she will make a couple more appearances. She's one of Japan's most popular pokemon characters so theres always a good chance. As for pairing wise, you know how pokemon is. I don't really mind SerenaXAsh at all that much for a couple of reasons. The first being that the chemistry between Ash and Dawn was something that I haven't seen between him and another female character ever. Sure they fought once in a while but they always made up by the end of the episode and their relationship was very light and upbeat. Second, AshxDawn is pretty popular in Japan so it would take a lot for SerenaxAsh to really bother it at all. Third, Ash is the definition of friendzone, so I doubt there could be a pairing at all if their are any.

Lol, 4 kids tends to butcher a lot of their material. They tend to "alter" a lot of the original dialogue. For example a lot of moments that suggested that ash cared about Misty as more then friends was put in by 4 kids to cash in on the franchise. As well as many ship-tease moments in diamond and pearl, and advance. [Some of the friend moments can really make you cringe.] Case in point getting rid of eric stuart as James as shown in this video of when he was still doing the voice:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzfg0aBE19Y

Last edited:

IceArceus

LetTheStormRageOn
This thread is dead now that everyone has jumped ship to satosere
The thread may be dead, but the ship is not. I know that I will never ship SatoSere, regardless of what anyone else thinks about this ship. (In fact, I think this thread is still pretty active.)

Haha, I don't think the anime will ever end to be honest, there will always be new kids, and therefore new audiences watching all the time. The Pokemon franchise never seems to get old, (But I think they just ran out of ideas when they came up with mega evolutions) and I don't think Nintendo plan to stop making money off it any time soon. At some point in the anime, I'm not sure if Ash and Dawn would meet again. I mean, I was so sure Dawn would come back for X and Y since she was so popular in Japan, but clearly not. No doubt Iris will make her obligatory cameo, but I'm sorry to say that the closest Ash and Dawn will come to meeting will be flashbacks. Misty succeeded in making an appearance or reference in every single season. I hope it will be the same with Dawn, or better still, if they actually meet. I will always hold out the hope that Pearlshipping will happen one day.

hopeful sleeper

carefree dreamer
Pokemon anime followers' opinions on pearlshipping that I often encounter lead me to believe that pearlshipping is a widely misunderstood concept and that the vast majority of the “shipping” fandom fail to fathom its true nature. As a result of this, they are inventing various misconceptions aiming at discrediting SatoHika as a plausible pairing. One of the misconceptions is the following:

''Pearlshipping is not viable because Ash and Dawn's relationship consists merely in a strong friendship and mutual admiration. Dawn has never shown any signs of romantic affection towards Ash.''

While it surely can be argued that there is not a single degree of romance in Ash and Dawn's relationship, it could not be further from the truth to contend that this in any way hurts or hampers pearlshipping. It is to be borne in mind that the Pokemon anime does not allow romance between Ash and any character. This might sound trivial at first glance but it carries certain implications, the most crucial of which is that the closest bond that Ash can share with any human character in the anime (bar his mother, needless to say) is equivalent to a very strong, special kind of friendship. In other words: it is only beneficial for SatoHika that Dawn is not interested in Ash romantically, at least at this stage. If the opposite was the case, it would ruin every chance of Ash and Dawn ever becoming the official couple. This may seem counter-intuitive but it becomes fully apparent when we take a closer look at the writers' clear policy of handling one-sided crushes which typically are sooner or later abandoned.

One could argue, however, that Dawn by no means stands out from Ash’s other female companions. Now, it is not my intention to show any kind of disrespect towards other anime characters but for the sake of this argument I may as well call a spade a spade and make a following statement:

In relation to Ash, Dawn's character is of cardinal importance.

Dawn's special position among Ash’s friends results from the way the two interacted during the DP saga; its canon status was ultimately evidenced by the DP's last ending theme whose lyrics include this line:

We'll always, always be special friends

Some may protest that this bit of lyrics also applies to Brock, but since DP was presented as Ash and Dawn’s story, it is not a stretch to attribute the verse exclusively to Ash and Dawn. In any case, it is to be said without any doubt that Dawn occupies a special spot as far as Ash’s female friends are concerned. If we combine this with the underlying premise of this argument we can safely arrive at a conclusion that SatoHika is not to be considered ''implausible'' because of the lack of romantic feelings between the two. On the contrary – it has actually more substance than any other pairing with Ash since, as already proved, Ash's friendship with Dawn is stronger than with any other human character.

Does absence of romance in the anime mean that the pearlshipping community should forgo any hope of Ash and Dawn being involved in a romantic relationship? After all, the whole point of ''shipping'' is the belief that two characters will be eventually in love!

The answer is no. We have to remember though, that ''canonizing'' any pairing involving Ash would necessitate Ash understanding the concept of love and exhibiting attraction towards the opposite sex, which almost surely is not going to happen until the end of the series (= definitely not soon).

