1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

People need to get over time not passing

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by ArielSummer, Jun 30, 2012.

1. randomspot555

randomspot555 Well-Known Member

BW literally starts with the first three of the four characters introduced in EP001: Oak, Ash, and Ash's Mom (the one human character missing of the four is Gary). It also starts in Ash's room where several of his Sinnoh trophies were shown.

Now as a character, Ash had a bit of a soft reboot. But cmon, he came to Unova initially on a family vacation, not to battle 8 gyms and a regional league.

2. Red Ketchum

Red Ketchum Member

Makes me wish I had writers haha

3. munchlaxboy

munchlaxboy Catching up on XY

*Forgot Misty. ;D

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  4. Izanagi

Izanagi 'Sup!

I really don't have a problem with Ash never aging the problem is that he retains any of his development between sagas. I know why they do but even then it doesn't excuse the series other problems.

5. xJeffx

xJeffx Well-Known Member

Even if Ash did age his personality would not change. Look at Palmer he's a frontier brain and he still act like a child.
    Anyway Ash would be 24 if he aged during the series. It would be kind of awkward with him traveling with his companions.

6. randomspot555

randomspot555 Well-Known Member

Misty wasn't one of the first four characters introduced in EP001. She was #5.

Oak, Delilah, and Ash are all introduced before Ash even leaves the house. We run into Gary on the way to Oak's. Misty isn't seen until after he leaves Pallet.

7. Alfon

Alfon Big Game

Ash not aging mirrors how the actual game never really changed lol.

It really is only an issue for those who've been following pokemon beforehand, other than that the "newcomers" to pokemon find no problem with the current ash.

For me, like most of you... would of love to see some growth and progression but then again haven't really payed attention to the anime that much.

8. Born Better

Born Better God of Lightning

9. Rex Kamex

Rex Kamex Well-Known Member

As much as I wish Ash aged, there's no clue as to how many hundreds of episodes Ash'll have. By this point, he might as well not age. In any case, I'm glad BW! actually said what his age is since... we have an update. Not a fan of the whole "interpret it yourself" idea for Ash's age.

Time in general is messed up in Pokemon. People going back in time and but not effectively changing the future enough and whatnot.

That's assuming he automatically would age around our time.

But I do feel that, hypothetically speaking, Ash's personality shouldn't have a complete 180 change in personality once he got older.

10. Lol @ people saying BW is a reboot. I honestly don't understand why people complain about characters not aging in a show aimed at young children when it wouldn't change anything.

11. TicoPokemonMaster

TicoPokemonMaster Well-Known Member

I don't know if this has been mention before, but...

For those who say that no one ages in the anime. Its been shown time and time again that characters have flash backs to when they were kids (i.e Brock, Ash, Gary, Misty, Ash's Mom,Professor Oak, May, Dawn, James, Jessie, Trip, Sabrina... ) the list is endless. So yes people do have a reason to complain. Then again this is a kids show and it really isn't aimed at the older audience. The writers probably think we have moved on by now.

12. Demonsead

Demonsead Hoenn Challenger

Once you realize Ash and Pikachu are just marketing tools that are never going to win and will never the show, you're not left with much reason to watch the series beside the token curiosity of seeing Pokemon animated, or the other characters if you get desperate.

13. ArielSummer

ArielSummer Well-Known Member

They have the same flashbacks in Simpsons and people don't *****. Your point is invalid.

14. Vernikova

Vernikova Champion

Suggesting that people watch the Simpsons for it's over-arching plot? I'm sure people don't care as much when it comes to comedies as they do with action-adventure shows.

15. Pippi

Pippi Cool

I've never really cared about Ash not aging. It was just never that big of a deal to me. How he doesn't wise up over any of the regions is what annoys me, if anything.

16. flamebeam

flamebeam DAYN-JUH ZONE!

im actually one of those few who DOES care about ash aging:
    • i've been watching this show for over ten years. i dont appreciate that it "resets"
    • i am pro-shipping. i think ash is "old enough" to have a girlfriend
    • ash should be "old enough" to have "teenage problems", both internally(emotionally) and in his life
    • i think time should move similarly to dragonball ( just not NEARLY as dramatically). that way, ash can be older and use his past experiences in future situations. (ex: iris' emolga was attacked by a flock of rufflet and ash uses his experience from ep.001 to help her)
    • idc that its a kids show. so was yugioh. so was dragonball (z,gt,etc.). so was digimon. is it COMPLETELY selfish to give us longtome viewers what we want???

17. Born Better

Born Better God of Lightning

Just gonna comment on that last one.Digimon,Yu-Gi-Oh,and DBZ are all shonen made for older audiences,that just so happened to be really popular with younger audiences.And no,it's not selfish because we're not the target audience.

18. MidnightMelody

MidnightMelody Hopeful for Gen 8

Those shows were not used to promote a show. Yugioh got the card game after it was in the manga unlike Pokemon that has a game before the anime People need to stop being so butthurt about it and deal with it. This series is aimed at kids. They don't give a damn if your older then the age its your fault for watching. Beggars can't be choosers.

19. voicerocker

voicerocker Platinum Master

You are aware of why they do this though. The show is probably only expected to keep its audience until they hit their teens. That's was around the time all the people I knew that were into Pokemon got out.

He's 10. He's not quite at an age where he should be expected to have a serious on-screen relationship. Besides, his first goal is becoming a Pokemon Master. He's shown no real interest in girls at all.

Once again, he can't have teen problems if he's not a teen. And these internal conflicts would probably shift the focus away from Ash's journey as a trainer and the Pokemon.

In most kids shows (whether they're American or Japanese) the heroes are kids. It's so the main audience can relate to them. And as much as I love the Dragon Ball series, I don't see why Pokemon has to follow the same "rules" just because it's an anime too.

Also if Ash retained ALL of his "experiences" from 15 years of Pokemon, he'd already be an expert that would know exactly what to do in every situation. If that was the case, he might as well take all of his strongest Pokemon like Charizard and Sceptile with him to the next region from the start.

I've never seen a Japanese episode of Yu-gi-oh, but I've heard it is pretty dark. And I KNOW Dragon Ball was not a kids show. Guys having arms ripped off, coughing up blood, being cut in half...yeah, not a kids show.

Most of the older viewers got into Pokemon when they were kids. That is why they don't cater to teens or adults. Kids will always be getting into Pokemon, while teens and adults are more likely to get out of Pokemon as they get older. It's ok to want something aimed at an older audience, but when people start saying a change is needed is when you become selfish.

20. blaze boy

blaze boy Aka SamuraiDon

Then you need to get over it.

But the younger audiences who may have never seen any of Ash's past adventure sure will.

Ash's 10 years old, he is far too young to have a girlfriend.

He's 10 years old what's so hard to understand about that?

Because Iris isn't Ash and is her own character who has her own story ark.

Remember the younger audiences don't care about Ash's past experiences.

The writer don't care about their long time viewers and remember the animé only exist to sell the game.

Dragon Ball is a kids show in Japan, don't be under illusion that it isn't.