• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pearlshipping General Discussion - 3.0 *Spoiler Warning!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Well today hurt... a lot, even though I take solace in knowing Ash at least didn't make any response of confirmation

Animefan145

Yeah, that's Ash for you. Ever oblivious, for better or worse. That's why I still like Pearlshipping better, the two were wonderfully close (definitely as friends, maybe as kind of a family, and if you squint hard enough it could count as romance) and didn't have to rely on dense protagonist cliches so much. Well, it never went into harem territory of course, but I miss the old camaraderie of Ash and Dawn.

I've moved on from Pokemon mostly (hard to put up with a frustrating series for years), but just wanted to voice my support for this ship.

D/P should be up next on the remake list, but with how little coverage the remakes usually get in the anime, its probably too much to hope for another Dawn cameo. I'm not even sure when was the last time the anime had one of those "every main character gets a cameo" ending.

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
And I'll take that no question... but it's more "effort" then we got, though I still think as a whole the Ash-Dawn relationship is miles ahead of Ash-Serena

It is. If Ash and Dawn were not so dense, then Pearlshipping has a legitimate chance. The interactions feel more natural and genuine, and as a friend Ash and Dawn is really close.

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
It is. If Ash and Dawn were not so dense, then Pearlshipping has a legitimate chance. The interactions feel more natural and genuine, and as a friend Ash and Dawn is really close.

Yep.
Pearlshipping is still the best IMO even if its really dead at this point (Or maybe not. Sinnoh confirmed FTW)

Ninjagamer720

Pearlshipper 4 EVER!
Well yea that episode hurt alot. The thing that i hate most is that the writers could have wrote Serena's character so much better. The base of her character was that she was supposed to have
a crush on Ash, NOTHING MORE. And ofcourse people just hoped on the "amourshipping" bandwagon so that they could be satisfied for once. That's the worst thing about amour, it's nothing special.

We all support Pearlshipping cause we like the bond between Ash and Dawn, their personalities match, they have great trust and more. But amourshipping is liked cause it has an actual chance of being
canon. I just hope that the future writers use this trick in the future so that people will understand that it was nothing special and just the writers trying to get good ratings! Nevertheless the XYZ series was amazing!

About Pearlshipping now, is it dead? By a million miles it is!
If Dawn ever returns and we get mature writers like in the XYZ series then they might just pull of another trick like this. I mean if Ash ever grow up he's not gonna be as
dense as he is now and ofcourse traveling with someone like Dawn might trigger some feelings to bloom. As for Dawn, Ash is alot like her so it would be easy for her to start liking Ash.
I personally think that the writers were gonna make Dawn have a crush on Ash but then trashed the idea cause of the young audience. If even one of them starts to develop feelings
for the other, Pearlshipping will overtake other shippings easily!

Because it already used to and have such a large fanbase, then there are those who will hop on to the bandwagon and start supporting Pearlshipping! Let's just say that the one ship that the last
writer of Pokemon likes, will be the winner. It's as simple as that

UDI

Orange Hero
well based on SM leaks i can say that the 7th generation have big chances to have DP remakes, so Dawn eventually can return to anime (for a while at the least)

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
well based on SM leaks i can say that the 7th generation have big chances to have DP remakes, so Dawn eventually can return to anime (for a while at the least)

Hmm I won't be so hopeful tho we had ORAS remakes and May didn't even got referenced :(

UDI

Orange Hero
Hmm I won't be so hopeful tho we had ORAS remakes and May didn't even got referenced :(

Is a different case because to promote ORAS in the anime introduced Sawyer a rival of Hoenn (Ash dont have a main rival in AG) there is also the mega evolution special part 3 (where featured groudon and kyogre)

also Dawn is bit more popular than May in Japan, that could help to a eventual Dawn's cameo

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
Is a different case because to promote ORAS in the anime introduced Sawyer a rival of Hoenn (Ash dont have a main rival in AG) there is also the mega evolution special part 3 (where featured groudon and kyogre)

also Dawn is bit more popular than May in Japan, that could help to a eventual Dawn's cameo

Yeah there's that but I'll hold my breath until it releases

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
i would literally be the happiest person alive if dawn came back to the show. though i doubt that it'll happen, it was cool to see her piplup get referenced in xy. i'll prob wait until dp remakes are announced before making further speculation on her.

Ninjagamer720

Pearlshipper 4 EVER!
Diamond and Pearl will probably get remakes but i still dont think that dawn will comeback because of that, afterall May didn't.

