• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

People need to get over time not passing

Born Better

God of Lightning
So you're suggesting that using move that have no effect against certain Pokemon is a good strategy?
Don't know,but it works so whatever.

Once against Agatha's Gengar with Pikachu's Quick Attack and another time against Brandon's Dusclops using Seismic Toss from Charizard. To his credit, he simply "forgot" both times.
Yes,he did forget.He makes mistakes sometimes.So what?Besides,you say it as if he does it literally all the time.

Jimmies have been rustled I see.
Lil Jimmy gon get got!

randomspot555

Ok,ok...we should all accept that after being tied up a Latios he lost to a Panpour.Very nice.

If you really want Ash to plow through every single trainer like the time he took on that girl's just-caught Beedrill with his Charizard, then good for you! But most people don't want the protagonist to be in God Mode and like rooting for an underdog.

Real-world Pokemon battling and anime battling have the same type advantages and disadvantages so that's a non-point.

Really? Ash can "pause" time and go look up type advantages, move pools, and search through online databases to determine where specific Pokemon can be caught and found? He has in-game dialogue that tells him how effective moves are and how much HP his opponent's Pokemon has? He hears music and a warning tone each time his Pokemon are in critical condition?

I must've missed that.

The "so what" is that he does that when he previously learned not to.

No, the "so what?" is that the anime takes on a more "realistic" style of Pokemon. People in the heat of a moment might make a forgetful error. If you want to watch an anime where the protagonist is in God Mode the whole time, go watch something else.

Though your story of your tragic battling mishap was an A+ one for sure.

Yeah brosef, sorry we can't all be perfect as you.

matt0044

Nitpick: There is continuity in Simpsons as well. Similar to Pokemon, it is very rare and loosely handled, but there have been continuity references several times.

Point taken but it does seem like each episode stands on its own with no overarching plot and even outright reset things where it's all back to normal in this episode yet the previous ended on a different note. There's continuity but I'd say it's looser than Pokemon's since that has more linearity.

Honestly, I still wish they just kept Ash's age unmentioned so viewers young or old could infer for themselves.

voicerocker

Platinum Master
Why do people complain about Ash never aging? Its an animated series.

I think sometimes people forget that. Plain and simple: it's just a cartoon! It's not that big of a deal.

Black and White was supposed to be a "reboot" of the series which explains why Ash seems to be off his game. But why people think it would be a good idea for him to take all of his strongest Pokemon into a new region with him and destroy everyone he faces with ease is just confusing. If he's making Gym Leaders look like newbies, why have him challenge gyms at all?

Real-world Pokemon battling and anime battling have the same type advantages and disadvantages so that's a non-point.

Pikachu has defeated many Ground type Pokemon in the anime before, from Geodude, Onix, and Rhydon, even the Golem in the opening of the Mewtwo movie, with electricity. But even though I don't watch the anime like I use to, I'm pretty sure Ash isn't just using non-effective moves constantly. Besides, all that is done for is to explain to the kiddies watching that some Pokemon attacks won't damage certain types of Pokemon. It basically serves as "Pokemon 101 with Ash". It's much more effective to SHOW kids an attack won't work than just tell them. It can also be viewed as a suspense builder for the kids as some will probably be thinking "Oh no! That attack won't work! How will Ash win now?!"

matt0044

Why didn't they just replace Ash if all his experience was going to be sucked dry for BW? Why not let him win the Sinnoh League with his battle with Paul in the finals and him facing Cynthia either winning or losing (you be the judge) and let a new guy take over for Unova? They'd have a damn good excuse for his actions even if he's an Ash clone and it wouldn't be as frustrating. Heck, the thirteenth movie could've capped of Ash's story if possible.

Let the disagreements/agreements begin... now!

voicerocker

Platinum Master
Why didn't they just replace Ash if all his experience was going to be sucked dry for BW?

Probably because he has been the lead character since Episode 1. The focus has always been on Ash. That would be like asking them to replace Goku in DBZ.

Or possibly because Ash/Satoshi is named after the creator himself.

I personally feel like no one older than the target audience is expected to watch the series long enough to care about whether or not Ash is reset or not. Each generation is meant to appeal to fans who are kids at that point in time, not over a period of several years.