Although there is nothing romantic going on between Ash and Dawn, the writers hinted numerous times in DP at Ash and Dawn being a possible couple. Some notable examples include Lyra realizing her feelings for Khoury being inspired by SatoHika interactions or Kenny viewing Ash as his rival to win Dawn’s heart (Kenny also happens to be Dawn’s childhood friend, go figure). It can be thus surmised that the anime writing staff views pearlshipping as a strong possibility, should they decide to make any Ash-involving pairing official. This, if you recall, has been brought up numerous times in this thread: ''If Ash is to ever end up with a girl… Dawn is the most natural candidate.'' I am convinced that Tomioka knew very well that Dawn would have to be replaced once DP ends, yet he continued to develop Ash and Dawn's bond, in case an opportunity arises to have them reunited for a longer period of time and cement their friendship even further. Recent developments in the anime change nothing in that regard.

The writers put a stamp of Ash's closest friend on Dawn's character. It seems utterly unconceivable that they will allow SatoHika to just disappear into history. Ash and Dawn are bound to meet each other again.

Last edited:

PrinceGray

Anti-Hero of Serebii
Shame that the 6th gen creatures aren't there.

About SatoSere, I'm sure that it won't became canon because Ash won't fell in love with anybody. Sorry, but 90% of the shipping hints come from the female character (except Iris which has zero shipping value) and I don0't think this will change. Also, I compared the hints that Serena throws to Ash and a lot of pictures from some Italian PearlShipper site, which means that SatoSere iss till non-canon if SatoHika is not canon yet. Also, I think that SatoSere has misleading promotion inside (childhood meeting ==/== love); the amount of it is unknown.

Serena in the anime honestly appears like Dawn in a disguise of Serena based on the real Serena that has to exist. Serena in the games aren't 10, in the anime appears so even though it's not confirmed. And compare Serena and Dawn bodies (not Iris for obvious). THey are like 95% similar, something that with the game characters doesn't happen).

I like Serena and I like Fennekin (something that I don't say it with Clemont and Bonnie because for me, Clemont is ugly, Bonnie is a lot more annoying thasn Max in nhis 3 first episodes, Dedenne is ugly for me, Bunnelby is average and Chespinj is cute but Clemont shouldn'0t have a starter and Chespin should be traded to Asd ASAP; spècially Greninja fans).

First off, character bashing is against the rules. Second of all, Serena and Dawn are two totally different people do not throw absurdly false theories around. Putting your thread disruption aside, I have a question for everyone.

If Ash and Dawn were to get counterpart pokemon (i.e. Nidoking and Nidoqueen, Tauros and Miltank, Volbeat and Illumise, etc.) what would they be and why would they be best suited for them?

mew151

Thunder Trainer
Well... why aren't you people contributing something instead of sharing only your concerns about the lack of activity of the board?

If Ash and Dawn were to get counterpart pokemon (i.e. Nidoking and Nidoqueen, Tauros and Miltank, Volbeat and Illumise, etc.) what would they be and why would they be best suited for them?

Well, Volbeat and Illumise aren't bad choices as the creator of the little creatures is (I would think he still is) a bug-lover (is there a term for this?). Tauros and Miltank... if Dawn has a Miltank. Plusle and Minum? Sure, if they ever go back to that preschool that had those Electric-Types. I prefer Latios and Latias mainly for their connection to legendary (Mespirit and Azelf respectively). Still, the winner remains of Pikachu and Buneary.

Regarding hopeful sleeper's post, I question this. What describes romance to you? How can "strong friendship" and "mutual admiration" not be a part of it? Wouldn't these aspects mean that the couple has a more survivable romance than other aspects like "love at first sight" or "opposites attract"? Again, what defines romance?

I'm unsure if anyone has noticed this, but since BW Season 2 began, we see Dawn's return since her special, which I believe it wasn't even a year old? Somewhere around 10 months or so? Anyway, when Dawn returned in BW, I noticed Ash working a little harder (training his Pokemon) compared to before Season 2 began, which was the 3rd episode of Season 2. I also noticed in that same episode when Dawn calls Ash a kid, even though she just repeated what Iris said, he takes that more personal compared to only Iris calling it which he rarely minds. Finally, when Dawn made her departure from Ash, he doesn't seem to be that concerned on training or much preparations for the Unova League. He could have benefited more of his abilities if he fought against Drayden and Bro- uh, I mean, Marlon. 2 more Gym Leaders he could (well, should) have faced against. But he didn't. I've always wondered why Ash, the trainer that insists he fights all 3 Straiton Gym Leaders, didn't fight any remaining Gym Leaders along the way? He's a battle-centric person. Why would he turn that down?

This is just my personal opinion, but to me, I feel that with Dawn no longer with Ash, his need to improve himself further has sunk. He just didn't care all that much no more and for people that have seen the BW series, he didn't do all that well in the league compared to the previous one. Just the same result he got from CS2 (Classic Series 2, the Johto Journey; I know it's referred as Original Series [OS] but I'm calling it classic) and AG from when he participated in the league. I guess I'm looking too deep into this, but this is my thoughts on it. Take what you will.

Vintrial

Whouffle.
Well... why aren't you people contributing something instead of sharing only your concerns about the lack of activity of the board?