Funny thing in hawaii (basically the alola region) there is Pearlharbor and Diamond head peak! Just a reason to why i am
pretty sure they will be getting remakes

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
So I have a question because I legitimately don't understand this about PearlShipping. I know that High Touch is the crown jewel of this entire thing. But why isn't more attention given to Ice Cream Syndrome? I see High Touch discussed about every two and a half seconds, but I wasn't even aware of Ice Cream Syndrome's existence until I stumbled across it on Bulbapedia. It seems like PearlShipping's godsend, so why is it not embraced? I wrote a whole rant about this on another site, actually. The whole thing confuses me.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
So I have a question because I legitimately don't understand this about PearlShipping. I know that High Touch is the crown jewel of this entire thing. But why isn't more attention given to Ice Cream Syndrome? I see High Touch discussed about every two and a half seconds, but I wasn't even aware of Ice Cream Syndrome's existence until I stumbled across it on Bulbapedia. It seems like PearlShipping's godsend, so why is it not embraced? I wrote a whole rant about this on another site, actually. The whole thing confuses me.

you know i just saw the lyrics for ice cream syndrome, and woah this is literally a blessing to pearlshippers lol. although i guess it went unnoticed since it's the ending to a movie, whereas high touch was the opening to the main series for a while. plus it's specifically about ash and dawn.

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
you know i just saw the lyrics for ice cream syndrome, and woah this is literally a blessing to pearlshippers lol. although i guess it went unnoticed since it's the ending to a movie, whereas high touch was the opening to the main series for a while. plus it's specifically about ash and dawn.

I want to make it clear, I'm not a PearlShipper. I just simply don't understand this part of the fandom, how people have never heard of this song before in any section of the Pokemon fandom. That's something pervasive in the shipping communities. No one really explores the material anymore. Ask a PokeShipper about You're Not Alone. Ask an AdvanceShipper about A Thing to be Protected. Ask a PearlShipper about Ice Cream Syndrome. Ask an AmourShipper about Tweedia. Yet, they all embrace the publicized songs. Misty's Song, Together We Make a Promise, High Touch!, Candy Girl.

Anyways, I did write an analysis/rant about this song, and I'm going to include it below. Funny, they say we're supposed to be enemies. I think we should all celebrate what we're given.

From my post on the SS Amour:

I'm going to be completely honest with you all. I have no idea why the PearlShipping community stresses some things, and completely forgets about others.

Yes, High Touch is great. It's a lovely song about Ash and Dawn high fiving, which is one of the chief building blocks of PearlShipping. It's also a Japanese opening song, with whatever credibility that implies.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, there's a song that I've mentioned before. In fact, I may never shut up about it. It is an absolute godsend to the PearlShippers, and I don't have the slightest idea why it isn't embraced more. It's called Ice Cream Syndrome, and it was the Japanese ending song for M13 - Supreme Ruler of Illusions: Zoroark. It's a song about, well, someone. Saying it's Ash honestly wouldn't be a big stretch. He's sitting on the cover of the single holding an ice cream cone, for crying out loud. The narrator is talking about their relationship with someone. It's pretty obvious. As in, "the first line is literally 'Our relationship is a casual one'" kind of obvious. As the song progresses, it sounds a lot like he's talking about a girl. There's only one of those in Diamond and Pearl, and it's Dawn. Assuming the characters are actually meant to be Ash and Dawn, it opens with Ash reflecting on his frustrations in their friendship. It's casual. They've been together for years, but he doesn't feel like things have progressed much. He tries speaking his mind, and it gets laughed off. It's a hot day outside, and he's sweating to death. He wanders into a store to cool off, and he bought a comic book of all things. The next lines change the scene drastically. "How would it be if you were here?/Would you laugh with me?" They're not together anymore, but rather learning to live apart. What's more? She's stuck on his mind. Ash goes back into reflection mode. "We've been acting it out for so many years/Casted as best friends." The next lines are a complete shock to us, yet they're treated as completely natural to Ash. "It would be tough if I could say my true intentions/You say it's easy to discuss/But you're always talking about your love life/I keep it inside my delicate heart to not be found out/I want the smile reflected deep in my eyes/To only belong to me/For whatever reason, it won't be burned in there." So, there are some "true intentions" in play. She says that "it's easy to discuss" these things, but she's "always talking about [her] love life." What does that sound like to you? This is Ash we're talking about here. Yet, it's been said. He. Has. Feelings. For. Her. He's constantly suppressing them in fear of being rejected and humiliated, yet, they exist all the same. Is the world collapsing around us yet? I'll go on. "It seems like you're even/Further and further away than I imagined/Someday you'll disappear with someone." Jesus Christ. I actually feel bad for Ash. He moves back into the melancholy mood of before. He's staring at a plane in the sky, comparing it to the summer fading away, and time going with it. He's talking about feeling trapped again. "The syndrome called 'friendship'/Is a perpetual labyrinth without exit/It's frightening even to move/So I can't take a step forward." The title becomes a metaphor. When did Ash even buy this ice cream, anyways? I don't know, and I don't really care at this point. "The ice cream that I had meant to eat/Has melted all over/Destiny doesn't wait." The song closes with the narrator, or Ash, or whatever name you want to use, promising to himself to take back his destiny, that some day, she will be close enough for him to bring her back into his life. He doesn't care how long the wait is. He just wants her back. "When I'm with you, no matter when/You always seem to sparkle."

