1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

People need to get over time not passing

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by ArielSummer, Jun 30, 2012.

1. pokemon fan 132

pokemon fan 132 Well-Known Member

Time definitely pass in pokemon which was showed already several times, being mentioned how months, even years passed already in anime. For example i remember in third pokemon movie being referenced how one year passed when celebrating Ash Pikachu Birthday, or when it was stated how one more year passed in one of DP episodes(i believe it was /Ash and Dawn, Head for a New Adventure!" if im not mistaken). Return of older traveling companions, Ash older pokemon, or other recurring characters also signalize how there exists continuity and time passing.

Something pokemon referenced several times, with exception that main cast doesn't grow older. They are stuck in some kind of loop with writers not wanting them to age. Some say how its because anime is aimed for small kids,and such move could turn them of. But after taking in account how there are other kids show which age characters, somehow i doubt that's main reason.

Eh anime could be kept fresh through current or older companions too by writers investing more in their stories and taking them in new directions, being freshen up which would allow for more significant growth. Something which many other show which don't do cycling does, and judging by hype and excitement return of older friend creates it seems people are open toward this too.

Only reason pokemon doesn't do build up with already existing companions is probably to better go in correlation with new games and advertizing(barring few exceptions).

2. randomspot555

randomspot555 Well-Known Member

If you did watch BW01-02, you'd know exactly why he lost to Snivy. Going "WTF LOSING TO NEW SNIVY?!?!?!?!?!?" doesn't change the fact that it is clearly explained in the episode.

That's nice.

I think this is a case of people applying real-world Pokemon battling to anime Pokemon battling. We have type charts and in-game dialogue that tells us what happens when we use a super effective move, a NVE move, or a move that misses or doesn't work or whatever. We have online databases that tell us how to obtain Pokemon and moves. Ash doesn't have that (well, the Dex does it a little bit, but you can't always stop a battle to check the dex for info).

So yeah, sometimes he uses a move against a Pokemon he shouldn't. So what? I've done it before in the games, even recently.

3. Born Better

Born Better God of Lightning

I excluded Unova because 1.it was already a given. and 2.because,as I said before,it only lasted for the first few episodes.

The reason I excluded the type thing was because that's just his style and it clearly works for him.Yeah he may occasionally forget that a pokemon is a ground type or might not even know to begin with,but he usually knows what he's doin.

Really almost all Ash hate seems to be because he's not perfect,or better yet,because he's not Red.

4. munchlaxboy

munchlaxboy Catching up on XY

The show involves progress, meaning Ash and friends continue to push further towards their goals in every episode, not like The Simpsons or Family Guy where there are just random events.With Ash's progress he has certainly matured. I mean, just compare his Kanto days to Advanced. He's a lot different in his personality. The obvious progression and maturity developed in the show makes it clear that time has also gone by and elapsed over the progressive episodes. However, thanks to the confirmation in the first BW episode, it has not. The past 14 years of episodes, which could have translated to AT LEAST a year or two, are all for naught, as Ash has not aged a second older. It just makes you lose your feel for the show a bit.

5. lokoduro

lokoduro Shinji Time!

Ok,ok...we should all accept that after being tied up a Latios he lost to a Panpour.Very nice.

And I was saying that he could battle experienced trainers like Shinji since the beginning...other not having real rivals until later on(Hoenn).
    Those two series handled the fact well...why did BW not handle early season that well,in terms of Satoshi's experience?

6. ArielSummer

ArielSummer Well-Known Member

Cress and his Panpour could of been stronger then Latios. Levels don't exist in the anime. Its more based off planning and expierence which thos two may have had more then Tobias and his bird.

7. Cloud_Arcanine

Cloud_Arcanine Scarlett starlett

To be fair, if the narrator hadn't said at the start of BW01 that Ash was 10, we'd still be believing that he had aged. I'm not too bothered that he hasn't aged, it's a television show, no point in getting antsy about it. The one thing I don't like about BW is that Ash is almost completely clueless about everything he's done prior. I remember a little while ago he seemed as if he'd never heard of Pokemon photographers before, despite spending a few episodes of the anime travelling with Todd Snap. I just hope that now he's in Eastern Unova and that Dawn's here he'll recall past experiences such as his league achievements.

8. lokoduro

lokoduro Shinji Time!

That made me laugh...Corn could be the Champion then.
    Planning and experience?If Satoshi didn't simply erase his DP experience he could probably win easily.
    If Satoshi grew up linearly,he would win much more battles.The fact is that the writers reseted him.And that annoys more than he being 10 forever.Actually his age doesn't matter much.

9. PrinceGray

PrinceGray Anti-Hero of Serebii

I don't know who Corn and Satoshi are but I know who Cress and Ash are.

I don't see what the problem with him aging or not aging. As long as he doesnt forget past events completely, then he's fine and seeing how he remembers Dawn and even Tracey tells us that he won't be completely erased.

10. Haunter ゴースト

Haunter ゴースト Well-Known Member

A major reason people (including myself) are annoyed with Ash not aging is the fact that we know the show has a tonne of continuity in it, especially with the fact Ash has travelled through 5 whole regions with a tonne of development and to find that nothing has passed from it is ridiculous.

Another thing is how AG and DP showed growth and maturity in his character, and completely scratched it by the time of BW.