Well, Volbeat and Illumise aren't bad choices as the creator of the little creatures is (I would think he still is) a bug-lover (is there a term for this?). Tauros and Miltank... if Dawn has a Miltank. Plusle and Minum? Sure, if they ever go back to that preschool that had those Electric-Types. I prefer Latios and Latias mainly for their connection to legendary (Mespirit and Azelf respectively). Still, the winner remains of Pikachu and Buneary.

Regarding hopeful sleeper's post, I question this. What describes romance to you? How can "strong friendship" and "mutual admiration" not be a part of it? Wouldn't these aspects mean that the couple has a more survivable romance than other aspects like "love at first sight" or "opposites attract"? Again, what defines romance?

I'm unsure if anyone has noticed this, but since BW Season 2 began, we see Dawn's return since her special, which I believe it wasn't even a year old? Somewhere around 10 months or so? Anyway, when Dawn returned in BW, I noticed Ash working a little harder (training his Pokemon) compared to before Season 2 began, which was the 3rd episode of Season 2. I also noticed in that same episode when Dawn calls Ash a kid, even though she just repeated what Iris said, he takes that more personal compared to only Iris calling it which he rarely minds. Finally, when Dawn made her departure from Ash, he doesn't seem to be that concerned on training or much preparations for the Unova League. He could have benefited more of his abilities if he fought against Drayden and Bro- uh, I mean, Marlon. 2 more Gym Leaders he could (well, should) have faced against. But he didn't. I've always wondered why Ash, the trainer that insists he fights all 3 Straiton Gym Leaders, didn't fight any remaining Gym Leaders along the way? He's a battle-centric person. Why would he turn that down?

This is just my personal opinion, but to me, I feel that with Dawn no longer with Ash, his need to improve himself further has sunk. He just didn't care all that much no more and for people that have seen the BW series, he didn't do all that well in the league compared to the previous one. Just the same result he got from CS2 (Classic Series 2, the Johto Journey; I know it's referred as Original Series [OS] but I'm calling it classic) and AG from when he participated in the league. I guess I'm looking too deep into this, but this is my thoughts on it. Take what you will.

I agree 100 %
I even think that if it wasn't Trollbias Ash would have won the Sinnoh league.
Do you think that was intended from the directors ?

hopeful sleeper

carefree dreamer

Friendship and admiration are vital components of a romantic relationship. I never stated otherwise.

This obviously wasn't done on purpose but Dawn definitely was a major factor behind Ash's striving for getting better as a Pokemon trainer.

mew151

Thunder Trainer
I even think that if it wasn't Trollbias Ash would have won the Sinnoh league.
Do you think that was intended from the directors ?

I'll just leave that to the directors themselves. Maybe someone who's able to meet them will know. The Black and White stuff seemed to squeeze themselves right out of the blue. It would have helped if the 2 clip episodes from Japan were regular episodes to lengthen the Ash VS Tobias episode and exchange Torkoal and Swellow with Quilava and... personally Noctowl (too bad it can't be Charizard), but whichever option (except Staraptor) will do.

Friendship and admiration are vital components of a romantic relationship. I never stated otherwise.

Wasn't that a quote from someone? It was never directed to you, hopeful sleeper.

Vintrial

Whouffle.
I'll just leave that to the directors themselves. Maybe someone who's able to meet them will know. The Black and White stuff seemed to squeeze themselves right out of the blue. It would have helped if the 2 clip episodes from Japan were regular episodes to lengthen the Ash VS Tobias episode and exchange Torkoal and Swellow with Quilava and... personally Noctowl (too bad it can't be Charizard), but whichever option (except Staraptor) will do.

Wasn't that a quote from someone? It was never directed to you, hopeful sleeper.

I love that bird sorry if i don't agree on that one :(
What i meant is if you think it were intended that the best score Ash had was while he was travelling with you, didn't understand if the first part of your answer was meant to that.

mew151

Thunder Trainer
I like Staraptor. Thing is, as it was part of the last battle against Paul, I think it's best to give other Pokemon a chance. It did a tremendous job VS Paul.

Ash did great against Tobias. The final battle of the league after was like every other result when someone fought Tobias. Darkrai. Boom. Uh... yay?

Vintrial

Whouffle.
I like Staraptor. Thing is, as it was part of the last battle against Paul, I think it's best to give other Pokemon a chance. It did a tremendous job VS Paul.

Ash did great against Tobias. The final battle of the league after was like every other result when someone fought Tobias. Darkrai. Boom. Uh... yay?

Got it now.
It's is a shame that Ash forgot anything that he learned with Dawn in D/P saga.It was the biggest influence she had to him, or any girl companion had to him tbh.
Pikachu was in the battle vs Paul too ^^

XY Rules

Pokemon Master
Got it now.
It's is a shame that Ash forgot anything that he learned with Dawn in D/P saga.It was the biggest influence she had to him, or any girl companion had to him tbh.
Pikachu was in the battle vs Paul too ^^

Ikr. So muc potential with the counter shield, heck even Paul used it.

Yeah, I'd probably go with Plusle and Minun or Espeon and Umbreon.

paul (dragon master)

Awesomely awesome

Two Meowstics, one female the other male, then there is Plusle and Minun.

Status
Not open for further replies.