• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

People need to get over time not passing

ArielSummer

Why do people complain about Ash never aging? Its an animated series. Heck in most animated series the characters don't age. Yes they are some cases like in Digimon 1-2 6-7 but they were much shorter seasons. The thing with Pokemon is its not an anime like Naruto or Bleach but instead more like a cartoon from the states like the Simpson. It follow no manga but tosses in some of the game plots to advertise the games. So my question is why do people complain so much about time not passing when other shows do the same thing? I mean in Family Guy and Simpsons we have had time pass. Heck we had like 2 Xmas and Halloween specials with family Guy and like how many with the Simpsons?

Haunter ゴースト

I agree to an extent.

It's not the fact that he doesn't get older, it's the fact that each saga he's reset as if he knows nothing about Pokemon anymore, he never retains all of his development he's gained from previous sagas. Obviously it's to keep things new for the kid audiences, but it's annoying for the long time followers of the show.

matt0044

I would've been okay if they left Ash's age up to the viewer's interpretation rather than outright saying that he's still ten. It really wouldn't have been as bad as now. Plus, unlike the Simpsons where each episodes is practically it's own entity, there IS continuity in the Pokemon Anime so the idea that Ash went through so much yet isn't at least 11 or 12 frustrates others because of that. And who says that because it's been done before that excuse the Pokemon Anime fully.

ArielSummer

And who says that because it's been done before that excuse the Pokemon Anime fully.

Because its a stupid issue people have with an animated series that is pushed way out of proportion. Shin Chan has continuing eps and he is still 5 after like 20 years. Its something that does not matter in the long run but people seem to ***** about it and start trolling and complaining about something pointless. Heck I'd rather see "OS is the only good series" comments tbh (not saying it is or is not just an example) But as you said if they let the fans pick his age it would work. It was fine until BW said he was 10. In the BF arc were thought he was like 13 or something which tbh was fine with most fans even if it was dub only. I often wondered if Ash did age but since they wanted BW to be like a Kanto feel they de aged him or something. Was it ever said prior to BW ep 1 he was still 10?

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Why didn't they leave him like he was in AG and DP? Everyone knows he acted older like an early teen in those sagas, but BW regresses him.

matt0044

But as you said if they let the fans pick his age it would work. It was fine until BW said he was 10. In the BF arc were thought he was like 13 or something which tbh was fine with most fans even if it was dub only. I often wondered if Ash did age but since they wanted BW to be like a Kanto feel they de aged him or something. Was it ever said prior to BW ep 1 he was still 10?

That would've worked better rather than outright telling the viewers he's still ten. Just don't ask, don't tell (no joke intended). And I guess they didn't care so much about his age until BW came.

Torpoleon

I hate how people are annoyed that characters in the series never age. Other series have characters who haven't aged as well.

If the characters aged, eventually they'd have to be replaced for younger characters, more than likely.

Trainer Michael

Pokemon Champion
I don't really have a problem with Ash not aging, but it wouldn't hurt to have him age a few years.

After all, you're really telling me that Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova all happened in the course of one year?

They should age him to at least 12 or 13, it would be better for character development.

Honeyichigo

The manliest
You know, I was just thinking about how annoying this is last night. :p But seriously, there's buttloads of series where the characters never age despite an ambiguous amount of time passing, and I don't see any reason to single out the Pokemon anime for that. It just feels like people are straining for a reason to complain about the later seasons, or the anime in general, or something.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
Time DOES pass. The characters are frozen in a certain age. That's not the same as time itself being frozen. It's cartoon physics at work. He's been a trainer for many years but is still ten. This is a virtue of an animated series which is wise to take advantage of for a show purpose-built for a long run. Just be glad we get continuity and saga-by-saga progress, not to mention new pokemon and companions every generation to keep the show fresh. Ash being 11 or 25 wouldn't improve the show.

I agree, I'm tired for people to be worked up over this simple explanation, they need to wake up and smell the coffee these days...@.@ It makes sense for Ash (as well as other characters) to not age so little kids can relate to him (and the latter) and the way he resets each region is a welcoming for newcomers.:/ And the coma theory...ppl these days...:rolleyes:

lokoduro

Shinji Time!
I don't mind that anymore :/ What does annoy is that,for example,his Pikachu suddenly get zapped to lv1.
The fact that Satoshi made 10 steps backward during BW early days.He can stay 10 year old forever,but he could have linear growth...that I would appreciate.