Still, we see that with every league challenge Ash takes, he improves. He was clearly the 2nd strongest trainer in the Sinnoh League, being the only person on record to ever KO Tobias's Darkrai, even though he didn't make it to the finals. So it's not like Ash loses EVERY bit of knowledge he's gained, they just have to give him a challenge with every new region. And the only major reset he had was for Black and White, which was the sort of "reboot" of the series.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
That made me laugh...Corn could be the Champion then.
Planning and experience?If Satoshi didn't simply erase his DP experience he could probably win easily.
If Satoshi grew up linearly,he would win much more battles.The fact is that the writers reseted him.And that annoys more than he being 10 forever.Actually his age doesn't matter much.

But he has to stay at the Gym. :< Chili would burn it somehow.

I don't even care any more about anything in this show regarding "Pikachu lost to this; Ash never ages; bla blah blah"....I just watch it. xD Maybe since time doesn't go by, Pokemon in the anime verse battle in Flat Battles.

Vernikova

Champion
Don't know,but it works so whatever.

Glad you see things my way.

Yes,he did forget.He makes mistakes sometimes.So what?Besides,you say it as if he does it literally all the time.

I said that he did it and it was not fun to watch. It's not my fault that you exaggerated my claims.

Lil Jimmy gon get got!

Is he back in the ring yet? I heard that he was injured but I haven't watched in weeks.

Really? Ash can "pause" time and go look up type advantages, move pools, and search through online databases to determine where specific Pokemon can be caught and found? He has in-game dialogue that tells him how effective moves are and how much HP his opponent's Pokemon has? He hears music and a warning tone each time his Pokemon are in critical condition?

I must've missed that.

Let me make myself more clear since you obviously have misunderstood: "Real-world Pokemon battling and anime battling have the same type advantages and disadvantages so that's a non-point." Pokemon type advantages work the same way in both the game and the anime. That was my point. The rest of what you've written has nothing to do with my original post so there's no reason for you to bring that up.

No, the "so what?" is that the anime takes on a more "realistic" style of Pokemon. People in the heat of a moment might make a forgetful error. If you want to watch an anime where the protagonist is in God Mode the whole time, go watch something else.

"Go watch something else" implies that I still watch in the first place. I guess it's easy to assume things. It's simply amazing how you compare "understanding what doesn't work against Ghost-type Pokemon" to being "God Mode the whole time." As if understanding what doesn't work against them makes him "God Mode."

Yeah brosef, sorry we can't all be perfect as you.

I set the bar too high at remembering Pokemon type advantages.

Pikachu has defeated many Ground type Pokemon in the anime before, from Geodude, Onix, and Rhydon, even the Golem in the opening of the Mewtwo movie, with electricity.

Bad writing.

But even though I don't watch the anime like I use to, I'm pretty sure Ash isn't just using non-effective moves constantly.

I never said he did.

Besides, all that is done for is to explain to the kiddies watching that some Pokemon attacks won't damage certain types of Pokemon. It basically serves as "Pokemon 101 with Ash". It's much more effective to SHOW kids an attack won't work than just tell them. It can also be viewed as a suspense builder for the kids as some will probably be thinking "Oh no! That attack won't work! How will Ash win now?!"

Of course.

Clearly, people don't have a great grasp of understanding context. This is what you three are arguing against:

Watching Pikachu destroy everything in the earlier part of the saga wouldn't really be exciting to watch.
Neither was watching him lose to Pokemon that he shouldn't be losing to. Or Ash doing things that he's already learned not to do.

lokoduro

Shinji Time!

I don't even care any more about anything in this show regarding "Pikachu lost to this; Ash never ages; bla blah blah"....I just watch it. xD Maybe since time doesn't go by, Pokemon in the anime verse battle in Flat Battles.

You don't count.You just watch for Dento and FILLER episodes ¬.¬

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
You don't count.You just watch for Dento and FILLER episodes ¬.¬

I guess I never counted. xP My favorite epis when I was little were Filler episodes. xDD Though it did leave me going "Wth?" in AG, and I tried to make sense of it. I assumed Ash was 12. Then now in BW I watched the first episodes and heard he was 10 and laughed my head off. xDDD Like...if it makes sense, it would have bothered me more in AG if they said anything, since that was when I REALLY REALLY cared about the continuity of Pokemon. Now I realize that it's not the kidn of thing that will "grow with you." Yeah. xD

randomspot555

Let me make myself more clear since you obviously have misunderstood: "Real-world Pokemon battling and anime battling have the same type advantages and disadvantages so that's a non-point." Pokemon type advantages work the same way in both the game and the anime. That was my point. The rest of what you've written has nothing to do with my original post so there's no reason for you to bring that up.

