1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

People need to get over time not passing

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by ArielSummer, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Red Ketchum

Red Ketchum Member

Granted, there are errors that Ash makes in battles, yet he's not terrible. Pokemon seem to grow far slower in the anime than in the game though, so he can't power train as well as pokemon gamers. Again though Ash had aged, and as voicerocker said above, BW is basically a reboot, not a continuation. I, personally, think this is stupid, but hey I don't write the show. Some of these questions though are impossible, like how Pikachu could hold off an Entei Replica in Pokemon 3 but get's beaten by Roark in DP, the easiest gym leader to beat in the Sinnoh League.

2. MidnightMelody

MidnightMelody Hopeful for Gen 8

Gotta love how you guys derail the Pokemon anime threads most of the time XD. I don't think Ash not aging is a big deal. People need to pull up those diapers and deal with it.

3. I completely agree. I can understand resetting him to make the season more like the original series, but still, I find this new Ash kind of annoying. I like the AG and DP much better.

4. Red Ketchum

Red Ketchum Member

Well I bet there will eventually be a new main character... I honestly can't see Pokemon ever shutting down until the world ends.... maybe he'll age haha...

5. matt0044

matt0044 Well-Known Member

There should've been one for Unova with Ash guest appearing later on. At least the new guy would have an excuse for acting like he's, well, new to Pokemon training. Unless it's canon that Ash got accidental brain damage before BW01, he's got no excuses (in-universe, that is).

6. Red Ketchum

Red Ketchum Member

To be honest I fully agree. The creators may deny that this is the case but I'd call BW a whole new series. Like in a continuity of its own because of 3 things. Where are ANY of his previous travelling companions? Why has he de-aged? And of course what you said. He's now a brain-damaged beginning trainer again.

Maybe this new Ash will age, but I doubt it will happen until a series reboot years from now with different stars.

7. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

They deny it's the case because it's not the case.

[spoil]You mean like the one who just showed up last week?[/spoil]

He hasn't. He never aged in the first place.

It's not a new Ash. It is not a reboot. There is nothing to debate here. Your case is indefensible.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  8. Red Ketchum

Red Ketchum Member

Do you know what a series reboot or movie reboot even is? IT'S A RETELLING OF A STORY. It doesn't have to entirely eliminate a whole story such as Dawn's character, but it also doesn't have to support it. AND YES HE HAS DE-AGED. Do your research. Ash is age 10 when he initially leaves Pallet Town. Pokemon 3, in the anime canon, Ash has his 1 year anniversary of becoming Pikachu's friend. Now even if we ignore THE REST OF JOHTO, HOENN, SINNOH, AND THE WHOLE BATTLE FRONTIER SAGA PRIOR TO SINNOH, he's now again 10. And as was stated earlier, he doesn't even retain much information from the prior seasons, if any.

If you'd like to respond to this post I will reply back, if not, I have about 3 or 4 postings on this one page so I'm gonna leave this alone. And if you do read through this topic you'll find I'm not the only one who shares the above opinion.

9. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

And this isn't one. Pretty simple.

[spoil]Sooooo we're ignoring how the new opening has all of his past Pokémon in it too?[/spoil]

CAPITAL LETTERS. That's about as thin a pretense as it gets, given how time does/doesn't move in this series.

Multiple people holding the same wrong viewpoint doesn't actually make it less wrong.

Again, there's no debate here. You're arguing a 100% indefensible position. You might as well try and make the case that the moon is in fact made of green cheese - the evidence is about the same.

10. (P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N) AshXSerena = Canon

Advance gen maybe, but diamond and pearl.. No lol, he was more mature in diamond and pearl but lacked character, while in hoenn he was a little bit less mature, but he was atleast entertaining.

11. cg19293

cg19293 Well-Known Member

I've never been too bothered about Ash not aging. It's pretty necessary for the show. Kids are more likely to tune into a show about a 10 year old kid travelling all over the place catching and battling pokemon than some teenager.

Only thing I'm bothered about in this series is the lack of past references: I mean, I wish Ash would act like he's been to the latter stages of 4 pokemon league tournaments and won the battle frontier. If it's supposed to be a reboot then they should have used a new character

12. Red Ketchum

Red Ketchum Member

I agree I would like to see a series actually based on a trainer from one of the generations of games. Sure Ash is slightly based on a combination of Red/Satoshi but it's not the same. Like look at the anime style trailer for black and white 2. That looked twice as good as the show does in my opinion, and they don't look like they're 10 (I love Ash, but, just as you said, I wish he'd at least act like he's grown as a character, whether he aged or not.

Oh I wouldn't say it's a reboot though, BCVM22 the resident omniscient might display a feeble attempt at shooting down the belief.

13. matt0044

matt0044 Well-Known Member

Honestly, whether a kid or two likes a protagonist of Pokemon shouldn't be determined by his age (at least not alone). Ash could be 14 since it's young enough to act youthful and old enough so it's more believable that he can manage himself in the world better. What truly matters is his personality and whether our not he's a likable character. I mean, Monkey D. Luffy starts out as a young adult at (if I remember right) 19 years old yet acted pretty childish (or rather Shonen-ish if you'd like). And the Power Rangers and Super Sentai are for kids yet have young adults and teenagers as the colored heroes with a few exceptions (like Justin, unfortunately). So Ash doesn't have to be just ten or stay ten to be hip with the kids today or then. So long as he's youthful and likable as a character, it's good.

14. ArielSummer

ArielSummer Well-Known Member

Please he's not brain damaged. He is perfectly fine after the first few eps. Getting back on topic though this is not about Ash's skills but people getting over the age issues which we have discussed already. So if a mod wants to close this derailed thread now they can.

15. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

If people don't frequent the spoiler material, that's fine, but this issue - if issue it is - is being addressed in the currently-airing material.

Again, funny thing about that: it's not supposed to be a reboot. Because it isn't. I am amazed we are still having this discussion two years later.

Only having to produce four minutes of animation once as opposed to 20-some minutes of animation weekly will allow for that.

Arguing against an indefensible case makes one "omniscient" these days? Talk about falling standards. You used to have to at least part a sea or something for them to consider you.

Ah yes, it's definitely my comments here that are "feeble attempts".

16. Caseydia

Caseydia Ace Trainer

Heh. I agree. I never cared about the whole aging thing. It's a kids show. Either Ash would have to stay a kid or they would have to replace him with another kid who's just as dim as he is. They would have never made Black a main character because of his age. Now I understand how all of this works.

17. ArielSummer

ArielSummer Well-Known Member

Plus people are acting like Ash is really stupid but forget characters in these kinda of shows tend to be like that. Naruto,Goku,Luffy etc.

18. Red Ketchum

Red Ketchum Member

Like you said this isn't about his skills, but I don't think he's stupid. I just think that every time he reachese a new region now it's like he's a beginner again. The age argument will go back and forth either way, probably best to just accept it or believe whatever age you think he is, his maturity is what matters more than his age.

Btw BCVM22 I'm done arguing with you. There are people like you everywhere who think they know everything, yet know nothing. You proved nothing and merely overlooked the arguments of mine you could not defeat. ALSO this is a thread ON ASH's AGE, not a debate on whether you or I think it's a reboot. SO either shut up and move on like I will do, or talk about the topic, thanks.

19. Ash&Pikachu-Fan

Ash&Pikachu-Fan Pika-Speed

Well I have no problem Ash not ageing, its more funnier that way besides people only care cause they are ageing but on the bright side its nice to know we can always watch Pokemon :)

20. Blessed

Blessed Well-Known Member

What even like, Day & Night goes by but they don't age.... because the powers that be the writers keep it that way.