I don't mind that anymore :/ What does annoy is that,for example,his Pikachu suddenly get zapped to lv1.
The fact that Satoshi made 10 steps backward during BW early days.He can stay 10 year old forever,but he could have linear growth...that I would appreciate.

Watching Pikachu destroy everything in the earlier part of the saga wouldn't really be exciting to watch.

lokoduro

Shinji Time!
Watching Pikachu destroy everything in the earlier part of the saga wouldn't really be exciting to watch.

Satoshi doesn't need to fight against new trainers...it was just ridiculous the way he lost a recently picked up Snivy.

randomspot555

I would've been okay if they left Ash's age up to the viewer's interpretation rather than outright saying that he's still ten. It really wouldn't have been as bad as now. Plus, unlike the Simpsons where each episodes is practically it's own entity, there IS continuity in the Pokemon Anime so the idea that Ash went through so much yet isn't at least 11 or 12 frustrates others because of that. And who says that because it's been done before that excuse the Pokemon Anime fully.

Nitpick: There is continuity in Simpsons as well. Similar to Pokemon, it is very rare and loosely handled, but there have been continuity references several times.

But yes, the overall message of the OP is solid. People need to build a bridge and get over it. Your character in the game you play doesn't "age" in real time or at all, even though time clearly does pass in some form or another. Similarly, neither does Ash. Neither does James Bond or Spider-Man or Dr Who or any number of other multi-media franchises.

Why didn't they leave him like he was in AG and DP? Everyone knows he acted older like an early teen in those sagas, but BW regresses him.

I think his personal regression in BW is greatly exaggerated and is largely over by the end of Gym 2 or so. His Pokemon's lack of development and use, however, is something that is a whole other topic...

I love how people who don't watch the show still come here to complain. Because if you did watch BW01-02, you would 100% know why Pikachu lost to Snivy.

Satoshi doesn't need to fight against new trainers...it was just ridiculous the way he lost a recently picked up Snivy.

Most of the Pokemon he uses are new, and there's usually some passage of time between sagas. Pikachu won't be in top form after a week or two off from training.

lokoduro

Shinji Time!
randomspot555 said:
I love how people who don't watch the show still come here to complain. Because if you did watch BW01-02, you would 100% know why Pikachu lost to Snivy.

/\ Yeah I don't watch the show,you are 100% right.

I don't know that:
-Satoshi loses to Corn in a very embarrassing way.NO ZEKROM excuse.
-There is a Museum incident in Nacrene.
-Iris and Excadrill issues,and that it ends in one episode
-Iris win Don Battle.
-Satoshi didn't even bring 3 Pokémons to Elese battle.
-Roggenrola evolves in Clay match.
-Skyla trolls Dento.
-That Brycen GYM Leader is an ex-actor.
I don't even know who the hell is Pinot Noir,I just have that avatar because it is random.
And I don't know that Cynthia is in Isshu for an exhibition match.

So before implying that I don't watch the series...be sure of what you say.I watch Pokémon since 98 and I currently watch it live on Tokyo Tv.

It doesn't matter,Pikachu got zapped by Zekrom,to a direct lv1....because some episodes later he couldn't even win against a panpour.

Vernikova

Champion

Neither was watching him lose to Pokemon that he shouldn't be losing to. Or Ash doing things that he's already learned not to do.

That said, I always took the approach that a year in the Pokemon world is substantially longer than a year in real life. It was what made most sense to me.

Born Better

God of Lightning
For the first few episodes.There was also the Elesa battle which I will admit was painful to watch.

1.So you're saying he should only battle gym leaders until later on?

2.You do know what happened prior to that battle right?

3.Seeing as how Panpour is a gym pokemon with at least a decent amout of experience,it really shouldn't be that hard to believe.

Neither was watching him lose to Pokemon that he shouldn't be losing to.
But the lil jimmies don't know that.

Or Ash doing things that he's already learned not to do.
People really overexaggerate this,along with just about everything supposedly wrong with Ash,but that's another discussion.Excluding Unova or the type thing,give me one good example of this.

That said, I always took the approach that a year in the Pokemon world is substantially longer than a year in real life. It was what made most sense to me.
Whatever.

Vernikova

Champion
People really overexaggerate this,along with just about everything supposedly wrong with Ash,but that's another discussion.Excluding Unova or the type thing,give me one good example of this.

The fact that you had to exclude all of the things he has done in an entire saga as well as all of the times he has used Pokemon moves which do not affect the defending Pokemon speaks for itself.