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
God, are there actually any PearlShippers around here anymore? I posted this nearly a month ago, and the only reply I got was from some guy ranting about how PearlShipping is awful. I don't know why people are accusing me of supporting PearlShipping, or why that's even something to accuse someone of. I'm not a PearlShipper. I never claimed to be. I just simply wanted to know why this song is so overlooked, to see if anyone has even heard of it before. If talking about this song is making PearlShipping "extremely canon," then PearlShipping has been "extremely canon" for the last 6 and a half years. Is Ice Cream Syndrome canon? I don't know. I'd dare to say that it's at the same level of legitimacy as High Touch! and Candy Girl.

If there are any PearlShippers around here anymore that actually knew of this song beforehand, please, enlighten me about the community's thoughts about this song.

So I just randomly decided to visit the forums after, like, god knows how long, and I thought to myself, "let's see what's become of the Pearlshipping thread!", half expecting to see it closed or something. I'm just glad to see it's still around haha. You guys rock. :')

If there are any PearlShippers around here anymore that actually knew of this song beforehand, please, enlighten me about the community's thoughts about this song.

I've been aware of ICS for a while now, even seen some discussion about it among some dedicated Pearlshippers on tumblr (and even here when the movie first came out) but never gave it much thought as concrete evidence or a godsend for the ship, as you put it. It probably has to do with the fact that it's not specifically about Pearlshipping at a glance. I love thinking of the implications behind it regarding Ash's possible feelings towards Dawn, don't get me wrong, and I want to see more fans reference it, but compared to High Touch - which has Ash and Dawn actually singing together - it's generally seen as more Canon in that sense. Also the Japanese movie ed songs don't generally gather much attention amongst the Western fanbase.

So basically:

Ice Cream Syndrome- a love song written without specifically stating who is singing to who, used as an ending theme to one of the movies in the japanese version
High Touch- canonically ash and dawn singing to each other, opening theme used for more than a year for the main series

And that's just how it is, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Despite being a harcore supporter myself it's hard to see the song as a definite 'Pearlshipping song' mainly because it was never brought up enough when the ship was hot and still relevant all those years ago.

Anyhow, now that you've brought it up, I want to listen to it again lol. It's been too long.

Since I'll probably disappear from this site again I'll leave with you all with a little doodle I whipped up today!:

Last edited:

dechirures

Heaven Or Hell
God, are there actually any PearlShippers around here anymore? I posted this nearly a month ago, and the only reply I got was from some guy ranting about how PearlShipping is awful. I don't know why people are accusing me of supporting PearlShipping, or why that's even something to accuse someone of. I'm not a PearlShipper. I never claimed to be. I just simply wanted to know why this song is so overlooked, to see if anyone has even heard of it before. If talking about this song is making PearlShipping "extremely canon," then PearlShipping has been "extremely canon" for the last 6 and a half years. Is Ice Cream Syndrome canon? I don't know. I'd dare to say that it's at the same level of legitimacy as High Touch! and Candy Girl.

There are still Pearlshippers but have a different forums so This is probably isn't use that much anymore since there is a different discussion board.
Also there is also a Analysis on song on youtube if you are interested it's on Pearlshipping TV and I believe all D&P 'shippy' song atleast have an Analysis.

Some believe Movie are non canon so it's your own perspective on view on this and the song also some don't consider song at all.

I believe Ice Cream syndrome is a long song like Yuppirox said depending on you it may or may not be a Pearlshipping song since it's differs for different people.

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
There are still Pearlshippers but have a different forums so This is probably isn't use that much anymore since there is a different discussion board.
Also there is also a Analysis on song on youtube if you are interested it's on Pearlshipping TV and I believe all D&P 'shippy' song atleast have an Analysis.

Some believe Movie are non canon so it's your own perspective on view on this and the song also some don't consider song at all.

I believe Ice Cream syndrome is a long song like Yuppirox said depending on you it may or may not be a Pearlshipping song since it's differs for different people.

I feel like I would be shot if I walked into the Vault. But maybe it's unavoidable. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.