And you ignore my point that there is more to Pokemon battling than simply type advantages and disadvantages. Continuing to type "but I wasn't talking about that!!!11!!!11" doesn't make my point any less valid.

"Go watch something else" implies that I still watch in the first place.

Great, so you're a non-fan who is bitter that the anime wasn't your personal fan-fic. Cool.

Vernikova

Champion
And you ignore my point that there is more to Pokemon battling than simply type advantages and disadvantages. Continuing to type "but I wasn't talking about that!!!11!!!11" doesn't make my point any less valid.

I never said that there wasn't more than that to Pokemon battling. No where did I say Pokemon advantages were the be-all end-all for Pokemon battling. I continue to say your point is irrelevant because it isn't relevant to anything that I've said and it's a point that I never even disagreed with or even addressed.

Great, so you're a non-fan who is bitter that the anime wasn't your personal fan-fic. Cool.

Amazing argument. Concession accepted and all of that jazz. Glad to see what PAD has to offer.

gohan5

Irisboy

I agree, I never really cared with the whole Ash doesn't age business, it's a cartoon. I surely don't want Ash to get older so it doesn't bother me. So Pikachu loses a couple of times in the beginning? So what? He's always Ash's strongest Pokemon on hand with the most amount of wins throughout any region so again it's not a big deal. Besides, you could imagine that they could be caught off guard by the new atmosphere and Pokemon, which all come with different strategies. Like someone else said, it's no fun watching Ash go through a region without being pushed. What gets me is that people complain about age and resets and whatever while being fully aware that it always happens, since they've been watching for years, and still get upset. I just watch to enjoy Ash and his new Pokemon, what's wrong with that?

Honeyichigo

The manliest

This is probably the best mindset to watch the show with, really.

voicerocker

Platinum Master
I set the bar too high at remembering Pokemon type advantage

That's to be expected of people who've been with the series for a while, but the 8 year olds that are just getting into Pokemon with Black and White don't know the type advantages. THEY are the main audience after all.

Bad writing.

So if it can't happen in the games, it's bad writing? Why does the anime have to be exactly like the games? That would make the outcome of every battle Ash has more predictable than they already are.

I never said he did.

And I never said you said that. But people (not just you) seem to imply that Ash has become a complete failure because he made one mistake, which was probably only done as part of the reboot for new fans who don't know.

Of course.

Clearly, people don't have a great grasp of understanding context. This is what you three are arguing against:

Well, what do you think they should do?

Born Better

God of Lightning
No he doesnt.Black and White was the first time Ash was reset.

On another note,I'm pretty sure Red's Pikachu beat a Rydon and broke an Onix using electricit,yet no one *censored* about that.

No he doesnt.Black and White was the first time Ash was reset.

On another note,I'm pretty sure Red's Pikachu beat a Rydon and broke an Onix using electricit,yet no one *censored* about that.

It's because certain people think Red is flawless, but that's what I think.

Vernikova

Champion
That's to be expected of people who've been with the series for a while, but the 8 year olds that are just getting into Pokemon with Black and White don't know the type advantages. THEY are the main audience after all.

The two example I pointed out were from late-AG. Then again, I guess new new viewers are coming in every episode.

So if it can't happen in the games, it's bad writing? Why does the anime have to be exactly like the games? That would make the outcome of every battle Ash has more predictable than they already are.

No. When it's established in the anime that Electric-type moves don't affect Ground-type Pokemon but it works anyway it's bad writing.

And I never said you said that. But people (not just you) seem to imply that Ash has become a complete failure because he made one mistake, which was probably only done as part of the reboot for new fans who don't know.

I never meant to imply that he was a failure in any way. I was just voicing my opinion that seeing him do those things was annoying.

Well, what do you think they should do?

Nothing. I just said that it was annoying when they did that.