I think it may have been better if they didn't state his age, that way anybody could decide whatever they want it to be.

11. Born Better

1.Black and White marks the first real time Ash has reset ever.

2.The only strategies Ash could've brought from Sinnoh were spin and counter shield which really would've made all that much of a difference.

3.Pikachu's the one that gets reset every new gen,but,as said before,it has to be done.

12. pokemon fan 132

pokemon fan 132 Well-Known Member

Well its not like time doesn't pass, being referenced several times already in show. It just happens Ash and rest of crew are stuck in loophole being immune to aging with writers not wanting them to grow up. Which is shame really because by aging writers could do deeper and more notable growth with not only Ash but other both new and if opportunity allows older characters too. Plenty anime like Bakugan, Naruto, One Piece, Beyblade, Ben 10 etc, etc age characters with several being aimed at kids too but i guess with Pokemon writers don't have any incentive and desire to do such thing.

Since it passed around 15 years already i doubt Ash will ever age.

As for maturity, i dunno. Ash did seemed to me that he started to slightly mature already in second half of Johto not being anymore so reckless and impulsive like he used to be in Kanto with Misty and Brock helping him to grow as trainer. I remember he also used more strategy in gym battles being calculated at times.

Though i agree that more notable maturity started with Hoenn when he was grown up enough to take on mentor role to others not being reliant so much on friends anymore.

13. Haunter ゴースト

Haunter ゴースト Well-Known Member

Agreed, it's just the fact that nobodies aged that annoys me, we get sunsets and such at the end of nearly every episode. In hindsight, nobody aging is a good thing meaning the character's won't ever have to leave the show once they grow up, if Ash was a year older for every season, he'd be 25 by now, or every saga he'd be 15.

Agreed, he did mature slightly in Johto, but it was a lot more noticeable in AG, and again in DP. I genuinly felt Ash may have been 13/14 in DP, but BW made him act very childish again and even made him look younger lt alone state he was still 10. Oh well haha.

14. lokoduro

lokoduro Shinji Time!

Haha,funny one.You don't know who Corn and Satoshi are but you know who Ash and Cress are???Is that so?Congratz,champ.

1.I love
    2.enumerating
    3.things.

Ok...?I don't remember saying otherwise,if you are saying that he only reseted on BW it just confirms my point that he indeed reseted.For me,this is annoying...and that was what I was trying to address.
    Wow,just these two?They didn't make much of a difference back in DP,right?lol...that is pretty ironic.
    And I would find strange if Corphish was the one to get reseted every gen not even being there.
    Satoshi couldn't even remember that his Pikachu received a enormous thunder 5 minutes ago.

15. Red Ketchum

Red Ketchum Member

To be honest I do wish he would age at least a little. As was said before if it was left to interpretation I'd be fine, and I'd say that HE DID age in Diamond and Pearl and the season before Sinnoh (Battle Frontier). To be honest I'd say that the reset in BW splits off from the continuity of the anime. As in Sinnoh League Victors ended the original anime, and this is basically a new one. There's honestly no other explanation for it. ESPECIALLY since in Johto (at the beginning of Pokemon 3: Entei: The Spell of the Unown) it was said that it was his 1 year anniversary of meeting Pikachu) but now he's again 10. It's like how the games kind of reset after the Johto League.

16. Vernikova

Vernikova Champion

Real-world Pokemon battling and anime battling have the same type advantages and disadvantages so that's a non-point. The "so what" is that he does that when he previously learned not to. This was the point of my original statement and something that you didn't refute so your post in the end was meaningless. Though your story of your tragic battling mishap was an A+ one for sure.

It's his style to use moves that don't have an effect on certain Pokemon. That's not a very good defense especially since he's attempted non-effective moves against pure Ghost-type Pokemon before.

It's because he's written poorly but, as you've stated before, "whatever."

17. Born Better

I'm gonna have to start doing this whenever people pull that crap with Japanese names.

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU LOVE!
    Seemed to me like you were saying that he reseted every single generation.
    He's done pretty well without them so far and out of all the battles Pikachu's been in,the only one where it probably would've helped is his second battle against Trip.(Only on the Sawsbuck episode.)

The h*ll are you talkin about?

Like I said,he likes to prove that type isn't everything and it works for him.
    When?

18. Vernikova

Vernikova Champion

So you're suggesting that using move that have no effect against certain Pokemon is a good strategy?

Once against Agatha's Gengar with Pikachu's Quick Attack and another time against Brandon's Dusclops using Seismic Toss from Charizard. To his credit, he simply "forgot" both times.

Jimmies have been rustled I see.

19. Honeyichigo

Honeyichigo The manliest

So because he mistakenly used an ineffective move once he's stupid for making the same mistake with a move that's completely different except for the type who knows how long later... actually, is Seismic Toss even normal-type? I could have sworn it was fighting.

20. Vernikova

Vernikova Champion

I stated non-effective. I didn't restrict it to Normal-type moves. Anyway, he's used it more than once which I have shown. Obviously, I'm not going to remember every single time he's done this before since I'm not an avid watcher. Even discounting my memory, it doesn't matter since I've already proven that he's done things that he's learned not to do on multiple occasions proving my original statement to be true. The only people that would argue are people who would argue for just for the sake of it.